• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Roguelike: The Solution to DmC's Difficulty Issue

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
A lot of people out there are saying that DmC should be as hard as DMC3, or at least as hard as DMC4.

I say no; the the DmC series (or even the classic series) needs to be even more so.

More than DMC3's DMD Turbo + Ninja Gaiden II's Master Ninja difficulties combined.

Sure, lets leave in the "Dante Must Die", "Dante Will Die", and Ninth Circle of Hell'" in there for DmC 2 and DMC5 (if they ever get made, that is).

You know, for the amateurs. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

But for those looking for a real challenge, let's add in another mode of play:

Roguelike.

Dark Souls has something similar to this, where you lose all your souls if you don't get back to the place where you died.

However, Roguelike games take everything you have (or at least, most of everything) immediately after you die.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike

"In some series, the permanent death feature applied only to the hard mode; this choice has been controversial amongst fans of the older games who prefer more challenging (and arguably more addictive) gameplay. Due to its lower demands on computer hardware, smaller data-size requirement, and the casual nature of gameplay—not to mention infinite replayability—the series has been particularly successful for hand-held consoles and, more recently, mobile phones."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, for this particular difficulty, I suggest using the title below:

Dante Gone Rogue

"DGR" isn't as catchy as DMD, but it it's supposed to be. It's supposed to remind the player of its difficulty; a sort of "shortening" of the word "Danger" if you will.

The DMC series doesn't need Roguelike in order to become more difficult, sure -- but you have to admit, some of the ideas in that genre would make for a good challenge, regardless.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/04/roguelikes-the-rebirth-of-the-counterculture

And now that roguelikes are becoming more popular, the DmC series can now achieve its 5 million sales --

-- just like Capcom always wanted! :cool:

Last edited:

The Final Offer

Turbo-Tastic!.png

EllDawn

A lot of people out there are saying that DmC should be as hard as DMC3, or at least as hard as DMC4.

I say no; the the DmC series (or even the classic series) needs to be even more so.

More than DMC3's DMD Turbo + Ninja Gaiden II's Master Ninja difficulties combined.

Sure, lets leave in the "Dante Must Die", "Dante Will Die", and Ninth Circle of Hell'" in there for DmC 2 and DMC5 (if they ever get made, that is).

You know, for the amateurs. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

But for those looking for a real challenge, let's add in another mode of play:

Roguelike.

Dark Souls has something similar to this, where you lose all your souls if you don't get back to the place where you died.

However, Roguelike games take everything you have (or at least, most of everything) immediately after you die.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike

"In some series, the permanent death feature applied only to the hard mode; this choice has been controversial amongst fans of the older games who prefer more challenging (and arguably more addictive) gameplay. Due to its lower demands on computer hardware, smaller data-size requirement, and the casual nature of gameplay—not to mention infinite replayability—the series has been particularly successful for hand-held consoles and, more recently, mobile phones."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, for this particular difficulty, I suggest using the title below:

Dante Gone Rogue

"DGR" isn't as catchy as DMD, but it it's supposed to be. It's supposed to remind the player of its difficulty; a sort of "shortening" of the word "Danger" if you will.

The DMC series doesn't need Roguelike in order to become more difficult, sure -- but you have to admit, some of the ideas in that genre would make for a good challenge, regardless.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/04/roguelikes-the-rebirth-of-the-counterculture

And now that roguelikes are becoming more popular, the DmC series can now achieve its 5 million sales --

-- just like Capcom always wanted! :cool:
That actually sounds a lot like what was done in Primal. If Jennifer died, then you took control of the gargoyle and had to find your way back to a gate in order to save her. You had maybe 30 seconds before it was game over and you had to start from where you last saved.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
That actually sounds a lot like what was done in Primal. If Jennifer died, then you took control of the gargoyle and had to find your way back to a gate in order to save her. You had maybe 30 seconds before it was game over and you had to start from where you last saved.
So, Kat could track Dante's body down if he dies. Clever.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Every Devil May Cry is easy when you know when to dodge, when to hit, and have good timing. And it's even more moronic that just by looking at DmC combo vids, people are like "This game's too easy because there are no enemies to stop you while you fight in the air.

UMM HELLO? WHAT ABOUT ALL THE COMBO VIDS OF DMC3 AND 4?

All you gotta do in past games is slice them up into the air, swing your sword and jump cancel. Wash, Lather, Rinse, and repeat. This is even more easy with Nero as he has the devil bringer to bring enemies up and just keep hacking away, while staying off the ground and easily pick one off the ground one at a time.

In combo vids of DMC3 and DMC4 the enemies are just as powerless while you have them in the air save the flying knights in DMC4.

Sometimes this fanbase lacks the common sense to actually pay attention.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I'm not trying to **** off anybody here. I'm just pointing out what I've noticed while playing DMC4 and DmC side by side while having DMC3 experience under my belt.
Heh, I was joking. I was trying to come up with a less offensive way to say, "You'll get the haters' knickers in a twist." lol

And yeah, I got what you were pointing out to me. Well said. :D

jagotron

Defender of The Universe
Rouge like devil may cry would be a great thing, they could have you play in a tenimigru style building with many rooms each randomized, beat a boss get his weapon move to next and slowly climb to the last boss, dying is hard reset all the way to the beginning, of course over your journey you aquire new items, for example: 1 gold orb maximum after beating a certain amount of bosses, different armor type buffs and of course divinity statues for upgrading all that stuff

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Rouge like devil may cry would be a great thing, they could have you play in a tenimigru style building with many rooms each randomized, beat a boss get his weapon move to next and slowly climb to the last boss, dying is hard reset all the way to the beginning, of course over your journey you aquire new items, for example: 1 gold orb maximum after beating a certain amount of bosses, different armor type buffs and of course divinity statues for upgrading all that stuff
This. You just described it way better than I could. I actually don't know all that much about roguelike, so your input helps a lot.

ChaserTech

Every Devil May Cry is easy when you know when to dodge, when to hit, and have good timing. And it's even more moronic that just by looking at DmC combo vids, people are like "This game's too easy because there are no enemies to stop you while you fight in the air.

UMM HELLO? WHAT ABOUT ALL THE COMBO VIDS OF DMC3 AND 4?

All you gotta do in past games is slice them up into the air, swing your sword and jump cancel. Wash, Lather, Rinse, and repeat. This is even more easy with Nero as he has the devil bringer to bring enemies up and just keep hacking away, while staying off the ground and easily pick one off the ground one at a time.

In combo vids of DMC3 and DMC4 the enemies are just as powerless while you have them in the air save the flying knights in DMC4.

Sometimes this fanbase lacks the common sense to actually pay attention.

Yeah except in combo videos for both DMC3 and DMC4, you're always comboing one enemy specifically, with no other enemies involved. This is apparent with most combo videos. But doing it in a room like this is no where near as easy as you claim it to be.

When people make claims that DmC is easy, it's probably because they are only seeing grounded enemies being picked off in the air one at a time while you JC them. And since the JC window is so huge, people think it's easier. Not to mention you could just knock enemies off ledges and cliffs within certain areas just to insta kill them.

That's not saying that DMC4/3 doesn't has some cheap ways of killing enemies on it's own as well. They all have the same problem. It's just people find that DmC has the easiest way of dealing with enemies.

Heh, I was joking. I was trying to come up with a less offensive way to say, "You'll get the haters' knickers in a twist." lol

It's being more offensive when it's being directed towards me. :/

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600

agreed with this. To expand a little: while it's true that individual enemies are mostly helpless when being comboed (unless chimera seeds are involved) DMC3 and 4 are games about fighting lots of enemies, not just one or two at a time. Every enemy has some way to get at you in the air and interrupt your "safe air combo" -- even a potato sack on normal difficulty will jump up and slash your nuts if you're getting too cozy up there. If you are only fighting one enemy, either you're fighting a miniboss, or the fight is already over and you're cleaning up, because no non-boss enemy in DMC is threatening on their own, and the designers are well aware of that

if DMC and DmC are compared by the difficulty of 1v1ing any given enemy, DmC is naturally going to win because DMC was about enemy count, and DmC was about more interesting single enemies. Hell, LDK difficulty isn't even a part of DmC because drowning nero in assaults is just a natural progression of difficulty, but filling a room with dreamrunners is just not nice. Most combo videos end up being inaccurate representations of the game because they tend to center on getting a single bucket of HP alone and then styling on the helpless thing. The process of getting that bucket on its own is usually much more interesting, but it's not as easy and tends to get featured less

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Yeah except in combo videos for both DMC3 and DMC4, you're always comboing one enemy specifically, with no other enemies involved. This is apparent with most combo videos. But doing it in a room like this is no where near as easy as you claim it to be.

Dude that vid was the worst example ever because half those dogs didn't even attack or interrupt you on combos and once again, get them in the air, slice them up, wash, lather, rinse, repeat.

When people make claims that DmC is easy, it's probably because they are only seeing grounded enemies being picked off in the air one at a time while you JC them. And since the JC window is so huge, people think it's easier. Not to mention you could just knock enemies off ledges and cliffs within certain areas just to insta kill them.

That's not saying that DMC4/3 doesn't has some cheap ways of killing enemies on it's own as well. They all have the same problem. It's just people find that DmC has the easiest way of dealing with enemies.

True, but I still think calling DmC easy ONLY based on combo vids seems baisless because the way you combo in DmC is the same as DMC3 and DMC4, which is getting a demon up, and doing your thing.

But that's just me.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
True, but I still think calling DmC easy ONLY based on combo vids seems baisless because the way you combo in DmC is the same as DMC3 and DMC4, which is getting a demon up, and doing your thing.

But that's just me.
Yeah, it is just you, 'cause you're dead wrong.

I have seen the light. DMC4 is the ****.

While DmC is just ****.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600

But that's just me.

Show me what you can do with royal guard

Top Bottom