• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

My thoughts after playing through DmC: Devil May Cry

VergilNeroDante

Although I haven't played the game yet, your post is quite nuanced, which is excellent :)
The only question I would ask is: do colorful graphics equal quality graphics? I personally don't think so. Environments like the nightclub can get away with being so colorful, but I wonder why the rest has to be so colorful as well. It seems to just take away some of the contrast if you make every environment blindingly colorful.

DMC4's colors aren't outdated, I'd say. I don't even know what it means for 'colors to be outdated'. DMC4 had just the right colors, though the game's setting should have been a bit more like that of the old DMCs (darker, gloomier, gothic).

Most of the textures in DmC look pretty mediocre (in the 360 demo), even when compared to DMC4. I don't know if it's due to the Unreal Engine or what. PC screenshots look better, though.

Anyway, very nicely done.

I think the Unreal Engine isn't really meant to hold such greatness as far a action based game goes like DMC

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Although I haven't played the game yet, your post is quite nuanced, which is excellent :)
The only question I would ask is: do colorful graphics equal quality graphics? I personally don't think so. Environments like the nightclub can get away with being so colorful, but I wonder why the rest has to be so colorful as well. It seems to just take away some of the contrast if you make every environment blindingly colorful.

That was actually done as a contrast between the bland, sleeping real world and the much more alive Limbo.

Soupie

There are some cool ways you can dispatch Witches quickly, but Butchers, Rages and Dreamrunners are by far the most annoying enemies to encounter.

ChaserTech

There are some cool ways you can dispatch Witches quickly, but Butchers, Rages and Dreamrunners are by far the most annoying enemies to encounter.

I found Butchers to be really easy to fight against, unless you're talking about the Tyrant enemies.

With Butcher, all you need to do is just parry their sawblades from afar, which isn't too hard to do.

- The True Nephilim -

Devil Trigger Expert
Color coded enemies need to be implemented better, I always felt you can hit the colored enemy with any weapon, but hitting them with the right colored weapon gives more style points or something. That way it doesn't ruin the flow of combat.

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
Color coded enemies need to be implemented better, I always felt you can hit the colored enemy with any weapon, but hitting them with the right colored weapon gives more style points or something. That way it doesn't ruin the flow of combat.

I agree completely, even if you didn't do any damage or get any style points it would be an improvement if they just took away the stagger from hitting the wrong enemy. However then I think it would lack the feedback for certain gamers to realise they are not as effective.

EvilX-81

The only time he actually gets active is when you get close to him, which the game encourages you to parry his attacks from a distance.

Hell, it seems like strategies from afar are the only choices. You certainly can't fight it straight up because his dodge cancel is simply not responsive or invincible enough to handle what you'd have to do to take it on straightforward.

Though I'm waiting to see just that pop up on youtube...

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Phineas seems like a character that holds more potential to be explored when if a sequel rolls around because it didn't tell you right off the bat his whole story but it gave subtle hints that there was more to him than meets the eye. Since he obviously knew both of Dante's parents and held knowledge of a Nephillim race that actually thrived and weren't so rare as they thought. I prefer that element of mystery than the story treating you like a baby who needs explaining every turn.

The combat is no less refined than any other game in the series. The Devil May Cry heart still beats strongly inside it and Dante has quite the variety of moves which through experimentation I discovered even more combinations even going through my 3rd play through. Although the flaw does not lie in the combat but more so in the enemy groups. As you get to the more later portions of the game the sheer variety that you were given to play with from the beginning to halfway starts to get limited when it throws enemy combinations that have you fight against for example one enemy that only gets hurt from angel weapons to another who is vulnerable to demons. This is my main issue with the game. The combat is fantastic and loads of fun and the lack of a manual lock on is easily overlooked if you know that changing whatever enemy you're attacking is simply facing a different direction. You have to be mobile. It's not hard.

ChaserTech

The combat is no less refined than any other game in the series. The Devil May Cry heart still beats strongly inside it and Dante has quite the variety of moves which through experimentation I discovered even more combinations even going through my 3rd play through. Although the flaw does not lie in the combat but more so in the enemy groups. As you get to the more later portions of the game the sheer variety that you were given to play with from the beginning to halfway starts to get limited when it throws enemy combinations that have you fight against for example one enemy that only gets hurt from angel weapons to another who is vulnerable to demons. This is my main issue with the game.

It is less refined than DMC4. Especially when trying to pull of advanced tactics, which I've said many many times. The only thing that's better in DmC is the fact that you have more crowd control options with Dante. However, Nero did had great crowd control gameplay mechanics in DMC4: (Devil Snatch, Max-ACT Streak, Charged Shots, Summoned Swords, Maximum Bet)

And what makes matters worse is that huge parts of missions can be skipped in DmC just by exploiting glitches and the JC system. I even demonstrated that this could be done when I was streaming DmC yesterday. I don't recall this being nearly as apparent in DmC with DMC4 so I don't think that DmC has "refined combat". At least not more than DMC3 and DMC4.

The combat is fantastic and loads of fun and the lack of a manual lock on is easily overlooked if you know that changing whatever enemy you're attacking is simply facing a different direction. You have to be mobile. It's not hard.

I already knew that. :/ However the Soft Lock on system has a habit of targeting enemies who are the closest towards me in the general direction that I'm pointing my control stick to. If I have to get rid of a flying enemy above a grounded enemy, I can't simply target him. I even had an incident where Dante didn't auto aim while shooting with Revenant. I killed an enemy and I continued to shoot when more enemies spawned. The enemy that I aimed at was killed and Dante did not lock on to any other targets until I had stopped shooting.

Kammosjuttu

Phineas seems like a character that holds more potential to be explored when if a sequel rolls around because it didn't tell you right off the bat his whole story but it gave subtle hints that there was more to him than meets the eye. Since he obviously knew both of Dante's parents and held knowledge of a Nephillim race that actually thrived and weren't so rare as they thought.

Yeah, I'd like to see Phineas return in DmC2 with a bigger role. I think he has the potential and seemed like a good character. :)

Dante47

You all know how much I love DmC, but there is no way the combat is better than Devil May Cry 3.
For me, DmC is the stepping stone of the series. It's providing gateways of great and unseen potential.
If Ninja Theory does make a sequel, I have no doubt that improvements will be made.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
It is less refined than DMC4. Especially when trying to pull of advanced tactics, which I've said many many times. The only thing that's better in DmC is the fact that you have more crowd control options with Dante. However, Nero did had great crowd control gameplay mechanics in DMC4: (Devil Snatch, Max-ACT Streak, Charged Shots, Summoned Swords, Maximum Bet)

And what makes matters worse is that huge parts of missions can be skipped in DmC just by exploiting glitches and the JC system. I even demonstrated that this could be done when I was streaming DmC yesterday. I don't recall this being nearly as apparent in DmC with DMC4 so I don't think that DmC has "refined combat". At least not more than DMC3 and DMC4.

I already knew that. :/ However the Soft Lock on system has a habit of targeting enemies who are the closest towards me in the general direction that I'm pointing my control stick to. If I have to get rid of a flying enemy above a grounded enemy, I can't simply target him. I even had an incident where Dante didn't auto aim while shooting with Revenant. I killed an enemy and I continued to shoot when more enemies spawned. The enemy that I aimed at was killed and Dante did not lock on to any other targets until I had stopped shooting.
4 was an awful game and I rather not even bring it into discussion. I hated 4 as it was one of the worst games I played that year. DmC is better than 4, end of story.

ChaserTech

4 was an awful game and I rather not even bring it into discussion. I hated 4 as it was one of the worst games I played that year. DmC is better than 4, end of story.

So just because you didn't like DMC4, DmC is better than DMC4?
And just because you think it's an "awful game", that gives you the authority to dismiss an actual discussion about it?

. . . Really?

No offense, but are you trolling at this point? Or are you really being serious?

Dante47

I still enjoyed Devil May Cry 4. You cannot deny how incredibly well designed the boss battles were.
I'll never forget that fight with Credo.

ZeroLove

And just because you think it's an "awful game", that gives you the authority to dismiss an actual discussion about it?

. . . Really?

No offense, but are you trolling at this point? Or are you really being serious?

DmC IS better than DMC4 in SOME aspects, such as storyplot, character development, platforming...
However, DMC4 was better for hardcore stylish gameplay geeks like yourself (please know that I mean that as a term of endearment ^^ ). Oh, and DMC4 had Trish. Points to DMC4 for that. :p

Soupie

I found Butchers to be really easy to fight against, unless you're talking about the Tyrant enemies.

With Butcher, all you need to do is just parry their sawblades from afar, which isn't too hard to do.
I get that you can parry them, but I find dodging his attacks head on to be a pain in the ass and awfully repetitive. If you watch that video, you'll see that virtually most of my problems came from the Butcher and that stupid attack where he swings his arms in three quick successions.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

. . . Really?

No, I'm serious about DMC 4. I hated it and it was awful. Where's the sudden change of heart come from with this fanbase? 4 got alot of grief too and was dubbed the worst DMC since 2. How is literally half a game that was artificially lengthened with obnoxious design better than a game that actually has effort and work? DMC 4 was a prime example of a franchise pushed through the ringer after being shaken down for sequels just there to milk a series for a few extra dollars and it gets no excuse. DmC IS THE BETTER GAME. If you think otherwise then you must just like bad games because I for one will give credit where credit is due and spare no grief or judgement on a lackluster and lazy game that deserves no praise. Especially coming off of a great game like DMC 3, 4 shouldn't have even been made. Shameful.

ChaserTech

DmC IS better than DMC4 in SOME aspects, such as storyplot, character development, platforming...
However, DMC4 was better for hardcore stylish gameplay geeks like yourself (please know that I mean that as a term of endearment ^^ ). Oh, and DMC4 had Trish. Points to DMC4 for that. :p

Yes, DmC is better in some aspects. I admitted it myself when I was streaming yesterday.

But as I stated multiple times, previously before, DmC does not top DMC4 in terms of technical and advanced combat, especially from what I've seen and experienced myself. It's not nearly as refined. And that's my point.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
That was actually done as a contrast between the bland, sleeping real world and the much more alive Limbo.

Alright, I'll have to take your word for that, but I believe you.

So as long as it's not ninety percent of the game that's colorful, I'm okay with that.

Dante47

The Reboot is filled with brown, black, grey, dark environments with what looks like the same platforming from start to finish.
Are you sure you weren't playing Gears of War?
The newer game is full of vibrant colors.

Also, the older games, especially the first three, focused on bleak and grey environments.
As a matter of fact, people criticized Devil May Cry 4 for being too colorful in stark contrast to the previous entries.

So even if the game did contain the dark, brown, black, and grey environments you've stated (and it doesn't) then why would that be such a bad thing, considering the foundation the older games put out?

Top Bottom