• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New Vergil or Devil May Cry 3 Vergil?

Blue_Rose

One way to get yourself shot
DMC3 Vergil all the way. DmC Vergil threw away any good qualities classic Vergil had. He uses guns now and he shoots Lilith's child and then pauses so she could let it sink in and then shoots her. So forget honor for that guy. Classic Vergil was much more respectable. The guy didn't grow up with rich parents so he was hardened. He wanted more power not for selfish reasons, but to protect what he loved and himself. He felt damaged when Eva was killed and thought it was his fault. "Might controls everything, and without it you cannot protect anything, let alone yourself." And this Vergil had honor! Even as Mundus's knight.

Although I really like DmC Vergil's attire.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
That's it, but classic Vergil despised them.

And you think new Vergil didn't? Remember the "we'll do it your way brother" line? That had relevance to his gun using. Plus he didn't care about guns enough to put it back in his car instead of throwing it away.

Blue_Rose

And you think new Vergil didn't? Remember the "we'll do it your way brother" line? That had relevance to his gun using. Plus he didn't care about guns enough to put it back in his car instead of throwing it away.
Touché, that's a good point. And I don't know if he could've used summoned swords or Yamato's ranged powers in the Human World despite it appearing, so I guess you have a point.

EDIT: Was Revenant his property, though?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
EDIT: Was Revenant his property, though?
I doubt it. Probably stole it off one of the guards. It could've been like Kablooy where it looks a certain way in the real world but is something else in Limbo.

Plus if he really was using guns, he would've brought some while going into Mundus's base.

Blue_Rose

I doubt it. Probably stole it off one of the guards. It could've been like Kablooy where it looks a certain way in the real world but is something else in Limbo.

Plus if he really was using guns, he would've brought some while going into Mundus's base.
Well about Mundus's base, he unsheathed Yamato so that would've been a primary weapon since he needed to be stealthy. If a demon heard a gunshot from him, everything would probably be Limbo-fied for him.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Sorry, I have a few points of contention, just out of everything I know and my distinct inability to keep my mouth shut.

So forget honor for that guy. Classic Vergil was much more respectable.

Vergil was never honorable either. He killed people at the drop of the hat when they outlived their usefulness to him, or if they served his agenda. Remember that he killed a defenseless Arkham, while stating "you're no longer useful", and would have cleaved Lady in two had Dante not jumped in. Vergil's "honor" is headcanon for the most part, and what respect there is was simply to fair, unadulterated fights. That's why he doesn't like guns - there's not much skill involved, and it puts what equates to a machine doing all the work betwixt the opponents.

But hey, even in the end he used Ebony, because it served a purpose for him - defeating Arkham.

DmC Vergil even shows hints of this when be begrudgingly calls Kat "useful" after finally coming clean about what he thinks about humans. As long as it's useful to Vergil (either of them), fine.

The guy didn't grow up with rich parents so he was hardened. He wanted more power not for selfish reasons, but to protect what he loved and himself. He felt damaged when Eva was killed and thought it was his fault.

There's unfortunately no real canonical evidence to support what Vergil's motivations are :x He almost never speaks of his mother, nor her death, and unfortunately like everyone else, goes on and on about Sparda. Vergil seems to hate his human side so much, he could be doing it out of spite for how weak his mother was, instead of out of love for being unable to protect her, in a sort of "Nuh-uh, not gonna happen to me" sorta way. The possibilities are nigh endless because we were given so little actual information with which to draw conclusions from.

It's a moot point :S

"Might controls everything, and without it you cannot protect anything, let alone yourself."

And this was said to Dante, the guy who established a business to protect people. It's not quite indicative of something that Vergil applies to himself, it's like he's trying to teach his brother the virtues of power based on what Dante believes in (protecting people).

Everything in DMC3 paints Vergil as a guy who doesn't care about anything or anyone, but getting more power, what I like to call "f#ck everyone, get power". For what reason, and to what ends, no one rightly knows. If you're in his way, you're in trouble.

And this Vergil had honor! Even as Mundus's knight.

This sorta goes back to Vergil's love of a fair fight, not exactly honor or respect for the individual he's fighting. He cares about strength, and only a fair fight can offer true tests of it.

-------------------​

A lot of it is headcanon, but I'm not at all saying that headcanon is bad. It's just not fact.

Although I really like DmC Vergil's attire.

Dat trilby :tongue: Nah, that's actually not my favorite part of his design, it's really dat coat with the South American skull design. I have a thing for skull designs :D

Blue_Rose

I love the coat too. And the fedora makes it much cooler, not to mention Yamato as a walking cane.:cool:

There's unfortunately no real canonical evidence to support what Vergil's motivations are :x He almost never speaks of his mother, nor her death, and unfortunately like everyone else, goes on and on about Sparda. Vergil seems to hate his human side so much, he could be doing it out of spite for how weak his mother was, instead of out of love for being unable to protect her, in a sort of "Nuh-uh, not gonna happen to me" sorta way. The possibilities are nigh endless because we were given so little actual information with which to draw conclusions from.

It's a moot point :S

And this was said to Dante, the guy who established a business to protect people. It's not quite indicative of something that Vergil applies to himself, it's like he's trying to teach his brother the virtues of power based on what Dante believes in (protecting people).

But before falling into hell, he reveals he does care about his family because he tells him to run and save himself.​

Last edited:

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I like different aspects from both.

DMC3 because he's clearly in opposition from the beginning, and he's ruthless with getting what he wants. There's no mistaking that he's the bad guy, and a pretty good one too. The way he fights is pretty stylish and he has this amost arrogance about him.
Sure, he's not too deep, but he doesn't need to be. There's just enough about him for gamers to read between the lines and draw their own conclusions about him. Plus, Vergil tried to kill Arkham. I never liked him.:tongue:
I just wish we knew what was going on in his head, what really drove him to want power at such a cost. I think that's the only thing DMC3 Vergil needed.

With DmC Vergil, I like that they tried to set him up as this calm and benevolent freedom fighter. Then you get under the facade of his character and find out he's messed up and just as ruthless. He's twisted and scary in a way because he is able to keep his calmness until the end, and then he snaps in this mixture of genuine betrayal and anger over what he sees as his closest family going against him.
I liked how they tried to give Vergil some kind of brotherly interaction with Dante wich made the fallout at the end more meaningful. So, for me, that's better than DMC3 where it was just Vergil fighting Dante from the beginning.
Then there's the Vergil DLC which shows just how messed up he is inside, how insecure he is and how he turns his back so easily on his mother just to be more powerful.

Blue_Rose

Well I wouldn't called him "messed up", that's what Donte is. I think sinister would be the right word.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
For me, DMC3 Vergil all the way. He proved himself to be the epitome of badass in his first couple appearances. New Vergil, due to his softie upbringing by rich people, didn't have the same amazing flair as DMC3 Vergil did. Sure, DMC3 Vergil lack a good back story. But it is very effective IMO cause he is one of the main antagonists. A villain shrouded in mystery that gives little hints at his past is much better than a "wrong thing for the right reason" type character like New Vergil. Also, for me, the DT's in DmC are silly looking so DMC3 Vergil hs that as well
Am I the ONLY one who checks the date of the thread?

Top Bottom