• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

(Rumor) Resident Evil 7 to be shown at E3

DantesLink

Premium
Supporter 2014
C2OZga9.png

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Interesting, however I'm still sceptical after RE6.

I'll wait until a trailer or something to get hyped.

Frazz

General gamer
I was literally about to make this thread! I think that, if true, this bodes very well for the RE series as RE4 is my personal favourite and part of what makes it great is that it mostly ignores the previous games and focuses on a single focused (if hilariously silly) plot. I'm not entirely sure if I believe it as RE4 is the only RE of the main series that doesn't try to world build and fit in with the rest and Capcom seem dedicated to stick to the story started by RE1. If they do this game like 4 by having an already established character do their own thing far from all that 'Neo-Umbrella' crap then I'm all for it. Heck, a new character is also fine as what Resident Evil needs is a break from Chris Redfield and friends!

Frazz

General gamer
It's probably not the most trusted source but I think there's an interesting discussion to be had about the new RE as a 'clean slate'.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Yeah, I saw this earlier today over at 4chan and were people p***ed. Apparently they said the exact same thing about RE6 back in the day. Honestly, though, I think they learned their lesson. They probably get how hated RE6 is, despite not being a bad game, and the surprise success of both RERev2 and RE1HD are provably hint enough that they should try for something scary. I know it's going to have action, there is no mistaking that, but if they nail the horror, specifically the tension, of older RE games they might just pull it off.

Sesha

Yeah, I saw this earlier today over at 4chan and were people p***ed. Apparently they said the exact same thing about RE6 back in the day. Honestly, though, I think they learned their lesson. They probably get how hated RE6 is, despite not being a bad game, and the surprise success of both RERev2 and RE1HD are provably hint enough that they should try for something scary. I know it's going to have action, there is no mistaking that, but if they nail the horror, specifically the tension, of older RE games they might just pull it off.

They didn't. It's another false rumor like Capcom being broke/near bankruptcy or DMC4 being rushed in development and having a ton of cut content.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=203921755&postcount=163

Frazz

General gamer
If there's anything that I want for the new RE game it's the Attache Case from RE4. If they have that then I'm sold on whatever else they want to do as imo RE4's inventory system is the best in the whole of gaming with all items having a relative size: eg - an egg takes up a tiny amount of room because it's an egg. As for whether or not Capcom will bring back the tension? I don't know...I'm not a big fan of RE: Revs 2 and that felt like their attempt to go back to horrror and tension.

@berto you seem to be very knowledgable about the series - do you know why Mikami left after 4? And is there any chance of him ever returning?

Goldsickle

Games industry is the kind where they have to keep marketing to the new generation in order to survive, since people don't play games forever and companies can't depend on the same fans from 10-20 years ago to still be around to support (especially when they get picky even if they are still around).

So whatever claims or promises they make, expect it to be something that's designed to be marketable with the current generation.

berto

I Saw the Devil
biohazard6.jpg

@berto you seem to be very knowledgable about the series - do you know why Mikami left after 4? And is there any chance of him ever returning?
I could be mistaken but from what I understand he didn't leave after RE4 but rather GodHand. Clover's constant financial failures weren't making Capcom happy and they shut it down but the staff there wanted to make the games they wanted and so they left to form Seeds/P*. Whether or not Mikami could or would come back might be up to both him and Capcom and their personal standing on having him back as a freelance.

They didn't. It's another false rumor like Capcom being broke/near bankruptcy or DMC4 being rushed in development and having a ton of cut content.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=203921755&postcount=163
http://www.psu.com/News/11994/Resident-Evil-6-to-return-to-the-series-horror-roots

Considering the difference in themes for all 3/4 campaigns I'd wager they thought having Leon's campaign been atmosphere oriented and the others action that they would be pleasing everyone.

Last edited:

Sesha

http://www.psu.com/News/11994/Resident-Evil-6-to-return-to-the-series-horror-roots

Considering the difference in themes for all 3/4 campaigns I'd wager they thought having Leon's campaign been atmosphere oriented and the others action that they would be pleasing everyone.

Look again. There's nothing in the Capcom rep's comments about the series returning to its roots. He only says there will be more "horror". The part about the series returning to its roots seems to be pure conjecture by the person writing the article. Not only that, the relyonhorror article linked in that article has been pulled, so the article you quoted is unsourced.

Here's Masachika Kawata in March 2012 saying the exact opposite, that survival horror does not sell enough: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ll_for_Resident_Evil_says_Capcom_producer.php

I could be mistaken but from what I understand he didn't leave after RE4 but rather GodHand. Clover's constant financial failures weren't making Capcom happy and they shut it down but the staff there wanted to make the games they wanted and so they left to form Seeds/P*. Whether or not Mikami could or would come back might be up to both him and Capcom and their personal standing on having him back as a freelance.

Mikami is a full-time employee at Zenimax, and most likely working on The Evil Within 2. He's not coming back any time soon.

They say the same thing for every RE game since 4.

Incorrect.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=204025285&postcount=570

Frazz

General gamer
Games industry is the kind where they have to keep marketing to the new generation in order to survive, since people don't play games forever and companies can't depend on the same fans from 10-20 years ago to still be around to support (especially when they get picky even if they are still around).

So whatever claims or promises they make, expect it to be something that's designed to be marketable with the current generation.
Fortunately I think this generation, whilst overstuffed with remastered games, is less COD focused and we're seeing somewhat more varied games. Consider the love for Outlast which is a game that would have never been released in the 360/PS3 gen. There's also the love for Silent Hills and its cancellation genuinely infuriated people. I'd say horror gaming is in a better position for this generation, but you're right in that Capcom will just do what it think the majority wants instead of doing something creative.

Sesha

Fortunately I think this generation, whilst overstuffed with remastered games, is less COD focused and we're seeing somewhat more varied games. Consider the love for Outlast which is a game that would have never been released in the 360/PS3 gen. There's also the love for Silent Hills and its cancellation genuinely infuriated people. I'd say horror gaming is in a better position for this generation, but you're right in that Capcom will just do what it think the majority wants instead of doing something creative.

The opposite seems to be the case. The average console gamer is in their 30s, and the contraction of the market is forcing publishers to appeal to consumers via nostalgic brands and revivals in order to build interest. Younger markets are increasingly turning to mobile instead of console gaming. You see the same thing with blockbuster movies. Blockbuster movies appeal to 80s and 90s nostalgia with movies like TMNT, Jurassic World, Robocop, Space Jam 2. Companies like Disney is also banking hard on reboots and remakes of their classic brands like Jungle Book, Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Star Wars, etc. You see it with Pixar as well with more sequels and less original movies. People in their 30s and 40s have more disposable income than people in their teens and 20s. That's why entertainment media is increasingly appealing to them. And since people in their 30s and 40s have families of their own, they will bring their families along with them. Hence the massive successes of Jurassic World and Force Awakens.

In terms of games, that's why you're seeing Doom as a classic throwback, that's why FF7R is happening. In the future, expect more Dooms and FF7s. Of course there will be exceptions. All companies have their own business plans and models.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Mikami is a full-time employee at Zenimax, and most likely working on The Evil Within 2. He's not coming back any time soon.
I don't know that he'd be a full fledged employee since he has his own studio, unless Tango has gone to this Zenimax thing as a subsidiary, or however you spell it. I was just answering why he left, he went with P* and left to make Tango if you want to get more specific.

Still, even if he does answer to a higher division it's not as though he'd be the first producer/director who's done freelance work for another studio.

Is it possible for Mikami to make another RE game? Yeah, absolutely. Do I think it's going to happen? Pretty slim chances there. People stay busy and if he is, in fact, working a TEW2, which I've heard was a surprise hit considering mix receptions, then the guy has his hands busy with other stuff.

Top Bottom