• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Just how is the game slow?

ChaserTech

i guess calling people fags is cool..... but the issue here is proper combo video comparisons even though some of these same true style players have done DmCvids as well regardless while the game is fluid and fun its slower pro video or not especially to people who play gamed like umvc3 or dmc3 all the time

...I just explained on why this game isn't that fluid.

Valcorn

Of course it's slower, there's no need to argue. But it's not that slow, it's not just "Japanese arcade" speed lol

ChaserTech

Wow, I'm sorry... Jesus f*cking Christ. Lemme just go die in a hole or something.

Like I said before, I'm sorry that I had to call you out on that. But I couldn't let that slide.

I used to play competitive smash with several of my friends (I normally played Melee and Brawl but I preferred Melee) And whenever I do advanced tech in Melee, since it's the most technical of the three current smash games, I work hard to perfect my skill. Now, hearing someone saying that I'm cheating because I spent about 5-6 years honing my tech skills in a competitive game is degrading. And I don't approve of it at all.

So before the next time you say something like that, please think about it first and acknowledge the time that people put in acquiring skill to execute advanced techniques.

8BitHero

Scrub
I saw that video awhile back and honestly, it isn't fluid. Or at least not as fluid as the previous games.

Certain transitions between Dante's attacks are more inconsistent than others. The only time when I feel as if combat is fluid is when I do a regular combo that is preprogrammed within the game (Combo A, Combo B etc.) But if you're switching between other attacks, Dante will immediately snap into the initial animated sequence for that move. Rather than smoothly transitioning to it. But in DMC4, (almost) no matter what, Dante had a transition between every attack which blended fairly well together. And this is with Dante's current weapons and styles in DMC4 compared to Dante's demo moveset.

No turbo mode, played on a console.

As I stated before, Rebellion doesn't seem to have any weight behind it when Dante swings his sword. The only weapon that feels at if it has weight to it is Arbiter since it's a heavy weapon. There are a lot of inconsistency between Dante attacking since there is a lot of pausing between attacks. Like when you use Osiris, it "feels" slow because Dante has to wind-up a lot of his attacks. But truthfully, it's not that slow. It's just has inconsistent pacing that feels slow.

That's why I don't like DmC's gameplay. It's not consistent and it feels really clunky to me when I play it at a high level during the demo. Inputs are sometimes poorly read (like charging E&I for example), auto lock on forces me to target an enemy that I didn't want to target, and etc.
For me it's not that that combat on-screen is awkward. It's that buffering/inputs are awkward. Like I was saying before on the other thread and that NT should take in our constructive feedback and fix the buffering. I don't find the combat to be sluggish, just buffering and inputs. It's closer to DMC3 than DMC4.

The "problem" (if you want to call it that) is that DMC4 allowed you to cancel anything(almost). With DmC you have to wait for the animation to finish/almost be finished to cancel it. You can't swing Rebellion and then cancel out the first few frames quickly but wait for it to finish attacking. That's why it feels slow. I REALLY dislike buffering charge shot. In order to buffer charge shot you need to have Dante NOT in an animation. An example here:
(Plugging my channel)
At 0:12 I had to purposefully leave Dante in the recovery animation of Demon launch. During these few recovery frames I had to input guns and hold them. If I had done Demon Launch into Angel slash > to Angel Launch(the spinning launch attack) I wouldn't have been able to to Ricochet Shot.
Try it yourself.
Demon Earthquake launch > Charge guns > Angel Mode > (quickly charge) Angel Spin Launch. It's extremely strict.
But why is this important? Because you cannot charge you guns during ANY animation meaning you have to squeeze it in during those few frames of recovery after Demon Launch.
What you should be able to do is just hold guns at anytime you want to start charging Ricochet Shot. But they don't allow you to do that.

Nekodark

For me none of it matters to me as long as the game is fun and works as it should, if I can't kill the enemies and suddenly the Teletubbies show up then I will have a problem. when I started playing games none of this Fps and stuff mattered as long as the game played as it should which is how I still think even when everyone is talking about things like that, the game has to have MAJOR game braking glitches that make it impossible to do anything for me to be miffed but little things happening that does not do much to the game and I can still do what I need and I am still enjoying myself is what matters most to me not anything else because if I base what is fun and good on things like Fps and such why am I even playing if that is what I am going into it for..but hey that is just me and others who think like that.

Dante94513

For me it's not that that combat on-screen is awkward. It's that buffering/inputs are awkward. Like I was saying before on the other thread and that NT should take in our constructive feedback and fix the buffering. I don't find the combat to be sluggish, just buffering and inputs. It's closer to DMC3 than DMC4.

The "problem" (if you want to call it that) is that DMC4 allowed you to cancel anything(almost). With DmC you have to wait for the animation to finish/almost be finished to cancel it. You can't swing Rebellion and then cancel out the first few frames quickly but wait for it to finish attacking. That's why it feels slow. I REALLY dislike buffering charge shot. In order to buffer charge shot you need to have Dante NOT in an animation. An example here:
(Plugging my channel)
At 0:12 I had to purposefully leave Dante in the recovery animation of Demon launch. During these few recovery frames I had to input guns and hold them. If I had done Demon Launch into Angel slash > to Angel Launch(the spinning launch attack) I wouldn't have been able to to Ricochet Shot.
Try it yourself.
Demon Earthquake launch > Charge guns > Angel Mode > (quickly charge) Angel Spin Launch. It's extremely strict.
But why is this important? Because you cannot charge you guns during ANY animation meaning you have to squeeze it in during those few frames of recovery after Demon Launch.
What you should be able to do is just hold guns at anytime you want to start charging Ricochet Shot. But they don't allow you to do that.

I disagree. You can cancel a rebellion move before attacking by jump and/or dodging (I tried it in DMC3. Didn't work. Don't know about Dante in DMC4 but you can't with Red Queen with Nero). It just takes timing but it's possible. I don't think you can cancel many moves/animations in DMC4 though. Especially with Kick13, Real Impact, Uppercut (til the first charge), After Dance Massacre, you have to wait for Dante to almost finish the animation, Fireworks on ground can't be cancelled. Pandora's Grief, Omen, Argument (til it's in form). I thought DmC allows you to cancel almost everything except for Arbiter's attacks, in which you have to press dodge at the first frame to cancel it. I do agree though. I hope the buffering could be fixed. I didn't have a problem with it. I mostly use it for wide combat, not combos. But I still wish they fix it.

ZeroLove

DmC isn't slower than the original series, it just has a lower framerate, 30fps instead of 60frps, which means you have half frames to react per second than in the original series. However, DmC is still a fast-paced and isn't slow in any way compared to the original series.

And as it has already been stated, many of those combo videos of the original series are recorded while running turbo speed while the DmC videos have only been recorded at normal speed, so making those comparisons is less than legit.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
DmC works just fine and the creator of Devil May Cry even said that the 60fps is not needed for DMC to function. You have to keep in mind how much games have evolved since the original inception of DMC. Honestly anything over 30fps isn't even needed because you only see 24fps. That's just how your eyes work. Usually today games who use a 60fps layout are games that may have a strong emphasis on such things as online multiplayer or these spectacle focus on set pieces and they don't want it to hiccup. Thing is about 60fps is that it has to be accessed in the right manner or visuals can come off as flashes that only result in headaches. The cap for 30 has been synced just fine when we have some very fluid animations. Say what you want about Ninja Theory but they have a rep for using some of the best technological techniques and have been recognized for that. I still had just as much fun playing DmC as previous games like DMC 1 and 3. It is truly not a weak game at all and I'd hate to see it just tossed aside by stubborn fans who have been complaining about trivial things since day 1 and ultimately never gave the game a fighting chance at all. I'm a long time fan of the series and I think it's a very nice reboot for this aging franchise and it has more potential than a 5th entry in long running series has any right to. It still keeps what made me a fan of Devil May Cry and also finally doing something new for the series. If I didn't see this series do something different I probably wouldn't even be interested anymore.

Dominus

DmC works just fine and the creator of Devil May Cry even said that the 60fps is not needed for DMC to function. You have to keep in mind how much games have evolved since the original inception of DMC.
Who are you talking about here Itsuno or Kamiya? Because Kamiya's, the creator of DMC, recent H&S game ran around 60 fps so you need to back a statement up like this (I'm assuming you are talking about Itsuno).
Honestly anything over 30fps isn't even needed because you only see 24fps. That's just how your eyes work.
This is simply not true.. Look at the whole Hobbit drama about it running at 48 fps and it looking different. I can tell the difference when i switch a twitch tv stream to 60 fps. There is a difference.
http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html
Usually today games who use a 60fps layout are games that may have a strong emphasis on such things as online multiplayer or these spectacle focus on set pieces and they don't want it to hiccup. Thing is about 60fps is that it has to be accessed in the right manner or visuals can come off as flashes that only result in headaches.
60 fps is used for responsiveness in addition to fluidity. And there is no evidence that 60 fps can cause headaches (unless you have some medical journal to cite).

ChaserTech

Honestly anything over 30fps isn't even needed because you only see 24fps. That's just how your eyes work. Usually today games who use a 60fps layout are games that may have a strong emphasis on such things as online multiplayer or these spectacle focus on set pieces and they don't want it to hiccup. Thing is about 60fps is that it has to be accessed in the right manner or visuals can come off as flashes that only result in headaches.

That's....not true at all. I have no idea where you are getting this from.

Otherwise everything would be at 24fps because no one would be able to even notice 60fps.
If you can't notice the difference between 60fps and 24fps, then I assume your eyes are only adjusted to to what you see on TV (since TV channels are mostly shown at 24fps). Unless you're totally not paying attention to how fluid 60fps is compared to 24fps.

http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

Here's an example of frame fluidity between 15fps, 30fps, and 60fps. If you can't see a difference from 15fps to 60fps then something just might be wrong with your eyes.

And I'm sure that most games that are set in 60fps are games that are able to do so because the system can handle them. We've already seen how the PS3 has a hard time managing a constant 30fps when it dips on a regular basis. Possibly due to compatibility issues butwho knows.

But my point is that 60fps is noticeable. And casual gamers these days are often set on how the game looks, like graphics for example. If they see something that's incredibly choppy, they just might steer clear from it.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Like I said before, I'm sorry that I had to call you out on that. But I couldn't let that slide.

I used to play competitive smash with several of my friends (I normally played Melee and Brawl but I preferred Melee) And whenever I do advanced tech in Melee, since it's the most technical of the three current smash games, I work hard to perfect my skill. Now, hearing someone saying that I'm cheating because I spent about 5-6 years honing my tech skills in a competitive game is degrading. And I don't approve of it at all.

So before the next time you say something like that, please think about it first and acknowledge the time that people put in acquiring skill to execute advanced techniques.

*sigh* Whatever, man. I just get sick of hearing about JC'ing and Just Frames because I just don't give a **** about them. I suck at the game and there are always people who are so much better than me that tell me to use these techniques, but I'd rather play the game normally and not use broken-ass techniques like that. Yeah, they require skills to learn, but it's not like they were put in the game intentionally.

So if you're offended by me then I'm sorry. I must reminds you of all the trolls on the PS3 DmC forums over at Gfaqs, huh?

Valcorn

DmC isn't slower than the original series, it just has a lower framerate, 30fps instead of 60frps, which means you have half frames to react per second than in the original series. However, DmC is still a fast-paced and isn't slow in any way compared to the original series.

And as it has already been stated, many of those combo videos of the original series are recorded while running turbo speed while the DmC videos have only been recorded at normal speed, so making those comparisons is less than legit.
It's slower, no such thing as trickster, guard cancel etc.
*sigh* Whatever, man. I just get sick of hearing about JC'ing and Just Frames because I just don't give a **** about them. I suck at the game and there are always people who are so much better than me that tell me to use these techniques, but I'd rather play the game normally and not use broken-ass techniques like that. Yeah, they require skills to learn, but it's not like they were put in the game intentionally.

So if you're offended by me then I'm sorry. I must reminds you of all the trolls on the PS3 DmC forums over at Gfaqs, huh?
those were put in there intentionally you dumbass, it's present even in DmC

Valcorn

Sorry then, but made you sound like: "I suck at DMC, so DmC is better" my apologies if that's not the case. But yeah, do some research next time ^_

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Sorry then, but made you sound like: "I suck at DMC, so DmC is better" my apologies if that's not the case. But yeah, do some research next time ^_

*sigh* Sorry. I've just not have a good day and I don't know what the **** I'm thinking right now. And people calling me a dumbass does NOT help.

Valcorn

That's understandable. Again, my bad... once the game is out, you can learn these "broken-ass techniques" yourself :p Really, they aren't mandatory to use, just some " hidden extras" for those who like to explore and try new things.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
That's understandable. Again, my bad... once the game is out, you can learn these "broken-ass techniques" yourself :p Really, they aren't mandatory to use, just some " hidden extras" for those who like to explore and try new things.

I don't care to learn them, honestly. I'm no pro, never will be. And the jump canceling in DmC causes the enemies to get stuck in the air, so... Yeah, there's that.

ChaserTech

The "problem" (if you want to call it that) is that DMC4 allowed you to cancel anything(almost). With DmC you have to wait for the animation to finish/almost be finished to cancel it. You can't swing Rebellion and then cancel out the first few frames quickly but wait for it to finish attacking.

Yeah as Dante94513 stated, you can cancel out attack animations before you attack. However the timing for it is strict since you need to dodge immediately after pressing the attack button.

But you can't cancel during the attack animation. Unless you're using Osiris.
And honestly, you can't cancel out animations in DMC4 either until the first few frames after it's Dante is finished attacking. Some moves you can cancel out during their attack animations. But honestly, some attacks are so fast that even though you're doing it after the attack is finished, it leaves you more time to react. I just recently tested this with DMC4 without turbo mode.

Don't know about Dante in DMC4 but you can't with Red Queen with Nero).

Yes you can, it's called Devil Trigger Cancelling. It plays a huge role in his combat since you can cancel any move at any given time except for Buster & Snatch.

And I'm using D.T. Cancelling as an example because it doesn't alter the enemies around him as well as the environment. He keeps his original properties other than the fact that it's basically two people attacking at once as well as gaining different properties with his Buster/Snatch moves, which is not much compared to the new D.T. in DmC (which I really think is overpowered like crazy)

It just takes timing but it's possible. I don't think you can cancel many moves/animations in DMC4 though. Especially with Kick13, Real Impact, Uppercut (til the first charge), After Dance Massacre, you have to wait for Dante to almost finish the animation, Fireworks on ground can't be cancelled. Pandora's Grief, Omen, Argument (til it's in form). I thought DmC allows you to cancel almost everything except for Arbiter's attacks, in which you have to press dodge at the first frame to cancel it.

No offense, but you're listing special moves. And most, if not all, special moves cannot be cancelled.

In DmC, you can't cancel out Stinger, Osiris Streak, High Time, Helm Breaker, Charged Shots, Demon Pull, Angel Lift, Reverse Rainstorm (unless you jump), any basic move during (not before) an attack animation except for Osiris and all of Arbiter moves during their attack animations. And this is only with the demo of the game.

See how that sounds?

EDIT:

I don't care to learn them, honestly. I'm no pro, never will be. And the jump canceling in DmC causes the enemies to get stuck in the air, so... Yeah, there's that.

I'm sorry to point this out, but you don't need to JC in order to keep the enemy in midair in DmC. You can just spam Angel Lift over and over again and you'll stay in the air indefinitely.

Top Bottom