• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

My opinion; either a DmC2 or no more DMC games!

Railazel

I say no more Dante.

DMC is one of those franchises I want to see go on forever. However, I think it just needs a fresh new start with a new character. Not a reboot, just a new character. Have someone else other than Dante (or a clone of Dante) take on the helm and add to the game's lore (and give a new combat mechanic/system).

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
I also want one more game. I want it to be a sequel to 2 and take place in hell. Nero would go after Dante, trying to figure out how to get to hell while Dante would try to go through and finish Mundas once and for all. They would each have there own stories that would intertwine throughout the game. Nero would have all of Dante's old weapons (1,3,4). Dante would get his new weapons of coarse from the bosses. Speaking of enemies make all the enemies new and hellish looking, nothing like what 4 did where almost all the enemies were from 1 with minor variations. Trish,Lady and Lucia would show up and also maybe Vergil. At the end of the game Mundas would be the final boss and he'd have 3 forms 1st form Dante would fight, 2nd fight would be with both Vergil and Dante, and the 3rd form Dante and Vergil are getting to weak and Nero steps in to finish the fight and at the end Dante would give Devil May Cry to Nero and would pass the torch on.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
One more game sounds like a splendid idea, honestly... And they better make sure it's all about Nero.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I say no more Dante.

DMC is one of those franchises I want to see go on forever. However, I think it just needs a fresh new start with a new character. Not a reboot, just a new character. Have someone else other than Dante (or a clone of Dante) take on the helm and add to the game's lore (and give a new combat mechanic/system).

They did. His name was Nero.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
I would like ONE more game and thats it. I NEED to know more about Nero it keeps me up at night. I will not hate on new DmC because there is absolutely no point but I just dont like it. I do not care in the slightest if they keep DmC going because I am not going to buy them(I rented this one haha) but I would really like them to close the gap between 1-2 storyline wise. What made Dante that dark? What happens to Nero? Does Vergil ever return? How is Lady doing? Trish was not in 2 storyline wise so something must have happened.

And just for the lolz my games in favorite order- DMC3>DMC4=DMC>DmC>DMC2 . To me it was a hard decision equalizing 4-1 because 1 had an amazing story but 4 is CRAZY fun to play with high skill levels.
It's pretty easy to find out what made Dante so "dark" in dmc2, it's called bad characterization. it had less to do with any significant untold story moment or anything like that and more to do with Capcom doing what 99% of all franchises do when they make a sequel to something. make the lead character "dark" and "brooding" to drum up fake interest. I am not saying your desire to find out is bad or foolish in any way I just think we as fans get too wrapped in the plot of a game series that never had a strong story focus to begin with and we need to realize that in this games case as is the case with 80% of games even today, the plot was unimportant and meaningless window dressing and played 8th fiddle to the gameplay.

The same thing goes for Nero, his entire existence is to drum up a mediocre mystery for the game series. There is nothing wrong with having an ambiguous past, but in Nero's case the seeds of a possible Vergil connection and all that were just marketing ploys by Capcom to help ease Nero into the series as a major character and stymie the fan backlash over Dante not being the main focus.

All they do is take these marketing gimmicks and try to mold a plot around them which usually leads to having a bad plot all together. If they had an actual story to tell and built around that instead they probably would have come up with a better story for both dmc2 and dmc4 instead of darker, more stoic hero in dmc2 and younger, Dante clone/ pretty boy to lure in female gamers and people who love anime in dmc4.

Now all this does not mean a possible dmc5 would suffer or be awful in the story department. if they ever decide to make a dmc5 I hope Capcom approaches it with the the thought of, "Let's tell this particular story" instead of "lets do this gimmick to drum up sales figures and try and build a story around that"

Dusk Stalker

" Everybody gets a bullet!" -Axton
It's pretty easy to find out what made Dante so "dark" in dmc2, it's called bad characterization. it had less to do with any significant untold story moment or anything like that and more to do with Capcom doing what 99% of all franchises do when they make a sequel to something. make the lead character "dark" and "brooding" to drum up fake interest. I am not saying your desire to find out is bad or foolish in any way I just think we as fans get too wrapped in the plot of a game series that never had a strong story focus to begin with and we need to realize that in this games case as is the case with 80% of games even today, the plot was unimportant and meaningless window dressing and played 8th fiddle to the gameplay.

The same thing goes for Nero, his entire existence is to drum up a mediocre mystery for the game series. There is nothing wrong with having an ambiguous past, but in Nero's case the seeds of a possible Vergil connection and all that were just marketing ploys by Capcom to help ease Nero into the series as a major character and stymie the fan backlash over Dante not being the main focus.

All they do is take these marketing gimmicks and try to mold a plot around them which usually leads to having a bad plot all together. If they had an actual story to tell and built around that instead they probably would have come up with a better story for both dmc2 and dmc4 instead of darker, more stoic hero in dmc2 and younger, Dante clone/ pretty boy to lure in female gamers and people who love anime in dmc4.

Now all this does not mean a possible dmc5 would suffer or be awful in the story department. if they ever decide to make a dmc5 I hope Capcom approaches it with the the thought of, "Let's tell this particular story" instead of "lets do this gimmick to drum up sales figures and try and build a story around that"

Basically everyone's reaction to Nero/Vergil connection

But yeah I can see your point.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
Basically everyone's reaction to Nero/Vergil connection

But yeah I can see your point.
Lol I felt that way at first too! I wonder if Capcom even has a good explanation for it though, since he is a gimmick character made to entice female gamers. Also if they do explain it they run the risk of loosing one of the hooks they have embedded in their fanbase. i could see them never telling us as another marketing ploy to keep us coming back for more

O.G.

Dino's Meth supplier
DMC NOT BEING ANYTHING BUT THE GAMEPLAY

Why are people talking smack about DMC not being anything but the gameplay? If DMC was about colorful 13-year old teenage girls with DmC Dante's attitude it wouldn't have such a big and loyal fanbase like DMC's. Even with the best gameplay DMC has ever had.

I don't have t-shirts or posters of DMC, but I really like the old ones.

The old main character has an I don't give a sh*t attitude while having fun giving no sh*t. (Playful and enthusiastic, even in the worst situations, which makes him BADASS. This guy has pizazz! Also, DMC 3 focused a bit more on his pizza. Respect.)​
His attitude and style motivated me while playing and also made me almost idolize this guy.
The new main character has a not giving a sh*t attitude while showing extreme signs of being crushed by the stress of giving sh*t. (Looking tired, angry and depressed, having trust-issues, later confronts pre-introduced problems. Personally, I don't like soaps.)​

DMC 5

The first post in this thread says that if DMC would continue the story, it would become like DBZ, Naruto or COD.
- DBZ and Naruto are limited to the manga/anime story.
- COD doesn't have a story. It starts a new one almost every time.

Besides, next to the failures there are also succesful continuations of stories. Look at some of the Hitman, MGS and Splinter Cell. The stories aren't geniusly written, but they definitely satisfy. The devs of these games are doing something right which Capcom and Ninja Theory don't with DMC, which is: They keep the best things and they try to replace the less awesome things with something better.

Remember the Terminator 3 movie? Yeah, people bitch about it. Sometimes people complain with good reason. Changing the best parts while keeping the theme can result in epic fail.

Btw, I also won't take the "DmC" justification crap:
Taking something good which has a LOT of loyal fans - which is the best compliment a game developer can get: having a lot of very loyal fans - and introducing something which doesn't have the quality of the earlier ones and doing this while being unrespectful to the fans (The wig? Come on!), unrespectful to the Japanese (bar in Tokyo) and imposing your own image into a lot of people's idol to get off on it can't be justified. Ignore it, but don't try to justify it. When looking at it from emotional aspect, I still see DmC as a brain-seizure stimulating production of the real suck-ubus-called-Antoniades' third menstruation cycle. Also, he is Lilith at the same time. (Without the wig. With the wig on, she definitely looks like something I'd tap.)

DmC

Anyway, I´ve played DmC and liked the design of levels very, VERY much! The dark, grungy feel, the world changing around you? HOLY SH*T!! That stuff is AWESOME!! And the bright-colored level where you get to the fat-faced news broadcaster? I'm not German, but it was UBER AS HELL! The originality level is definitely over 9000.

The weapons were great. I liked some of them and some of them I didn't. (And yeah, the blue and red limited stuff crap, but I understand the reasons for it.) And the transitioning between moves continuing with another is great!

The gameplay and the monsters were a bit too slow to my liking, while the story was over before the curtains opened up. That could need a bit more filling. Or if we could roam freely, that could solve the hasty feel to the game/story.

Some things I remember that irritated me:
- Why does Dante turn Super Saiyan when using Devil Trigger? That was cheesy and I know cheese when I see it because I live in the Netherlands. They should leave it out. (And I'm pro-white hair.)
- Kat, f*ck off.
- Vergil. Be more in contrast to Dante. Be evil or something.
- And last, but not least: Antoniades' face. Torch it. Thank you.

Overall: Not too bad, but if I may be honest, it's only because I love hack & slash games and almost any game with a dark styled theme. So, I'd recommend having a second DmC dev'd, but (with earlier gameplay in mind) a DMC 5 would definitely please the DMC-lover, but also the neutral player in me much more. First 5, then "2", I say.

GF9000000Returns

DMC NOT BEING ANYTHING BUT THE GAMEPLAY

Why are people talking smack about DMC not being anything but the gameplay? If DMC was about colorful 13-year old teenage girls with DmC Dante's attitude it wouldn't have such a big and loyal fanbase like DMC's. Even with the best gameplay DMC has ever had.
Do you know what this fanbase is like? It's mostly full of hardcore fans who like to just play the games just to do sylish combos and not giving a damn about anything else, and show off, like comparing a "fast" DMC4 to DmC, which is not right. I've said this a million times now, games nowadays need to have a balance between gameplay, story, and value. It can't be about the combos all the time. It'd be nice to have a game that aims STRAIGHT for the hardcore, but too bad that's not how it is anymore.

DMC 5

The first post in this thread says that if DMC would continue the story, it would become like DBZ, Naruto or COD.
- DBZ and Naruto are limited to the manga/anime story.
- COD doesn't have a story. It starts a new one almost every time.
NO NO NO!! I said that if they keep on rushing and milking the original games, it would become like them, like what you've said about COD, THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Besides, next to the failures there are also succesful continuations of stories. Look at some of the Hitman, MGS and Splinter Cell. The stories aren't geniusly written, but they definitely satisfy. The devs of these games are doing something right which Capcom and Ninja Theory don't with DMC, which is: They keep the best things and they try to replace the less awesome things with something better.
Then you tell me what made people not like DMC4 as a whole game in the first place.

Remember the Terminator 3 movie? Yeah, people bitch about it. Sometimes people complain with good reason. Changing the best parts while keeping the theme can result in epic fail.
Terminator 3 is not a reboot.

Btw, I also won't take the "DmC" justification crap:
Taking something good which has a LOT of loyal fans - which is the best compliment a game developer can get: having a lot of very loyal fans - and introducing something which doesn't have the quality of the earlier ones and doing this while being unrespectful to the fans (The wig? Come on!), unrespectful to the Japanese (bar in Tokyo) and imposing your own image into a lot of people's idol to get off on it can't be justified. Ignore it, but don't try to justify it. When looking at it from emotional aspect, I still see DmC as a brain-seizure stimulating production of the real suck-ubus-called-Antoniades' third menstruation cycle. Also, he is Lilith at the same time. (Without the wig. With the wig on, she definitely looks like something I'd tap.)

Wow...don't tell me that you're one of those fans who took the joke seriously. I understand how much it hurts, but things like making a petition for Obama to ban it just because of one of those reasons, makes me f*cking SICK TO MY STOMACH!!

- Why does Dante turn Super Saiyan when using Devil Trigger? That was cheesy and I know cheese when I see it because I live in the Netherlands. They should leave it out. (And I'm pro-white hair.)
Alternate. Universe! Jesus, don't you people understand?

ChaserTech

Do you know what this fanbase is like? It's mostly full of hardcore fans who like to just play the games just to do sylish combos and not giving a damn about anything else, and show off, like comparing a "fast" DMC4 to DmC, which is not right. I've said this a million times now, games nowadays need to have a balance between gameplay, story, and value. It can't be about the combos all the time. It'd be nice to have a game that aims STRAIGHT for the hardcore, but too bad that's not how it is anymore.

Pretty sure that the casual fanbase outnumbers us veterans of the DMC3/4 combat system.

O.G.

Dino's Meth supplier

I go with what ChaserTech said:

Pretty sure that the casual fanbase outnumbers us veterans of the DMC3/4 combat system.

Why? Because there's also an anime, a manga, t-shirts and also coffee mugs which fans love and appreciate and besides loving those most of them are also fan of the game and game character. Only thinking about that easily brings me to the thought that the normal fanbase is larger than the hardcore combat fans (while I'm pretty sure most suck at the game compared to the dmc3/4 combat veterans).

NO NO NO!! I said that if they keep on rushing and milking the original games, it would become like them, like what you've said about COD, THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Did you ever play Metal Gear Solid? Or Final Fantasy? Or Mass Effect? (Yeah they f*cked up the ending, but that's a different story) If they put effort into the story it can be VERY interesting. DmC shows clear lack of effort to me which made me forget about the game instantly when I finished it.
I remember fantasizing about how cool it would be if I was cloud from Final Fantasy VII or how the world would look like if it was like XII (even though I didn't like it's theme like I did with the rest..).
If they think up a COMPLETE story for the DMC-series (which they never did) it would gain more attention and from a start a story could be told in a manga/anime/movie-like fashion with the sequels.
Keyword: effort. and money.
Then you tell me what made people not like DMC4 as a whole game in the first place.

Are you serious? Remember me saying something about "replacing something awesome with something better"? They replaced Dante with something risky (and made Dante a side-character) and it showed. Dante works. Nero doesn't. It also it had a lack of Vergil, btw. The game itself wasn't as fastpaced as DMC3, too. It was too laidback. Also, the theme wasn't dark enough. I liked the combat system, but except for that and Dante, it wasn't really DMC. P.S. Who is Nero? Again, a lack of a completed character/story. Don't leave big question marks about main characters.

When you want a person to be motivated about somebody, you need to prove that guy to the person (he pays for the game, he's the player, so he's the judge.). You first earn the respect (remember the DMC3 intro?) and then you make that guy the main companion to the player in the game.

What happened in DMC4? The intro was done nicely, but not effectively. Even in the end it showed that he wasn't as cool or as strong as Dante. Which clearly showed that DMC4 was just a filler.
Terminator 3 is not a reboot.

I´m not talking about reboots. I'm talking about making something about an existing WORKING thing while removing the working aspects and replacing it with something risky.

Terminator 1 and 2:

- One cool villain (proved to viewer as HELL YEAH, HE'S COOL!!)
- A cool main character (which people find cool).
- I'll be back & Hasta la vista, baby
- Not fastpaced, but relaxed, letting you sink in everything and get stressed out because of nerves.

Terminator 3

- Chaos! Anarchy! Constant action! Constant delivery!
- Also, too much tech and too dark. It's Terminator not Star Wars.

Terminator 3 wasn't Terminator like we knew it was. DmC or DMC 4 wasn't DMC like we knew it was.

Wow...don't tell me that you're one of those fans who took the joke seriously. I understand how much it hurts, but things like making a petition for Obama to ban it just because of one of those reasons, makes me f*cking SICK TO MY STOMACH!!

Do you know why people like something? And why they defend something? People respect good/proven ideas. If you mess with that, you offend their taste and knowledge. And by that you offend the person.

Example: If they made a sequel or a reboot of Scarface with Edward from Twilight being the new Tony Montana a lot of people would get ****ed. Which they did for DmC. And if they made fun of the old Tony Montana in the new movie and the director was disrespecting the old Scarface fans when introducing the new movie. Well, you can guess what would happen then, I think.

Having opinions and ideals and protecting those is something to respect. (Martin Luther King, John F. Kennedy)

While I also think that petition thing was stupid as hell, not caring about anything is also I wouldn't want. It lacks character.

That some people don't bend over like Lilith and being Antoniades' bitch is something which you shouldn't disrespect. What you should do is respecting other peoples' opinion.

Alternate. Universe! Jesus, don't you people understand?

He turns Super Saiyan

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
That some people don't bend over like Lilith and being Antoniades' bitch is something which you shouldn't disrespect. What you should do is respecting other peoples' opinion.

Practice what you preach then.

He turns Super Saiyan

~checks again~ Um, where's the blonde hair, green eyes, monkey tail bs and a kamehame ha? I don't see no Saiyajins, I see a different take on DT. If you wann'a go into the "he goes to a different level of power" and call it "Super Saiyajin"...then so is Classic DT.

O.G.

Dino's Meth supplier
Practice what you preach then.
I do, but that doesn't mean not to protect your opinion.
Hell, I even gave DmC a chance after Antoniades' hairstyle was removed.
You can read in my earlier message what happened after then.

~checks again~ Um, where's the blonde hair, green eyes, monkey tail bs and a kamehame ha? I don't see no Saiyajins, I see a different take on DT. If you wann'a go into the "he goes to a different level of power" and call it "Super Saiyajin"...then so is Classic DT.
Oh yeah, the color is slightly different, my bad bro!
Well, no. If the Hulk started throwing green spiderwebs, that´d be the same as Spiderman's powers, too. And if he, after throwing webs, also would jump in a suit like Iron Man's, but with a different color (it'd probably be green, btw), it would also be cheesy.

P.S. Goku uses kamehameha without being super saiyan or needs a tail to turn Super Saiyan so that's not valid Super Saiyan characteristic. Nitpicking, ftw, right?

P.P.S. It was an arbitrary argument. Don't take those too seriously. ;)

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
The only reason why Dante was such a soft spoken character in DMC2 was because Neo in the matrix was soft spoken. DMC has and will always leach off of what is cool at the moment.

Yes, we will grow up and actually have a better perspective on things. But Capcom will still be selling games to younger people. DMC will never mature .

as for DMC5. That game has a lot to prove. And if i see the same reharshed gameplay of dmc4, i won't buy it. They hooked me in with DMC2 (yes, DMC2 has way more style than DMC1) and when dmc3 came out, it was a perfect fit. I like dmc4 only because of Dante and the Bloody Palace, everything else, i could give two ****s about. I would of gladly paid 9.99 dollars for just that. DMC5 in my opinion has a lot to prove than DmC 2. Its just like RE6 had a lot to prove over RE5 but everyone knows how that went. At least with DmC2, i can see where they can improve on the combat and the story can go where ever it wants too. If DMC5 even makes an attempt to close gaps and have Dante kill the biggest bad guy again, we need to look at DMC6. And by that time, with the all mighty Capcom at the helm... and their ever quest to take all our money, we could only expect more plot holes.

GF9000000Returns

I go with what ChaserTech said:

Why? Because there's also an anime, a manga, t-shirts and also coffee mugs which fans love and appreciate and besides loving those most of them are also fan of the game and game character. Only thinking about that easily brings me to the thought that the normal fanbase is larger than the hardcore combat fans (while I'm pretty sure most suck at the game compared to the dmc3/4 combat veterans).
Of course, because the fans care about the original character itself. Most of them are probably mad cuz of the character change. Don't get me wrong, I like the original Dante too (to an extent), but he's starting to be one of the characters who are just...there...you know, just not doing sh*t. I know people are getting tired of serious and gritty characters, but damn at least show some feelings. The last Dante who had that was the DMC1 Dante. And you said that most suck at DMC games? Well let me tell you, that's why there's DmC, like I said again, one of the major reasons why it's not doing well because most casuals still could not get over the fact that Dante's changed!

Did you ever play Metal Gear Solid? Or Final Fantasy? Or Mass Effect? (Yeah they f*cked up the ending, but that's a different story) If they put effort into the story it can be VERY interesting. DmC shows clear lack of effort to me which made me forget about the game instantly when I finished it.
I remember fantasizing about how cool it would be if I was cloud from Final Fantasy VII or how the world would look like if it was like XII (even though I didn't like it's theme like I did with the rest..).
If they think up a COMPLETE story for the DMC-series (which they never did) it would gain more attention and from a start a story could be told in a manga/anime/movie-like fashion with the sequels.
Keyword: effort. and money.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. I am NOT talking about the story, I'm talking about Capcom just milking games. If they continue doing that, then it will just be like another COD or Final Fantasy! They can changed the story all they want, but they must be stupid if they think that some fans would accept ANY REHASHED GAMEPLAY!! And whatchu mean by "effort"? Last time I checked DMC4 was rushed stated bu most people here and outta this forum.

Are you serious? Remember me saying something about "replacing something awesome with something better"? They replaced Dante with something risky (and made Dante a side-character) and it showed. Dante works. Nero doesn't. It also it had a lack of Vergil, btw. The game itself wasn't as fastpaced as DMC3, too. It was too laidback. Also, the theme wasn't dark enough. I liked the combat system, but except for that and Dante, it wasn't really DMC. P.S. Who is Nero? Again, a lack of a completed character/story. Don't leave big question marks about main characters.

When you want a person to be motivated about somebody, you need to prove that guy to the person (he pays for the game, he's the player, so he's the judge.). You first earn the respect (remember the DMC3 intro?) and then you make that guy the main companion to the player in the game.

What happened in DMC4? The intro was done nicely, but not effectively. Even in the end it showed that he wasn't as cool or as strong as Dante. Which clearly showed that DMC4 was just a filler.

You realized you just explained why fans didn't like DMC4 as a whole, right?

I´m not talking about reboots. I'm talking about making something about an existing WORKING thing while removing the working aspects and replacing it with something risky.

Terminator 1 and 2:

- One cool villain (proved to viewer as HELL YEAH, HE'S COOL!!)
- A cool main character (which people find cool).
- I'll be back & Hasta la vista, baby
- Not fastpaced, but relaxed, letting you sink in everything and get stressed out because of nerves.

Terminator 3

- Chaos! Anarchy! Constant action! Constant delivery!
- Also, too much tech and too dark. It's Terminator not Star Wars.

Terminator 3 wasn't Terminator like we knew it was. DmC or DMC 4 wasn't DMC like we knew it was.

Okay, that's understandable, but would you rather see the same stuff or the same plot that happened years ago, or would you like to see something different. Take the Godfather series for example. What was cool then isn't cool now.

Do you know why people like something? And why they defend something? People respect good/proven ideas. If you mess with that, you offend their taste and knowledge. And by that you offend the person.

Example: If they made a sequel or a reboot of Scarface with Edward from Twilight being the new Tony Montana a lot of people would get ****ed. Which they did for DmC. And if they made fun of the old Tony Montana in the new movie and the director was disrespecting the old Scarface fans when introducing the new movie. Well, you can guess what would happen then, I think.

Having opinions and ideals and protecting those is something to respect. (Martin Luther King, John F. Kennedy)

While I also think that petition thing was stupid as hell, not caring about anything is also I wouldn't want. It lacks character.

Are you freaking kidding me? Why would you bring twilight into this? I know you haven't said this yet but people are calling him that now JUST because of the hair. THE F*CKING HAIR!! Oh boohoo Dante looks different! At least they put in the DMC3 costume too tone down the madness.

Anyway, yeah I get your example too, but Tameem didn't really disrespect Dante by changing his personality and motives. You should know that he has a cocky personality like the DMC3 Dante (but more of a jerk).

He turns Super Saiyan
He's nephilim, not a devil. I'll say it again, alternate universe.

Ryuuou

The King Of Chinese Dragons
Premium
Supporter 2014
Since when did Devil May Cry become so gangstahish? Yeah, the games have always been ''cool'' in some ways. Eastern coolness not western coolness. It does not match at all >.<

Top Bottom