• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Railazel's Ultimate DmC Control Scheme/Gameplay Idea!

Railazel

(You guys are probably annoyed at these personal threads, ain'tcha?)

Now, take some notes Ninja Theory because I'm about to school ya!

You see, I've thought very hard on how to make the best DmC game in history in terms of gameplay. Particularly, what kind of themes and mechanics would it have? Well, I've figured all that out. I've compiled a sort of theory on how to make the best Action game possible. Ultimately, this could combine customization, strategization, and free- form combat all into a perfect mix of awesomeness and bring its platforming to great heights. (As you can see, I'm very proud of this.)

Now, to start with the Control Scheme:

Triangle: Normal Attack/Weapon/Block (no mode)
Square: Angel Attack/Weapon/Dash (no mode)
Circle: Demon Attack/Weapon/Grab (no mode)
X: Jump/Evade/Wall- Run (no mode)
R1: Sword Mode/(Lock- on)
L1: Gun Mode/ (Lock- on)
L2: Devil Trigger
R2: Lock- on
Up: Normal Switch
Down: Demon Switch
Right: Angel Switch
Left: Weapon Switch
Start: Main Menu
Select: Taunt/In- Battle Context (for certain battles)
R3: Default Camera

Now, of course, here are the themes:

Three Modes Turned Attacks, New Modes Come Up

The thing that sucks about Modes is that games tend to make them seem more like different styles of attacks rather than forms of organized gameplay. So, I decided to switch that. Organized gameplay is more economic gameplay, right?

So, what I did was take things as they are: The Angel and Demon modes as really forms of attacks and Swords and guns as forms of weaponry. Once I took the swords and guns as forms of weaponry, I could seperate them and turn them into modes. But what of the original modes?

New Types of Attacks = New Forms of Style

Now that Angel, Normal, and Demon mode were attacks, each individual weapon has three different type of attacks. And I can guess you guys can imagine how many possibilities there are in that. Take the weapons of DMC 3 for example. That's three different types of attacks per weapon, and there are five swords and five guns. That's thirty different types of attacks right there! However, now let's add combos into that. Each type of attack has its set of combos. For now, let's say... 5 combos per attack. So that's 15 different combos times the thirty different types of attacks. That's 450 unique combos! And if we add combo mixing as a factor? I'm pretty sure you guys can imagine how many possibilities there are in that, And that's not mentioning the quick weapon switching as well the ability to switch attack modes for each weapon on the fly. Oh, and don't forget charging attacks and pausing in between them. That's right, the possibilities are now endless. But that's for attacks, what about everything else?

A Third Mode For The Extra

So while all the attacks have their place in Sword and Gun mode, the rest have their place in the third Unarmed (this is a misnomer if you can't tell) mode. Here you can block, grab, and dash. This is meant for both defense and platforming.

The Grab system is the same Angel Lift and Demon Pull system, just all on one button. However, Angel Lift and Demon Pull have different configurations, and now there's a Human Grab which is what you use to swing from place to place as well as to whip and stun your enemies.

But that ain't all, you can infinitely dash in any direction. This could help in tough situations.

Though, I have to admit, blocking is just blocking, but at least you automatically block in all directions, right?

So we've covered platforming and free- form combat. What about customization and strategy?

A Portable Divine Statue For Your Convenience

Yep, that's right folks. Instead of you having to wait in- between missions or for an actual Divine Statue. You can now enhance or demote (is that the right word?) your weapons whenever you want. Though you still need to buy new stuff at a Divine Statue, you can customize your weapons whenever you need to.

So at least Customization's down, now to Strategy.

Enemies Don't Care About Your Razzle Dazzle

If you guys like the way the Style meter has evolved, well kiss all that goodbye. Enemies' will be extremely tough, each will have a weakness and a defence for that weakness (and I don't just mean shields either). So it'll be harder to get high style scores. So, what's the point of the free- form combat? So you can have as many resources as possible at your disposable. The point of this is really to experiment and figure out what works and what doesn't. When you figure out a way towards their weakness and what that weakness is, then you can go willd.

And I think that's about it. So what do you guys think?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
(You guys are probably annoyed at these personal threads, ain'tcha?)

Now, take some notes Ninja Theory because I'm about to school ya!

You see, I've thought very hard on how to make the best DmC game in history in terms of gameplay. Particularly, what kind of themes and mechanics would it have? Well, I've figured all that out. I've compiled a sort of theory on how to make the best Action game possible. Ultimately, this could combine customization, strategization, and free- form combat all into a perfect mix of awesomeness and bring its platforming to great heights. (As you can see, I'm very proud of this.)

Now, to start with the Control Scheme:

Triangle: Normal Attack/Weapon/Block (no mode)
Square: Angel Attack/Weapon/Dash (no mode)
Circle: Demon Attack/Weapon/Grab (no mode)
X: Jump/Evade/Wall- Run (no mode)
L2: Devil Trigger
Start: Main Menu
Select: Taunt/In- Battle Context (for certain battles)
R3: Default Camera

Now, of course, here are the themes:

Three Modes Turned Attacks, New Modes Come Up

The thing that sucks about Modes is that games tend to make them seem more like different styles of attacks rather than forms of organized gameplay. So, I decided to switch that. Organized gameplay is more economic gameplay, right?

So, what I did was take things as they are: The Angel and Demon modes as really forms of attacks and Swords and guns as forms of weaponry. Once I took the swords and guns as forms of weaponry, I could seperate them and turn them into modes. But what of the original modes?

New Types of Attacks = New Forms of Style

Now that Angel, Normal, and Demon mode were attacks, each individual weapon has three different type of attacks. And I can guess you guys can imagine how many possibilities there are in that. Take the weapons of DMC 3 for example. That's three different types of attacks per weapon, and there are five swords and five guns. That's thirty different types of attacks right there! However, now let's add combos into that. Each type of attack has its set of combos. For now, let's say... 5 combos per attack. So that's 15 different combos times the thirty different types of attacks. That's 450 unique combos! And if we add combo mixing as a factor? I'm pretty sure you guys can imagine how many possibilities there are in that, And that's not mentioning the quick weapon switching as well the ability to switch attack modes for each weapon on the fly. Oh, and don't forget charging attacks and pausing in between them. That's right, the possibilities are now endless. But that's for attacks, what about everything else?

A Third Mode For The Extra

So while all the attacks have their place in Sword and Gun mode, the rest have their place in the third Unarmed (this is a misnomer if you can't tell) mode. Here you can block, grab, and dash. This is meant for both defense and platforming.

The Grab system is the same Angel Lift and Demon Pull system, just all on one button. However, Angel Lift and Demon Pull have different configurations, and now there's a Human Grab which is what you use to swing from place to place as well as to whip and stun your enemies.

But that ain't all, you can infinitely dash in any direction. This could help in tough situations.

Though, I have to admit, blocking is just blocking, but at least you automatically block in all directions, right?

So we've covered platforming and free- form combat. What about customization and strategy?

A Portable Divine Statue For Your Convenience

Yep, that's right folks. Instead of you having to wait in- between missions or for an actual Divine Statue. You can now enhance or demote (is that the right word?) your weapons whenever you want. Though you still need to buy new stuff at a Divine Statue, you can customize your weapons whenever you need to.

So at least Customization's down, now to Strategy.

Enemies Don't Care About Your Razzle Dazzle

If you guys like the way the Style meter has evolved, well kiss all that goodbye. Enemies' will be extremely tough, each will have a weakness and a defence for that weakness (and I don't just mean shields either). So it'll be harder to get high style scores. So, what's the point of the free- form combat? So you can have as many resources as possible at your disposable. The point of this is really to experiment and figure out what works and what doesn't. When you figure out a way towards their weakness and what that weakness is, then you can go willd.

And I think that's about it. So what do you guys think?

How do you know the enemies aren't tough in the actual game? Not big on the portable DS. After and before I'd like to level up. Having DS with you at all times would seem like you're being carried by the hand through the game. Honestly, putting every trigger and attack on one button seems really confusing, especially when it envolves alot of configuring and constantly remembering which buttons which. DmC's button scheme was a bit easier to follow IMO. We already have the "New forms of style" part in there from weapon switching on the fly and the combo mixing too.

Other then all that pretty good scheme.

Tiran

The great pretender.
It is. And, it does not allow for weapon selection on the fly. Plus you have to take your thumb off the stick to change modes. Two faults right there that slow down game play. Also, on top of the forms, you also have two separate weapons based modes which require separate commands to activate. So, this convolution vs three simple modes which instantly select from one of potentially twelve different weapons as well as changing your powers in one pull of a trigger. Right.

You just miss the lock-on and taunt, right?

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
looks awkward and overly complicated and it seems focused on extra things (evasion,grapples, blocking) instead of attacking which makes no sense. if you want to create a better control scheme for DmC it would make more sense to improve the existing DmC control scheme or find a way to adapt the DMC3/4 control scheme to DmC.

Railazel

How do you know the enemies aren't tough in the actual game?

I'm not talking about the actual game.

Not big on the portable DS. After and before I'd like to level up. Having DS with you at all times would seem like you're being carried by the hand through the game.

No, not really. The point of the DS is to allow you to change your strength, speed, etc. in the middle of the battle. You can't buy anything until the end or beginning of a mission or until you find an actual DS. It's like in God of War where you can add experience to your weapons and abilities, but the difference is that you can take that away.

Honestly, putting every trigger and attack on one button seems really confusing, especially when it envolves alot of configuring and constantly remembering which buttons which.
Seems complicated.
looks awkward and overly complicated

No, it's actually quite simple and easy. There are no Demon and Angel weapons, just weapons that can be given Angel and Demon attacks. For example, Osiris wouldn't be a Angel scythe, just a scythe. But press the Angel button on the D- pad and *poof* you have an angelic scythe. Now, press the Demon button and *poof* now its a demon scythe. Same weapon, same attacks, just different qualities.

We already have the "New forms of style" part in there from weapon switching on the fly and the combo mixing too.

Under certain conditions though. Berto said he couldn't combo mix whenever he wanted and someone said you had to use a paused combo in order to do it.

it seems focused on extra things (evasion,grapples, blocking) instead of attacking which makes no sense.

I don't understand what this means. I'm pretty sure I focused more on attacking than I did on anything else.

Plus you have to take your thumb off the stick to change modes.

In DmC's control scheme, you have to take your thumb stick to change weapons.

Also, on top of the forms, you also have two separate weapons based modes which require separate commands to activate.

In DmC, you have two seperate weapon- based modes that require seperate commands to activate.

And, it does not allow for weapon selection on the fly. Plus you have to take your thumb off the stick to change modes.

Check again.

if you want to create a better control scheme for DmC it would make more sense to improve the existing DmC control scheme or find a way to adapt the DMC3/4 control scheme to DmC.

Of course because, obviously, I did not do that in the first. Nope, I did not. I just went to every genre of gameplay I could think of, took notes on all their faults and strengths, tried to apply them to DmC's control, and come up with something that obviously has nothing to do with its already existing control scheme.

Nope, I just wrote a whole bunch of bullcrap.

Other then all that pretty good scheme.

Despite the fact that you complained about its entire basis?

*sigh*

Let me try to make this simple. You have Sword mode and Gun mode. Okay? Sword mode for swords, Gun mode for guns. Nothing complicated about that. You have three different attacks: Angel, Demon, and Normal. You can switch those up whenever you feel like using the D- Pad. Nothing complicated about that.

It's the same structure as DmC. In DmC, you have two modes on the trigger button. In DmC, you have three different types of attacks: Guns/Grab, Main, and Juggle.

The only difference between my control scheme and DmC's is that DmC has two evade buttons on R1 and L1. But I also have two evade buttons: Evade for when you're in a mode and Dash for when you're not. You understand? If you want to evade, just press a trigger button, point in the direction you want to go on the analog stick, and press the X button. Just like the old DMC way. You want to dash instead? Easy! Just point in the direction you want to go and press the Square button. No trigger button necessary. Just like in DmC.

Stuff from DMC combined with stuff from DmC. Simple.

I'll admit that I might have made it sound complicated, but the scheme is just as simple as DmC's. How do I know? Because I took it directly from DmC.

Tiran

The great pretender.
O.k. This control scheme is far too complicated. The new system is made so that weapons can be chosen directly - not cycled through. The angel demon and human modes are switchable without breaking flow- an issue that having to use the directional buttons to switch weapons' abilities will heighten.

If I want to perform a certain move with a certain weapon, with a certain power, I must first cycle through the list of weapons 'till I get to the one I want, then, select the angel or demon abilities, then hold down the sword lock on and attack. If I want to switch weapons to the one I want- I must do this all over again. None if this can be done on the fly or instantly.

Also, Choosing angel or demon styles and STILL having an angel and demon attack button as well is extremely redundant. In an angel style All attacks should bend that way. Same with Demon style.

Also, let's see just how DmC does gunslinger moves with it's much more streamlined combat system. Of which, only the lack of lock-on is worrying to those who may care.

Railazel

O.k. This control scheme is far too complicated.

Here we go again.

The new system is made so that weapons can be chosen directly - not cycled through.

No, it's not. Please tell me where in my post do I say that you have to select a weapon.

The angel demon and human modes are switchable without breaking flow- an issue that having to use the directional buttons to switch weapons' abilities will heighten.

How?

If I want to perform a certain move with a certain weapon, with a certain power, I must first cycle through the list of weapons 'till I get to the one I want, then, select the angel or demon abilities, then hold down the sword lock on and attack. If I want to switch weapons to the one I want- I must do this all over again. None if this can be done on the fly or instantly.

You do realize that there's a weapon switch button on the D- Pad right?

The three attacks buttons are also three weapon button, as in three seperate weapons that you can switch through on the fly without really switching through them. Press the Triangle button, that's one weapon. Press the Square, that's another weapon. Press the X button, that's a third weapon.

I'm pretty sure that was clear:

Also, Choosing angel or demon styles and STILL having an angel and demon attack button as well is extremely redundant. In an angel style All attacks should bend that way. Same with Demon style.

What's redundant about it? Let's say you have all weapons on Demon mode, that's still three seperate weapons with three seperate qualities. And if you don't like, just press another button on the D- Pad. Easy!

You're just overthinking things.

Razyel

Soul Reaver
Please explain this lock-on system + gun mode & sword mode are there 3 lock-on buttons or ...?
and these :

Railazel

Please explain this lock-on system + gun mode & sword mode are there 3 lock-on buttons or ...?
and these :

The Sword and Gun mode triggers act as Lock- on buttons too, so yes there are three. The third one is for when you aren't in Sword or Gun mode.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
I don't understand what this means. I'm pretty sure I focused more on attacking than I did on anything else.

your proposed control scheme has no basic attacks in the default mode. to do any attacks you have to press at least two buttons but you can do things like dodging attacks and grapples with one button. that is focusing on things other than attacks.

your control scheme is ridiculously complicated. easy access to moves is more important that having more combos than you could ever possibly need. games need to be playable.

Tiran

The great pretender.

Wait, it seems like each attack button switches to a different weapon? You need to give an example of a situation where your system is an improvement over the existing one.

Also, it looks like your goal is to maximize the size of the move-set. Devil mat cry has never been about having more moves and set combos, that's Bayonetta and ninja Gaiden territory. Devil may cry is about instant customization, improvisation and switching. With that, you create your own combos.

In your system mode and weapon selection are separate. In the new one, weapons and modes are linked. There aren't demon attacks for angel weapons or quick angel attacks for demon weapons for obvious reasons. The existing move-set still provides charged and rushing attacks for angel and human weapons to maximize their hit strength however, so separate demon and angel attacks are irrelevant. Demon weapons are slow power based weapons, so having swift attacks for them would break the theme.

The d-pad selects a certain weapon group human demon and angel, the triggers select the type, demon human or angel. That means you can have up to twelve different weapons at your disposal, instantly. You could go from weapon two, to weapon eight or three to ten or two to seven... all instantly without having to cycle past the ones you don't want to get to the one you do.
If I'm in angel mode, all the directions on the d-pad select angel weapons. If I'm in demon mode all the buttons select demon weapons. By default, all my moves and evasive maneuvers have been switched to demon, angel or human moves and maneuvers. The simple trigger pull or release single mode switch changes your entire button function as well as your selection of weapons. there are three modes, that means you have three times as many possibilities in terms of weapon and move selection with four directions on the pad, you have a max of twelve weapons to choose from.
While attacking wildly in one mode all you have to do is pull another trigger or release one to instantly change your style moves, button functions and weapon, instantly.

Clean, easy, smooth.

Frantix

This biggest problem here is that you're trying to make it too similar to classic DMC, while keeping some vague elements of DmC's combat mechanics. It just doesn't work. It's far too complicated, and it requires too much finger gymnastics.

Tiran

The great pretender.
Wait, it seems like each attack button switches to a different weapon? You need to give an example of a situation where your system is an improvement over the existing one.

Also, it looks like your goal is to maximize the size of the move-set. Devil mat cry has never been about having more moves and set combos, that's Bayonetta and ninja Gaiden territory. Devil may cry is about instant customization, improvisation and switching. With that, you create your own combos.

In your system mode and weapon selection are separate. In the new one, weapons and modes are linked. There aren't demon attacks for angel weapons or quick angel attacks for demon weapons for obvious reasons. The existing move-set still provides charged and rushing attacks for angel and human weapons to maximize their hit strength however, so separate demon and angel attacks are irrelevant. Demon weapons are slow power based weapons, so having swift attacks for them would break the theme.

The d-pad selects a certain weapon group human demon and angel, the triggers select the type, demon human or angel. That means you can have up to twelve different weapons at your disposal, instantly. You could go from weapon two, to weapon eight or three to ten or two to seven... all instantly without having to cycle past the ones you don't want to get to the one you do.
If I'm in angel mode, all the directions on the d-pad select angel weapons. If I'm in demon mode all the buttons select demon weapons. By default, all my moves and evasive maneuvers have been switched to demon, angel or human moves and maneuvers. The simple trigger pull or release single mode switch changes your entire button function as well as your selection of weapons. there are three modes, that means you have three times as many possibilities in terms of weapon and move selection with four directions on the pad, you have a max of twelve weapons to choose from.
While attacking wildly in one mode all you have to do is pull another trigger or release one to instantly change your style moves, button functions and weapon, instantly.

Clean, easy, smooth.

(All that being said, two attack buttons would be preferable to one.)

Railazel

that is focusing on things other than attacks.

No, it's not. Just because I make blocking simple doesn't mean that that is the main focus of the control scheme.

This biggest problem here is that you're trying to make it too similar to classic DMC, while keeping some vague elements of DmC's combat mechanics. It just doesn't work. It's far too complicated, and it requires too much finger gymnastics.

What finger gymnastics?

Take the 12 weapons that you keep mentioning. In my scheme each of those weapons will have three forms, which is the same as having 36 different weapons.

Okay, the way it works is this:

Let's say the only weapons you have is Rebellion in Sword mode and E&I on Gun mode. Each weapon has three forms: Angel, Demon, and Normal. Let's say that Rebellion's Normal mode is on the Triangle Button, it's Demon mode on Square, and Angel's on Circle. Same thing for E&I.

Now, you want to do a standard Combo A. Easy. You just hold the R1 button and press Triangle, Circle, or Square three times. It's the same Combo A throughout each button, but it has different qualities. Because of this, you can mix it up however you like. Let's say that you are pounding on one enemy and, while you're in the middle of a combo, another enemy pops up close to you. Now, let's say that Rebellion's Angel makes it blade long but slow. You can go from a Normal Combo A and give it an Angel finisher.

This is better than DmC's because DmC's won't always be able to finish a combo the way you like. For example, You're in Normal mode doing a Combo A. You want to finish it with Angel Weapon 2 but in Angel Mode you're currently on Angel Weapon 1. The only way you can get to Angel Weapon 2 is if you press L2 and press a D- Pad button, but you'll have to pause your combo in order to do it, going from a Combo A to Combo B with an Angel finisher. But what if you don't want to pause your combo? Or what if you don't have the time for it? What if by the time you get to Angel Weapon 2, you've already taken damage and your combo was interrupted?

The fastest way for you to get to Angel Weapon 2 is with the press of a button. In Sword Mode, Weapons 1, 2, and 3 are already available. If you aren't already on the mode you want, just press a Switch button on the D- Pad simultaneously with the Weapon button and it'll automatically switch to the form you want at the same time that you attack.

Now, let's say you want to switch from Sword Mode to Gun Mode to use E&I. Just let go of R1 and press L1, you won't even need to stop pressing any of the shape buttons. It's a simple switch.

If you want to block, just let go of the trigger button.

The only major flaw in this system is that you won't having a large array of weaponry would be a setback.

asurai

It's not that it's bad. It's simply unintuitive in my opinion. Even if with your own control scheme it is necessary/something you desire, it is redundant having 3 lock-on buttons. You can have the best control scheme in the world to support every little thing you want, but it is pointless if the control scheme is unintuitive. People are already complaining about DmC's control scheme being too much. What makes you believe, this is not rhetorical, that people would not think your own control scheme is too much? For the action genre it is always a battle of balance. You want to be able to do whatever you want - sometimes however it is unfeasible. You must make your game simple enough for anyone to be able to pick up and with minimal ease get the basics. In DMC it was simple enough, you pressed triangle you swung your sword. You pressed square, you shot your guns.

Let us make an example. Someone goes over to their friend's house. They see the game and think it's cool. It's in the middle of a mission in the middle of the game so there is no tutorial. Their friend decides to go out and get a drink of water, perhaps. They start to fiddle with the controls. They're going to initially think that it is entirely inconsistent due to the sheer volume of things you can do. This is going to be too much for someone who is perhaps not initially into these types of games, even if they want to be. It's going to confuse them, and frustrate them. This is not good design. DMC had good design since even if there was a hard lock on you did not actually have to use it at all to do anything.

Also you are going off of what Berto said about not being able to switch weapons mid-combo when they have admitted that they may just not have been able to pull it off when it had been confirmed prior that you infact could. So it is something that is left to be seen.

This is simply my 2 cents and my take on the matter.

Railazel

It's not that it's bad. It's simply unintuitive in my opinion. Even if with your own control scheme it is necessary/something you desire, it is redundant having 3 lock-on buttons. You can have the best control scheme in the world to support every little thing you want, but it is pointless if the control scheme is unintuitive. People are already complaining about DmC's control scheme being too much. What makes you believe, this is not rhetorical, that people would not think your own control scheme is too much? For the action genre it is always a battle of balance. You want to be able to do whatever you want - sometimes however it is unfeasible. You must make your game simple enough for anyone to be able to pick up and with minimal ease get the basics. In DMC it was simple enough, you pressed triangle you swung your sword. You pressed square, you shot your guns.

Let us make an example. Someone goes over to their friend's house. They see the game and think it's cool. It's in the middle of a mission in the middle of the game so there is no tutorial. Their friend decides to go out and get a drink of water, perhaps. They start to fiddle with the controls. They're going to initially think that it is entirely inconsistent due to the sheer volume of things you can do. This is going to be too much for someone who is perhaps not initially into these types of games, even if they want to be. It's going to confuse them, and frustrate them. This is not good design. DMC had good design since even if there was a hard lock on you did not actually have to use it at all to do anything.

Ah! Good point, but I have took this into consideration. That's why all the more defensive stuff are more easier to access than the actual attack buttons. A person may start fiddling around but the first things they'll learn about are how to block, evade, and whip. With some experimentation, they might get used to the other actions. For example, a person may press the Circle button and say, "Oh, this is to whip." But they want to figure out how to aim, so they press one of the trigger buttons. They press R1 and realize, "Hey, this is to use weapons!" They might also notice that they are locked on to their enemy. Now, what if they want to whip their opponent? They fiddle with the trigger buttons some more and press R2, realizing that that is the lock- on button. They press the Square button and notice that that's to dash from one place to another. Press the Triangle button, they block. It's one of those things where you can be a beginner player and be able to ease your way into the control scheme without worrying about absolutely sucking because most of the defensive maneuvers are right there for your disposal. Everything else can be discovered by just testing out the control scheme.

Also you are going off of what Berto said about not being able to switch weapons mid-combo when they have admitted that they may just not have been able to pull it off when it had been confirmed prior that you infact could. So it is something that is left to be seen.

This is simply my 2 cents and my take on the matter.

Actually, someone said that you had to use a paused combo in order to switch mid- combo (seemingly, someone else was able to do it and had confirmed that). To be sure, I thought algorithmically about how you can switch between Angel and Demon weapons mid- combo and the only way to do that with all potential weapons on the D- Pad is by having to pause the combo. The only way I can see this done without pausing is to simultaneously press on the D- Pad and the Trigger button but, since the demo only has Arbiter and Osiris to switch to, simultaneous input isn't necessary in the demo neither will they be in beginning portions of the game where you only have three weapons. So the question is how are they going to allow immediate mid- combo weapon switching without pausing to switch between weapons?

Tiran

The great pretender.
No, it's not. Just because I make blocking simple doesn't mean that that is the main focus of the control scheme.

What finger gymnastics?

Take the 12 weapons that you keep mentioning. In my scheme each of those weapons will have three forms, which is the same as having 36 different weapons.

The only major flaw in this system is that you won't having a large array of weaponry would be a setback.

That's the point!!!
Variety in action games with weapons based combat comes from it's diversity of weapons. Your control scheme misses the problem solved by the new controls. That is: How do you maximize deep combat and large instantly selectable weapon variety without limiting the number of weapons? Also, what is the easiest way to make twelve weapons selectable each one to another instantaneously mid-combo ON-THE-FLY? Your system does not allow the solution to this problem.

It may be a good combat system, who knows, but it misses the point of this one. It cannot replace it without creating a whole other set of serious issues.

chocolatepanda

Actually, someone said that you had to use a paused combo in order to switch mid- combo (seemingly, someone else was able to do it and had confirmed that). To be sure, I thought algorithmically about how you can switch between Angel and Demon weapons mid- combo and the only way to do that with all potential weapons on the D- Pad is by having to pause the combo. The only way I can see this done without pausing is to simultaneously press on the D- Pad and the Trigger button but, since the demo only has Arbiter and Osiris to switch to, simultaneous input isn't necessary in the demo neither will they be in beginning portions of the game where you only have three weapons. So the question is how are they going to allow immediate mid- combo weapon switching without pausing to switch between weapons?

I think the reason you have to pause is since not all the weapons have the same number of attacks for there basic combo the just used to the pause combo to enable u to switch and continue a combo since all weapons will have a pause combo. But they may find a way around this at some point be its released. You can switch weapons at anytime it seems but your combo will just reset to the 1st hit with the weapon you switched to if not done during a pause i think.

Top Bottom