• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

One Thing That Bugs Me When You Max Out Your Characters

Thread starter #1

Goldsickle

In games where you can upgrade your character's abilities via points, orbs, gems, gel or experience points, it kinda bugs me when your character has fully upgraded all his abilities and suddenly, all those upgrade points become useless.

Does this bug anyone else?

Dark Drakan

Dark Lord Of The Forums
Staff member
Twitter
AndyMighalls
In games where you can upgrade your character's abilities via points, orbs, gems, gel or experience points, it kinda bugs me when your character has fully upgraded all his abilities and suddenly, all those upgrade points become useless.

Yeah, should be able to exchange them in game for items or another currently or something.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Gold Supporter
Hmm, not really, no. Once my char is maxed out I just focus on having fun with all the abilities I have, I don't think about points/orbs/whatever currency anymore.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Staff member
Yes, it does. Part of the fun for me is to upgrade the character. It's why I grind, why I do side missions, kill random enemies on the world, look for parts. Once that's done doing it just for the sake of it loses its appeal. I no longer care to try to take on pain in the ass opponents.

That's not the case with all games, just the ones where it's a huge focus of the game. Once that's done I get this feeling of, well, now, who cares? Happens mostly with open world games, like Horizon and Tomb Raider, but I also got that with DmC.

Steve

Cheeky Wee McGregor
Staff member
Twitter
yeahSP
Me and my family kind of enter this situation with each Lego game, where after a while all of the gold and silver studs which you use to buy characters become completely superfluous after you have purchased all of them. In the case of Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2, I believe the average character costs around 250,000 studs, which can take a fair amount of grinding to accumulate, but 'red brick' modifiers are not all that difficult to unlock and gaining stud multipliers means that you'll end up in the billions after a few more hours of play.

I'll take a screenshot next time we're in-game, but people who play the Lego games will probably know what I'm talking about. 'Kids game' or not, it's a shame that the studs have no purpose beyond a certain point, although it can still in some way be satisfying knowing that you are getting more and more... Lego rich?

Thread starter #6

Goldsickle

I dunno why it bothers me.
Maybe it's an "OCD" thing.

I like how in some games, there are still some uses for the "upgrade points", like how you can still use souls in Onimusha: Warlords to upgrade the arrows, bullets and herbs into stronger versions (strangely, you can't do so in subsequent games).

I remember how after maxing out Sebastian in The Evil Within 2, the nurse says "now you don't have to bother collecting Green Gel anymore".
It actually kinda takes away the fun... part of the reason I take risks and do stuff like kill optional bosses is to get extra Green Gel.