• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Skeptics and Supporters (the concern thread)

Are you worried about DmC's fate?

• Total voters

Zilla

The inFAAMous
WOW really, so any developer can spit out something & name it DevilMayCry & you'd support it?
It's not that cut & dry for fans of any series, they have favorites, characters, weapons, looks, storylines etcetera, that something that pulled them to that series in the 1st place.
And to want DevilMayCry5 & Capcom tosses DMC-Reboot at longtime fans is very distasteful.
And honestly i didn't freak out either but because of Capcom doing this, the DMC-Reboot made me lose interests in the game & like Capcom a little less.

But they haven't just 'spat' it out, if they had of done that, it would have garnered no support at all. It's easy to tell when something has had effort put into it and when something has been just churned out, and honestly, look at DMC 4 Dante. No finer example of churned out to keep the current base happy.

I'm not saying that I straight up loved the game the moment I seen it, all I meant was that it looked like an interesting turn for the series and having loved the previous titles, it was a no brainer that I would at least keep relatively up to date on it. And now, knowing what I know and seeing what I've seen, I'm glad I wasn't one of the many that instantly dismissed it the moment it appeared.

And as for Capcom, well, all My love and respect had been lost for them when they started abusing their fans with their ridiculous on-disc locked content garbage, so as far as letting NT have a go at DMC, this is certainly one of their finer business decisions.

rocketvergil

Vergil's apprentice, the successor to yamato
But they haven't just 'spat' it out, if they had of done that, it would have garnered no support at all. It's easy to tell when something has had effort put into it and when something has been just churned out, and honestly, look at DMC 4 Dante. No finer example of churned out to keep the current base happy.

I'm not saying that I straight up loved the game the moment I seen it, all I meant was that it looked like an interesting turn for the series and having loved the previous titles, it was a no brainer that I would at least keep relatively up to date on it. And now, knowing what I know and seeing what I've seen, I'm glad I wasn't one of the many that instantly dismissed it the moment it appeared.

And as for Capcom, well, all My love and respect had been lost for them when they started abusing their fans with their ridiculous on-disc locked content garbage, so as far as letting NT have a go at DMC, this is certainly one of their finer business decisions.
I found DMC 4 's Dante to be really annoying and too buff. I hated the dialogues , movements and specially the cutscene before fighting agnus and the one after belial.

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
I agree 100% DMC-Reboot has alot of thought & work put into & it looks really good.
And if it was called anything else & didn't carry DevilMayCry by name i still would have no interest in it at all & the game still would've sold.
However with all that i'm wondering why Capcom & Ninja theory didn't just simply make a standalone title instead creating one that's piggybacking off the DevilMayCry name.

because devil may cry is an amazing series that capcom is proud of and doesnt want to be left behind thanks to the evolution of gaming. it hit its peak at dmc3. dmc4 was their attempt of making it more dynamic with the introduction of nero. however despite that it sold relatively well, the creators and staff agreed that if devil may cry was to continue it would have to evolve. ideals change. you either evolve or die. as a result capcom decided to work with a western studio to see what they could do. nt impressed them the most and was hence chosen. so nt have made a new devil may cry that takes it in a different direction. while i do absolutely love the hell out of what ive seen im not gonna force my ideals on you. and in fairness unless nt find a way to make new dante evolve as well. theyll be laft behind except without anyone caring. thats just how the world works. adapt or die applies in more fields than youd think.

Danteredgrave

"I make the angels scream and the devil cry"
I don't like this reboot (what I've seen so far) because as far as it's called "Devil may cry" I don't care whether it's a good game or not, I don't care whether it has a good gameplay, a good story, good music, good graphics it doesn't follow those rules anymore, it follows the rules of "devilmaycryness".
Those thinks might make the average gamer happy, but not the crazy devil may cry fan that I am.
I love DMC, so I want more of it... how could anyone who is so in love with DMC that he is blind to all its imperfections think differently?
DmC is different, it's completely different...it's not more of it.
I like to play assassin's creed for example, I'm happy when they release a new assassin's creed...happy, not crazy about it.
But devil may cry is way more important than that...so if the next assassin's creed was named "devil may cry something" I would be cross because it delays/kills DMC.
So maybe I will enjoy this game as much as I enjoy assassin's creed...but I'm sad that it delays or may kill DMC.
It may be worth playing, but it's not worth replacing DMC. No video game is.
And it's offending for an involved fan to be told "I delay/kill what you like" it's as simple as that...yes, they should have made it a stand alone....it's stupid to say so blatantly "I will change everything you like because it's so bad that it will ruin itself if I don't change it"! How could they have been more offending?
another thing:
If they hadn't named the reboot devil may cry, even if they had decided to stop the series because it doesn't sell well enough or whatever, fans wouldn't have reacted.
It's two different games, you have the right to say:
I love DMC but I f*** DmC.
or
I love DmC but I f*** DMC
or
I love both
or
I don't like any.
But I think forgetting the difference between both....is just a mortal sin xD
2 thinks that have so few in common shouldn't share the same name because it makes people forget that difference.

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
I don't like this reboot (what I've seen so far) because as far as it's called "Devil may cry" I don't care whether it's a good game or not, I don't care whether it has a good gameplay, a good story, good music, good graphics it doesn't follow those rules anymore, it follows the rules of "devilmaycryness"..

You see thats just close minded of you. youre judging something solely on the fact it isnt something else. i understand you want DMC5 so do i. but a good game is a good game. devil may cry is STILL devil may cry alternate universe or not. as fans we owe it to ourselves and all the past devil may cry games to give this game a fair chance. if we dont do that then you just being a hypocryte.

oh and BEHOLD MY LATEST WEAPON TO COMBAT SCEPTICS AND HATERS
http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/5/2...on-to-heath-ledger-being-cast-as-the-jok.html

TyIquan_DmC

I personally look at this as very DMC. I can't unsee it. To me, this Dante acts like Dante would in a modern world, given the situations he's in.

I mean sure the overall story and tone is being changed, but it was such a mess before I'm not even upset. Hell, I was glad when I first found out because it meant Vergil was returning, and he's my favorite character.

Retelling Dante's origin? It's barely been touched on at all besides a few passing mentions. Dante actually being human is never that important. It's certainly nothing that making him an angel greatly offsets. I think adding in the angel bit only serves to make him that much more interesting. It's not like he loses his humanity. Hell, in this Dante seems a lot more human or relatable than before.

We never knew how he took care of himself after Eva died. Do we even know at what age he was when Eva died? Where Sparda went and when, is a mystery. There were so many open questions and such with Dante's past that could've been answered with 3, but never was.

They keep saying how Dante is going to grow into the one we know, but I feel like no one is giving this story a chance to be told. They're just jumping on it and ridiculing it for not being held to their unreasonable standards. Dante and Poison exchanged "FU" three times, and it fit perfectly, yet people are acting like it was said 10x unprovoked. And I know people will say, "He can never be the Dante we knew!" and to them, I say which one? The most consistent Dante has been is 3-4, and people find him a bit annoying. But he's nothing at all like 1, besides his design.

Honestly, this game's controversy reminds me of Lords of Shadows. I loved old Castlevania, but I feel LoS makes more sense, and the fact that it took things back to the beginning meant you didn't have to try and catch up on the convulted and sometimes seemingly removed storyline of the old games.

Nelo_Vergil

Even though Danteredgrave saying "I don't like this reboot " is harsh he is drawing a line in the sand with Capcom.
He all others that dislike DMC-Reboot (Which is what i call it because it separates it from DevilMayCry abbreviated) are saying we're not putting up Capcom beating around the bush with continuing the series & we're not going to happily sit back grin & buy anything Capcom slaps a sticker on & calls it DevilMayCry, that's insulting to think otherwise

and if its better? will you still close your eyes and top your ears?

Zilla

The inFAAMous
So in other words Capcom ran dry of DevilMayCry ideas so instead of working harder possibly hiring on more developers & coming with new ways to evolve & revamp an already popular character & 4title game series which spawned a decent length anime series & a ton of books & action figures, they'd rather hand it over to a different company which resets everything & alienates longtime fans in the hopes that piggybacking of the DevilMayCry name will give older fans that incentive to buy the game, instead of just simply making a standalone title in Capcom & Ninja theory's combined efforts & trusting it will sell.
Smooth.
It's nothing like that in the slightest. All I see is Capcom handing over the keys of a beautiful vehicle to another driver to see what they can do with it.

Zilla

The inFAAMous
So in other words Capcom ran dry of DevilMayCry ideas so instead of working harder possibly hiring on more developers & coming with new ways to evolve & revamp an already popular character & 4title game series which spawned a decent length anime series & a ton of books & action figures, they'd rather hand it over to a different company which resets everything & alienates longtime fans in the hopes that piggybacking of the DevilMayCry name will give older fans that incentive to buy the game, instead of just simply making a standalone title in Capcom & Ninja theory's combined efforts & trusting it will sell.
Smooth.
It's nothing like that in the slightest. All I see is Capcom handing over the keys of a beautiful vehicle to another driver to see what they can do with it.

Nelo_Vergil

I wouldn't care either way.

then why are you here? to say you don't like the game; you wouldn't need to do that if you were interested. However you clearly aren't interested in the game because of the people behind it. So why are you here at all?

i don't mean to come off as rude but your hate or dislike of capcom, and this is my opinion, you push on DmC so like you said you won't care how it does nor where it's heading so why come to the DmC section to discuss things about a game you don't care about?

Nelo_Vergil

Trying to understand others opinions, make sense of it all.
And even though i don't care if it's successful or not i still have an opinion & last i knew this section is open to all DevilMayCry forum members.

if you really want to make sense of it all try making a thread ^_^ i'm sure lots of people will give their opinions and thoughts. Also the forum is open to all but their all different in terms of overall topics. In the DmC forum one is expected to discuss DmC related things where DMC general is self-explanatory. Threads that involve DMC3 in DmC would, for example, get locked or moved.

What i'm trying to say is of course the forums are open but remember to keep discussions within what each forum covers. One minor side note however.... Your opinion matters, as does everyone else's, just remember to express it in the right place and present it well to others.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Trying to understand others opinions, make sense of it all.
And even though i don't care if it's successful or not i still have an opinion & last i knew this section is open to all DevilMayCry forum members.

I doubt you're gonna make sense of opinions. That's like controling what someone thinks to me. You see an opinion, "Make sense" of it, and then counter it? If you really want to understand an opinion you have to remember it's still an opinion, and weither you agree with it or not is not up to you or something you'll understand.

Also you say you don't care, but all you've written says otherwise. If you really didn't care, you wouldn't be here, commenting about how CAPCOM spit in the fans faces (Didn't really say that) and that people will buy anything with "Devil may Cry" on it.

Zilla

The inFAAMous
lol Actually a ford was given to the driver & the driver ditched the car, built a new car with the chevy name, slapped a sticker on it & called it ford.
Either way, We could be dealing with a superior product when it comes to the crunch.

Tosto

The Dark Brawler
The only thing i really don't like in the game is the devil trigger.
I find other aspects amazing and the others average.

There is a possibility that the Devil Trigger will evolve over time as Dante's power grows. Also, it could be the first step in his transformation and we won't see a demonic devil trigger till games end or the sequel.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I made this thread to discuss something Meg brought to my attention.

A lot of the supporters aren't exactly being kind to skeptics. Whether you love or hate the game, we can all agree on this. People need to be tolerant of others opinion.

This thread will also serve as a safe haven for skeptics. It seems as if this forum will not allow people to show why they dislike the game. If you wish to voice your specific or general concern for the game, please do so here. No one will be allowed to condemn your opinion.

Rules:
  • THIS THREAD IS INTENDED TO VOICE INDIVIDUAL OPINIONS OR CONCERNS FOR THE LATEST DEVIL MAY CRY.
  • YOU CAN POST A CONCERN FOR THE GAME HERE
  • FANS OR SUPPORTERS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BASH OR REJECT SOMEONE'S SPECIFIC CONCERN IN THIS THREAD.
This is actually not a new thing. I made a thread kinda like this because the roles were reversed back then eg. the skeptics were hating on the game so much that the few (and I do mean FEW, there were like 3 or 4 of us at best at the time) who support DmC were made to feel like outcasts because we were the minority and the majority would have stoned us if we dared so much as say 'hey it actually looks ok'. Then there were the endless threads about 'true fans' and insults being thrown around, kids pushing other kids off the junglegyms and hogging the swings while sticking out their tongues. And the tantrums. MY WORD. The tantrums were Epic Events that you totally missed out on.
Which is why some of the older members are straying away from this here board. We've been there, been ignored, got the bruises to show for it, etc etc.

Anyway, why discriminate? I'm a full-on supporter, does that mean I can't come post my concerns for the game here just because I'm not a skeptic? Just wondering because "This thread will also serve as a safe haven for skeptics."
I'm feeling very unsafe right now ;)

On Topic:
- I don't mind whether they put Vergil in or not anymore. I went through a stage where I was trying envision how they would reboot him, what his role would be, whether he'd still be Vergil or a totally 'new' character with Vergil's name. And then I decided to stop fussing over something I have no control over. If they put him into the game, cool. If they don't, even cooler. I'm easy to please when I let go of my expectations. Either way I doubt I'll be disappointed.

- Is it a good thing that they're making Dante a physical rebel? What I mean is, he's acting out like other teenagers would. He smoke(d?), he's violent and aggressive, he's got a super-potty-mouth, and he's got tattoos. Does he have piercings too? I dunno, if he does it's probably where that pizza crust was cos otherwise I didn't see any piercings. Sure it makes him more 'real' and relatable to teenagers today, but then you have to ask yourself where you draw the line. It's M-rated - cursing and nudity and all that adultish stuff is not bogus for M-rated material, but M is for 18+, right?
How many devil may cry fans are under 18?/ rhetorical
You see where I'm going with this, don't you?

- The angel thing. I still have an issue with the angel thing. Mythologically/logically/practically speaking, an angel wouldn't do it with a demon. In order for that to happen, the angel would have to fall from grace to act out on a fleshly desire. In other words, the 'angel' would actually be a demon. So.... it just boggles my mind. Who's the angel anyway? If Eva is called a 'b.ch' does that make her the angel or the demon? If it's an insult from a demon then we can assume she's an angel, but what if Sparda is actually the angel because he rebelled against the demons? Would that make Eva an angel then? Would they both be angels or demons? No, it can't be because then they wouldn't say Dante is half angel, would they? But....but...agh it's just... where is the line? If this is the effect NT is going for with their whole 'evil & good' thing, then well played Ninja Theory, well played.
I still think angels should be left where they belong and not brought into video games.

Reactions: Meg

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
When DmC first came out, a great way to get trolled to hell was to support the game.
Now that it has some people looking forward to it and there's some positive hype around it, it would seem most people following this game support it.

From my standpoint, that's good.

What's not good is that supporters sometimes make fun of the original series and say that any problem a skeptic has with this game is "about the hair". This may even happen when a skeptic is concerned about something valid.

At DMC.org, I like to think we concern ourselves with the game's characters, story, the combat, and the PR. Skeptics and supporters on these forums are fully aware that anyone concerned Dante's hair color should p-ss off and shut up.

That said, even sites like Kotaku or G4 will say from time to time that skeptics of this game are only concerned with petty issues such as that. This really, really annoys both parties (it annoys me anyway). Discussions then degenerate into more hate than was previously expected from a DmC-related discussion and nobody wins.

In short:
To anyone who can read this; skeptic, supporter or otherwise, speak about this game with an air of civility. Please.

Top Bottom