• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Kamiya Dante VS Itsuno Dante

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
Not really a vs thread. Just a thread to discuss kamiyas original vision for dante and what itsuno reinvented him to be because as far as ive been able to tell DMC1 dante was supposed to be "CCCool" instead of "SSStylish!" Like DMC3! dante onward. What i mean by this is he seemed much more laid back and while enemies didnt scare him in the least he made much less of a point of humiliating them and even more than that he seemed to hold at least some sort of respect for bosses like phantom, griffen, and nelo angelo.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I could write a whole thesis on this matter, and people here know that I would, too, so I'll just leave it at Kamiya's Dante is my personal favorite but I don't credit all of him to just Kamiya, I think Shinji Mikami had a huge part in his presence, too.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I like both, and do note have preference of one over the other. The only interpretations I actively disliked were 2 & the anime. 2, which Itsuno had nothing to do with characterization turned him in to Vampire Hunter D. The anime just made everyone near unlikable asshats, even if you go with the whole Dante is still depressed theory. The only good thing about the DMC anime is that it looks like a masterpiece by comparison to the Bayonetta anime.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I think Shinji Mikami had a huge part in his presence, too

You might be more right than even you think. When Kamiya saw the DMC3 Dante incarnation, he commented that it still wasn't wild enough, and kept giving outlandish suggestions for the character. So it's pretty safe to say that if Mikami hadn't been involved, the game would have wound up with a Bayonetta level of batshit nutty Dante, with only Kamiya at the reins.

On topic, Itsuno always made it clear in interviews that with DMC3 he wanted to make a fresh new start for the series, and that included Dante as well. And considering the fact that with that game the character got to be at its most complex, even to this day, I'd say it's one of those rare cases where the original is surpassed.

Not that DMC1 Dante is a bad character or anything, but it's not like he goes through as much of an arc or development. That version is also tainted by bad voice acting, like every character in DMC1 for that matter, which doesn't help.

4 is another story, that Dante was fun to watch but his almost total lack of serious moments didn't sit well with a lot of people, understandably. Those were very much present in 1 and 3 (of course without descending into deadpan lifeless boredom of DMC2 memory), but at the same time the game was about Nero and Dante was relegated to a side character.

Yet 5 features a Dante that's the closest he's ever been to his 1 incarnation, only better acted and featuring the more lighthearted, boss-humiliating, confident taunting that the fans have loved ever since 3.

As for the anime, I honestly don't know about its development and therefore I'm unaware of how much of a say Itsuno had in that one, but everyone knows the general consensus about that version, and the headcanon constructed around it to try and justify it.

Goldsickle

My first impression of Kamiya's Dante back then was that I called him "B-Grade Man".

The whole thing with Dante sobbing at Trish's "death" will always be the number one most awkward moment in the entire Devil May Cry series.
Plus the whole "Imma leave this super demonic heirloom sword next to this corpse that looks like my mom".

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I prefer DMC3 Dante to DMC1's portrayal. Granted we spend time with Itsuno/Bingo's take on him and 3 has better production values so its more rememberable.

I'm probably not the right person to answer because DMC3 was my first DMC game.

Itsuno's Dante does start to loose his luster post DMC3. That may be because they didn't know what to do with him as a character post DMC1. Hindsight 20/20 I'd probably would have just stay with young Dante post DMC3 but before DMC1. It might have given them more of a chance to figure him out. Plus its a good ten years which alot can happen.

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
DMC1 Dante all the way for me, plus the first novel version if you want to consider them as the same thing.

That's what I see in my mind when I think of Dante.

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
I could write a whole thesis on this matter, and people here know that I would, too, so I'll just leave it at Kamiya's Dante is my personal favorite but I don't credit all of him to just Kamiya, I think Shinji Mikami had a huge part in his presence, too.
Actually mikami had little involvement whit dmc 1 since he was only producer, he decided other things but I don't think dante personality...

As for the thread I like both dante, but dmc 1 dante still remain different and unique, also I don't know why but dmc 1 dante is more vulnerable in term of combat , while I think the itsuno dante is more overpowered and less vulnerable even in dmc 3 i had the feeling that he can defeat anything in his path while dmc 1 dante feel a bit "different"

Last edited:

ReaperHunter

Follow me to Apex
Premium
DMC1 is my favorite Dante. Although considering how wacky Bayonetta is, I think it would be fair to assume that Dante's antics would have been cranked up regardless of whether or not Kamiya stayed in charge of the series.

Meg

I love Itsuno's Dante and think he's a lot of fun. However, I would also love a future game with Dante returning to his DMC1 personality. I doubt it will ever happen (not just because Nero is likely to be the sole protagonist of any future game) because DMC3-5 Dante is too popular. It's a shame too because Dante becoming more mature and composed like how he is in DMC1 would be welcome character development.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Over the years I've heard people say that Dante in DMC1 was shallow but the truth is that in 2001 games of that kind didn't get the cutscene length that you got from higher budget games. Just because it didn't show in the cutscenes doesn't mean that they didn't have a story or motivations for their characters. In fact, I've posted all of the official works that talk about Dante's story in 1 a few times over.

Actually mikami had little involvement whit dmc 1 since he was only producer, he decided other things but I don't think dante personality...
That might what has been said but the game has a lot of parallels with other capcom games like RE and its remake, RE2, Dino Crisis and Onimusha, and I mean a lot, and the only key person that's been involved in all those projects is Shinji Mikami. Add to that that all of the characters and games Kamiya has made without Mikami have less in common with DMC1 and Dante than the one he has.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I'm probably not the right person to answer because DMC3 was my first DMC game.

Oh what the heck man. What's that supposed to mean. Where you started out in the franchise doesn't invalidate your opinions. If you're implying that you may be talking out of nostalgia, that can be said for anyone else's starting point as well, including DMC1.

It's not like you're only ever a "true fan" of a series if you start out with the first installment of anything.

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
My first dmc was dmc 2 bro, I started whit that awkward dante
Than I played dmc 3 than 1 than 4 than watched the anime than played dmc at day one and dmc 5 at day one, so don't worry if you do not started from dmc 1, just express yourself

Dio Brando

Oh what the heck man. What's that supposed to mean. Where you started out in the franchise doesn't invalidate your opinions. If you're implying that you may be talking out of nostalgia, that can be said for anyone else's starting point as well, including DMC1.

It's not like you're only ever a "true fan" of a series if you start out with the first installment of anything.
alot of people started off with DmC
i looked up the timline and played it in order so 3 was my first then 1 then 4 then after about 2 years then 5
i skipped 2 because it didnt feel right when i played it i played DmC afterwards and was very dissapointed but im not going to start the contravery

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

I didn't mean to say anything about being "a true fan". I just meant I have a different bias/perspective than other fans.

Top Bottom