• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Seriously, why is there so much love for a character like Vergil?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Usually when you want a lot of power, and you leave a demon door open where millions of demons come out, and you don't bother to close it...you may have a ****ed up notion of thinking "your a good guy."

DarkSlayer54

We have no idea if he would have closed it or not. I believe he would have... if he had taken the pieces to the human world, and then assembled it... he would have obtained Sparda's power while closing the demon portal.

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
We have no idea if he would have closed it or not. I believe he would have... if he had taken the pieces to the human world, and then assembled it... he would have obtained Sparda's power while closing the demon portal.
Or let the the portal open to have multiple target practice once in a while.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
For me, I like Vergil. I would probably put him up there in my favourites purely for simplistic reasons. Such reasons being that not only is he Dante's brother, but he is a son of Sparda. That is already badass in my book. And who can say they didn't enjoy Nelo Angelo?

Furthermore, Vergil is a quintessential part of the storyline. No matter if to most fans it seemed like he was only ever truly in just one Devil May Cry game. He's a key element to the storyline. That is a logical fact.

However, I completely respect your opinion on the subject. And if you personally feel like Vergil lacked anything to truly make him unique, then that's fine by all means.

But I think he's pretty cool, so I'll leave it at that.

seraphmaycry

I'm a Vergil fan since the release of DMC3 for reasons like the blue color, his Darkslayer style, his Yamato, his summoned swords. Everything. And no wonder why he is such a power-hungry douche: he just want to be just like his father Sparda, and he is willing to kill everyone that stands in his way, even his own brother. So deep inside, it's really debatable if he's a good guy or a bad guy. But either way, I love Vergil since he's a badass of his own right.

And I agree with Dante Redgrave on Vergil wanting power. He's craving for it but for what reason? BTW...

Vergil: Give that to me,
Dante: No way. You got your own. (keeps his amulet)
Vergil: Then I'm getting yours, too.
Dante: What you'll gonna do with all that power, huh? No matter how hard you try, you'll never gonna be like father!
Vergil: You're wasting time!

*holding each other's swords*

Dante: We are the sons of Sparda! Within each of us shared his own blood. But more importantly, his SOUL! And my soul is calling me to stop you!
Vergil: (laughs) Our souls are at odds, brother. I need more power.
Dante: That's why we should be called twins.
Vergil: (prepares Force Edge) Twins... right.

Furthermore, I'm very excited to see DmC Vergil because it seems he's essential to Dante's character development. DmC Dante has nothing at all in his life. But when he met Vergil, everything changes. It's promising since we will see a Vergil which it has more depth and fleshed out as a character. We can see on how he can be considered a tragic figure in the new game.

Uh about that (coughs) SPOILERS DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU LIKE KNOWING THINGS ABOUT GAMES THAT HAVE NOT YET BEEN RELEASED AND YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED

about the DmC Vergil thing...... the leaked achievements list him as a boss im sorry but he is most likely evil or at the very least bad enough so that his good or evil is debatable so im sorry but he is not one of the good guys in DmC he is not going to be fleshed out if the most likely thing happens which is that they cop and paste his old part of his old personality that makes him want more power of course he is listed as the final boss so he obviously SOMEHOW reaches more power then mundus

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Vergil's just badass. You can teleport and use the Yamato. That's really it.

As far as his character goes... bah. There's not enough information to go on to understand Vergil. I say he's good at heart, while others say he's evil. There's just so much room for assumptions with his character.
I agree with the second bit.

scionicspectre

I mean, if you don't like Vergil, what is there to like about Dante, really? When he's not wasting time being a cocky smart-ass, he's spouting off platitudes about how being emotional makes you human (or eating a sundae). Then there's Vergil- he has a goal, and he knows how to seize it. Then his junky brother comes out of the blue to ruin everything.

Then again, Vergil really wouldn't have gotten far without Dante- Arkham probably would've schooled him at some point if Dante weren't part of the equation. But still, Vergil knew what he wanted out of life. Dante's goals in life seem to revolve around cleaning up after his family, which I suppose is honorable enough, but you've got to admit that there's something admirable about Vergil's desire for self-improvement, even in the murky original canon.

Of course, the obvious answer is that we find Dante more likable because we relate to him better, and those moments of care-free badassery just sweeten our image of his personality. We grow accustomed to him.

Azurel

Thank you.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this. Seriously, it was the badass look and the hair that covered up the one-dimensionality of his character. It's amazing what a little polish can do to cover up the cracks on the surface. People just saw what they wanted to see.

While I myself enjoy playing as him, and like the fact that he blended Royalguard with Trickster (Darkslayer can be used to dodge in-place if you time it right, therefore taking no damage from the attack, kind of like Royalguard).

I like the way his weapons were a fusion of all of Dante's, because his attacks were very similar to how Dante's were, but different enough to stand on their own.

And finally, I like how Summoned Swords were a fusion of Artemis (Blistering Swords took the place of Multi-lock), Ebony and Ivory (Sword Hangers -- regular summoned sword shots -- kept the enemy in the air like E&I did) Quicksilver (Spiral Swords kept the enemy in the air temporarily without Vergil having to do anything the way Quicksilver did) and Doppleganger.

Similar to Doppleganger mode, all of the Summoned Sword Spells (semi-tongue twister) almost acted almost like a separate person because Vergil could continue with his own combos while the Summoned Swords did the rest. It did a very good job of replacing Gunslinger as well.

But I only enjoyed playing as him. For all the effort that Capcom put into his moves, they could have put more effort into making his character more interesting.

Besides, I knew right off that he was an all-bad guy, but people keep saying that he's an "anti-hero" (anti-heroes don't start apocalypses, they end them -- Shadowman was an anti-hero and he stopped an apocalypse by defeating an army of 120 immortal giants (Trueforms) by ripping their souls from their physical bodies.

Not even Vergil has that power. No, the red, green, and white orbs at the end of a combo do no count.

And he's not "good-at-heart", either. His, "Protect Others" speech was only a flimsy justification for his actions. A shield to hide behind so that Dante wouldn't think any less of him. At the very least, he could have been honest. But, I guess he's deluded himself into thinking that he still somehow has the moral high ground. Villains will always try find a way to justify their actions. Even Dante said that Vergil wanted to "turn everything into demonville". Dante knew that the "protection" excuse was just that... an excuse.

The only person Vergil had ever successfully convinced was himself. :/

Azurel

Not that much to like about Dante. But at least he admitted that he didn't care about humanity up until meeting Lady (much to the chagrin of twincest yaoi fans :ermm: ).

But, while you were playing as him (and while he was being defeated by Vergil) you felt as though you were going through a struggle with him, and he was only being cocky to cover up his vulnerability, which made him more relateable.

In that sense, both Dante and Vergil were trying to cover up their motivations, which made the story at least a little interesting to watch.

Dante only wanted to brawl with his brother for embarrassing him in his office. That, and it seemed like he had nothing better to do and was looking for an adrenaline rush by fighting demons. It seems he goes out and purposely looks for enemies to battle with, and Vergil fit the bill at the time.

It was only later on that he started to worry about what would happen to the human race when he saw how hard Lady herself was struggling.

And I still hold my theory that Lady has maybe 10% demon in her. I know that Arkham became a demon after she was born, but when the ceremony was complete, it seems that it partially effected Lady psychically simply because they were related... and because Lady was descended from the priestess that was sacrificed to close the demon gates.The blood ties must have given her added strength and dexterity... and most likely enhanced intelligence as well.

I say this because there's no way a normal human, even after extensive training, can pull off what Lady pulled off in those cutscenes.

Azurel

i don't think to help humanity thats a bit of a stretch but mainly to have the power he's always wanted i mean he seemed perfectly okay with keeping a portal to the demon world open :/

Usually when you want a lot of power, and you leave a demon door open where millions of demons come out, and you don't bother to close it...you may have a ****** up notion of thinking "your a good guy."

Yeah. Like I said in a previous post on this thread, there's no way was he thinking of the good of humanity by doing something like that.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
And I still hold my theory that Lady has maybe 10% demon in her. I know that Arkham became a demon after she was born, but when the ceremony was complete, it seems that it partially effected Lady psychically simply because they were related... and because Lady was descended from the priestess that was sacrificed to close the demon gates.The blood ties must have given her added strength and dexterity... and most likely enhanced intelligence as well.

I say this because there's no way a normal human, even after extensive training, can pull off what Lady pulled off in those cutscenes.

And this is why I hold the theory that Lady herself is in fact a descendent of Sparda through that Priestess. Highly fitting if that Priestess was why Sparda turned on the Demon world; he fell in love with human, setting the stage for millennia later with Dante and Vergil. Likely it was through her mother Kalina Ann as well, otherwise, Arkham could have used his own blood to finish things.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
And this is why I hold the theory that Lady herself is in fact a descendent of Sparda through that Priestess. Highly fitting if that Priestess was why Sparda turned on the Demon world; he fell in love with human, setting the stage for millennia later with Dante and Vergil. Likely it was through her mother Kalina Ann as well, otherwise, Arkham could have used his own blood to finish things.
I think one of the art books said that Arkham was the descendant of the priestess.

Top Bottom