• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Just How Much Does DMC 3 Rip Off Inuyasha?

NessPSI

Tony Redgraaaave!
The color schemes refer to the the red oni-blue oni dichotomy, as well as red being the hero's color.
edit: I got ninjad

I literally just got done watching an episode Inuyasha like 30 minutes ago, and yah. The similarities are pretty glaring Although i'm sure most of it comes from the fact that DMC3 and Inuyasha both use some of the same mythos like the red oni and blue oni story. Combined with all the the anime tropes mixed in, im not surprised.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
@WolfOD64
Would those even count as ripoffs since those could just be sources of inspirations.
An inspiration comes from a visual or character motif you admired in another work, and admit to utilizing in your own. Take Hellsing's Alucard, for instance: He has the same guns, coat, and glasses as Vash the Stampede from Trigun...and that's why the author, Kouta Hirano, has made an excessive effort to mention Trigun as a profound inspiration for Alucard's design. That's what separates a touch of inspiration from an outright copy-paste job like Dante. Because even then, those are just visual influences. Dante has literal character motives and traits ripped clean from a well of other characters from anime and Japanese media.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
^ This guy gets it.

And he doesn't let his love for DMC4 blind his critical side, either; which is something most... fans seem to be incapable of doing.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
An inspiration comes from a visual or character motif you admired in another work, and admit to utilizing in your own. Take Hellsing's Alucard, for instance: He has the same guns, coat, and glasses as Vash the Stampede from Trigun...and that's why the author, Kouta Hirano, has made an excessive effort to mention Trigun as a profound inspiration for Alucard's design. That's what separates a touch of inspiration from an outright copy-paste job like Dante. Because even then, those are just visual influences. Dante has literal character motives and traits ripped clean from a well of other characters from anime and Japanese media.
Ditto.

And the thing is, this post is mainly an observation being pointed out. I still dig DMC 3. I don't think this post implies in any way that I don't like the game.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Same. It's my favorite game in the series.

Unfortunately, anything less than fanatical, glowing praise means that your head will immediately get thrown onto the chopping block if you so much as hesitate about deviating from the norm.

Meg

^ This guy gets it.

And he doesn't let his love for DMC4 blind his critical side, either; which is something most... fans seem to be incapable of doing.

Unfortunately, anything less than fanatical, glowing praise means that your head will immediately get thrown onto the chopping block if you so much as hesitate about deviating from the norm.
Bruh.

We get the point.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I still dig DMC 3. I don't think this post implies in any way that I don't like the game.
You disgusting heathens offend me. You ain't never coming to MY quadrant of the Lylat System with such abysmal taste.

Now, now...that kind of thing only really happens on sites like Devil's Lair, as experience has often taught me. It may sound surprising, but the climate around these forums is relatively tamer, and people around here tend to be a lot more docile and rational towards other opinions...

...things I never dreamed I'd say about the Devil May Cry fanbase, and yet here we are.

And he doesn't let his love for DMC4 blind his critical side,
Back to topic, it's actually interesting you brought up DMC4, because that's actually a rare instance where the devs did cite an outside inspiration...and that's Super Dimension Fortress Macross. I distinctly remember reading a pre-release interview with Itsuno on how he wanted the weapon Pandora to transform into this hulking colossus of a weapon that would literally be bigger than Dante himself, just like the Macross warship.

The end result was the terminally-badass PF594: Argument form.

Don't know what inspired them to come up with all that bondage stuff for Lucifer though....I mean, I could name a few unsavory anime that could've provided it, but that would reveal a bit more of what I, um...do in the rest of my spare time. :whistle:

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I've been aware of those similarities ever since I played DMC3, they've never really bothered me honestly
lol, I've actually seen it made a joke of a couple of times
skip to around 5:30
But hold up, I'm pretty sure DMC3 had been around for years before Sesshoumaru's sword was able to cut dimensions

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I can't comment as no matter how many times I've tried, I just can't get into Inuyasha.

It's the same with Berserk and Rurouni Kenshin I'm afraid.

But you commented to say that you couldn't comment. I don't get your logic. And with that, I can't comment either. I'm out.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
But you commented to say that you couldn't comment. I don't get your logic. And with that, I can't comment either. I'm out.
I'm afraid the only contribution I could've made to this thread, I'd already posted in the "What are you thinking" thread, when Chancey first brought up the topic prior to making this thread.

But since I have nothing else to say I might as well put it here:
Chancey said:
One sports a red color scheme while the other sports a more cool blue-ish scheme. (Granted this could be just Japan's thing of separating heroes and villains in general with the whole "red is the heroes color" stuff)
I said:
First, you're right that the hero gets to wear red. Very common, even Power Rangers has it as a carryover with the leader being the red ranger.
Second, the Red vs Blue comes from an old folk story of the Red Oni and the Blue Oni. The Red Oni was emotional yet kind to humans and eventually accepted by them. The Blue Oni was intelligent but stoic, still he sacrificed himself to protect the Red Oni's happiness. (Vergil preventing Dante from trying to save him from falling into Hell.)

berto

I Saw the Devil
First of all, there seems to be a running thing that Sesshomaru is wearing blue. He's wearing a white with red kimono with armor. His hair might be a tad blue but it's just shading for the white.

Has anyone in the develop team of DMC3 ever even mentioned InuYasha. It's not like they've ever shied away from what influenced them or where they get ideas from nor would they lie if asked. It's a simple matter of similar archetypes and Dante and Vergil fall under the good and evil twins, not the red headed step child and the son of the main house. Besides, each similarity has an explanation that is either similar to InuYasha's but it's still unrelated. Why is he wearing red? So A) he can stick out on screen, B) because it's the official main good guy/lead power ranger color in Japan, and C) it's symbolic of his fiery personality. Why is Vergil blue? A) He is Dante's arch nemesis/opposite, and B) it's symbolic of his cool and collected attitude. Those aren't even just restricted to Japan, they follow similar archetypes because there are similarities between the two. They're not that unique to begin with.

Top Bottom