• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Shouldn't we DMC fans be grateful about DmC instead of acting like it was something unwanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I'll admit to enjoying anime cliches from time to time.

Personally, I think Vergil is rather comparable to Melfice, Lan-Di, Sephiroth (kind of -- the aesthetic, anyway), and maybe even a hint of General Zod. That's just from my perspective, however.

Fair enough. I just hope people realize everything's based off of everything, so to speak. And that clichés are everywhere, though some are more easily picked out than others because of how obvious they are. Clichés can be lumped together into one game, and I wouldn't care, unless the game actually tried to be serious in having deep characters. If it were serious, shallow characters would be unacceptable due to the fact that the game probably centered around them. Games like Final Fantasy and Devil May Cry, though, I've come to expect clichés from.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
unless the game actually tried to be serious in having deep characters.
Personally, I think it might be acceptable to have cliches in serious storytelling, as long as it wasn't too obvious, and not too badly done.

I also think that it's unavoidable, and must accept a cliche here or there for the sake of the story... and pleasing the audience, as well.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Personally, I think it might be acceptable to have cliches in serious storytelling, as long as it wasn't too obvious, and not too badly done.

I also think that it's unavoidable, and must accept a cliche here or there for the sake of the story... and pleasing the audience, as well.

I can accept cliches but if they're obvious like DMC3/4 then I'm annoyed.

Dusk Stalker

" Everybody gets a bullet!" -Axton
I don't think so. No matter what people will say whether it is polite or not*Looks at two certain people in here* It will come off as rude, no matter how much you cut it.

But going on topic now, I liked DMC 4, the gameplay had more depth and was fun than DmC, DmC didn't bring anything revolutionary or innovative to gameplay with a copy paste God of War or Heavenly sword combat, it didn't bring anything new or something that could be integrated to DMC except for platforming but all it was just jump, grapple, land on ledge.

The game was an unnecessary move after DMC 4, do I think DMC 4 could have been better? oh yes it could have been, it really could have been up there with DMC 3 and 1 if Capcom didn't decide to rush it.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
I'll give you 3 and 4, but not the entire series.

DMC1 was more influenced by western culture than japanese.

And 2 had very little if any at all anime cliches in it.

DMC1 was in particular influenced by an old comic book hero (Space Captain Cobra, or something).
DMC2 may still be the worst for most people, but at least it introduced cooler moves for Dante (like Twosome Time which alludes to Gun-Kata, the combat art used by Clerics, like that of John Preston - played by Christian Bale, in the 2002 movie Equilibrium) which are used in the two games after that. Also, it is the most darkened and gothic themed DMC game too.

Here's a DMC3 vid on making an allusion to Equilibrium:
Enjoy!

Speaking of DMC3, its plot kinda reminded me of Inuyasha's, but at least it's passable as that anime is one of my favs and DMC3 is also my most fav DMC game of all time.
DMC4 took too much influence on Bleach (not just the post-DmC chapter Vergil's Downfall). I don't watch Bleach much... I didn't like how the plot went by and how, despite playing as Dante again, I didn't like the levels he was put in (Nero's path)...!

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Speaking of DMC3, its plot kinda reminded me of Inuyasha's

that is what most people notice as well.

Not that I think its a bad thing, I was a huge fan of inuyasha before DMC3 so seeing elements that resembled it in DMC3 did not bother me.

The whole swords being passed down from the father, 2 group of brothers with white hair, one of the brothers being brash and talkative and the other being cold and calm at all times just parallel to eachother.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
that is what most people notice as well.

Not that I think its a bad thing, I was a huge fan of inuyasha before DMC3 so seeing elements that resembled it in DMC3 did not bother me.

The whole swords being passed down from the father, 2 group of brothers with white hair, one of the brothers being brash and talkative and the other being cold and calm at all times just parallel to eachother.

This is where I'm getting at here. It's not just parallel, but also very similar too.

Even Reuben Langdon said it himself in an interview (in the same interview where he said that he had received a lot of hate mail from fans saying he wasn't Dante) that DMC3 is a reboot to DMC from what he knows. No wonder some fans think it was more of a retcon than an actual prequel as what others and even people from Capcom themselves claim...!

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I don't think so. No matter what people will say whether it is polite or not*Looks at two certain people in here* It will come off as rude, no matter how much you cut it.

But going on topic now, I liked DMC 4, the gameplay had more depth and was fun than DmC, DmC didn't bring anything revolutionary or innovative to gameplay with a copy paste God of War or Heavenly sword combat, it didn't bring anything new or something that could be integrated to DMC except for platforming but all it was just jump, grapple, land on ledge.

The game was an unnecessary move after DMC 4, do I think DMC 4 could have been better? oh yes it could have been, it really could have been up there with DMC 3 and 1 if Capcom didn't decide to rush it.

The gameplay is nothing like God of War and Heavenly Sword (pretty much the only HS comparison starts and ends with the triggers). It still feels very much like a Devil May Cry. You haven't played it.

It seems all you people who really have such an issue with DmC can do nothing but parrot each other. Are any of you capable of making up your own individual opinions or what?

Dusk Stalker

The gameplay is nothing like God of War and Heavenly Sword (pretty much the only HS comparison starts and ends with the triggers). It still feels very much like a Devil May Cry. You haven't played it.

It seems all you people who really have such an issue with DmC can do nothing but parrot each other. Are any of you capable of making up your own individual opinions or what?

Oh I have, have you done the Raker cancel mix with Eryx Slam and Fireworks? Then mix it with Streak?

Or on VD where you can do a helm breaker cancel into a drive along with Orbit and Summoned swords along with Killer bee and a Yamato combo without succumbing to using Doppleganger on VMD or Son of Sparda mode in the mix with two Imprisoners?

That's listing somethings I can do.

(Don't always accuse someone of never playing it when they don't like it, its called an opinion for a reason and this kind of reply above won't happen)

I played through all of it, no satisfaction, no commitment, no innovations, only a copy paste of Heavenly Sword.

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
Oh I have, have you done the Raker cancel mix with Eryx Slam and Fireworks? Then mix it with Streak?

Or on VD where you can do a helm breaker cancel into a drive along with Orbit and Summoned swords along with Killer bee and a Yamato combo without succumbing to using Doppleganger on VMD or Son of Sparda mode in the mix with two Imprisoners?

That's listing somethings I can do.

(Don't always accuse someone of never playing it when they don't like it, its called an opinion for a reason and this kind of reply above won't happen)

I played through all of it, no satisfaction, no commitment, no innovations, only a copy paste of Heavenly Sword.

The amount of BS in this statement is so amazing that I can barely describe it
I played, finished and loved HS...and it's nothing...NOTHING like DmC, triggers aside.
The fact that Nariko can't jump except for the cinematic "air combo" take downs pretty much kills your argument...since in DmC you can do...well this:

And also...God of War? Now you're just trolling

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
I
Seriously, God of War and Heavenly Sword are more alike to each other than DmC will ever be to those titles.

DmC is like *gasp* Devil May Cry. I would have never guessed.

I like you
cookie_law_eu.gif

Dusk Stalker

The amount of BS in this statement is so amazing that I can barely describe it
I played, finished and loved HS...and it's nothing...NOTHING like DmC, triggers aside.
The fact that Nariko can't jump except for the cinematic "air combo" take downs pretty much kills your argument...since in DmC you can do...well this:

And also...God of War? Now you're just trolling

And what kills your argument is that it is a copy paste with a jump button...

If I was trolling stupider points could have and would have been made, but your overreacting.......over an opinion, not a fact...someones opinion.

So, im trolling when your overreacting and when your doing the same thing? Im not treating it as fact.

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
Decided to post this now to avoid making my previous comment longer.

This topic was not created to give praise to DmC, it was made to criticize people who like DMC4. As though DMC4 is the sole reason why Devil May Cry was rebooted. If it is, then shouldn't DMC have been rebooted a long time ago, after DMC2? Elaboration: If you think DMC4 was a mess and the series got rebooted because of it, that wouldn't make sense considering they went on after DMC2, as 2 is less of a coherent DMC game than 4 (fixable plotholes not included).
There is no objective argument in the TS's post; he just criticizes DMC4's sense of humor (by showing the Lucifer cutscene). It's just the TS going ''I don't like very pronounced sexual innuendo, script devices such as calling each others' names (Nero and Kyrie) or games that are over the top/campy, therefore DMC4 sucks and DmC is preferable''.

No offense, and sorry if this comes across as accusative, just saying the thread was misnamed, and that I think you may have subconsciously created this thread to vent feelings about DMC4. That should be posted in the DMC4 section, not the general discussion.
My thoughts exactly. v_v

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Hey,weren't you like going away from this forums like forever ? i'd appreciate that if you kept your word.
The tone of the OP in this thread just comes across as incredibly insensitive and full of himself with his post.
I beg to differ that's an accurate description of the post you just made.

>The message I am getting out of your post is "The old series sucked!!!and you ungrateful fans should be happy you even got a reboot".
am I right?

Yes you are absolutely right !! i was also demanding for blood sacrifice there somewhere just look deep with your bias glasses you'll also discover that i absolutely loathe DMC 1&DMC 3.
>then less than stellar DMC4.

I just love how a differing opinion can become an offense here and yeah NERO ! KYRIE ! NERO ! KYRIE NERO ! KYRIE is a nothing less than stellar eh ?

I can't fathom the looming dismissive attitude of everyone here it just goes to show that we as a fanbase are very immature and can't grow up and accept good changes.

Why are we still pretending like DMC 4 didn't mess up the story and wasn't even a sequel ? i'm sorry i don't get it.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Hey,weren't you like going away from this forums like forever ? i'd appreciate that if you kept your word.

I just love how a differing opinion can become an offense here and yeah NERO ! KYRIE ! NERO ! KYRIE NERO ! KYRIE is a nothing less than stellar eh?

Hey, no need to be so passive-aggressive. I don't see what warranted a response like that.
I clearly stated in that thread that I was going to stick around and post only when I have spare time. I now have the time. Thanks for the support :/

No offense, but your opinion seems very colored by the fact that you simply dislike DMC4. I guess that's okay, though. I personally didn't have any issue with Nero crying out Kyrie's name when in trouble. It seems like a pretty human thing to do, especially when Kyrie is, well, about to die or could be kept locked up for Jeebie knows how long. Besides, it's not like he kept yelling 'Kyrie!' constantly. In my opinion, that Youtube movie you showed is as useless as people telling me how many eggs an ordinary crab lays in a year. I'm sure it's meant to have shock value, but it doesn't reflect what the game is like in general, just like the amount of eggs in a year doesn't interest me if I'm supposed to get a realistic view of the short term situation. I don't feel the need to obsess about how often a certain word has been said in one game. I won't count the times Dante or Nero has said the word 'demons' either. Or the amount of times Dante has said '**** you' in DmC. I just don't really care about that stuff, unless they keep saying it every five in-game minutes.

That said, I agree that the 'save Kyrie' part of the plot is pretty threadbare.

IncarnatedDemon

I think DMC 4 story could been much better. It was far to simple of "Save Kyrie". It didn´t shed more light on why Nero feels the way he feels about Kyrie and vice versa.
This scene right here is pretty nice in my opinion, way i interpret it is :

Kyrie understands Nero failed to save him, but she still forgives him of his failure.

And fact Kyrie is the one singing a song with a lyric like this:
Listen to my voice calling you,
Pulling you out of darkness.
Hear the devil's cry of sin,
Always turn your back on him.

Sounds like Nero was on a bad path before his arm changed.
And Kyrie was the one pulling him out of the darkness.

I believe the voice actor of Nero said it was his favorite scene btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom