• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Kong: Skull Island

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Here's the trailer:

The cast seems really good and the atmosphere is definitely there but goddammit I soooo don't like they're seemingly making Kong bipedal again! It's cheesy as hell. THIS is the kind of Kong I wanna see:

king-kong-poster.jpg

An actual (oversized) gorilla, standing on his four. Sigh... Well, I hope he will come off as badass regardless... I just can't see it in that dumb looking bipedal stance...

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Damn Kong got big!!

Who knows, maybe he's just standing bipedal for certain things like reaching for the choppers and what not, but he may be on all 4s while he's on the move.

Still while I'm pumped for this movie, I'm more excited to see him go up against Godzilla.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I hope they don't get lazy with this film, and just make it solely to set up Godzilla vs King Kong in 2020.
I always have, and always will, like Godzilla 1000X times more then I like Kong, but I still want this film to be enjoyable aswell.
I hope they take one out of Gareth Edward's book and keep it open to latter films, but give it there all to make this one satisfying.
Gareth actually said that, they wanted him to give Godzilla a ending setting up for a sequel, and he refused.
Though he wanted to keep the possibility open, he was more concerned with making sure the 2014 film was good, so it could work as a standalone movie.
Gotta say though, of all these new monster movies planned.
I'm most excited about Godzilla 2 in 2018.
It's basically gonna be a remake of Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster. With Godzila, Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah.
It's one of my favorites of the earlier Godzilla films, and Ghidorah's one of my favorite Godzilla monsters.
I'm excited how they'll pull off a design for a three-headed dragon and make it look realistic, also if the cinematography is anything like the 2014 film, with how it showed the size of the monsters, Ghidorah, who's always been much larger then Godzilla, is gonna look massive.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Yeah well, Godzilla never did it for me.

Kong I like infinitely more, cause I've always liked the theme of primitiveness, survival and dominance in a wild and hostile environment. I thought Peter Jackson's remake handled that kind of atmosphere incredibly well, I loved his depiction of the island and its inhabitants (animals and humans) and with this movie being called Skull Island, I expect that kind of vibe again.

Plus I also prefer Kong cause he comes across as a badass more expressively, cause you know, being a gorilla he's capable of that. I mean, whereas Godzilla's most iconic depiction is just him walking slowly and shooting his lazor, Kong smashing a VRex's jaw and roaring his dominance as the King of the island bumping his chest stood out more for me.

dz8bag.png

I'm just worried about how they're gonna depict him here. His portrayal in Jackson's film was near perfect in my opinion, also thanks to Andy Serkis' excellent mocap performance, here I'm kinda worried. I mean, whereas he does look badass in that shot where he's snorting angrily, there's also that shot where he stands in that cheesy looking bipedal position... I hope it's like how Mux said, and he's gonna be on his four most of the time.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
In the film poster we can see the new Kong's face. And...

13731016_314776992194056_8910841053805208136_o.jpg

OKAY. He looks badass. He looks cool. I'm relieved, when they didn't show his face in the trailer I thought they didn't cause it was horrible and they were ashamed of it, LOL.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I like Godzilla more because he's more then an animal, he's a force of nature, mankind can't stop him, only survive him.

And dude, Godzilla prying MUTO's jaws open, breathing atomic breath straight down her throat so it decapitates her, and roaring in triumph, is the definition of badass.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
The thing is, Godzilla, with its association with Japanese cheesy monsters, never interested me in terms of the theme. As I said, I love tales of primal survival in a hostile environment, and that, coupled with Kong's more... eh, how to say it... "relatable" (?) kind of badassness (I mean, he's a gorilla, I can relate to how he acts and fights way more cause it's based on a real animal... find me an animal that can shoot an atomic laser from its mouth XD) is what makes me like him more.

As for the crossover with Godzilla, he seems big enough to confront the monster in this movie (he sure is way, waaaay bigger than his traditional size), and I'm glad they're making him this way from the start date instead of having to come up with a potentially super cheesy way to make him massive. How did they do it in the old movie, radiation? Experiments? I don't remember.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
The thing is, Godzilla, with its association with Japanese cheesy monsters, never interested me in terms of the theme.
You should watch the original, from 1954. It and the 2014 film were both disaster films disguised as monster movies (Though all the films in between were cheezy, I will admit).
The theme was man vs nature, Godzilla represented natures wrath against man-kind for the atomic bomb.
EDIT: Have you seen the 2014 film? Godzilla does fight like an animal for the most part, he only uses his "laser", it's called 'atomic breath' dude, as a last resort. He bites, he charges, he uses his tail.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
It and the 2014 film were both disaster films disguised as monster movies

That makes them even less interesting to me, never been into disaster movies.

Godzilla represented natures wrath against man-kind for the atomic bomb.

I know. But that's not the theme I said above I love. Kong fits more with me, with its jungle setting actually showing how modern men would fare in a place like that, where surviving is incredibly tough, as opposed to Kong himself who is more primal-tempered, in a mysterious lost world that was thought to be extinct. It's that primal, bygone era atmosphere that I find irresistible. Hard to explain, but I'm sure you get it.

One of the reasons I'm excited for this movie. It's called Skull Island after all, and the trailer shows that that atmosphere I was talking about will be a focus.

Have you seen the 2014 film? Godzilla does fight like an animal for the most part, he only uses his "laser", it's called 'atomic breath' dude, as a last resort.

Yeah yeah, but it still is a giant lizard-like creature that can shoot an atomic ray from its mouth. I just... not my cup of tea. I just prefer the simpler, more... "relatable" and "grounded" (relatively speaking of course... take those words with a grain... no, a rock of salt) giant gorilla concept. Cause it fits well with the theme of primitiveness I was talking about. Matter of tastes.

Last edited:

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
That makes them even less interesting to me, never been into disaster movies.

I know. But that's not the theme I said above I love. Kong fits more with me, with its jungle setting actually showing how modern men would fare in a place like that, where surviving is incredibly tough, as opposed to Kong himself who is more primal-tempered, in a mysterious lost world that was thought to be extinct. It's that primal, bygone era atmosphere that I find irresistible. Hard to explain, but I'm sure you get it.

One of the reasons I'm excited for this movie. It's called Skull Island after all, and the trailer shows that that atmosphere I was talking about will be a focus.

Yeah yeah, but it still is a giant lizard-like creature that can shoot an atomic ray from its mouth. I just... not my cup of tea. I just prefer the simpler, more... "relatable" and "grounded" (relatively speaking of course... take those words with a grain... no, a rock of salt) giant gorilla concept. Cause it fits well with the theme of primitiveness I was talking about. Matter of tastes.
Okay fair enough.....No hard feelings when Godzilla wins in the 2020 movie? :p

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Hopefully this new film will be better than Peter Jackson's remake. Not saying it was bad, it was decent, but cutting out at least 45 minutes of that film would have benefited it more.

And Godzilla has also always been more fun to me. Has a King Kong movie ever done this?!

Undeniable proof that Godzilla is superior and the real King of Monsters.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Dude, I swear to God. If they pull out the "first enemies, then allies" stuff in Kong vs Godzilla too, I'm gonna freak out. I wanna see those two beat the ever loving crap out of each other till either Kong snaps Godzilla's neck or Godzilla incinerates Kong.

No quarter given, no team up ****!

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I think it's gonna be a case of who's more popular just like Batman and Superman.

Batman is clearly more liked than Superman nowadays, Batman is more profitable and relateable than Superman and Bats is getting movies, games and comics out the ass while Superman's most stand out moment these days at least as far as I'm concerned was when he rammed his fist through Joker's chest and I haven't seen anything else worth giving a damn about since for Superman.

I think Kong and Godzilla is more of a case of Batman and Superman, one of them is grounded, vulnerable and relateable and the other is basically full of power and damn near unstoppable.
I think Kong is more likely to be the Batman of the 2 cause Kong is more expressive and can communicate and relate with the audience more, we all felt something when we saw him fall from the State Building so he's more likely to build a connection with the audience.
Where as Godzilla is more like the Superman to me, he's one hell of a powerhouse who you KNOW is gonna kick the living hell out of who ever he goes up against, therefor we'll expect him to win and we'll be surprised when Kong gets the upper hand and takes the win.

But it's gonna be down to The Studio who is obviously gonna see if Kong or Godzilla makes them more money and which ever does will win the fight and get more movies made and they'll just resurrect the other some way when it's time to give him another shot.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I think it's gonna be a case of who's more popular just like Batman and Superman.

Batman is clearly more liked than Superman nowadays, Batman is more profitable and relateable than Superman and Bats is getting movies, games and comics out the ass while Superman's most stand out moment these days at least as far as I'm concerned was when he rammed his fist through Joker's chest and I haven't seen anything else worth giving a damn about since for Superman.

I think Kong and Godzilla is more of a case of Batman and Superman, one of them is grounded, vulnerable and relateable and the other is basically full of power and damn near unstoppable.
I think Kong is more likely to be the Batman of the 2 cause Kong is more expressive and can communicate and relate with the audience more, we all felt something when we saw him fall from the State Building so he's more likely to build a connection with the audience.
Where as Godzilla is more like the Superman to me, he's one hell of a powerhouse who you KNOW is gonna kick the living hell out of who ever he goes up against, therefor we'll expect him to win and we'll be surprised when Kong gets the upper hand and takes the win.

But it's gonna be down to The Studio who is obviously gonna see if Kong or Godzilla makes them more money and which ever does will win the fight and get more movies made and they'll just resurrect the other some way when it's time to give him another shot.
Kong "won" in the first Godzilla vs King Kong, purely because he was the more popular monster at the time.
That wont happen this time

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

That's because you aren't a fan, nor keep up with Superman. If you ask me, I think it's easier to relate to Superman than Batsy because despite being an alien, he still shows more humanity than Bats for the most part. He's just a man, albeit super.

Batman getting so much attention is unfair because they have made him one of the most uninteresting DC heroes ever. The last time Batman has been interesting was in the Animated series, some Grant Morrison comics, and believe it or not LEGO Batman.

It's both awesome and a shame that LEGO Batman is more interesting than the contemporary Batman of the comics. He's a parody of the dark and gritty stereotype the character has basically coined, but at the same time his own character with a fun personality.

Batman doesn't deserve the attention he gets.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@Chancey289
Oh no dude, not AGAIN. Jesus Christ, are you seriously ranting about Batman again? My God, I swear, for someone who's always on a rant about Batman, you seem to be as obsessed with that topic as Batman is with himself. WTF. We get it, he gets too much attention, he's a bitch, he's the least interesting character ever made by mankind, blah blah blah, always the same stuff. You know, we don't suffer from low memory problems, you said that crap a hundred times, we get it.

Can we talk about this movie and stuff related to it?

Top Bottom