• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

new theories about Nero

Cranberry

Maker of cookies
Um...Maybe this was said before but:

Sanctus: The power of Sparda… Why won’t you give me strength? Am I not worthy!?
Nero: Never could take those legends too literally. But I do know that Sparda had a heart. A heart that could love another person, a human. And that is what you lack.

How the heck did Nero know about this? Could he be another Sparda's son? Maybe Sanctus bored them to death telling the complete story over and over again? Twisted plotholes -.-''

My guess would be because of the whole worshiping Sparda as religion thing, maybe they mentioned Eva, without mentioning her name. We don't really know all of what the people on Fortuna know about Sparda other than he was a demon that saved the world. With that whole love thing, I don't think he would have cheated on Eva, and even if Sparda did have children with another woman before, Dante and Vergil would probably have heard about them already. Also, to question that whole 'maybe he had children with the woman he sacrificed', you answered your own question. He sacrificed her. Don't think he would make a baby with her, then sacrifice her. Just my thought though, unless someone could prove me wrong, and as for Lady having 'the same blood as the sacrificed woman', doesn't mean she couldn't be a distant cousin. I dunno, thoughts anyone.

Last edited:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
In regards to what raxii said:

I'm pretty sure Nero knew that because Fortuna worshipped Sparda; they knew of the sons of Sparda (they knew about Dante, so they probably knew about Vergil, as well) so they knew Sparda had settled down with a human woman. Whether they knew Eva by name, no idea.

Beyond that, I think that's the only reason Nero knew that; the lore had been shoved down their throats. You can see that much, based on how intolerant he is during the Festival of the Sword before Dante crashes through the ceiling. :p

Cranberry

Maker of cookies
In regards to what raxii said:

I'm pretty sure Nero knew that because Fortuna worshipped Sparda; they knew of the sons of Sparda (they knew about Dante, so they probably knew about Vergil, as well) so they knew Sparda had settled down with a human woman. Whether they knew Eva by name, no idea.

yeah the only thing I wonder about that is Nero seems baffled when Agnus said Dante's name. I wonder if it is because he never knew he existed, like Sanctus kept the whole Sparda having twins sons hush hush; which I would imagine he might have had to if Vergil just popped up, people would lose their minds, and start bowing before him. Or maybe Nero is surprised, like "no way, Dante exists!?" kind of surprise?

Picard

Starfleet Demon
Ah good point, I never considered the whole immortality vs mortality thing. That would make a bit more sense. Then the only thing I would question about that theory still is I just don't think Vergil is evil enough to think out a plan like that. I'm having a hard time forming my thoughts right now lol I am craving pretzels and it's all I can think about, but I am deciding whether or not it is worth it to get up. Lol so I'm sorry for my inability to focus but I will edit it later.

Being evil doesn't have anything to do with it, during Middle Ages it was a standard mindset so you can hardly call having a kid to carry on family's legacy an "evil plan". But he certainly is (from what I know about him) pragmatic, and he is quote concerned with the family legacy (the entire reason why such things came to be):

Vergil: Why do you refuse to gain power? The power of our father Sparda?
Dante: Father? I don't have a father. I just don't like you, that's all.

Nor do I, but if that is was Capcom decides to do, it would be interesting to see how Capcom would rework that whole "second chances" thing in a non-traditional way (the traditional, and more obvious way of letting things go for Nero.) Oh, I just thought of another question, my boyfriend and I had this debate the other night about whether or not Vergil would know he has a son, if the events were that he fell in love with someone, and whether or not he would have known Nero was alive. I suppose...this question may only be relevant with my theory and hard to answer...maybe I dunno...pretzels:inlove:

Having sex doesn't automatically mean pregnancy, so it depends on wether he sticked around for a long enough time to notice.

yeah the only thing I wonder about that is Nero seems baffled when Agnus said Dante's name. I wonder if it is because he never knew he existed, like Sanctus kept the whole Sparda having twins sons hush hush; which I would imagine he might have had to if Vergil just popped up, people would lose their minds, and start bowing before him. Or maybe Nero is surprised, like "no way, Dante exists!?" kind of surprise?

I'd say that he was surprised that Agnus knew Dante's name at all. I don't think Nero even knew who Dante is actually, at least at first; Credo did know it, but it is entirely possible he never told it to Nero.

Cranberry

Maker of cookies
Being evil doesn't have anything to do with it, during Middle Ages it was a standard mindset so you can hardly call having a kid to carry on family's legacy an "evil plan". But he certainly is (from what I know about him) pragmatic, and he is quote concerned with the family legacy (the entire reason why such things came to be

I can see where you are coming from with the whole Middle Ages thing, but I don't see Vergil being so devoted to the olden days that he would carry on this sort of behavior. But definitely looking at it from that point of view does make it seem less...odd for Vergil to do. I still just feel like it's too antiquated for Vergil to think like some king from the middle ages and have a child simply to carry on the bloodline, and honestly, a little cold. Yeah, Vergil has done some not so good things, like kill people...when he resurrected Teme-ni-Gru...whoopsie, Vergil. But...I suppose I mean that there is a lack of emotional development for Vergil if that was his plan for Nero. Unless, he suddenly decides to stop being a deadbeat dad stuck in the dark times.

I wonder though,and it's just a thought. I wonder how much Vergil really cares about whether not he is a son of Sparda, or he just likes being powerful. The only reason I wonder is I would think if he loved being a son of Sparda so much, why he wouldn't try to follow in his father's footsteps, instead of trying to muck things up for humans. Unless he is purposefully mucking things up so he can pop in and look like the hero.

And that's true, sexy time doesn't always make the babies, so I suppose it is possible he doesn't know.

I'd say that he was surprised that Agnus knew Dante's name at all. I don't think Nero even knew who Dante is actually, at least at first; Credo did know it, but it is entirely possible he never told it to Nero.

So you are saying you don't think Sanctus ever preached about the existence of Dante and Vergil

Last edited:

Picard

Starfleet Demon
I can see where you are coming from with the whole Middle Ages thing, but I don't see Vergil being so devoted to the olden days that he would carry on this sort of behavior. But definitely looking at it from that point of view does make it seem less...odd for Vergil to do. I still just feel like it's too antiquated for Vergil to think like some king from the middle ages and have a child simply to carry on the bloodline, and honestly, a little cold. Yeah, Vergil has done some not so good things, like kill people...when he resurrected Teme-ni-Gru...whoopsie, Vergil. But...I suppose I mean that there is a lack of emotional development for Vergil if that was his plan for Nero. Unless, he suddenly decides to stop being a deadbeat dad stuck in the dark times.

It doesn't have to do with devotion to ye olde days, but with mindset. What I am getting at is that even if Vergil is a power-obsessed maniac, it is not impossible for him to have kids.

I wonder though,and it's just a thought. I wonder how much Vergil really cares about whether not he is a son of Sparda, or he just likes being powerful. The only reason I wonder is I would think if he loved being a son of Sparda so much, why he wouldn't try to follow in his father's footsteps, instead of trying to muck things up for humans. Unless he is purposefully mucking things up so he can pop in and look like the hero.

And that's true, sexy time doesn't always make the babies, so I suppose it is possible he doesn't know.

I don't think it really matters wether he loves being a son of Sparda, he probably sees it his duty to continue the bloodline.

So you are saying you don't think Sanctus ever preached about the existence of Dante and Vergil

Possible.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium

I'm not entirely sure; I think Nero knew that Sparda had sons, but he may not have known them by name or had perhaps forgotten; his lack of interest in the lore might be the culprit here, but it also could have been surprise that Dante actually existed-based on him saying to Sanctus later on that "You could never take the legends too literally".

Chances are, he was just surprised to find out the legends held true, in this case. Fortuna is on an Island, after all, so as well-renowned as Dante is for being a Devil Hunter, it may have been the kind of news Nero wasn't privy to. I mean, look at how much information was hidden from him: The very people he worked with, the very man he viewed as an elder brother-they all kept secrets from him in the pursuit of power.

Cranberry

Maker of cookies
I'm glad I got to have this discussion with you, Picard :). it helped me understand the details behind that theory better.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
well i know it was confirmed in the art book that vergil was his dad, but i think if anything it was vergils devil side giving into urges that made him have sex with a human woman. In fact he may have even raped a woman considering his feelings towards humans. Said woman may not have been able to cope with having a child from a guy who forced himself on her and gave him up for adoption or left him in fortuna and dissappeared making him look an orphan.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
^ Also a possibility, though it's hard to imagine him raping anyone. He has this whole code of honour thing going. Though I can see him giving into his urges to have sex with a willing woman, who just happened to get more than she bargained for. O_O Then proceeded to abandon Nero, as you said.

The possibilities are...well, not endless, but there are many. :p

Cranberry

Maker of cookies
^ Also a possibility, though it's hard to imagine him raping anyone. He has this whole code of honour thing going. Though I can see him giving into his urges to have sex with a willing woman, who just happened to get more than she bargained for. O_O Then proceeded to abandon Nero, as you said.

The possibilities are...well, not endless, but there are many. :p

Agreed, rape is a little...dark o_o

well i know it was confirmed in the art book that vergil was his dad

That's awesome! I need to get my hands on this artbook!

Cranberry

Maker of cookies
K I know this is waaaay off topic, and stupid, but I need to whine about it. I remembered today that someone I was once friends with went to a convention and met and talked with Rueben and before she left, she asked Rueben to record a message for me and he was gracious enough to comply and my friend recorded him in his best Dante voice saying, " [my name], I'm absolutely crazy about you!" And I have one of those weird, hard to pronounce names, and he got it right. Best gift ever. Well...I made the mistake of never getting a copy of that message and my friend and I gradually stopped talking over the years -_-. Thankfully our friendship didn't end sour, we just drifted apart and two things I regret is losing her as a friend...and that message. Lesson learned. So sad. lol thanks for letting me whine about that.

DownfallBlight

You most likey wont like me.
I can honestly say, no one cares if you were the first to post a fail safe theory Frostmourne.
They wern't even discussing that. Good job for budging in a convo with a theory that most people don't agree with and thinking you're a god.

Top Bottom