• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Proto and Alto Angelos

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
Do you feel they're a decent replacement for Alto/Bianco Angelos or that they're a step down? I personally feel they're a step up story wise (being an attempt by mundus to recreate the spardas' skills in battle) only downside is i wish they were more coordinated with the scudos like altos were with biancos, giving them access to entirely new team attacks. Ive only played it on SOS and DH so far so there might be on higher difficulties

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
I really like them but I find the alto and bianco Angelo to be more tricky and faster

I could simply kill the scudo and proto Angelo easy in demon hunter mode but they became harder in dante must die but I can easy dodge their attack, and the shield from the scudo Angelo can be broken easyli while the bianco angelo were harder to brake and I had to use a more tactical approce from behind to defeat them

berto

I Saw the Devil
I'm rather ambivalent about them. I like them better than the Blancos but you are right that they are more chaotic because they lack that uniformity that the Blancos had. I also don't care for the DmC design they have.

Sean Gow

You know what, I quite liked them.

The only thing I thought was a massive missed opportunity, was having our first encounter with them, when playing as Nero and V, instead of Dante.

Purely from a thematic point of view, I always felt like that moment we see them for the first time, should have been with Dante, so he could have a real ‘WTF’ moment.
Instead, by the time we fight our first Proto Angelo as Dante, he doesn’t even bat an eyelid, and that just seems jarring.

Since from a story standpoint, that was basically the way Vergil looked the last time Dante saw him alive, just before he killed him.

Massive missed opportunity to have a bit of a ‘moment’ in my opinion.

Great to fight loads of them together though!!
That first fight is sick!!!!

Vergil95

You know what, I quite liked them.

The only thing I thought was a massive missed opportunity, was having our first encounter with them, when playing as Nero and V, instead of Dante.

Purely from a thematic point of view, I always felt like that moment we see them for the first time, should have been with Dante, so he could have a real ‘WTF’ moment.
Instead, by the time we fight our first Proto Angelo as Dante, he doesn’t even bat an eyelid, and that just seems jarring.

Since from a story standpoint, that was basically the way Vergil looked the last time Dante saw him alive, just before he killed him.

Massive missed opportunity to have a bit of a ‘moment’ in my opinion.

Great to fight loads of them together though!!
That first fight is sick!!!!
I think it s ok to see them the first time as V and Nero since we saw V reaction to them but I think they should at least point them out whit dante whit a cutscene in Wich he refer to them as the one he fight in dmc 1, in mission 10 he simply fight them as normal enemy he could have at least say something in game during the battle or after like: this demon, they look like him, is there some connection whit mundus?
Or else

In dmc 5 novel dante say that he doesn't remember the demon he fight against nor their name neither their appearance, he only remembers one, the one that killed his mother mundus, that s probably a reason why he didn't even point out the angelo, and didn't recognize the other enemy from dmc 1 such as griffon and shadow, the nobody too

Last edited:

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
I think it s ok to see them the first time as V and Nero since we saw V reaction to them but I think they should at least point them out whit dante whit a cutscene in Wich he refer to them as the one he fight in dmc 1, in mission 10 he simply fight them as normal enemy he could have at least say something in game during the battle or after like: this demon, they look like him, is there some connection whit mundus?
Or else

In dmc 5 novel dante say that he doesn't remember the demon he fight against nor their name neither their appearance, he only remembers one, the one that killed his mother mundus, that s probably a reason why he didn't even point out the angelo, and didn't recognize the other enemy from dmc 1 such as griffon and shadow, the nobody too
Except for the fact that dante says "feels like mallet island all over again when fighting the MI trio

Vergil95

Except for the fact that dante says "feels like mallet island all over again when fighting the MI trio
But didn't recognize them when seeing the first time, he only recognize them during mission 18, he didn t even recognize cerberus at first

I have some doubt that he might even recognize vergil some day XD

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I like them more than the Biancos, but my problem is that they get a massive defense boost on DMD. The fact they have only a fews moves makes them more tedious to fight.

I'm rather ambivalent about them. I like them better than the Blancos but you are right that they are more chaotic because they lack that uniformity that the Blancos had. I also don't care for the DmC design they have.

I don't see any DmC design other than maybe their faces. Otherwise, everything is DMC1 to me.

latest

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
How much more do you want? It's a pretty prominent part and they even zoom in on it for good measure.

I don't know what else to react to. I am not denying there's a little DmC as the 1% and DMC1 being the 99% to the design. They have a face a little similar to the Dreamrunners, but I am not seeing anything else. Sorry.

Edit: Unless there is more I am not seeing. But still sorry about that.

Last edited:

Vergil95

Also even if it was 100% dmc design I didn't see what was the problem, since dmc design was pretty good

They are 100 % dmc 1 design since they look lexactly like nelo Angelo, even the face, only that they are faceless but the form of the head and lineamen are nelo Angelo

What do you expect? For the team to not make faceless enemy because dmc used faceless enemy?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Unless there is more I am not seeing. But still sorry about that.
Well, first off it looks like the Elite Stygian. The face looks like a mix between the dream runner and the elite.

Second, FORGIVENESS IS FOR THE WEAK!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
How much more do you want?

Uhm... Like, something more than a tiny percentage of their body I'd say. Proto Angelo's scream Nero Angelo design from every polygon and every pixel of their textures.

Just the face is way too little to say that their design is DmCish when literally all the rest is so clearly inspired by Nero Angelo.

Well, first off it looks like the Elite Stygian.

How though? Protos and Elite Stygians look nothing alike.

images

Their body type is completely different for starters, Stygians carry their blade in a completely different way, the blade itself is a different type, the color patterns are not the same as well as their motifs... I'm confuzzled, my lad.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
Like, something more than a tiny percentage of their body I'd say
What part of the body is the single biggest identifier of any living being who can't do so by sniffing the other's butt? It's not the torso, even if it has the largest percentage of real estate for the human body. The face is the most important identifier for anthropomorphic creatures and the fact that it's a very small part of the human body doesn't diminish it importance. Put the face on something else and it's not the face that becomes the rest of the thing. It's why we get photos of character's faces and not other random parts that might be a bigger percentage.

Yeah, the body is clearly Nelo Angelo but the face isn't some trivial part, like the horns or boots, that can be dismissed as 'well, it's small, so who cares?'

How though?
With the emphasis on the mouth by contrasting color. They both have mouths with bright colors that clash with their dark faces.

Vergil95

What part of the body is the single biggest identifier of any living being who can't do so by sniffing the other's butt? It's not the torso, even if it has the largest percentage of real estate for the human body. The face is the most important identifier for anthropomorphic creatures and the fact that it's a very small part of the human body doesn't diminish it importance. Put the face on something else and it's not the face that becomes the rest of the thing. It's why we get photos of character's faces and not other random parts that might be a bigger percentage.

Yeah, the body is clearly Nelo Angelo but the face isn't some trivial part, like the horns or boots, that can be dismissed as 'well, it's small, so who cares?'

With the emphasis on the mouth by contrasting color. They both have mouths with bright colors that clash with their dark faces.
In the case of nelo Angelo is not the face but his body that make the most part of his design

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!

Dude, you're stretching it. The Elite Stygians and their weaker versions are more like the Marionettes or Scarecrows than anything related to the Angelos.

Off topic, I never liked the design of the Stygians in general, because they look like they popped out of Marilyn Manson (nothing against him) video.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@berto
In the case of nelo Angelo is not the face but his body that make the most part of his design

Dude, you're stretching it.

These quotes represent my thoughts exactly.

And besides, Proto Angelo's face is not even the most relevant part of his design, it's barely visible under the Nero Angelo looking horns and you're overestimating the face as the most identifying factor of a design. When the Proto Angelo was first shown in promotional material, some fans went nuts claiming that Nero Angelo was back and stuff, because his body, armor and sword look so similar.
No one paid attention to the face, no one thought of Stygians or Dreamrunners. Not a single soul. Even now, three months after, when pretty much everyone took some time to go look at his model in detail in the Gallery, everyone associates him to Nero Angelo and nothing else. Because the face is yes, a relatively insignificant detail (which is not even THAT different from Nero Angelo's anyway, at all) when compared to the rest of the design in this particular case, which is what strikes the eye the most, by far.

Not to mention that your criteria according to which Proto Angelo looks like Elite Stygian is way too general to claim they look alike, I think that much is obvious. It's like saying that Geralt of Rivia and Dante himself look alike because the "emphasis" in their appearance is on their white hair. Doesn't work that way.
But maybe I understood wrong and you meant to say their faces look alike, rather then their design as a whole (which I'd heavily disagree with as well but at least I could see your point a bit more). It's the only explanation that I can think of right now that'd make sense. Otherwise it's definitely a stretch.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I thought it would be cool if the Angelos were made out of Vergil's memories like Gryphon and the others. That reveal was pretty weak/random/poorly handled to me so having some of the other enemies being Vergil's memories made real would help set that up/explore it.

Top Bottom