• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

One Thing That Bugs Me When You Max Out Your Characters

Goldsickle

In games where you can upgrade your character's abilities via points, orbs, gems, gel or experience points, it kinda bugs me when your character has fully upgraded all his abilities and suddenly, all those upgrade points become useless.

Does this bug anyone else?

Dark Drakan

Admin
In games where you can upgrade your character's abilities via points, orbs, gems, gel or experience points, it kinda bugs me when your character has fully upgraded all his abilities and suddenly, all those upgrade points become useless.

Yeah, should be able to exchange them in game for items or another currently or something.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Hmm, not really, no. Once my char is maxed out I just focus on having fun with all the abilities I have, I don't think about points/orbs/whatever currency anymore.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Yes, it does. Part of the fun for me is to upgrade the character. It's why I grind, why I do side missions, kill random enemies on the world, look for parts. Once that's done doing it just for the sake of it loses its appeal. I no longer care to try to take on pain in the ass opponents.

That's not the case with all games, just the ones where it's a huge focus of the game. Once that's done I get this feeling of, well, now, who cares? Happens mostly with open world games, like Horizon and Tomb Raider, but I also got that with DmC.

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Me and my family kind of enter this situation with each Lego game, where after a while all of the gold and silver studs which you use to buy characters become completely superfluous after you have purchased all of them. In the case of Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2, I believe the average character costs around 250,000 studs, which can take a fair amount of grinding to accumulate, but 'red brick' modifiers are not all that difficult to unlock and gaining stud multipliers means that you'll end up in the billions after a few more hours of play.

I'll take a screenshot next time we're in-game, but people who play the Lego games will probably know what I'm talking about. 'Kids game' or not, it's a shame that the studs have no purpose beyond a certain point, although it can still in some way be satisfying knowing that you are getting more and more... Lego rich?

Goldsickle

I dunno why it bothers me.
Maybe it's an "OCD" thing.

I like how in some games, there are still some uses for the "upgrade points", like how you can still use souls in Onimusha: Warlords to upgrade the arrows, bullets and herbs into stronger versions (strangely, you can't do so in subsequent games).

I remember how after maxing out Sebastian in The Evil Within 2, the nurse says "now you don't have to bother collecting Green Gel anymore".
It actually kinda takes away the fun... part of the reason I take risks and do stuff like kill optional bosses is to get extra Green Gel.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Honestly, it sometimes annoys me, too. Like Drakan said, I kinda wish we could exchange it for something else. Or...y'know...they'd just stop giving us upgrade stuff (like how the Batman Arkham games no longer really draw XP gains to your attention after you're maxed out). It mainly bothers me in games where there's a low level cap, like Dragon Age--you end up maxed out long before you've completed all the side quests and collectables, so there's no point in really doing them other than to be a completionist (it also bugs me they do that and don't let you get all the skill upgrades, too, but that's another rant for another time). Anywho, yeah. It kinda bugs me.

Raziel Lewach

I always had an idea about exponencial growth, and I remembered right now. It would solve this mantaining the essence.

Let's say there are 10 levels (think about levels, number of upgrades, total cost of them, etc). So you need...

- 10 exp to lvl2.
- 20 exp to lvl3.
- 30 exp to lvl4.
- 50 exp to lvl5.
- 80 exp to lvl6.
(Fibonacci, where?)
- 300 exp to lvl7.
- 1.000 exp to lvl8.
- 10.000 exp to lvl9.
- 9.999.999 exp to lvl10.

Voilá! You'll groth as usual. When you reach lvl6, you are kinda strong. Then, you need an extra effort to get lvl7. Then you see lvl8. Damn, hell, a bit of hard now. Still affordable. Alright, I'm lvl8. EIGHT FROM TEN, its 80%. I'm super strong... but hey, I can reach 9. DAMN HELL, TEN TIMES MORE. Ufff... that's difficult, but... hey, I think i can get to it with effort and time. HELL YEAH, I'm 9... ow ****. OW DAMN ****. THIS MUST BE A FCKNG JOKE. But hey. I'm level 9. I'm at 90% of my power. That's a lot. I'm SUPER STRONG. I can get almost everything, try almost everything, this is so much fun, I feel my effort has been rewarded. I could quit right now and be satisfied but... WAIT... If I continue playing for A LOT of time, I'll get exp to get to 10 someday... and I won't feel those extra points wasted, just an step towards perfection someday.

That's what I think. That was the idea some day I get to, and I would use in my hypothetical game

Goldsickle

In Devil May Cry 4, even if you maxed out your characters, earning Stylish Points is still a must to get S or SSS rank.

Top Bottom