• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

new theories about Nero

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
i just came up with this one. a few people on this forum (me included) have suggested the idea that Sparda had a child with another human before Eva and that Nero is a descendant of that child. so far no one has tried to guess who that person might be (or at least i haven't read any theories about it on this forum), but i think i know who it would be. Eva isn't the first mortal woman involved in the legend of Sparda. the priestess that Sparda sacrificed to seal the Temen-ni-gru is. my theory is that the priestess had at least two children. one with another human (Lady's ancestor) and another with the Legendary Dark Knight Sparda (Nero's ancestor) not only would it explain Nero but it would also add to Sparda's backstory. the idea of Sparda sacrificing a random human is nowhere near as good a story as Sparda sacrificing someone he loved to save the world.

of course it wouldn't explain Nero's arm or his apparent direct connection with Vergil and/or Yamato. but i can't think of any theory that explains the arm and Sparda's blood. and the only theory that explains having Sparda's blood and a direct connection to Vergil is the "Nero is Vergil's son" theory which makes no sense. so the arm and the connection to Vergil would have to be explained by some other event (the "Vergil's soul is in Nero's arm" theory would would explain both and it wouldn't take that much effort to explain how that happened)

is this a good theory? and does anybody else have any theories about Nero that haven't been suggested a thousand times ( detailed versions of theories that have only been given a vague explanation before count as new theories )

It's as good a theory as any. I never thought about Sparda having been with someone before Eva, but that actually does make sense. He rebelled against Mundus 2,000 years ago, but he didn't meet Eva then, and his children are certainly not hundreds of years old.

So in essence, Nero could be a grandchild (well, the whole Vergil or Dante being his father theory would do that, too, but you know what I mean), or a great grandchild; Sparda and priestess have a baby, and said baby grows up to conceive Nero, or to have a child who will later conceive Nero...with who, it doesn't really matter, since we're just trying to figure out his connection with Sparda.

As to Yamato; though many take the connection between him and Yamato as having something to do with Vergil, what many forget is this-Yamato was Sparda's blade before it was ever Vergil's. So, while I'm not against the whole "Vergil or Dante is his father" thing, I don't see his affinity with Yamato as having to do with only Vergil.

Anyway, your theory is certainly interesting. I have no fixed opinion on his origins-other than him being of the Sparda legacy, one way or another.

As much as I curse Capcom for not giving us something solid (anything "solid" they've given has been retracted, at some point), I also kind of enjoy tossing theories around. It gives any of us who are interested a reason to interact. So, silver lining. :)

Last edited:

Cranberry

Maker of cookies
I'm not trying to be a views whore, but I was curious if you had read my theory, I know it is long as heck, but I really am curious to see what people think.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I'm not trying to be a views whore, but I was curious if you had read my theory, I know it is long as heck, but I really am curious to see what people think.

Yup, just read it, actually. I'm not on board when it comes to all of the details, but in the event Vergil is Nero's father, I do believe he had to have wound up in Fortuna somehow, and the string of events you created to fill in Capcom's glaring plot holes is just as likely as any others.

Likewise, I believe Dante suspected a familial connection as well, but not knowing how, refrained from telling Nero. Some people assume he was an a$$hole for the test fights, the jib comments, etc. But as far as I'm concerned, Dante was curious, needed to test Nero in order to be sure, and in a more subtle regard, gave Nero the type of support he needed, without emasculating him in the process.

You really did put a great deal of thought into your theory. It would make an interesting fanfiction, to be sure, even if I don't see every facet of the events you described being the way it went. :)

Of course, given the fact that these are fictional characters, the only "actual" events are the ones that are proven canon, which unfortunately leaves us very little to work with.

In short, your theory is as sound as any other, and probably the most well thought out I've seen, yet.

Cranberry

Maker of cookies
thank you, i appreciate your feedback. lol i will type it up someday, fix some things. i can only hope capcom won't go totally off into left field with nero.

Cranberry

Maker of cookies
thank you, i appreciate your feedback. lol i will type it up someday, fix some things. i can only hope capcom won't go totally off into left field with nero.

As far as people calling Dante a jerk, is a little silly. Dante has always been brash and he didn't dish out anymore than Nero could handle, he let Nero punch his face in for pete's sake. I can't see him ever letting anyone do that besides someone he suspected was family, and furthermore, a nephew. And testing him, not a bad idea considering all the altered demons Agnus was letting run lose, he had to be sure Nero wasn't an experiment too.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I don't have one set theory, that's the problem. ^^; The only one that remains the same is this-Nero is a descendant of Sparda.

I can see him being either Vergil or Dante's kid, but more the former than the latter (I imagine Dante would at least suspect Nero was his son if it were the latter, and thus, would have acted accordingly in DMC4).

I can see him being a younger son of Sparda, and I can even see merit in him being a lab experiment-though I don't feel strongly about this one, because I don't believe he would have developed the way he did with the white hair, his personality, or his specific powers, without already being of the Sparda lineage.

So, I shall delve into my theories in more detail (I have done this a lot...I'm sure some are sick of seeing it, by now). :laugh:

Theory 1: Vergil is Nero's father
I figure Vergil would have wound up with someone within the year leading up to his meeting with Dante in DMC3. Perhaps he loved this woman, or perhaps he was merely being pragmatic in his approach, and wished to pass on the Sparda bloodline, having already made plans to raise the Temen-Ni-Gru. In this case, he likely knew he wasn't coming back, or was at least making arrangements in the event of his demise. Whether for love or for power, he would have wanted to pass his genes on.

Theory 2: Dante is Nero's father
I'm not leaning toward this one as much; while the idea of him being his father isn't a bad one, it just doesn't seem as likely. The vibe I get from Dante toward Nero during the events of DMC4 range between an older brother messing with his younger one, or that of an uncle. But, for the sake of argument, let's say Dante is his father. It could happen any number of ways, with any number of women. Though we never really see Dante with other women besides Lady, Trish, or Lucia, we don't see him with them romantically (though we imagine it quite a bit, lol). Chances are, if he's Nero's father, Nero would have been conceived roughly around the same time as he would have been if Vergil had been his dad; while Dante was young, brash, and hot-blooded as all hell.

But like I said, I don't get the "daddy" vibe from him in regards to Nero. He feels like an older relation, a mentor taking an otherwise orphaned younger relation under his wing.

Theory 3: Sparda is Nero's father
With this theory, no, I don't believe Sparda would have been unfaithful to Eva. So, for this to work, it would have to be with a woman perhaps a decade or so after her death. Now, in order for this theory to work, Sparda can't have died when Eva and the twins suspected (around their eighth birthday). He likely would have been horribly wounded, and couldn't make his way back to them due to that, and because he'd have to lay low. Now, skip forward to the passage of time; he resurfaces, but in a "Witness Protection" kind of way; that is to say, no one knows he's back, or perhaps only a select few do. He learns of Eva's demise, and believes his sons to be dead as well. Again, for this to work, we'd have to assume that he's somehow not getting information on current events and thus, doesn't know about either of his sons exploits; perhaps he's even been mislead by someone into believing his sons died during their battle.
Anyway, after some time grieving, perhaps he finds comfort with another woman-for the night, or for the rest of her natural life (which may very well have been cut short; I'll get into that in a minute). Nero is conceived from this union; the mother dies, either in childbirth or by some radical movement because she had a devil's child, who knows what becomes of Sparda, and Nero is taken into Credo and Kyrie's household (assumedly by their parents, in which Credo takes over as head of the household when they pass, and continues to guide Nero).

I'm not thinking this theory is as likely either, based on Nero's devil trigger and his arm. Instead of being half devil like Vergil and Dante, he seems to be more part devil (1/4). So, if not the son of either twins, and not Sparda's, I would think a grandchild (along the OP's lines of thinking).

I won't even bother with Theory 4 (experiment), because while I may accept some of the elements of it, I would only be able to do so with him still being of the Sparda lineage in mind. His personality is too much like both Dante and Vergil, he wears both of their colours (combined making Sparda's colour), and Sanctus himself said that he carries the blood of Sparda. So no, as far as I'm concerned, he wasn't some outsider that just happened to gain powers similar to theirs, who just happened to gain Sparda's blood through experiments.

Furthermore, if the Order had been the ones responsible for experimenting on him, wouldn't they already have known about his powers, about why his arm transformed when attacked by a demon (just before the events in DMC4). Agnus was far too surprised by the news, and if Sanctus had known, he would have coerced Credo into giving him up long before then.

Well, those are some of my theories; I lean more toward him being Vergil's son, really, despite all the reasons people have to believe otherwise (some of which are just downright silly; I've said it a dozen times or more, and I noticed you did, too; just because Vergil doesn't seem like father material, doesn't mean he isn't capable of being one. There are tons of people who shouldn't be parents, and it didn't stop them from procreating).

Cranberry

Maker of cookies
Ii like the way you worded your theories :), it really leaves things open to interpretation. The only thing I question, and I have seen other people post it as well, is that Vergil would make a baby as a fail-safe. Though I have said myself that we don't know about Vergil's past, it just seems odd to me that he would take out the time to bang someone and produce a descendant with such diluted demonic powers as his successor. I also think he would want a hand in making sure that child carried on his ideals instead of just ditching him on someone and hoping he turned out like he did. But until Capcom tells us, we will be waiting.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Ii like the way you worded your theories :), it really leaves things open to interpretation. The only thing I question, and I have seen other people post it as well, is that Vergil would make a baby as a fail-safe. Though I have said myself that we don't know about Vergil's past, it just seems odd to me that he would take out the time to bang someone and produce a descendant with such diluted demonic powers as his successor. I also think he would want a hand in making sure that child carried on his ideals instead of just ditching him on someone and hoping he turned out like he did. But until Capcom tells us, we will be waiting.

True, he likely would factor the dilution of demonic blood into the equation, so one would assume he'd at the very least want a hand in molding his offspring. So perhaps, if he intentionally co-created Nero, his plans were way-laid by some event, or series of events. Perhaps as a last ditch effort, he worked out a plan that would leave Nero in the care of The Order, and thus, at least give him the training he would require.

It's also possible that Vergil didn't intend on having any children; it may have been a moment of humanly weakness on his part, or perhaps brought on by the consumption of alcohol (despite it not being considered entirely canon, we know from the Devil May Cry novel that "Gilver" couldn't hold his liquor very well).

But, you're right; I guess we'll never truly know. It's fun to speculate, since as I said in an earlier post, it opens up the line of communication between people here on the forum.

However, it would be nice if Capcom would eventually get around to giving us solid answers. ^^;

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
No offense you guys, but I'm pretty sure I came up with the "Nero is a "fail-safe" theory first. Or at least, I was the first person on this forum to do so.

I had said in a thread a good while back that Vergil choose a powerful woman (a sorceress or something like that) and created Nero in case he needed a vessel to possess in case he ever died. Which he did. And he also possessed him as a result.

Mission accomplished.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a jerk about this, I just wanted to let you guys know that I really did come up with that idea on this forum first... that idea was important to me.

Also, the "Dante is insane" idea is also mine. I said he threw confetti around and threw imaginary rock concerts (DMC3 Nevan) because he really did go crazy.

Last edited:

Cranberry

Maker of cookies
Hey I'm sorry, I don't think either of us were trying to take credit for anything, we were just discussing the idea. But I will be more aware next time :), seeing as I am new here I don't want to cause problems already. As for the Dante thing, I only mention him being a jerk in the context that people would think it was brutish of Dante to test Nero through battle, I didn't mention him going cray cray. However, I respect your opinion, ideas, etc. and apologize for any confusion.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
However, I respect your opinion, ideas, etc. and apologize for any confusion.
Nah, that's ok. I was trying to put it as delicately as I could, ya know?

It's just that I really wanted everyone to know that I came up with that idea first 'cause I was kinda/sorta planning on writing a synopsis on the entire series in a way that would make sense.

The story on the whole doesn't make that much sense unless Vergil uses Nero as a fail-safe and Dante is insane, in my humble opinion.

Also, if I ever wrote the synopsis, I didn't want anyone accusing me of taking their idea. That's another reason why I wanted to let everyone know that I came up with it first.

Ok, I'll also admit that it's because I'm an attention whore. I can't help it. XP

Cranberry

Maker of cookies
I respect those opinions wholeheartedly, though I will also respectfully counter and say that I think the confetti scene and guitar scene is just campy humor which is not surprising since the team that worked on DMC 4 also worked with Hideki Kamiya, the King of Campy Humor.

Last edited:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I respect those opinions wholeheartedly, though I will also respectfully counter and say that I think the confetti scene and guitar scene is just campy humor which is not surprising since the team that worked on DMC 4 also worked with Hideki Kamiya, the King of Campy Humor.

Agreed; I don't view Dante as insane because of those scenes (or at all, for that matter). Kamiya hasn't worked on a Devil May Cry game since 1, but I'm guessing you mean some of the same Capcom team that worked with him then worked on the following games?

Picard

Starfleet Demon
I don't think Dante's insane, but I'd say that there is a possibility he's got a PTSP and an excessively cartoonish approach is his way of dealing with it.

Cranberry

Maker of cookies
Correct.

Can I also debate the whole Nero is Vergil's fail-safe theory. We all know Vergil is cocky, just as cocky as Dante, he just doesn't talk as much. That being said, no matter what kind of chaos Vergil had planned, I think he honestly believed he was strong enough, and was going to get stronger, to do everything he had planned by his own hand. Those sons of Sparda are cocky mamajamas. I don't think Vergil would doubt himself enough to make a baby with someone in case he died. I also don't think Vergil is pure evil, just hurt and maybe a little confused. Without there having been some conflict in his past to make him hate humans, I don't think he would intentionally impregnant someone for the sake of carrying out his evil plans, unless someone could expand this theory further.

I do honestly believe that Vergil is Nero's son, but lately, for some reason, the idea of a reborn Vergil in the form of Nero gives Vergil a chance at redemption for the mistakes he made and anger he held onto, I dunno there is something romantic about that idea (and not the lovey-dovey kind of romantic, but the fanciful, emotionally appealing kind.)

Last edited:

Cranberry

Maker of cookies
I don't think Dante's insane, but I'd say that there is a possibility he's got a PTSP and an excessively cartoonish approach is his way of dealing with it.

I admit, when I first saw the trailers for DMC 4, I thought Dante went nuts, I know that was their intention too haha. But as the game went on, I also think Dante is getting to the point where he is ready to retire and leave Devil May Cry in Nero's very capable hands. But I could totally see Dante feeling trauma over the years and humor probably is the one of the fews things keeping him from breaking down and taking a big dose of F-ITALL after what he has watched happen to his family, but I think Nero definitely brought him back around with the hope that somehow this upbeat kid with a good head on his shoulders is family.

Picard

Starfleet Demon
Can I also debate the whole Nero is Vergil's fail-safe theory. We all know Vergil is cocky, just as cocky as Dante, he just doesn't talk as much. That being said, no matter what kind of chaos Vergil had planned, I think he honestly believed he was strong enough, and was going to get stronger, to do everything he had planned by his own hand. Those sons of Sparda are cocky mamajamas. I don't think Vergil would doubt himself enough to make a baby with someone in case he died. I also don't think Vergil is pure evil, just hurt and maybe a little confused. Without there having been some conflict in his past to make him hate humans, I don't think he would intentionally impregnant someone for the sake of carrying out his evil plans, unless someone could expand this theory further.

I don't think it has anything to do with power. Demons may live forever, but half-demons clearly do not, as evidenced by Dante's "give greetings to my son" quote. So regardless of how powerful Vergil gets, he is still going to die someday. Now, there is a saying that if you want to live forever, you should plant a tree, write a book or have a child. So if he wanted his legacy to live on, he had to get busy.

I do honestly believe that Vergil is Nero's son, but lately, for some reason, the idea of a reborn Vergil in the form of Nero gives Vergil a chance at redemption for the mistakes he made and anger he held onto, I dunno there is something romantic about that idea (and not the lovey-dovey kind of romantic, but the fanciful, emotionally appealing kind.)

Indeed there is, but I never thought of that theory as being very likely.

Cranberry

Maker of cookies
I don't think it has anything to do with power. Demons may live forever, but half-demons clearly do not, as evidenced by Dante's "give greetings to my son" quote. So regardless of how powerful Vergil gets, he is still going to die someday. Now, there is a saying that if you want to live forever, you should plant a tree, write a book or have a child. So if he wanted his legacy to live on, he had to get busy.

Ah good point, I never considered the whole immortality vs mortality thing. That would make a bit more sense. Then the only thing I would question about that theory still is I just don't think Vergil is evil enough to think out a plan like that. I'm having a hard time forming my thoughts right now lol I am craving pretzels and it's all I can think about, but I am deciding whether or not it is worth it to get up. Lol so I'm sorry for my inability to focus but I will edit it later.

Indeed there is, but I never thought of that theory as being very likely.

Nor do I, but if that is was Capcom decides to do, it would be interesting to see how Capcom would rework that whole "second chances" thing in a non-traditional way (the traditional, and more obvious way of letting things go for Nero.) Oh, I just thought of another question, my boyfriend and I had this debate the other night about whether or not Vergil would know he has a son, if the events were that he fell in love with someone, and whether or not he would have known Nero was alive. I suppose...this question may only be relevant with my theory and hard to answer...maybe I dunno...pretzels:inlove:

raxii

Um...Maybe this was said before but:

Sanctus: The power of Sparda… Why won’t you give me strength? Am I not worthy!?
Nero: Never could take those legends too literally. But I do know that Sparda had a heart. A heart that could love another person, a human. And that is what you lack.

How the heck did Nero know about this? Could he be another Sparda's son? Maybe Sanctus bored them to death telling the complete story over and over again? Twisted plotholes -.-''

Top Bottom