• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Let's talk about the Tokusatsu genre

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
While it was an anime, these past few months I've been watching an anime called "SSSS.Gridman" - a spiritual successor to both "Denkou Choujin Gridman" and it's American interpretation "Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad".

Man, what an absolute love letter to all things Tokusatsu. From the references to its predecessors to the way the Kaiju fights are shot as if they were people in rubber suits fighting... it was such a joy to watch each week and I'd highly recommend it to any Gridman lovers. You can find it streaming on Crunchyroll. :thumbsup:

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
I've heard good things about the new Gridman and I really have to watch it. I'm assuming that the entire show is on Crunchyroll at this time yes? Cyber Squad wow! That takes me back, now reboot Tattooed teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills and we'll have ourselves a American-Toku kaboom!

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium
I want to throw out a poll to the denizens of this thread. Which is your favorite Sentai, or which one do you recommend the most?

Mine is Bakuryuu Sentai Abaranger. It's an emotional rollercoaster with clever writing from people who really care about the series.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Abaranger is very good, but nothing will top my all time favourite - Choujin Sentai Jetman. :thumbsup:

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
For Sentai I'd say Megaranger. It is a good mix of goofy, serialization, and consistent story telling. (for the time) The suits aren't over the top, the weapons are standard, (Drill Saber is the best weapon ever) and four solid if a little boring giant robots gives a new viewer a basic idea of the she's concept.

For Power Rangers, Season 1 of MMPR because well duh.

For Kamen Rider..... I want to say Fourze. It's simple good vs evil story. A good rag-tag group of heroes and a decent assortment of power ups.

Ultraman: I would say Ginga for a feel of modern Ultraman. But Ultraman (original) for old school TV Tokusatsu.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Oh, as for other Tokusatsu shows my favourites are:

Power Rangers RPM: A really interesting take that was fresh but well executed and ultimately different from the source material.

Ultraman Orb: Pretty much encapsulates everything Ultraman should be - interesting hero, endearing supporting cast and a well developed villain.

Kamen Rider W: A perfect blend of noir detective and superhero show, the relationships between the characters were handled just perfectly.

SSSS.Gridman: Just throwing this in here for being my favourite non-K.Rider/Sentai/Ultraman Tokusatsu show. :D

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium
*jotting notes down furiously*
Very well....just..writing something for...a..friend...kamen rider...w...

currently making my way through Kyoryuger. On the outset I didn't enjoy it all that much, but closing on on ep. 20 WOW has this show grown on me.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
@Xeroxis I love Kyoryuger. Yes I admit it is the "Daigo show starring the other Kyoryuger" but the "jolliness" of the team grows on ya. My biggest gripe with the show is the lack of unique weapons amongest the Rangers. I think Kyoryuger is a good example of modern Sentai, very flashy, lots of gimmicks and toys, and Candirella is a treasure.
Watch the Kyoryuger Summer Movie, you'll thank me later.

@lorddemolatron I saw the game reveal on Youtube. The ad was right, this is the game PR fans have been waiting for. Heck the fact that Super Megaforce Yellow is on the cover gives me hope that many teams will be thrown into the game. Gold Zeo Ranger VS SPD Shadow Ranger would make me giggle like a school girl!

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
Having to revive possible thread by this news as that could be possible look onto new KR Zero One :

66882344_10156799704494862_6246018883845619712_n.jpg

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Boy it's been forever since I've posted here. But alas I fell out of Sentai/Rider and I haven't had that spark to catch up with the current shows. However, the Metal Hero show MegaBeast Investigator Juspion was released in the US (subs only) and since I like this show I bought the Blu-ray! I guess that has been my only superhero show as of late. I need to get back into the genre and soon!

Top Bottom