• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Likelihood of a DmC Sequel?

Will there be a DmC sequel?

• Yes

Votes: 40 87.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Total voters

ThorAxe911

SSSensational!!!
I really, really loved DmC. I've already clocked in hours and hours of gameplay time and I can't wait to get my hands on Vergils Downfall and the Bloody Palace DLC. But unfortunately I read somewhere that DmC isn't selling too well so far :/ What do you guys think the likelihood of a DmC sequel is? I would definitely buy it in a heartbeat :]

Dante47

It's sold fine.
It's only the first week, and I'm positive sales will improve by the end of this month.

As for the sequel, I'm sure Ninja Theory would be on board. Whether Capcom will let them, that's yet to be seen.
I'd like to think there will be.

Slacri

It's sold fine.
It's only the first week, and I'm positive sales will improve by the end of this month.
That remains to be seen. It's nearly impossible to tell whether how well it's sold or not. Even then what tiny scraps we do have point to the opposite.

JoshMoshes

DMC Aficionado
If it doesn't, it'll be official that Capcom never knew what to do with Devil May Cry to begin with. Wait...its too late for that. :troll:

Slacri

It's sold a third of what Devil May Cry 4 made in it's entirety only in it's first week.
That's under a million, Capcom expects double that.
I fail to see how that's demeaning to it's sales figures.
Because most of the people who were super hyped for it and anticipating it have already bought the game.

Dante47

That's under a million, Capcom expects double that.
Touche. I do sometimes forget this is Capcom we are dealing with.
Because most of the people who were super hyped for it and anticipating it have already bought the game.
It still fails to be seen if anyone will be converted from some of the more positive reviews, or swayed by those on Channel Awesome and Blistered Thumbs yet.

ThorAxe911

SSSensational!!!

My hopes are that since a lot of people were skeptical about the reboot of the DMC franchise once they see how well the game is doing critically they'll give the game a shot. Also, I think it would suck to reboot a franchise and only have one installment 0.o

Slacri

It still fails to be seen if anyone will be converted from some of the more positive reviews, or swayed by those on Channel Awesome and Blistered Thumbs yet.
This didn't work for Bayonetta. I don't think it'll work here, but again we have to wait for GameStop sales to be sure.

Slacri

Bayonetta is getting a sequel though?
Barely, and only due to Nintendo's generous offer of wanting some exclusives on the Wii U. Kaimya admitted that if not for Nintendo, there wouldn't be a Bayonetta 2 at all.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I'm not sure. I'd like a sequel, but only with these terms:
1. NT to make and be art designers for it.
2. Bring back the same actors because the faces of the characters were made to look like them, plus the voices.
3. Use the same stage and studio for doing mocap work to get the same movement quality.
4. Not handed back to Japanese makers because it loses the idea of bringing Western ideas to DMC and handing it to NT in the first place.

This is just me of course, so what about everyone else? ^_^

Winterfrost

Shadow-of-Sundered-Star
It's sold fine.

As for the sequel, I'm sure Ninja Theory would be on board. Whether Capcom will let them, that's yet to be seen.
I'd like to think there will be.
It's actually number one in UK Charts, passing FIFA 13.
http://www.latestnewsexplorer.com/devil-may-cry-debuts-at-no-1/
but as for sales wise, who knows..all we know is it passed FIFA 13, a really hard thing to do in UK.

Dante47

I'm not sure. I'd like a sequel, but only with these terms:
1. NT to make and be art designers for it.
2. Bring back the same actors because the faces of the characters were made to look like them, plus the voices.
3. Use the same stage and studio for doing mocap work to get the same movement quality.
4. Not handed back to Japanese makers because it loses the idea of bringing Western ideas to DMC and handing it to NT in the first place.

This is just me of course, so what about everyone else? ^_^
So... just have Ninja Theory take full control of the project?
I could get on board with that.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
So... just have Ninja Theory take full control of the project?
I could get on board with that.
I guess that's what I was going for.:lol: I didn't figure that was my overall message until I looked at what I typed just now. So, yeah, I guess NT doing what they did for this game, but with combat help from Capcom.

Winterfrost

Shadow-of-Sundered-Star
Wait one quick question though: Timeline wise it goes, DMC3, DMC1, DMC4, DMC2
correct?
So, if they are doing timeline wise it would be DMC4 characters, possibly story) after DmC.
DmC
DmC2 (DMC4)
..am I making sense? o_O

berto

I Saw the Devil
It's odd but in one of the discussions on GT.com they were discussing the possibility that this reboot was not a choice that came from a need or even a desire fora reboot but rather an internal politics scenario that pushed capcom into it, mostly it was because it didn't need a reboot yet. The franchise was not doing poorly and it certainly wasn't an unpopular franchise. The thing is that Inafune pushed for a reboot, but, again, not because it needed it but because he had more faith in western gaming than Japanese, that led him to push Capcom to pursuit branching out their franchises. Without the influence of Inafune DmC might be left on it's own to be continued, mostly it's financial success since critical reception seems to no longer be enough.

Slacri

It's odd but in one of the discussions on GT.com they were discussing the possibility that this reboot was not a choice that came from a need or even a desire fora reboot but rather an internal politics scenario that pushed capcom into it, mostly it was because it didn't need a reboot yet. The franchise was not doing poorly and it certainly wasn't an unpopular franchise. The thing is that Inafune pushed for a reboot, but, again, not because it needed it but because he had more faith in western gaming than Japanese, that led him to push Capcom to pursuit branching out their franchises. Without the influence of Inafune DmC might be left on it's own to be continued, mostly it's financial success since critical reception seems to no longer be enough.
I agree, I'm going to copy and paste my post that I put in the other sub-forum.

DMC4 was the best selling game in the franchise when it was released, but a lot of factors came into play.

Itsuno wanted to make his own series, Dragon's Dogma.

It is true that Capcom management surely wanted more sales, but their thinking was somewhat backwards. 2 million people bought DMC3 on the PS2, so they thought DMC4 would sell 4 million ( 2 on 360 and PS3 . Perhaps they didn't say this, but I'm sure they had some stupid idea in there to say "This is inadequate", as that is what they've been doing to constantly be losing their best developers.

Itsuno wanted to stop making DMC series and work on his own, which became Dragon's Dogma.

Keji Inafune became Capcom's general manger, and he saw bad habits. ( I get paid at the end of the week, so why try hard?) in Capcom Japan. He thinks western developers are more hungry and will try harder = he outsources IP's to be made by western developers. Some are successful ( Dead Rising 1 and 2, 2D Bionic Commando games ) and some flopped ( 3D Bionic Commando game and Dark Void ).

Keji also sees that DMC4 was not up to quality, as it was a rushed product (really the Capcom management wanted money NOW instead of taking time to make the game great in the first place). Game is rushed, 1st half stages are reused for 2nd half, filler dice game etc.

He sees Ninja Theory can do good writing because they hired contract movie-script writers for Heavenly Sword & Enslaved games, and green lights the project. They are hired to remake DMC.

Keji Inafune leaves Capcom.

Nobody at Capcom puts a leash on Ninja Theory, where Tameem Antoniades makes his dream game Heavenly Sword 2.0 instead of DMC 5.0. Once the game is practically done, Itsuno is sent to oversee the combat with duct tape and glue with the engine that already exists.

Top Bottom