• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Seriously, why is there so much love for a character like Vergil?

seraphmaycry

we all knew lady had some demon in her seriously if she was human dante would shoot in the face then walk away from her corpse end of story

seraphmaycry

true enough i guess but my point if lady was human the boss fight would be more a easy money here sign then a fight

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Vergil is loved because he is a demon/human hybrid that kills demons with a samurai sword. That is enough to make any human have a organism. Lol That's why people love Vergil.

Now is this valid? Yes it is. Its a weak reason to like Vergil but in the anime world its enough. I like Vergil but his reason for wanting Sparda's power is as unexplained as Nero's origins. I mean Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 tells us that Vergil wants power because he's upset that he couldn't protect his mother. A fighting game that has nothing to do with DMC gives us more details about Vergil than his own debut game! Play attention to the sword skills and you'll soon love Vergil like everyone else.

kryptoknight

Dude, the pengin (the Batman villian) has a fan club, just sayin'. And there are people who watch crap like hitallia. If its released to the public, chances are there will be fans of it, even in places there should't (case and point bronies). Welcome to the internet.

InJoshtice

Official DmC FANBOY
Vergil is sort of like a "dark avenger" his motif behind what he does, makes sense, he failed to protect his mother and blames himself for it. I mean. Its sort of like when Nero activated his DT and embraced his demonic side to "protect" Kyrie , except Vergil couldn't have been able to or wasn't strong enough. Vergil and Dante wanted the same thing but Vergil saw power as his only way to accomplish that goal, unlike Dante. Also his No fear attitude is Pretty Damn Cool

As for New Vergil. I'm yet to receive my DmC so I'm not to sure about him, but I'm sure ill like him also.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
...without spoilers outright, there are reasons GIVEN for the way New!Vergil is...kind'a cliche, but at least it's said why he looks at humanity the way he does...

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
Another reason to like Vergil is because he does not need to resort in anything flashy comparable to the level of his brother to reach the apogee of coolness.

Zato-OW

King
Vergil doesn't hate humans and he doesn't love demons. He hates the physical weakness of humans and admires the strength of demons. He pretty much feels that since he is half human that his potential is being held back. Which is why he wants his fathers power so that he can rival the legend his father created("No matter how hard you try, your never going to be like father"). He is the total opposite of Dante but they both share a similar goal without knowing. Vergil chooses the darker path to reach Sparda while Dante chose the lighter path. Its basically Dante embraces his human side while Vergil embraces his demonic side which refers back to Sparda(Sparda being the most "powerful" demon and him showing "love" for humans.) As we know, Sparda chose "love" over "power" when he discarded his power to seal the demonic world from the human world. Vergil isn't evil nor good, hes just directly in the middle. Pay attention to the speech at the end of DMC3 that Dante gives to Vergil before and after they fight. You will then know Vergil's true motives.

Nvzman

Ok, well I hope not to rustle any jimmies here but just hear me out. I never really understood the fan club surrounding Vergil because he's such a one dimensional and boring character to me and also quite frankly kind of stupid. He's the polar opposite of Dante and this can make for an interesting conflict IF the character would ever be actually developed. I love villians but I love good villians. In 3, Vergil had like a vendetta against the entire human race just because he embraces his devil side more than his hummanity but this ultimately all stems from him failing to save his HUMAN mommy's life. So, he just basically teams up with the people who ruined his life and pretty much stands against everything someone like his father stood for. His parents must be so proud. It just seems rather silly and he doesn't have a good reason to do what he does to me. But also this was just Capcom and I know that they don't know how to write so I guess it's ok. The DmC Vergil was getting grief and it just doesn't make sense because the guy never had any sort of depth. In the new one, they are actually establishing a relationship between the brothers and I think when Vergil switches sides it will mean alot more here. I hope there's a good reason he would swap sides and if a sequel to DmC ever rolls around I think we'd have some really cool and depthful clashes between brothers who once stood and fought together but then find themselves on opposite sides. Especially since saving the world was Vergil's idea. Plus, I like Vergil's look in the new one alot more because that coat he wore in the previous game looked stupid in my opinion.
Maybe the Vergil fan club just exist because the fans made him out more than he really was. Creating a better character based on the small things we do see about him. It's not hard to write better than Capcom. :p
This and also him being used all the time online in UMvC3 makes me dislike him.

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
You got that right.

1352495521934.jpg

Age of Nero

The End is the Beginning is the End!
Ok, well I hope not to rustle any jimmies here but just hear me out. I never really understood the fan club surrounding Vergil because he's such a one dimensional and boring character to me and also quite frankly kind of stupid. He's the polar opposite of Dante and this can make for an interesting conflict IF the character would ever be actually developed. I love villians but I love good villians. In 3, Vergil had like a vendetta against the entire human race just because he embraces his devil side more than his hummanity but this ultimately all stems from him failing to save his HUMAN mommy's life. So, he just basically teams up with the people who ruined his life and pretty much stands against everything someone like his father stood for. His parents must be so proud. It just seems rather silly and he doesn't have a good reason to do what he does to me. But also this was just Capcom and I know that they don't know how to write so I guess it's ok. The DmC Vergil was getting grief and it just doesn't make sense because the guy never had any sort of depth. In the new one, they are actually establishing a relationship between the brothers and I think when Vergil switches sides it will mean alot more here. I hope there's a good reason he would swap sides and if a sequel to DmC ever rolls around I think we'd have some really cool and depthful clashes between brothers who once stood and fought together but then find themselves on opposite sides. Especially since saving the world was Vergil's idea. Plus, I like Vergil's look in the new one alot more because that coat he wore in the previous game looked stupid in my opinion.
Maybe the Vergil fan club just exist because the fans made him out more than he really was. Creating a better character based on the small things we do see about him. It's not hard to write better than Capcom. :p
I'll admit that I like Vergil's character a lot as I can actually relate to him- the fact that he wasn't able to save his mom drove him crazy with all that hurt- sadly, I know pain like that (even though I'm lucky my mom's safe)- but to lose anyone & have been able to prevent it, I know that pain. On top of that, the fact he's disgusted with humanity b/c he prefers his demon side, that's a different story, but I feel disgusted with humanity myself with how the world has gotten lately, even though I don't actually hate humanity, but feel anger towards them for allowing the world to fall apart like it has. And how he may seem flat may have to do with all that anger built in left to silence- this is where he & I are actually different, but I do know the built up pain. :p This is why I'm a fan.
But your POV's rather interesting! q:

Age of Nero

why is vergil so popular u ask? because human nature in itself is sadistic. Take a look at vergil; he's very cold, evil, and yeah evil. (can't think up of words to describe him right now) We love to see people tortured, deny it all you want but it's true. We annoy and hurt people because we seek pleasure out of it. Vergil has a larger fanbase because of that. We love antagonists more because they pose as a challenge. This challenge tends to annoy the main character and we love seeing how they get through it.
You're right about the antagonsist part- where they pose a challenge. But when ppl enjoy torture/sadism, I don't think that's human nature... not to sound loony- I do believe the devil exists & has an impact for that cause, but that's just my opinion. Yet, it's also starnge that despite all darkness on our very cold planet, that there's that lil' fire in some ppl's hearts called hope left! strange, crazy world we live in!!
As for the last line, annoying the main character but them getting through it, this is why Dante's one of my fav.'s- he's so laid back, calm, & collected about it, but also shows a caring side towards the end. I admire that! :p

Age of Nero

I love Vergil.
We'd all do something (no matter how bad) to protect the ones we love. And Vergil couldn't save his mom. I suppose in a way he blamed his human side (therefore humans are weak and yay for demons) and the fact that he was the eldest, also Sparda wasn't around.
Life made Dante and Vergil polar-opposites (possibly also the fact that they hated what each other had become)

I love Vergil for his sword skills.... his awesomeness and his eyes... *drools*...
He was honestly the reason why I bought DMC3 in the first place.
And THIS is EXACTLY why I became a Vergil fan immediately after playing DMC3! I can relate to his pain- & that feeling of self doubt or blame in there somewhere he feels necissary to cover up with a cold shoulder b/c of masking the pain to feel numb is what helps! :p

Top Bottom