• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

[SPOILER] V's face leaked

berto

I Saw the Devil
That's kinda uncanny valley problem. The problem that they scan face, but when they animate it it adds mimic, folds and expression that goes against of source material.
So, how'd that happen? Nero isn't having those issues, why is Dante? I honestly think their alterations made his look... well, blah. I'm still hoping that down the line he'll be fixing himself up because Dante might have a messy office but he's never been unkempt. Scruffy but never downright raggety the way he is now. I'm really crossing my fingers for that shave and a haircut. It's only 2 bits.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
So, how'd that happen? Nero isn't having those issues, why is Dante? I honestly think their alterations made his look... well, blah. I'm still hoping that down the line he'll be fixing himself up because Dante might have a messy office but he's never been unkempt. Scruffy but never downright raggety the way he is now. I'm really crossing my fingers for that shave and a haircut. It's only 2 bits.
I'm with you on this. I think they tried to hard to make him look raggedy and overdone it. But than again, I'm not a fan of RE engine. It's really uncanny valley on many faces. They made Leon Kennedy from RE into Justin Bieber xD

berto

I Saw the Devil
I'm with you on this. I think they tried to hard to make him look raggedy and overdone it. But than again, I'm not a fan of RE engine. It's really uncanny valley on many faces. They made Leon Kennedy from RE into Justin Bieber xD
Well, I get the idea, that Dante lost the fight and he's been, I don't know, doing the Rocky V thing or fighting to survive after he lost and now he's back but didn't have access to a shower. Whatever the story is I'm hoping he'll look better before the game ends.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Well, I get the idea, that Dante lost the fight and he's been, I don't know, doing the Rocky V thing or fighting to survive after he lost and now he's back but didn't have access to a shower. Whatever the story is I'm hoping he'll look better before the game ends.
I just hope it won't show the end of Dante. Basically you play as Dante till fight with Urizen, but after that he defeated and story goes with Nero and V....

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I don't see it.

How are this:
Dan5.png

And this:
Adam%20Cowie%20055-816x1000.jpg

The same? SImilar, but hardly the same. I sure as hell wouldn't think they're twins if they walked down the street together. I think they might've changed too much. Maybe the head is too wide or the chin is off. It looks like they gave Dante a turkey neck.
To be honest, I actually like the new face.

I like that he looks the way he's always lived; a bit of a slouchy, lazy, good-for-nothing who can barely find the time to take care of himself. Or a burn-out as some would say. It reflects Dante very well and reminds me more so of the way he was in DMC1. I find this to make more sense instead of the overly handsome Bishonen look they've had for him since DMC3.
Man, the guy seems so out of place. He looks more like the awkward kid in a teen comedy than anyone of note who could actually kick ass in the DMC verse.
His look is pretty much everything I'd expect from Devil May Cry: Emo, edgy, and a lot of leather.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I don’t get why Dante’s face looks so weird. They get this super good looking guy to be his face but he just looks off, what with his face looking all squinty and scrunched and with the bridge of his nose always looking way too wide he just looks weird, and I think the hair style they went with isn’t helping. He just looks off every time I see him and it makes me worry.

It's probably facial capture issues. I think Reuben Langdon is still doing the mocap. Reuben really doesn't look like that model so it could be resulting in some synching issues. Dante looks fine to me when he isn't expressive.

They have months before release so they could and I mean COULD not will iron it out so it looks less jarring.

I honestly doubt Dante will have the time to get a haircut, shave, and clean up when ya know........a demonic tree is killing people and draining their blood to be used to crown the new ruler of hell. Sometimes there are more important things in life than looks.

But I guess by the end of the game he probably will get cleaned up. He gotta look good for that casket.:laugh:

I think I found out who V may have been based on.

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Valmiro

latest

I guess Itsuno is referencing his own work.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I like that he looks the way he's always lived; a bit of a slouchy, lazy, good-for-nothing who can barely find the time to take care of himself. Or a burn-out as some would say.
And this is why I hate the anime so damn much. That is the only time Dante was a hobo or anything of the sort of what you are describing was then and then after that damn thing, suddenly, that is the only way people see him. And a burn-out? Since when?

It reflects Dante very well and reminds me more so of the way he was in DMC1.
Seriously? This is how you saw him in DMC1? A slouge, good for nothing, lazy burn-out? Our perceptions of Dante in that game couldn't be any more different than if you told me he wasn't wearing red, it was polka dots.

I honestly doubt Dante will have the time to get a haircut, shave, and clean up when ya know........a demonic tree is killing people and draining their blood to be used to crown the new ruler of hell.
Well, not so much killing people, not anymore. By the time Nero gets there everyone's already dead and I'm assuming Dante got there after him.

Sometimes there are more important things in life than looks.
I've been studying a bit of history and you'd be surprised at how important looks are. It's why kings and presidents look the part while their country might be in poverty, because if you ruler, the man that represents your nation and your people, looks like a hobo it would speak volumes about your nation.

In the same way Dante always strides to be an imposing figure. In the novel it mentions how he tries to keep up appearances, to create and effect. So, yes, his looks are important to him.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I like that he looks the way he's always lived; a bit of a slouchy, lazy, good-for-nothing who can barely find the time to take care of himself.

I'm with Berto here, aside from the anime and DMC2, he was never portrayed as slouchy or lazy. Quite the opposite, he's always energetic and ready to get into the action. The only scene I can think of is when Lady visits him in DMC4 but he was just chilling in his office. As soon as he heard that the Order might have been up to no good, he immediately sprung up from his chair.
I truly wish the anime and DMC2 were erased from canon.

I find this to make more sense instead of the overly handsome Bishonen look they've had for him since DMC3.

And I don't get this either. He was ALWAYS portrayed as a handsome, well kept guy, not just since DMC3. He was exceptionally handsome in DMC1, and he was exceptionally handsome in DMC2.

That said, Itsuno has said that there is a reason why Dante's looking as rough as he is, so it's not like they made him look unkept just because.
Besides, I thought y'all were talking about the sheer graphical aspect of the way he looks, not the design decision of portraying him as a more "wild" person.

Last edited:

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
And this is why I hate the anime so damn much. That is the only time Dante was a hobo or anything of the sort of what you are describing was then and then after that damn thing, suddenly, that is the only way people see him. And a burn-out? Since when?

Seriously? This is how you saw him in DMC1? A slouge, good for nothing, lazy burn-out? Our perceptions of Dante in that game couldn't be any more different than if you told me he wasn't wearing red, it was polka dots.

Well, not so much killing people, not anymore. By the time Nero gets there everyone's already dead and I'm assuming Dante got there after him.

I've been studying a bit of history and you'd be surprised at how important looks are. It's why kings and presidents look the part while their country might be in poverty, because if you ruler, the man that represents your nation and your people, looks like a hobo it would speak volumes about your nation.

In the same way Dante always strides to be an imposing figure. In the novel it mentions how he tries to keep up appearances, to create and effect. So, yes, his looks are important to him.

True but they still gotta stop that fruit from being completed and we don't know for sure if everyone in the city is dead or if the tree's roots will keep spreading. According to Goliath's dialogue he still needs more sacrifices. I doubt in times of intense crisis Dante will think to himself "Hmmmm I need to get a haircut and shave first".

You clearly don't understand how modern fashion works these days. Don't you know looking homeless is the IN thing these days.:D:D:D

Kanye-West-Collection.jpg

kanye-west-sweatshift-yeezy-season-2-gty-ft.jpg

latest

Yeah but Dante isn't a ruler or a king (or royalty). He is a dude who kills demons for a living and barely gets by (considering he is always in debt).

If you're referring to the DMC1 novel like isn't that not canon anymore since DMC3's existence heavily contradicts it. Also that is written by someone who hasn't been with the DMC writing staff after DMC1. Also like Dante is like older now maybe he just cares a bit less about his looks.

Dude was in hell for God knows how long. I bet finding a barbershop there was probably a b**ch. He came back got his ass kicked by a demon king who never got his ass out of his chair. Nearly dies and somehow makes it how alive. A town he might have some special connection to (according to Matt) is being devastated by the same guy responsible for his embarrassing defeat.

We don't know the full context of the story. Itsuno in an interview said there is a story behind his beard (same way how there is a story behind Nico's tattoos). Last I check Lady and Trish were with him when they tried to fight Urizen and were out cold and I didn't see them escape with Nero and V. Perhaps and its only theory one of (or both of them) were killed during that time and this may have gravely upset Dante.

One early leak said this Dante is apparently the most serious he has ever been (while still maintaining some of his fun and quippy nature) and the theme of this game is vengeance.

Besides he doesn't look all that bad. Outside some unkempt hair and overgrown facial hair. His clothes look fine and stylish (a lot less over the top and flamboyant than usual but this game is going for a more realistic look) and clean....mostly.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I doubt in times of intense crisis Dante will think to himself "Hmmmm I need to get a haircut and shave first".
Here's hoping you're wrong.

You clearly don't understand how modern fashion works these days.
Being fashionable isn't exactly what I had in mind. It's about presenting an image.

Don't you know looking homeless is the IN thing these days.:D:D:D

Kanye-West-Collection.jpg

kanye-west-sweatshift-yeezy-season-2-gty-ft.jpg

latest
And depressed as hell, it seems. Not a quality I'd associate with Dante, either.

Yeah but Dante isn't a ruler or a king (or royalty). He is a dude who kills demons for a living and barely gets by (considering he is always in debt).
That was just an example to illustrate that appearances are, indeed, important. If that correlation was too indirect and the only examples that don't fly too far off base are ones that are more direct then take fighters and warriors. The Samurai dressed as demons to scare their opponents. The Māori would make faces and possess to intimidate their opponents, and it often work. Football players make threats or act overly aggressive to psych out the other team when they're face to face at the line. MMA fighters talk big to each other before a fight to try to get into the other's head, to shake their confidence. It's not just for the press and audience. And so on and so forth. Dante's appearance is his shield. His way of presenting himself against his opponent.

If you're referring to the DMC1 novel like isn't that not canon anymore since DMC3's existence heavily contradicts it.
And yet we have a huge reference to the novel in Nico. The events might no longer have happened as the novel says anymore but clearly it still holds merit.

Also that is written by someone who hasn't been with the DMC writing staff after DMC1.
He wasn't actually ever a staff member. He was an independent writer. He also did the DMC2 novel.

Besides he doesn't look all that bad.
There are a thousand and one memes about how he looks like a hobo. Yeah, it's that bad.

His clothes look fine and stylish (a lot less over the top and flamboyant than usual but this game is going for a more realistic look) and clean....mostly.
His coat is supposed to be red and it's brown. His face is clearly dirty and his hair is shaggy. That does scream clean to me and I'm surprised it does to you.

Bottom line, I don't like it. He looks off in so many different small and large ways and it's unappealing to me, especially since I'm this thing for Dante, not Nero or V. When your favorite characters gets a makeover that's basically the opposite of a makeover you can bet people will say so and, well, this is me hoping in two weeks I'll be changing my tune because I don't want to be saying so till release and beyond.

Edit:
Just as a side note. Dante's outfit is actually a leftover from the production of DMC4:
concept.jpg

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

I'm with Berto here, aside from the anime and DMC2, he was never portrayed as slouchy or lazy. Quite the opposite, he's always energetic and ready to get into the action. The only scene I can think of is when Lady visits him in DMC4 but he was just chilling in his office. As soon as he heard that the Order might have been up to no good, he immediately sprung up from his chair.
I truly wish the anime and DMC2 were erased from canon.

And I don't get this either. He was ALWAYS portrayed as a handsome, well kept guy, not just since DMC3. He was exceptionally handsome in DMC1, and he was exceptionally handsome in DMC2.

That said, Itsuno has said that there is a reason why Dante's looking as rough as he is, so it's not like they made him look unkept just because.
Besides, I thought y'all were talking about the sheer graphical aspect of the way he looks, not the design decision of portraying him as a more "wild" person.

I mean with a business like Dante's I doubt the pay is very affordable. Based on DMC the anime and DMC4, pay for Dante is pretty lousy. Especially with Lady and Trish sucking him dry. Plus sometimes his home doesn't seem to have power sometimes. I can imagine he doesn't really have all he needs besides the roof over his head, running water, and the basic necessities.(pizza and beer)

Also I'd say Dante was good looking in DMC1 & 2 but not to the degree of looking a tad bishonen by anime standards like he did in 3 and 4. (especially 4)

I just find DMC5 Dante to look a little better in comparison. It shows his age and just how rough and tumble Dante can get since he seems to be so clean cut and groomed well for someone who rips into demon guts every other week.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
V looks more DmC than DMC. I wouldn't mind if he had more of an Doctor Who look- specificaly the eight doctor

His debut-
9df87477dacc0a5055d7a43ebf829443.jpg

His last televised appearance-
kisspng-paul-mcgann-eighth-doctor-doctor-who-war-doctor-doctor-5ac8f18153ffc9.7901832015231184653441.jpg

Dante's look might have been better if he had his DMC2 look- you could just say "hey he looks like he just been through the DMC2 cliffhanger" and roll with it.

Top Bottom