• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New or Old Red Queen?

Which Red Queen design do you like better?

• Original

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • New

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
Just curious which design people prefer and why.
8c9u0m0utgr11.png

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Original.

New one looks too busy (apart from the blade), for my tastes.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I like the curvature of the new model but I agree that it's overdressed. Too much going on. If they toned it back a bit I'd be receptive. That cone over the handle looks like it belongs on a building more than a sword.

D.Dark

The old one looks much better. The hilt on the new one looks like a fancy ceiling lamp.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
New one in my opinion. I like how curved and stylistic it is. Nothing wrong with the old one, but it looks boring in comparison.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
New. I like the old design, but it looks plain by comparison. Plus, it makes sense for Nero to change up design as he is no longer with the Order of the Sword.

Picard

Starfleet Demon
Original. New design is way too overdecorated for my taste. Also, these decorations look like they could mess with the balance of the sword. You can't just add stuff like that to the blade, though to be fair that does depend on where the point of balance was to begin with.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I like the new Red Queen in DMC5, but not for design reasons, but for gameplay reasons. Dante's new sword got upgrades, too. Especially when you progress through missions.

DragonMaster2010

Original. New design is way too overdecorated for my taste. Also, these decorations look like they could mess with the balance of the sword. You can't just add stuff like that to the blade, though to be fair that does depend on where the point of balance was to begin with.
balance is barely a factor to the fact that a sword like that weighs a ton regardless.

Picard

Starfleet Demon
balance is barely a factor to the fact that a sword like that weighs a ton regardless.

Balance is actually far more important to sword design than merely weight. Properly balanced sword will feel much lighter than nominally lighter sword that is not properly balanced. Further, you do not want the blade to feel either too heavy or too light for the style you are fighting with. If it feels too heavy (again, not necessarily to do with nominal weight), it will be sluggish; too light, and you will have trouble properly controlling your strikes, may be prone to overswing, and keeping track of the blade will be harder (that is to say, you might cut yourself up).

I understand that these swords are designed to look cool first and foremost, but such a massive change on a well-established blade design just stabs me in the eyes.

DragonMaster2010

Balance is actually far more important to sword design than merely weight. Properly balanced sword will feel much lighter than nominally lighter sword that is not properly balanced. Further, you do not want the blade to feel either too heavy or too light for the style you are fighting with. If it feels too heavy (again, not necessarily to do with nominal weight), it will be sluggish; too light, and you will have trouble properly controlling your strikes, may be prone to overswing, and keeping track of the blade will be harder (that is to say, you might cut yourself up).

I understand that these swords are designed to look cool first and foremost, but such a massive change on a well-established blade design just stabs me in the eyes.
Okay but the new red queen is thinner and more curved to allow my better swinging right? It seems there's less weight on the new one while the old one looks like it weighs a ton.

Picard

Starfleet Demon
Okay but the new red queen is thinner and more curved to allow my better swinging right? It seems there's less weight on the new one while the old one looks like it weighs a ton.

That is true. But when you combine that fact with the added decoration which looks heavy enough to further shift point of balance aft, it is too massive of a change. Implication to me is that the original Red Queen was extremely unbalanced - which, seeing how it was a take on a blade meant to be wielded by somewhat-normal humans, is unlikely.

Top Bottom