• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sea of Thieves

Dark Drakan

Admin
image.jpg

I have been reading some articles and interviews with Rare and the media and it's shaping up rather nicely. Wasn't really sure what the game was about for a while but they have been releasing new videos to clear that up.

Sea of Thieves will launch on Windows 10 & XB1 in 2017 & is part of the play anywhere program.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
This is seriously the only Xbox game I am legitimately sad I won't be able to play.

With Banjo Kazooie being my favorite video game of all time, it should come to no surprise I use to also put Rare in such high regard as one of the best in the biz. But after Microsoft bought them, locked them away in a dungeon, and forced them to basically make nothing but Kinect games, I feared that creative giant that once was, was forever gone.

But Sea of Thieves looks like it would be really fun and maybe Rare's shot at redemption. It's a freaking pirate game I'm sure most gamers have been asking for. I could only imagine the role playing adventures I'd have with friends sailing the virtual seven seas together.

But alas, I'm not getting a console for just one game. A game that also looks like it hinges on the success of its online community.

At least Rare veterans came together to form Playtonic and are dishing out Yooka-Laylee. So the legendary, traditional Rare experiences I crave for, are still possible.

Here's hoping for a Jet Force Gemini return or spiritual sequel!

Dark Drakan

Admin
Creating a beautiful day/night cycle is no easy task, heres the fourth Inn-side Story with Ryan (Art Director) and Andrew (Principal Environment Artist) to discover the workings of the sun, the sky and those mysterious curves.

Dark Drakan

Admin
The closed Sea of Thieves beta had 332,052 players

jpg

Perhaps more importantly, Sea of Thieves was a big hit on Twitch (and Mixer), apparently reaching the live-viewer top spot while the closed beta ran. Which is great news for Microsoft and Rare and with talk that open beta could be coming soon that number would skyrocket.
Some of the highlights are listed below.
  • More than two million in-game hours played.
  • 314,021 total players.
  • 35,882 peak concurrent players.
  • 402,488 quests completed.
  • 14,260,440 hours watched.
  • 104,204 average viewers.
  • 269,000 concurrent views on Twitch.
  • 871,180,805 gold earned.
  • 132,969 players sailed the sea alone in a ship.
  • 121,748 players were part of a two-person crew.
  • 160,797 players were part of the standard four-person crew.
  • 30,595 content creators.

Dark Drakan

Admin

As Sea of Thieves' draws ever closer to release on March 20th, Rare is steadily filling in the remaining blanks regarding the features that wannabe pirates can expect to see at launch. Latest on its list are further details of customisation, both of the personal and ship variety.

Sea of Thieves' "horizontal" progression system has, of course, been known for a while - with the game's broader pull coming through the acquisition of new clothing and weapon cosmetics, enabling you to carve out your own piratical identity within the world. Less documented is ship customisation, which Rare's new dev video shows in more detail.

By visiting a shipwright at an island outpost, you'll be able to purchase and equip new hull and sail liveries, as well as new figureheads - with the video demoing everything from regal lions and a sombre Neptune to jaunty skulls and wooden sharks. There are ample hull and sail colours, patterns, and emblem variants on show too.

Interestingly, earlier data-mining also suggested that it would eventually be possible to customise a ship's cannons, capstan, masts and wheel - although these specific elements aren't mentioned in the video.

As Rare's Ted Timmins explains, "It was really important to us that for launch, when you see a particular sail on the horizon, that it has a meaning... you might have heard about that crew. And therefore [ship customisation] kind of shows a sense of stature in the world".

To that end, ships will be customisable on release - with the video also confirming that players will be able to own their own ships post-launch. It's not entirely clear what this means, but it could be a reference to Sea of Thieves' fascinating-sounding later-game, in which crews can obtain Legendary status, and gain access to their own ships, secret hideouts, and exotic quests to embark on.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Final Sea Of Thieves Open Beta Live For All On Xbox One And PC

During a developer update about the final beta, executive producer Joe Neate explained that the studio wants to have a greater number of players trying the game out than before, and in order to do so it has opened up the trial to everyone. Additionally, a number of new features have been included in the new beta.

The first of them is the Merchant Alliance, which is a faction that tasks players with capturing animals in exchange for rewards. Another new feature being tested in the beta is Skeleton Forts, which creates the opportunity for forts in the world to be occupied by skeletons. These special forts offer greater rewards for those who clear them out, but they're signified by large clouds hovering above them that are visible to all players. Naturally, this means you may have to battle other players as well as skeletons for riches.

IttechGyan

I'm just hoping they aren't REQUIRED for Pirate Legend and that, hopefully, I can just ignore the faction all together. I found the second day on the Final Beta much more enjoyable by simply ignoring the Merchant Alliance's existence.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I can’t wait to get my grubby thievin’ hands on that scurvy game.

My fiancée just bought me the Sea of thieves Xbox One controller for my birthday. I’ve been wanting it for over a month now.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Sea of Thieves lands UK chart number one

Rare have done it - Sea of Thieves has topped the UK games chart in a busy week for new releases.

Impressively, the PC and Xbox One pirate simulator hit number one just on Xbox One boxed copies alone. (UK numbers company Chart-Track does not count digital sales on PC or Xbox.)

And, of course, those sales do not count anyone playing the game using the cheapest option - via Microsoft's £7.99 per month Xbox Games Pass subscription, which Sea of Thieves is part of.

Dark Drakan

Admin
It has 2 million players OUTSIDE of game pass according to stats I read yesterday. Hope they put out constant free content updates however to keep the game going rather than go the DLC route. They did say they wanted to be working on it for many more years after release.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Rare details upcoming Sea of Thieves fixes, roadmap video coming next week

Sea of Thieves recently crossed two million players and as more gamers experience the title, new problems emerge. This week Rare fixed the ship-spawning issue which caused griefing, but there are other problems like spawn-killing and cheating which need to be addressed. Today, the studio put out a list of topics the team is working on as well as addressing the lack of content many gamers have been bringing up.​

Dark Drakan

Admin
Rare Innside Story - Content Plans

Sea of Thieves design director Mike Chapman and executive producer Joe Neate talked about the development roadmap for the game in a new video and how Rare plans new “ways to enrich the world” and deliver “things that surprise you.”

The next big addition to Sea of Thieves is a content update called The Hungering Deep. It’s due in May and will introduce a “new AI threat” to the game that will “encourage players to interact in different ways” and “bring crews together” in new ways. The Hungering Deep will be a permanent fixture in the game, with new mechanics and rewards, but will kick off with a timed event that Rare plans to start teasing soon.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/13/1...s-hungering-deep-new-content-xbox-one-pc-rare

Top Bottom