• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New Xbox 360 controller

wallE156

The Devil's Advocate
Ok...I'm assuming everyone has heard about the new 360 controller with the "improved" d-pad. If not go here for more info.

Anyways on to my point. I would just like to hear a testimony from someone who has actually used the controller with a fighting game (SSFIV, MvC 2, etc.). I'd like to know if it actually "improves" the d-pad like Mr. Nelson claims. You might say I'm a big fighting game aficionado, I love fighting games. And up until now I've been buying ALL of my fighting games on the PS3 (cept for DOA 4 of course) cause the 360's d-pad is complete garbage. But I have a dilemma in that most if not all of my friends have 360's and not PS3's. So I'd just like to know for future purchases if this controller actually improves anything, because honestly, by looking at it it still looks like it will have the exact same problems. I appreciate any and all feedback! ^_^ Thanks!!

Dark Drakan

Admin
Some friends have said the pop out D-pad is much better than the usual one. Personally i rarely ever use D-pads over the analog sticks and the D-pad is the only thing that could be improved about the 360 pad but ive also never had an issue with it. That controller came out some time ago so i bet there are some reviews out there.

wallE156

The Devil's Advocate
Yeah I've read some but they didn't really help me any. And I guess I should rephrase the question. What I really wanna know is if it's better than the PS3's d-pad, cause if not I'll just stick to the PS3. I can't play fighting games with the analogs very well, double tapping to dash becomes a problem for me.

Dark Drakan

Admin
wallE156;290997 said:
Yeah I've read some but they didn't really help me any.

Is there no game stores that have demo consoles on display that have them as the controller in store?

Dark Drakan

Admin
wallE156;290999 said:
Not where I live lol

Sell your current controller and buy the new one. Its essentially the same controller with some minor improvements so it cant be worse. :lol:

VeNGeD

Cut 'Em Up!
Premium
I doubt I'll be picking one of these up, I just bought two of these(only about £15-£20). Well worth it too considering how superior the d-pad is in comparison to the regular 360 controllers, button layout is a lot more suitable for fighting games as well. These are good if you casually play fighting games like myself, or only if someone is over. I suppose if you want to play the likes of Street Fighter seriously you're better off with the arcade sticks. Which I might add are considerably more expensive.

Mad-Catz-Street-Fighter-4-FightPad-Akuma-Xbox-360.jpg

Whenever I'm playing Street Fighter or BlazBlue, I'll just use those. I'm assuming this new controller will be a bit more expensive too so I'll pass on this one.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
I have tried one few days ago, and here is my impression:

The d-pad for the new Xbox 360 controller is better than the previous Xbox 360 controller's d-pad, because it is more slightly more responsive and easier to touch and feel.

The only complaint I have is the (A)(B)(X)(Y) buttons' colours are not the same as the old one, and it is slightly more expensive. I suggest that you trade in the old one for the this one in case you want the new controller.

wallE156

The Devil's Advocate
Dark Drakan;291000 said:
Sell your current controller and buy the new one. Its essentially the same controller with some minor improvements so it cant be worse. :lol:
very true, point taken lol ^_^ I don't need 2 Reach controllers anyway. Oh, and VeNGeD. I've purchased an arcade stick and I tried and tried and tried some more to use it effectively but I just can't lol Not really surprising though considering I grew up playing Street Fighter 2 Turbo on the SNES, for all intents and purposes there are NO arcades where I live. There are a few machines in skate rinks here and there but they are usually broken. So I never really grew accustomed to the stick, sadly.

aka958

Don't trust people
The D-pad... I had enormous problems with it and style changing in DMC4. Stupid thing switched to different styles at times and sometimes didn't respond.

Although the PS3's arrows are more responsive they feel even worse to me. Making my switching harder due to their positioning and damn they just go havoc on the switching. >_< But that's a bit off topic. Sorry.

One thing about the new controller though, what happened to the colors? With it's black/grey/white buttons it just seems harder to see the difference between the colors of the buttons in game and it makes the whole controller look dull in my opinion.

wallE156

The Devil's Advocate
aka958;291008 said:
The D-pad... I had enormous problems with it and style changing in DMC4. Stupid thing switched to different styles at times and sometimes didn't respond.

Although the PS3's arrows are more responsive they feel even worse to me. Making my switching harder due to their positioning and damn they just go havoc on the switching. >_< But that's a bit off topic. Sorry.

One thing about the new controller though, what happened to the colors? With it's black/grey/white buttons it just seems harder to see the difference between the colors of the buttons in game and it makes the whole controller look dull in my opinion.
I agree about that colors lol. Don't worry it's not off topic ^_^ I personally LOVE the PS3's d-pad. I love how the buttons aren't connected, it's actually really weird to hear that you had those problems in DMC4 to me :/ I sometimes forget where styles are positioned but that's about it.

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
I hate the D-pad on those Mad Catz Fightpads. Too damn big so I use PS3 controller. However since you on 360, your best bet is to get a fightpad cause the new 360 D-pad, even though its alot better...STILL isnt good enough imo for fighters.

I've been trying to learn an arcade stick lately. I need to switch my joystick with top grade Sanwa parts so I've been holding off using it for now.

Off topic: If anyone up for some SSF4, hit me up on the PSN. PSN is the same as my username.

wallE156

The Devil's Advocate
Esura;291015 said:
I hate the D-pad on those Mad Catz Fightpads. Too damn big so I use PS3 controller. However since you on 360, your best bet is to get a fightpad cause the new 360 D-pad, even though its alot better...STILL isnt good enough imo for fighters.

I've been trying to learn an arcade stick lately. I need to switch my joystick with top grade Sanwa parts so I've been holding off using it for now.

Off topic: If anyone up for some SSF4, hit me up on the PSN. PSN is the same as my username.
Yeah I thought about building my own arcade stick with Sanwa parts too, but that's too rich for my blood lol. And I agree with you on the Mad Catz controllers. They have Sega Genesis d-pads which I don't care for too much either. Sony and Nintendo are pretty much the only companies who make d-pads I like. And the new 360 d-pad (kind of) resembles a Nintendo d-pad after it's turned, which explains this thread lol

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
wallE156;291018 said:
Yeah I thought about building my own arcade stick with Sanwa parts too, but that's too rich for my blood lol. And I agree with you on the Mad Catz controllers. They have Sega Genesis d-pads which I don't care for too much either. Sony and Nintendo are pretty much the only companies who make d-pads I like. And the new 360 d-pad (kind of) resembles a Nintendo d-pad after it's turned, which explains this thread lol

Not if you get a cheap stick like Mad Catz Street Fighter IV Fightstick, who has a varying price between 30-50 bucks. Better than 120 for a TE stick huh? Sanwa stick parts go for like, 30 bucks depending on where you get it from. SRK got tutorials on how to install them.

And the new 360 d-pad resembles a Nintendo d-pad? I never looked at it that closely.

wallE156

The Devil's Advocate
Esura;291028 said:
Not if you get a cheap stick like Mad Catz Street Fighter IV Fightstick, who has a varying price between 30-50 bucks. Better than 120 for a TE stick huh? Sanwa stick parts go for like, 30 bucks depending on where you get it from. SRK got tutorials on how to install them.

And the new 360 d-pad resembles a Nintendo d-pad? I never looked at it that closely.
You kinda have to stretch your imagination to see the resemblance, and it's only after you "transform" it. And that's just my opinion :p lol yeah I have the stick that came with the limited edition Tekken 6 box. I just couldn't get used to it.

Dark Drakan

Admin
aka958;291008 said:
ntroller though, what happened to the colors? With it's black/grey/white buttons it just seems harder to see the difference between the colors of the buttons in game and it makes the whole controller look dull in my opinion.

Thats the idea because your meant to memorise the combos by the letters such as ABXY buttons and not the colours themselves.

wallE156;291011 said:
I love how the buttons aren't connected,

Only issue with that is when a combo in a game requires a diagonal movement it can be really temperamental when it registers it.

wallE156

The Devil's Advocate
@ DD you know I've heard a lot of people say that about PS controllers but I've never really had a problem... <_< idk lol

Dark Drakan

Admin
wallE156;291117 said:
@ DD you know I've heard a lot of people say that about PS controllers but I've never really had a problem... <_< idk lol

I didnt notice it that much until i played football games (until analog controllers came out) and then games that had a lot of combos which used them. Then it was a real annoyance once id witnessed it with PS1, PS2 and PS3. Developers try to avoid those type of combos now for the most part but they still exist and same issue has been happening for 16 years. Would notice it more if most games didnt use analog.

wallE156

The Devil's Advocate
Well pretty much the only games I use the d-pad on nowadays are fighting games, and like I said I haven't really had that problem. And the only football game I ever really played for more than one sitting was Tecmo Bowl on the NES lol which doesn't even apply

Dark Drakan

Admin
wallE156;291119 said:
Well pretty much the only games I use the d-pad on nowadays are fighting games, and like I said I haven't really had that problem. And the only football game I ever really played for more than one sitting was Tecmo Bowl on the NES lol which doesn't even apply

Just anything that requires diagonal movement really.

Top Bottom