• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Likelihood of a DmC Sequel?

Will there be a DmC sequel?

• Yes

Votes: 40 87.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Total voters

wwinterj

I'd say DmC will see a sequel but I also believe there will be a DMC 5 at some point. I don't see Capcom making a reboot just to leave it at one game.

Slacri

Where exactly did you read this? Link?
XbJ5bAG.png

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/21/dmc-devil-may-cry-premiere-tears-up-uk-charts/

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Just thought of something else. Which engine and program was used to make DMC4? I'd prefer that over Unreal Engine because of issues running on PS3, but I hear Japan is not big on sharing that kind of software.

Slacri

Just thought of something else. Which engine and program was used to make DMC4? I'd prefer that over Unreal Engine because of issues running on PS3, but I hear Japan is not big on sharing that kind of software.
MT Framework was used. Capcom offered it, but Ninja Theory turned it down because they said that they were more experienced with Unreal.

Frantix

Nobody at Capcom puts a leash on Ninja Theory, where Tameem Antoniades makes his dream game Heavenly Sword 2.0 instead of DMC 5.0. Once the game is practically done, Itsuno has to come in and fix the combat with duct tape and glue with the engine that already exists.

Dude, are you kidding me? It feels like I'm reading some strange revisionist account of the whole dev period. This last part in particular is BS because most of the combat engine was in place and features ideas from NT. Moreover, Itsuno and Capcom JPN have done nothing but praise their work on the game, and they even want to work with them again.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/09/dmc-devil-may-cry-ninja-theory-have-been-amazing-say-capcom/

So you're assumption about this being shoddy game hobbled together by NT comes from nothing but your own negative impressions of the game. Don't do that.

wwinterj

MT Framework was used. Capcom offered it, but Ninja Theory turned it down because they said that they were more experienced with Unreal.
I can see where NT are coming from but it would have been a lot better on another engine. Unreal is ok for TPS/FPS but not hack and slash games in my opinion.

Slacri

Dude, are you kidding me? It feels like I'm reading some strange revisionist account of the whole dev period. This last part in particular is BS because most of the combat engine was in place and features ideas from NT.
That's my point, most of it was done by Ninja Theory and Itsuno barely did anything.
Moreover, Itsuno and Capcom JPN have done nothing but praise their work on the game, and they even want to work with them again.
http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/09/dmc-devil-may-cry-ninja-theory-have-been-amazing-say-capcom/

So you're assumption about this being shoddy game hobbled together by NT comes from nothing but your own negative impressions of the game. Don't do that.

I never said that Ninja Theory was a pain to work with for Capcom. In fact I said exactly what this article is saying, they let Ninja Theory off the leash to make whatever instead of a DMC game.
But the Japanese guys are super-open about knowing what Ninja Theory did well and leaving them alone to do that

Also, Capcom is trying to sell this game. And Itsuno works for Capcom, of course they're going to praise how much they like it. Do you really think they'll say bad things about it when they're trying to hype it up for release?

My point is that DmC's creation was more due to political going-ons in Capcom, not because the franchise wasn't doing well.

berto

I Saw the Devil
We are getting way off subject.

The fact is that DmC's future is up to it's sales figures, no different than any other Capcom title. It's gatta make enough money to justify a second one, another 3 years of development, of flying to California then to London and back to Tokyo for the key personnel again, to put up with more abuse and demands to release another DMC and not DmC. The money has to justify doing it again.

ThorAxe911

SSSensational!!!
I can see where NT are coming from but it would have been a lot better on another engine. Unreal is ok for TPS/FPS but not hack and slash games in my opinion.

I had no problems with the Unreal Engine in DmC. I've yet to encounter any stuttering or slow-downs. But then again I am playing it on the Xbox which has reportedly better performance than the PS3 version. I've always thought textures looked beautiful on the Unreal Engine and I feel like the engine really made the art style of DmC look super bad ass.

wwinterj

I had no problems with the Unreal Engine in DmC. I've yet to encounter any stuttering or slow-downs. But then again I am playing it on the Xbox which has reportedly better performance than the PS3 version. I've always thought textures looked beautiful on the Unreal Engine and I feel like the engine really made the art style of DmC look super bad ass.
Oh don't get me wrong it looks good but could be a lot better.

Fwelias

I think Capcom is looking at the long run for this game. They started off knowing that there would be a lot of hate for this game. Then they predict a 2 million sale for this game. DMC4 sold 2.4 mil if memory serves me right. And Capcom isn't good at predicting numbers anyway. They predicted 7 mil for RE6 but only made 6 mil. But anyway ya I think that they know DmC will sell less than DMC4 but are hoping that over these next couple of years people will pick up the game, find that it's good, and anticipate a sequel. They defiantly opened up the ending for a sequel so I suspect Capcom expects much higher sale numbers for the sequel.

ThorAxe911

SSSensational!!!
We are getting way off subject.

The fact is that DmC's future is up to it's sales figures, no different than any other Capcom title. It's gatta make enough money to justify a second one, another 3 years of development, of flying to California then to London and back to Tokyo for the key personnel again, to put up with more abuse and demands to release another DMC and not DmC. The money has to justify doing it again.

Yeah, it definitely does come down to sales. But in my opinion I would think they would be more willing to make a DmC2 before they jump back and make a DMC5. All the effort that was put into making this new reboot and to leave it at just one installment would seem kind of silly...but maybe that's just me being optimistic. I just really loved the game and I'd hate to see it die after just one game...(Vanquish, anyone?)

Frantix

That's my point, most of it was done by Ninja Theory and Itsuno barely did anything.

I never said that Ninja Theory was a pain to work with for Capcom. In fact I said exactly what this article is saying, they let Ninja Theory off the leash to make whatever instead of a DMC game.

Also, Capcom is trying to sell this game. And Itsuno works for Capcom, of course they're going to praise how much they like it. Do you really think they'll say bad things about it when they're trying to hype it up for release?

My point is that DmC's creation was more due to political going-ons in Capcom, not because the franchise wasn't doing well.

Capcom wanted them to make their version of DMC. That was the point, it was supposed to be unique, but still resemble a DMC game. They did a good job with it, but I can sense they didn't do so for you.

I'm not continuing this discussion. This is just getting ridiculous now.

ThorAxe911

SSSensational!!!
I think Capcom is looking at the long run for this game. They started off knowing that there would be a lot of hate for this game. Then they predict a 2 million sale for this game. DMC4 sold 2.4 mil if memory serves me right. And Capcom isn't good at predicting numbers anyway. They predicted 7 mil for RE6 but only made 6 mil. But anyway ya I think that they know DmC will sell less than DMC4 but are hoping that over these next couple of years people will pick up the game, find that it's good, and anticipate a sequel. They defiantly opened up the ending for a sequel so I suspect Capcom expects much higher sale numbers for the sequel.

I like your answer a lot :] What you said made a lot of sense... (btw nice Bleach avatar ;D)

Slacri

Capcom wanted them to make their version of DMC. That was the point, it was supposed to be unique, but still resemble a DMC game.
Are you even reading my posts at this point? I said they let them off the leash and let them make whatever they want pretty much. You're agreeing with my statements while trying to disagree with me here.

I'm all for developers having freedom but I think this is an example of going a bit too far here.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Yeah, it definitely does come down to sales. But in my opinion I would think they would be more willing to make a DmC2 before they jump back and make a DMC5. All the effort that was put into making this new reboot and to leave it at just one installment would seem kind of silly...but maybe that's just me being optimistic. I just really loved the game and I'd hate to see it die after just one game...(Vanquish, anyone?)
Yes! Someone mentioned Vanquish! . . .
. . .
. .
That is all. Carry on.

Frantix

Are you even reading my posts at this point? I said they let them off the leash and let them make whatever they want pretty much. You're agreeing with my statements while trying to disagree with me here.

Of course I did. I still get the sense you're antagonizing NT here -- making them sound as if they made some hobbled game and spouting nonsense in the press, while Capcom JPN was just pretending to go along with it even though they knew got a stinker on their hands. That's what you're making it sound like.

Slacri

Of course I did. I still get the sense you're antagonizing NT here -- making them sound as if they made some hobbled game and spouting nonsense in the press
They made Heavenly Sword 2 rather than Devil May Cry is my issue.
while Capcom JPN was just pretending to go along with it even though they knew got a stinker on their hands. That's what you're making it sound like.
My intent wasn't that, but I admit that my wording of "They had to send Itsuno to fix it" made it seems like that a bit. I've edited my mistake now.

Top Bottom