• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Let's talk about the Tokusatsu genre

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Sadly I'm caught up with Sentai but the last Rider show I saw was Build. I guess since Zenkaiger isn't hitting me I should catch up on KR. Honestly I want to see part 2 of Yodanna. The Kiramager spin off.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
So part two of Yodonna was great. Zenkaiger is still boring me to tears. And this next Sentai has turned me off. Maybe I'm too set in my ways but SS isn't the same anymore which is sad because despite its flaws Kiramager grabbed me good!
Also the Black Ranger is totally Morgana lol. "Go to bed!" :D

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Shameless shilling incoming! Soooo I made a youtube video. What's the video about you ask? Well... I made a English Fan Dub of Japanese Spider-Man.
Yup you read that right, so care to check it out and give my video a like?
Shilling over now.

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
284266217_7636976906342495_577300908806947304_n.jpg

Practically this is memory now as game that had Kamen Rider collab is dead but really i rulled that card game with my KR themed deck that times

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
Okay i know some news related to Kamen Rider tokusatsu series as apparently in JP just now been registered name for new show named Kamen Rider GEATS. More info soon to follow

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
So I made episode 2 of JPN Spider-Man. This is a fan dub/abridged version of the show I'm producing on youtube. I would love everyone's thoughts and honest critiques on. Tell me what I can do to improve the episodes.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
As someone whose favourite Showa Rider is Black, you've no idea how hyped for this I am... o_O

berto

I Saw the Devil
There's a 24/7 channel called TokuSHOUTsu on Pluto. Been checking that out. More for discovery than anything since just about all the shows from 2017 and back are on Tubi.

It's kinda funny. When I was a kid I really dug Power Rangers and all my friends and classmates gave me grief for it. I didn't talk about it but the fact that i did, alone, was a point of contention. One day a kinda friend flat out asked me why I even liked the show. I told him that it really was the acrobatics and the martial arts and there was this sort of 'oh, ok, that makes sense' from the people around. It certainly wasn't the plots or the afterschool messages at the end of every episode. I thought they were dumb as hell. Because of that, though, I do go back to check out some of the Japanese media every now and then and I don't mind the goofiness of it all. Maybe because I got used to it and aren't as critical of it but it's still ironic that I was more critical of such things as a child than as an adult.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
@berto

That is an interesting take on why you like Tokusatsu programs. The fighting scenes are really the draw so that part makes sense lol. I think that is the beauty of these shows you can turn your brain off and just pose with the heroes in your room like a dork. Plus the giant robots, it hits that Godzilla fix juuuuuusssst right.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
I'm sorry about the double post but I got a few toku thoughts on the brain.

1st. I picked up Shout Factory's Release of "Kamen Rider Kuuga." Honesty I'm disappointed so far. Granted I'm only a few episodes in but... it just hasn't grabbed me yet. Love that early 2000's look though. (God i am old.)

Zenkaiger is done. Hilarious transformation scenes but very poor story. I actually dropped the show half way only to resume it much, much later. (No Sentai has ever made me do that before) But I did enjoy the suits.
Although I'm afraid the Pink Ranger has brought a new kink to my attention... Akagi from Akibaranger would be proud...

I picked up Kamen Rider Zi-O again to. It's typical Rider fair so far. Honesty modern toku shows need pretty women cast members in order to keep me watching. I refer to it as the "Master Roshi effect." Lucky Zi-O has a pretty female lead so win/win.

In Power Rangers news we are getting a MMPR Season 2 type show! Custom Ryusouger suits mixed with mech fights from another Sentai show. (Kyuranger) OK I'll stop ranting now haha.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
1st. I picked up Shout Factory's Release of "Kamen Rider Kuuga." Honesty I'm disappointed so far. Granted I'm only a few episodes in but... it just hasn't grabbed me yet. Love that early 2000's look though. (God i am old.)
IMO Kuuga is one of the Heisei era shows that really shows it’s age in places and in general isn’t as memorable outside of being the one to revive interest in the franchise.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
IMO Kuuga is one of the Heisei era shows that really shows it’s age in places and in general isn’t as memorable outside of being the one to revive interest in the franchise.

I see that. But at the same time I'm surprised that this is the show that brought Rider back. It's violent and talk heavy for a kids show. (It's more violent than typical Toku fair at that time I mean. Excluding any special movies at said time) I would think kids would be bored of the cop drama stuff and only focus when Kuuga appears.
Their is so much wasted time in Kuuga to. We get it, you have 30 mins of air time, at least make them exciting. Kuuga himself (as of now. Not finished yet) feels like an after thought and yeah... I just don't like the show.
But at least the suit is slick and hey a Rider who actually uses his bike! It is the little things ya know.

Top Bottom