• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Revise Mundus Boss Fight; My Thoughts.

EvilX-81

So it's more or less unananimous that people don't like the Mundus boss battle all around, so how would you redo it? Personally I would;

1. Make a fight vs human Mundus, which demonstrates Mundus's immortality and ridiculous power due to the hell gate.

2. The fight vs giant Mundus could be a little more like the fight with the Savior. Sure people don't like the Savior, but if we're going with gigantic boss fights, he was the most dynamic giant boss fight I've seen short of Shadow of the Colossus (even if it did have gigantic laser cannons appear out of nowhere so you could stun the Savior.) Perhaps have a scene with Mundus plowing over buildings as he chases you, annihilate a section of the city like he did with the Exchange, stuff like that. Anything to try to avoid or dull the obvious gigantic boss fight dynamic with fighting a huge monster ontop of a building.

3. Vergil gets sucked into Mundus could have more to it; this could've been a good chance to continue to show Vergil as the badass you'll soon be fighting next level, instead of both just wrestling with eachother, back and forth floating in a void.

4. Vergil's battle with Mundus inside could show repercussions for Dante fighting Mundus on the outside that gives each advantages in their fights. Dante breaks giant Mundus's hand, human Mundus's falters on his arm, and vice versa. So it's the brothers both bringing down Mundus instead of Vergil just surviving until Dante can bring him down.

So, how would you do it/what would you change?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I'd have you fight Mundus during the scene where he pushes you out of his tower and on that building. There, he'd fight you and you'd have to try and fight him there. However once you beat his first life, the cutscene comes in and he knocks the sword out of Dante's hand and pushes him to the ledge of the roof, just like the cutscene.

From there, I'd keep it all the same. I'd even keep Vergil in that wrestling match and use that as Vergil's drive to get stronger during Vergil's downfall...Or maybe that's what they were trying to do. Also I bet Dante would have the same problem if he was sucked up too.

MegaMad9

The Mad Man
I liked the Mundus boss fight, but I would add a feature where you would run up his arm, while a giant, and punch him in the face or something, as the final blow. I don't think it would be a good idea to have a mano e mano boss battle, right before another mano e mano boss battle against Vergil

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
I'd have you fight Mundus during the scene where he pushes you out of his tower and on that building. There, he'd fight you and you'd have to try and fight him there. However once you beat his first life, the cutscene comes in and he knocks the sword out of Dante's hand and pushes him to the ledge of the roof, just like the cutscene.

That's an excellent idea. It would use the gameplay to illustrate the power of Mundas and Dante's helplessness, destroying the avatar empowerment the player has developed throughout the game and made Vergil's rescue much more palpable. In fact it would be just like Megaman X when Vile kicks the crap out of you and Zero rescues you, but on a far grander scale. Glad to see there's someone with more sense than NT around here.

Personally I think this should have been the boss theme:

And that this should have been the Game Over sequence:

mundaslapu_zps8c3d1e08.gif

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
That's an excellent idea. It would use the gameplay to illustrate the power of Mundas and Dante's helplessness, destroying the avatar empowerment the player has developed throughout the game and made Vergil's rescue much more palpable. In fact it would be just like Megaman X when Vile kicks the crap out of you and Zero rescues you, but on a far grander scale. Glad to see there's someone with more sense than NT around here.

Personally I think this should have been the boss theme:

And that this should have been the Game Over sequence:

mundaslapu_zps8c3d1e08.gif

c43.png

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
You wouldn't see me if I were mad. Your face would melt first.

Also I'd have liked a final boss that wasn't the crappy version of Prince of Peria: The Forgotten Sands.

Sweet Cthulhu, it looks so much better.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
...reread my post about your suggestions for the fight. I was agreeing with you. Your ideas would have legitimately improved the final sequences of the game.

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
I agree making the Mundus fight more like the Savior fight would have been amazing, but I wonder if it would have broken the bank. My jaw still drops when I see the Savior in action.

Hm...I guess maybe put the fight in three stages with only three cutscenes splitting them (instead of cutscenes all over the place)? First stage, like you guys said, Dante fighting Mundus in his human body would be have been awesome...I think that was the biggest oversight. Second stage, Mundus transforms, and Dante fights in full partnership with Vergil (maybe with an option to control Vergil or call him over). Third stage, Vergil still gets snagged, and Dante fights alone, but yeah, this time Vergil makes himself useful. Like maybe warping space on the inside when Dante's worn Mundus down enough, Vergil throws his ass out where Dante attacks Mundus's human body and delivers the worst damage.

In one of the semi-cutscenes, I think Vergil used his Summoned Swords to create Angel Lift points for Dante to climb Mundus and inflict damage on his eye. Think it would have been cool if that had been integrated into the unbroken combat flow in the second stage: AI-controlled Vergil creates Angel Lift points, Dante has to take advantage of them fast before Mundus rips them off, otherwise he won't get really good shots in. As for Demon Pull, I guess in the third stage, Dante could use it at Mundus's stun points to drag him down close and get his eye. Man, I just really would have appreciated more dynamic environmental use of Ophion. It's such an interesting tool and you never got to do really crazy stuff with it.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Those are some damned good points, although I personally would avoid reminding people of Spardazilla.

Man, I just really would have appreciated more dynamic environmental use of Ophion. It's such an interesting tool and you never got to do really crazy stuff with it.

Remember the original reveal trailer, when Dante was using Ophion to smack demons about with cars? That could have been so cool, like Hulk: Ultimate Destruction meets Castlevania...

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
1. Make a fight vs human Mundus, which demonstrates Mundus's immortality and ridiculous power due to the hell gate.
I would have really liked to see Dante throw down with a superpowered human Mundus, just to show how dangerous he was even as a human. Plus it would have been a good lead up to the monster Mundus fight.
Watching Dante when Mundus was on him, trying to tear him open made me feel like I wanted some part in the events leading up to it. Like a small battle maybe, even if it did end with Mundus pinning Dante down and winning.
Not that I didn't like what we got, but a human Mundus fight would have made the giant Mundus fight more awesome.

Also, for the actual monster fight, I would have liked a few more attacks for Mundus. He doesn't have much variety. Fireball, lava from his mouth and then variations of throwing his fists around. Have I missed any?

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Nah, that's about it. The Mundus fight was pretty lackluster, to the point ANYTHING probably could have made it better by mixing it up. It also gets pretty broken at points when he started multi pounding the ground with the shockwaves and it pretty much pins you down into utter rapage as your life is reamed to nothing in five seconds if you don't manage to move in second you have read his attack.

Eric

Great Demon King of Evil
I personally agree with how you would redo the battle, EvilX-81.

But I would also like to add something regarding his final form. Why is it that we get stuck with Mundatron? I mean seriously? Not even Dante's appearance was changed this drastically. I would have preferred if he had looked at least somewhat like he did in the first game or at least more demon like rather than a ****ty Megatron on steroids. I know it's a new developer and all, but still....

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Megatron? YOu insult teh Great Tyrant of Steel! No no, Mundus was more of a Mundustator ala Bayformers Devestator. he even suctioned in Vergil! ...too bad he couldn't have eaten Skids and Mudflaps too...

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
I kind of get the feeling that the original idea NT were striking at with Mundas's True Form was that the very city itself becomes a giant monster; an avatar of the society which denies a social outcast like Dante. It could have ended up being a demonic version of Jack Hawksmoor from Stormwatch when he absorbed Tokyo so he could beat up a giant monster version of Kansas City in a huge Kaiju battle.

No really, that happened.

tumblr_m7u412i4R91rcp7bmo1_500.jpg

Go read Stormwatch, it's awesome.

Unfortunately the ambition exceeded ability and resources, so Mundas had to have most of his final form just appear to be a mass of tar. It's funny that people compare it to Megatron when I was hoping it would look more like Metroplex.

transformers-fall-of-cybertron-metroplex-8.jpg

Top Bottom