• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Split (M. Night Shyamalan)

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope
I can never be too sure with Shyamalan movies, but I know James McAvoy will not disappoint me.

Overall, I feel like the concept is very intriguing and will benefit greatly from a good execution. Let's just hope Shyamalan still has it in him.

Halfway through that trailer, I actually thought it was gonna be a ripoff of 10 Cloverfield Lane. Glad I was proven wrong.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Will be waiting for Nostalgia Critic to rip on this movie. That's what Shyamalan's movies are for for me personally now.

Lost trust in this guy a long time ago.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
It's a Shymalan film, so don't hold your breath. It's probably going to be terrible even if the amazingly talented James McAvoy is leading it.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
So, I'm guessing the big twist at the end is that James's McAvoy's character is a werewolf.

The beast? A split personality that changes his physical being and particular pointing out hair? I'm guessing that's the big reveal.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I like most Shyamalan movies, even the ones no one else did, but his work did deteriorate as time progressed so I don't know if I trust him but I do trust McAvoy so I'd be willing to give it a go... Depending on reviews it'll be either on DVD or an actual ticket.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I like most Shyamalan movies, even the ones no one else did, but his work did deteriorate as time progressed so I don't know if I trust him but I do trust McAvoy so I'd be willing to give it a go... Depending on reviews it'll be either on DVD or an actual ticket.
What do you mean by most? His ONLY good movies are The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Tbh, I've liked most of his movies. At the very least, they're entertaining. And that's not a bad thing for a movie to be. Haven't seen the Visit yet (because I'll never visit my older family members again if I do), but I still am holding out hope that this one will be good and interesting.

berto

I Saw the Devil
What do you mean by most? His ONLY good movies are The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.
I mean most. The only ones I didn't like were The Last Airbender and Lady in the Water. I liked the Village, I liked Devil, I liked Signs, and for all the crap people give After Earth I still liked it... I wouldn't pay to see it or own it but I didn't hate it.

(because I'll never visit my older family members again if I do)
Nah, you're ok, unless they are your estranged family.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I mean most. The only ones I didn't like were The Last Airbender and Lady in the Water. I liked the Village, I liked Devil, I liked Signs, and for all the crap people give After Earth I still liked it... I wouldn't pay to see it or own it but I didn't hate it.

The Village is just a less interesting ripoff of the novel "Running Out of Time". Literally, the similarities are so striking it's a freaking miracle no one was sued. They are both about a young girl who's on the search for medical supplies in a town that's stuck in the 1800s with elders guarding the truth. Like, the ONLY difference is that the people in the town are a part of a genetic experiment in the novel, while in The Village, they just wanted to withdraw from the outside world.

Devil is......well, in better hands it could be an interesting Twilight Zone episode. But, the big reveal is so obvious and it's still filled with utter stupidity. TOAST FLIPPING JELLY SIDE DOWN MEANS THE DEVIL IS NEAR?!

........WHAT?! How is that a thing?!

I still can't get over that. That has to be one of the stupidest scenes in film history.

And, why do people like Signs?! Signs is just as dumb as a ton of the films that followed. The aliens can't figure out how to open doors or get through boarded up windows? Their biggest weakness is water, yet they invade a planet that's like 70% water?

These have to be some of the dumbest aliens ever.

And, the overall message for the protagonist is God working in mysterious ways to make him lose his faith, and then regain it because reasons?

I seriously do not get the love for Signs. That movie is retarded.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
The Village is just a less interesting ripoff of the novel "Running Out of Time". Literally, the similarities are so striking it's a freaking miracle no one was sued. They are both about a young girl who's on the search for medical supplies in a town that's stuck in the 1800s with elders guarding the truth. Like, the ONLY difference is that the people in the town are a part of a genetic experiment in the novel, while in The Village, they just wanted to withdraw from the outside world.

Devil is......well, in better hands it could be an interesting Twilight Zone episode. But, the big reveal is so obvious and it's still filled with utter stupidity. TOAST FLIPPING JELLY SIDE DOWN MEANS THE DEVIL IS NEAR?!

........WHAT?! How is that a thing?!

I still can't get over that. That has to be one of the stupidest scenes in film history.

And, why do people like Signs?! Signs is just as dumb as a ton of the films that followed. The aliens can't figure out how to open doors or get through boarded up windows? Their biggest weakness is water, yet they invade a planet that's like 70% water?

These have to be some of the dumbest aliens ever.

And, the overall message for the protagonist is God working in mysterious ways to make him lose his faith, and then regain it because reasons?

I seriously do not get the love for Signs. That movie is retarded.
Yeah and Indiana Jones didn't do anything in Raiders of the Lost Ark, still love it.

The Village had good music, good characters and good suspense. Whatever complains people have and how people blow them out of proportion, like my brother who said he saw the plot twist coming a mile away, it's not without merit.

Devil was fun. It wasn't a good movie but it was fun and I get a kick out of it. It's an interesting tale and a neat twist on 10 Little Indians. As for the whole toast thing, people seem to have missed the point. It isn't that toast falling jelly side down is always a sign of the Devil, it's that whenever the devil is present whatever can go wrong does.

Signs was suspenseful and it was masturfully so. It had good characters and the side plots were all very human. Also, the aliens were not unable to get through wooden doors, they just had trouble with them, but they can get through them, even when boarded up, it's how they got into the house, and if they couldn't get through them they wouldn't have needed to barricade the basement door with the ax. The other subtle thing people seem to miss is that the aliens weren't dumb far attacking a planet mostly made of water, they were desperate.

Yes, Shyamalan movies are flawed, but they always have some kind of saving grace, and for these above the good outweigh the bad... Well, at least for me, they do. We live in a world where Michael Bay has made more money than any director that is his better by leaps and bounds so that doesn't strike my confidence of what modern movie goers defined as good.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Yeah and Indiana Jones didn't do anything in Raiders of the Lost Ark, still love it.

The Village had good music, good characters and good suspense. Whatever complains people have and how people blow them out of proportion, like my brother who said he saw the plot twist coming a mile away, it's not without merit.

Devil was fun. It wasn't a good movie but it was fun and I get a kick out of it. It's an interesting tale and a neat twist on 10 Little Indians. As for the whole toast thing, people seem to have missed the point. It isn't that toast falling jelly side down is always a sign of the Devil, it's that whenever the devil is present whatever can go wrong does.

Signs was suspenseful and it was masturfully so. It had good characters and the side plots were all very human. Also, the aliens were not unable to get through wooden doors, they just had trouble with them, but they can get through them, even when boarded up, it's how they got into the house, and if they couldn't get through them they wouldn't have needed to barricade the basement door with the ax. The other subtle thing people seem to miss is that the aliens weren't dumb far attacking a planet mostly made of water, they were desperate.

Yes, Shyamalan movies are flawed, but they always have some kind of saving grace, and for these above the good outweigh the bad... Well, at least for me, they do. We live in a world where Michael Bay has made more money than any director that is his better by leaps and bounds so that doesn't strike my confidence of what modern movie goers defined as good.
You're trying to justify Shymalan movies. Are you for real?

The Village was boring, and the twist stupid. Falling apart quite a bit the more you think about it. And like I said, is a less interesting, complete, and utter shameless ripoff of "Running Out of Time".

They decided to use toast flipping side down as crucial evidence that the devil was out and about, and we're supposed to take that seriously? If you didn't facepalm your head in to a wall, or start bursting out in laughter, then I don't know what to say.

And you still haven't proved that the aliens weren't dumb, or at least extremely incompetent. Excuse me if I think a species capable of space travel, on a level that even humans haven't reached, would be able to get inside a freaking farmhouse with just a little wood on the windows with ease. They went around the whole goddamn house, smacking every window, baffled by the "incredible" defenses of wood. YOU BUILT SPACESHIPS!

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope
Well, one of his recent movies, The Visit, was actually pretty decent, so he could be getting back on his feet. I'm being optimistic here.

Also, @Chancey289, I don't get why you have trouble suspending your disbelief for Signs and The Village, yet you think Sixth Sense is one of his best works. That movie had the most glaring plothole. Most of Shyamalan's twists only apply to the movie world he's created. All you have to do is think for a little bit, and you can find something wrong with them.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
What do you mean by most?
He said he liked most of them (while no one else did); the individual in question never said his opinion mattered more than anyone else's.
I like most Shyamalan movies, even the ones no one else did.
I'll watch them, but that's pretty much it. While I loved Unbreakable, I'm ambivalent towards anything else he's done.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
He said he liked most of them (while no one else did); Berto never said his opinion mattered more than anyone else's.

I'll watch them, but that's pretty much it. While I loved Unbreakable, I'm ambivalent towards anything else he's done.
Not saying you can't like his movies, but you sure as hell can't argue that they're smart.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium

I was pretty ambivalent towards Last Airbender. I've never seen the original series or anything, so...it was alright to me. But I had nothing to judge it off of. And Lady in The Water is probably one of my favorites of his...but that's totally something I go for (fairytales and myths and they're real, you just don't know it and when they clash with our world weird stuff happens). I liked Signs, Village, After Earth, and Sixth Sense...but I...I didn't like Devil. Then again, I'm mildly phobic of elevators, so...I basically had to sit there, focusing on not having a bit of a panic. (The ending was pretty good, though.) And I don't really remember Unbreakable, so I can't give an opinion on it. -gets why the films are always kinda controversial, but thinks you kinda have to approach each of his movies with an open mind-

Oh...okay. Well, that'll give me an excuse to not see them again. :thumbsup:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I was pretty ambivalent towards Last Airbender. I've never seen the original series or anything, so...it was alright to me. But I had nothing to judge it off of. And Lady in The Water is probably one of my favorites of his...but that's totally something I go for (fairytales and myths and they're real, you just don't know it and when they clash with our world weird stuff happens). I liked Signs, Village, After Earth, and Sixth Sense...but I...I didn't like Devil. Then again, I'm mildly phobic of elevators, so...I basically had to sit there, focusing on not having a bit of a panic. (The ending was pretty good, though.) And I don't really remember Unbreakable, so I can't give an opinion on it. -gets why the films are always kinda controversial, but thinks you kinda have to approach each of his movies with an open mind-

Oh...okay. Well, that'll give me an excuse to not see them again. :thumbsup:
You.........you've never seen Avatar:The Last Airbender? GO WATCH IT RIGHT NOW!

@Rebel Dynasty HELP ME CONVINCE HER!

It is seriously one of the greatest animated series of all time. It's an absolute masterpiece. Once you see that, you will know why his film adaption was the worst possible adaption imaginable.

From the botched storylines, a very diverse cast of characters being miscast all over the place, said characters not having the personalities which made them great making them damn near unrecognizable, to even the movie literally pronouncing the names wrong. It's like he never seen a single episode of it.

I could go on, and on for hours. Everything he could do wrong with that adaption, he did.

It honestly makes me angry. More than any other film I've ever seen. I must insist you watch the show, I guarantee your opinion of the film will change.

And Lady in the Water is........actually hilarious with how silly it is. M. Night Shymalan wrote himself in as a misunderstood author who's work will change the world? And a film critic dies because he was one of the villains in this weird fairy tale? Um.......wow dude.

Not to mention the kid who read prophesies or something from cereal boxes in a cabinet.

..........I........don't even have a joke for that..........I don't get it...

berto

I Saw the Devil
You're trying to justify Shymalan movies. Are you for real?
Are you trying to tell me what I like? You don't have to agree, but I'm telling you why, anyway. Smarter people than I have made better arguments for each film, not like it's that weird.

And Lady in The Water is probably one of my favorites of his...but that's totally something I go for (fairytales and myths and they're real, you just don't know it and when they clash with our world weird stuff happens).
Fair enough.

Top Bottom