• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Split (M. Night Shyamalan)

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
You don't have to agree...
No, I don't agree, but this is only because Night never explained how the aliens were desperate -- he left it up to us to figure out, and I didn't like that.

While I'll admit it was sort of ahead of its time in that regard (District 9 took the Alien Desperation concept and expanded upon it) it still goes to show that sometimes, you need to show why movie monsters can do some things and how other things slow them down.

berto

I Saw the Devil
never explained how
left it up to us to figure out,
and I didn't like that.
Like I said, you don't have to like it, I ain't your dad, I'm not going to make you eat the meat loaf and tell you that you better like it, but because there just isn't enough exposition seem a bit unfair, especially since the story revolves around a family who are just trying to survive and not a military team or a group of scientists who are in the center of it all and are trying to save us, they'd have more reason to actually know all that stuff, more access to that information and the tools and help. If you know and understand something, like why or how aliens operate, then you can rationalize it and once you do a lot suspense is lifted, gone.

Even without suspense or horror I prefer a film that won't just say everything out loud. Ambiguity is frustrating but it's also more fascinating, it makes you think and imagine, and even if you want the official word people talk about that which isn't clear for longer than for the ones that had concrete everything laid out in front. With that being said I didn't find Signs all that ambiguous, it seemed pretty straightforward to me. It wasn't about the aliens, it was about the family and their reactions to this world changing event.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Are you trying to tell me what I like? You don't have to agree, but I'm telling you why, anyway. Smarter people than I have made better arguments for each film, not like it's that weird.

No, I'm not saying you can't like it. I'm just pointing out how stupid his films are. And you just ignored all the things I pointed out so I assume it's just because you don't have a response anymore.

Serious question, does M. Night Shymalan honestly still think his name sells movies anymore? With every film he makes, he sure goes out of his way to make damn sure we know its from him.

Maybe he's just giving a warning though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope
@Chancey289, I think he's depressingly aware. Most of his movies trailers mention that he's the director of Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, movies he's made around a decade ago and that represented the peak of his career. I think the dude just wants to make movies.

berto

I Saw the Devil
And you just ignored all the things I pointed out so I assume it's just because you don't have a response anymore.
Did you really want me to respond to every single point? You clearly already made up yer mind yet you want me to prove to you that the aliens weren't dumb, or what about the Village (which apparently did get sued) is it's saving grace, and so on, and you want me to do with what I can only assume are pretty demanding requirements. Why would I do that when you seem so dead set on your opinion? While I wouldn't mind the debate you really seem set and inflexible in your stand so live and let live. Dislike them all you want and stand by your opinion. I like the movies and you won't be able to talk me into not nor I you into so and that's why I'm not pushing the issue.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
It wasn't about the aliens, it was about the family and their reactions to this world changing event.
I enjoy meatloaf.

But anyway, I'm just saying I think it could've been fixed with a few lines of dialogue. If they were wearing tinfoil hats, they could've been listening to a ham radio "underground" station where the broadcaster said that while the aliens were indeed strong, a simple barricade could be enough to stop them for the time being.

Also, in Soul Reaver, vampires were also vulnerable to normal water (which made me theorize that they bathe in alcohol instead) -- so, the broadcaster simply could've told his or her viewers his findings on the aliens from when he went investigating into Area 51.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I'm willing to give it a try. My biggest beef with Night was when he did The Last Airbender movie, because--well, in a nutshell? He screwed everything up. The pronunciation of names, characters' personalities (which came across like cardboard), the obvious cultural affiliations between the Avatar world and our own (anyone who's watched the series can tell you that the Fire Nation was predominantly modelled after the Japanese, the Water Tribes after the Inuit, etc.)

The list goes on.

That said, I didn't mind Unbreakable or Signs, though they aren't movies I watch often anymore. Sixth Sense was alright, but for some reason it just never wowed me. Funny enough, I own Lady in the Water, but have yet to watch it; too many movies on my shelves. ^^;

All in all, Night may not be the greatest movie director, but his work isn't the worst I've seen, either. I'd rather judge his works individually, than assume they're either all **** or all great just because his name is attached to them.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well... The only way I can describe it is that The Last Airbender had the literal quality of a made for TV children's movie, like the stuff Nick, Cartoon Network, or Disney Channel would've produced for their audience, but with a much higher budget. The acting, the writing, the fighting, it was all just so sub par... Well except for Iroh and Zuko, those two were the one saving grace of that whole movie. But over all they made very poor choices all around with what they had. The worst part is I could get behind all the changes, I even liked the direction they went with, the way they pronounced Ang, the small changes to the story, they way Zuko and Iroh looked and acted and all the variations from the actual show; all that stuff was fine, it was just the crap production that killed it for me.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
looks really interesting. i heard the visit was pretty good, so i might check that out.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
Looks Promising. JM can do a messed up character (i.e. Filth) so that should be good. I'm not a huge fan of Shyamallama but he knows how to do suspense. I think it'll help him that there isn't anything apparently supernatural about the movie-- just human characters and their interactions driving the plot forward. That was always my favorite way to see a suspenseful flick. Might be amazing, might be OK, but I'm struggling to envision it being a through-and-through bad movie.

I used to smoke weed outside the gate to the director's mansion sometimes. Because of our deep, close connection from those days maybe I'll get a ticket and see it in the theatre.

Last edited:

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
isn't this movie about multiple personalities? a friend told me about this..

the twist is probably everything only happened in his mind and that he's actually bruce willis..

okay, either way i'm excited for the sake of a twist..

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
isn't this movie about multiple personalities? a friend told me about this..

the twist is probably everything only happened in his mind and that he's actually bruce willis..

okay, either way i'm excited for the sake of a twist..
Shymalan thinks that a twist just for the sake of it will make his films worth it. A good storyteller doesn't bank all of the experience on just a payoff because if it fails to deliver, you're stuck with a story that's just all around bad with no saving grace.

And it's not like his twist have really been good. Either they are immensely stupid, or extremely underwhelming and or predictable.

I'm calling it right now, the twist in Split, is that the guy is a werewolf.

absolitude

Shymalan thinks that a twist just for the sake of it will make his films worth it. A good storyteller doesn't bank all of the experience on just a payoff because if it fails to deliver, you're stuck with a story that's just all around bad with no saving grace.

i kinda agree with this..

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
That's just silly.
Is it really? This is M. Night Shymalan we're talking about here. The same guy who had a kid read invisible prophecies off cereal boxes in the cabinet. Tried to have people take toast landing jelly side down as a serious indication of satan being nearby. Had people run away from the wind (like that's possible) when plants sent out an airborne pathogen that made people kill themselves and yell random ****.

Silly is kind of his thing.

But the reason I say he's probably a werewolf is because there's emphasis on one of his split personalities being "the beast" and it can apparently change is physical form. With even a mention specifically about hair. So, maybe he kinda revealed too much.

I mean, I could be wrong, but I didn't just randomly come to the conclusion of werewolf for nothing.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
Is it really? This is M. Night Shymalan we're talking about here. The same guy who had a kid read invisible prophecies off cereal boxes in the cabinet. Tried to have people take toast landing jelly side down as a serious indication of satan being nearby. Had people run away from the wind (like that's possible) when plants sent out an airborne pathogen that made people kill themselves and yell random ****.
Yes. Silly is subjective and I find this silly.
The character may alter his appearance when it happens (as hinted in the trailer) but you'd only be right if that happened on a full moon. That's why it's silly.

absolitude

i find chancey's guess as a wut too.. but there is a drawing of a furry creature on the trailer.. this is interesting if it's a possible werewolf..

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
The trailer made me think McAvoy could possibly pull off being Moon Knight if he wants to play another Superhero:wink:.

It was cool tho.

Top Bottom