• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Mobile forum?

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Sorry about the late reply, folks! Black Angel gave me a heads-up (dunno how I overlooked this thread). But, yeah, I reckon we might be able to come up with something. I'll see if there's already a "lite" vBulletin skin available for free on vBulletin.org.

I think it would take forever for me to hunt down and eliminate every single last image for the template we're currently using. :p

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it. I reckon it would be easier to just create a duplicate of the current template, and just remove the images that seem to consume the most bandwidth. The logo graphic at the top of the forum is, itself, about 60KB-70KB. Removing that would definitely help alleviate some of the download time for you mobile-browsers.

Edit 2: Also make sure you're browsing the forum with the newer May '09 template, because that one is a hell of a lot more optimized than the older one(s).

Vauxchen

The devoted
Premium
The forum has my default set to May'09 so I've got that set up as standard, but it's still slow.

Steve

Admin
Just added the new "Lite" template version with a few less graphics here and there. It's an identical clone to the May '09 one but with less images so don't worry - it's just as functional as the default one! If there's any other areas you feel the Lite skin could be optimized, feel free to suggest it and I'll see if I can implement those changes.

Edit: Things I can do to make it even more "Lite": Make avatars, XBL gamercards and signature areas invisible. What d'ya think?

Vauxchen

The devoted
Premium
The ranks are images aswel, possibly only keep the staff ones up?

The MSN, skype, Yahoo, etc. images wouldn't be helpful as you can't really add people on those via a phone, but then again, it might just be me. XD

Keaton

Premium
I have some suggestions if they are viable...

*No forum discriptions, only titles (ie. just: Devil May Cry General Discussion
*Reduced Frame sizes (ie. max page width to around 600-800 pixels)
*No images at all, no avatars, XBL Tags, Signatures etc
*Only option's available is Quick Reply (not full reply etc)

Thats all for now lol :D Nice work though Steve, looking sleaker already ^^

Steve

Admin
All your suggestions are definitely do-able. Although, removing some of the features - especially anything related to text-only stuff like forum descriptions - would make very, very little difference; unless of course you're on dial-up - which you're not, right?

I can definitely remove avatars, sigs, IM icons, ranks, XBL gamercards, etc, though, if you guys give me the green light. =]

Keaton

Premium
^I'm thinking from the view of browsing and responding to posts from a mobile device ^^ ie. iPod touch, mobile phone, PSP, NDS etc.

I think if there is going to be a cut-down skin, it should be bare bones lol, afterall when browsing on the go your main concern is with posts and responding, not someones XBL ID lol ^_^

Vauxchen

The devoted
Premium
Nice job Steve!!

I'm using it now and it's like... instant load on the PC! It's great! Thank you so much! ^_^

Black Angel

Semper Fidelis
Keaton;182480 said:
^I'm thinking from the view of browsing and responding to posts from a mobile device ^^ ie. iPod touch, mobile phone, PSP, NDS etc.

I think if there is going to be a cut-down skin, it should be bare bones lol, afterall when browsing on the go your main concern is with posts and responding, not someones XBL ID lol ^_^

Indeed, bare bones minimum.

Top Bottom