• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

(Rumor) Resident Evil 7 to be shown at E3

meg5493

Praise the Sun!

No they really do whether its Capcom employees or major gaming journalists they tell the fans the same things every game. Literally every game before release will have atleast 1 article saying how the "game is going back to its survival horror roots" I never specified Capcom being the ones saying this but I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find old interviews and such saying something similar. :unsure::unsure:

"In fact,Resident Evil 5 is, in a lot of ways, going back to the roots of the original games and answering a lot of questions on why certain things happened."-7rs ago

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...evil-5-cliffy-b-dead-jill-valentine-and-more/

"The most important thing is that Revelations embraces its roots without discarding the series' modern innovations, and it also brings a few new tricks of its own."-4yrs ago

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/02/03/dont-ignore-resident-evil-revelations

" It was very clear from the introduction of Leon’s section, which featured him fighting through an underground subway tunnel, that Capcom wanted to demonstrate just how much of a return to Resident Evil‘s horror roots these particular portions of the game are." -4 yrs ago

http://gamerant.com/resident-evil-6-gameplay-ada-wong-playable-comic-con-tao-159687/

Sesha

I don't know that he'd be a full fledged employee since he has his own studio, unless Tango has gone to this Zenimax thing as a subsidiary, or however you spell it. I was just answering why he left, he went with P* and left to make Tango if you want to get more specific.

Still, even if he does answer to a higher division it's not as though he'd be the first producer/director who's done freelance work for another studio.

Is it possible for Mikami to make another RE game? Yeah, absolutely. Do I think it's going to happen? Pretty slim chances there. People stay busy and if he is, in fact, working a TEW2, which I've heard was a surprise hit considering mix receptions, then the guy has his hands busy with other stuff.

Tango is a subsidiary of Zenimax, yes. In most cases, being a full-time employee means you're under contract, which usually prevents you from working freelance. Non-compete and all such.

It's not possible currently. In the future, sure.

No they really do whether its Capcom employees or major gaming journalists they tell the fans the same things every game. Literally every game before release will have atleast 1 article saying how the "game is going back to its survival horror roots" I never specified Capcom being the ones saying this but I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find old interviews and such saying something similar. :unsure::unsure:

"In fact,Resident Evil 5 is, in a lot of ways, going back to the roots of the original games and answering a lot of questions on why certain things happened."-7rs ago

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...evil-5-cliffy-b-dead-jill-valentine-and-more/

"The most important thing is that Revelations embraces its roots without discarding the series' modern innovations, and it also brings a few new tricks of its own."-4yrs ago

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/02/03/dont-ignore-resident-evil-revelations

" It was very clear from the introduction of Leon’s section, which featured him fighting through an underground subway tunnel, that Capcom wanted to demonstrate just how much of a return to Resident Evil‘s horror roots these particular portions of the game are." -4 yrs ago

http://gamerant.com/resident-evil-6-gameplay-ada-wong-playable-comic-con-tao-159687/

You're moving the goal posts. Going by your original post, "they" in this context would be referring to Capcom. What the enthusiast press says is irrelevant in this context. The only quote by a Capcom employee that mentions "roots" in any of those links is the first one, and it's clearly referring to the story, not the gameplay.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
You're moving the goal posts. Going by your original post, "they" in this context would be referring to Capcom. What the enthusiast press says is irrelevant in this context. The only quote by a Capcom employee that mentions "roots" in any of those links is the first one, and it's clearly referring to the story, not the gameplay.

I probably should have specified who I was referring to because it does seem like I meant just Capcom but I meant as a whole Capcom employees and the journalists that write about the games before they release. I wasn't talking about gameplay at all I was talking more about atmosphere and the design work that goes into the games. The employee was talking about it going back to the story and feel of the first game. I don't mind gameplay changes any more but there's always atleast one person saying how this is the RE game thats going back to its roots. Which unless its in the form of remakes or spin offs its never going to happen.

Maxman

I dont even care which direction they take anymore

As long as its a good game that works flawlessly out of the box , I am in

All these ebin games and their disastrous launch has me scarred for life

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I've been thinking about what they would have to show to get me back into the franchise.

I really loved the atmosphere of RE0, something closer in tone to that would be great.

Goldsickle

I'd really like to see a collection of all the time "going back to its roots" is mentioned and then dissect into the list to see how many of it was actually stated by the developers, how many of it was something shoehorned by the press and how many of the time "roots" specifically meant "fixed camera and lotsa puzzles".

Sesha

I probably should have specified who I was referring to because it does seem like I meant just Capcom but I meant as a whole Capcom employees and the journalists that write about the games before they release. I wasn't talking about gameplay at all I was talking more about atmosphere and the design work that goes into the games. The employee was talking about it going back to the story and feel of the first game. I don't mind gameplay changes any more but there's always atleast one person saying how this is the RE game thats going back to its roots. Which unless its in the form of remakes or spin offs its never going to happen.

There isn't, though. You be confusing it. The first time that was kinda, vaguely said by someone who had been a Capcom representative (he wasn't anymore at the time the interview was posted) was in January 2013, regarding RE7:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/capc...-will-return-to-survival-horror-roots/0120229

However MCV still used the term "roots", and it seems everyone else quoted him on that.

I'd really like to see a collection of all the time "going back to its roots" is mentioned and then dissect into the list to see how many of it was actually stated by the developers, how many of it was something shoehorned by the press and how many of the time "roots" specifically meant "fixed camera and lotsa puzzles".

The closest is this: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/capc...-will-return-to-survival-horror-roots/0120229

However the interviewee wasn't with Capcom anymore at the time the interview was posted.

Good luck finding a list of all the times it has been said by press. They are apparently very liberal with the phrase.

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
How do we even define "the roots"?

Gameplay style. storytelling, atmosphere, characters or even a mixture?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Nope, sorry, but when someone tells me a series that created the genre of survival horror but since hasn't really been that in a while is going back to it's roots I'm not going to assume they mean bad dialogue, I'm assuming it's their horror roots.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
There isn't, though. You be confusing it. The first time that was kinda, vaguely said by someone who had been a Capcom representative (he wasn't anymore at the time the interview was posted) was in January 2013, regarding RE7:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/capc...-will-return-to-survival-horror-roots/0120229

However MCV still used the term "roots", and it seems everyone else quoted him on that.

The closest is this: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/capc...-will-return-to-survival-horror-roots/0120229

However the interviewee wasn't with Capcom anymore at the time the interview was posted.

Good luck finding a list of all the times it has been said by press. They are apparently very liberal with the phrase.
This is the last time I want to talk about this particular roundabout convo I'm not trying to be rude or anything but I feel like I keep repeating myself, I've been aware of people saying the same things for every RE game since 5. It's near impossible to find the same sources after 4yrs, things disappear on the web. I'm not going to ask you to believe my word,why would you? Its just that RE went through a shift its no longer the old definition of Survival Horror I doubt it would be possible for RE7 to even go back to its roots. So seeing the same rumors being thrown around for each game its plausibility goes down each time. :ninja::ninja:
How do we even define "the roots"?

Gameplay style. storytelling, atmosphere, characters or even a mixture?
Usually through a mixture of storytelling and atmosphere. At this point Capcom will never go back to tank controls or fixed camera angles because as much as some fans may like it there are more fans that are fine with the way it is and they've been using the same characters for 2o yrs.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I honestly wouldn't care. The series really doesn't have a strong enough sense of continuity that I'd mind.

I wouldn't care either, but there are people that would. All that I could see happening if they took that direction is an uproar of angry fans. It'd be DmC all over again, but for the RE fanbase.

berto

I Saw the Devil
@Sesha @meg5493 Ok, then, children, if either of you feel frustrated talking about this with the other then let's consider that matter solved and move on to another related topic. (And before anyone says that no one was been mean or rude or it was just talk, I know, that's why I'm not handing out warnings, because things are still civil and it's best to end stuff before they escalate.)

I've mentioned this a few times in other places but I've never found RE games 'scary' so when I want more off what they did before it won't be for the frights. RE1, 2, and even 3 had that hoaky 80's action vibe to it but the other thing they did right was atmosphere. Those games very good at making your surroundings creepy and surprisingly old school, what with the fixed camera angles, the lightning, haunted mansions, zombies, and other basic horror archetypes.

What RE4 did really well, while it's not horror in the strictest sense, is the tension. Ah, man, those moments like when you play for the first time and enter the town and get overrun and don't know how to deal with it, or the regenerators, the right hand boss fight, or the one with the falling sections. That is one of the few games that actually made me shake.

Honestly, that's what I'm looking for in a new RE game, one of the two. I can't really ever imagine them going back to fixed angles so, really, where does that leave us? The game is going to be what it's going to be and as much as I want other things for it I doubt they'll really go for them, or even what most fans would want because the people that made the best RE games are gone and no matter how they approach it they will still only be interpretations of how the new people see those games.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I wouldn't care either, but there are people that would. All that I could see happening if they took that direction is an uproar of angry fans. It'd be DmC all over again, but for the RE fanbase.
Perhaps, I could certainly see Capcom being hesitant to change the formula because of the backlash with DmC.

For me, the real "Horror" is the idea that future RE games are filled with jumpscares and other half-baked attempts at the Survival Horror genre. I'd take all the cheesy action scenes in RE6 over that any day. :vomit:

Maxman

I want over the top weapons

Ebin shootouts against giant monsters in outer space

and BEWBs ( i sure hope that wont get me canned :p)

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
At this point go one way or another with RE give me crazy over the top action or actual horror being stuck in the middle is only holding it back.

LOL reminds me of what Angry Joe said back when he made the Top 10 Worst Games of 2012 (he put RE6 in it).

Top Bottom