• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

it wasn't meant to be insulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
i still keep hearing people go on about how the little wig joke was a slap in the face to fans. when it really isn't. it was probably the first joke they came up with for the game before the reveal. and its not just DmC, but a lot of other origins stories and reboots. like smallville and arrow. i remember how people lashed out at the show when clark made jokes like "i'm never wearing tights" or "you wanna call me superman? thats so corny". or how in arrow when people would suggest to ollie that he should change his name and merlin said, "he should change his name to green arrow". and ollie replied "thats lame". people lashed out at that as well. these aren't slaps in the face. they're jokes. they are funny because we know that in the end, what ever the character is jokingly protesting about, is going to happen in the end. like clark becoming superman in the end of smallville and dante getting white hair in the end of DmC.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I didn't take offence to it. I thought it was more like an ironic jab at Dante. There he is saying 'not in a million years' to white hair, but then by the end of the game, his hair does become white.:p

So, Dante, what was that you were saying about white hair...:troll:

Either that, or it was a shout out to the previous DMC games, like an acknowledgement of them, not a rude poke at them.

Dusk Stalker

" Everybody gets a bullet!" -Axton
I didn't take offence to it. I thought it was more like an ironic jab at Dante. There he is saying 'not in a million years' to white hair, but then by the end of the game, his hair does become white.:p

So, Dante, what was that you were saying about white hair...:troll:

Either that, or it was a shout out to the previous DMC games, like an acknowledgement of them, not a rude poke at them.

And you forgot the DMC 3 costume that came with the DLC pack.

"Not in a million years"

*One week later and game beaten later*.

DLC Costume pack announced with Neo Dante, Dark Dante and DMC 3 Dante, so you can add with the new NT white haired Dante.

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
i still keep hearing people go on about how the little wig joke was a slap in the face to fans. when it really isn't. it was probably the first joke they came up with for the game before the reveal. and its not just DmC, but a lot of other origins stories and reboots. like smallville and arrow. i remember how people lashed out at the show when clark made jokes like "i'm never wearing tights" or "you wanna call me superman? thats so corny". or how in arrow when people would suggest to ollie that he should change his name and merlin said, "he should change his name to green arrow". and ollie replied "thats lame". people lashed out at that as well. these aren't slaps in the face. they're jokes. they are funny because we know that in the end, what ever the character is jokingly protesting about, is going to happen in the end. like clark becoming superman in the end of smallville and dante getting white hair in the end of DmC.
I found it to be funny and didn't take offense to it at all. Many reboots and or prequels take jabs at things, when in the end they actually happen. It was a silly joke and anyone who claims it to be 'hate' and 'bad pr' doesn't know what they are saying.

EllDawn

I never took offense at it, either. It was kind of funny, deserved a laugh, and that was it. The people who did take it offensively are likely just looking for an insult.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
I laughed at it. It deserved that poke given its position.
And you forgot the DMC 3 costume that came with the DLC pack.

"Not in a million years"

*One week later and game beaten later*.

DLC Costume pack announced with Neo Dante, Dark Dante and DMC 3 Dante, so you can add with the new NT white haired Dante.

Those are DLC. They have no real story relevance so they don't count.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
claiming that people hated new dante because of his hair color would be a lot like saying people only hate twilight because the vampires sparkle, and if they didn't everyone would say it's a great book.

I loved the old dante. In a universe where everyone was throwing their humanity away for demonic power, he preached staying human. Always a total cheeseball that never appeared serious, he always had that shining moment at the end of the game where he revealed he'd been serious all along. Not everyone likes this kind of character, but I did, and it was a big reason I picked up the series in the first place. So it was always incredibly frustrating to talk about his character and then get some kind of "TL;DR you hate his hair" response.

The wig joke wasn't insulting because "haha look at what we took away, we're rubbing it in your face", it was insulting because after 2 years of fan response, ninja theory still believed his hair color was ever an issue to begin with. It showed that for 2 solid years ninja theory had their fingers in their ears, responding only to what they thought fans were complaining about, without once ever listening to what they were really saying. Nobody gave two ****s about his hair color until ninja theory wouldn't stop making a huge deal over it.

TL;DR
Ninja theory was basically that one kid on the server that spams "umad?" until people legitimately get mad at him, and then he declares himself a master troll and blasts a rick roll over VOIP for the 3 people that haven't muted him yet.

Bazilican

The wig joke wasn't insulting because "haha look at what we took away, we're rubbing it in your face", it was insulting because after 2 years of fan response, ninja theory still believed his hair color was ever an issue to begin with. It showed that for 2 solid years ninja theory had their fingers in their ears, responding only to what they thought fans were complaining about, without once ever listening to what they were really saying. Nobody gave two ***** about his hair color until ninja theory wouldn't stop making a huge deal over it.

Or...they did it as a joke. They already knew hair wasn't the issue, but what's the point of being ALL serious all the time? I found it funny and ironic that he'd never have long white hair like that, but near the end he does end up with white hair. Hell, I'd do the same thing, maybe even take it farther and do it like "Oh, next you'd want me to dye my hair like yours Vergil, and while you wear blue, I wear red like some flaming asshat? Yeah, no thanks."

TL;DR
Ninja theory was basically that one kid on the server that spams "umad?" until people legitimately get mad at him, and then he declares himself a master troll and blasts a rick roll over VOIP for the 3 people that haven't muted him yet.

I don't know about that much, but I do know that it was jus a joke. And if fans can't mature enough to get over it, then that's their fault.

Kam

I don't know about that much, but I do know that it was jus a joke. And if fans can't mature enough to get over it, then that's their fault.
if tomorrow I started making a huge deal about how you refuse to play classic DMC because the shape of dante's ass is too different from reboot dante's ass, would you find that funny? Whenever you talk about classic dmc, how about I jump in and go "Tl;DR you just don't like how his ass looks". People start talking on forums about how pathetic it is that you judge an entire character because of his ass. Capcom thinks it's funny and in DmC2, they make a cutscene where silicone implants fall down dante's pants and he examines his ass in the mirror.

Months later, someone makes a thread saying that you just need to get over the ass joke because it was never meant to be an insult to you. Nobody listens to you when you tell them you honestly give no ****s about dante's ass, and you liked the character for other reasons.

If you don't find this funny; it was just a joke and if you can't mature enough to get over it, it's your fault.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Yep, and it's been 6 months now after the game's release. I've started moving onto other games a bit now and if people are still going on about something that was intended as a joke just to find something to pick at it and be angry about, it's their problem. I just find the whole thing obsessive and unhealthy to continue drilling into, that and others things too about the game that just seem ridiculous to complain about.

Really, if anyone's picks fights about it, the best thing to do is just ignore them. There's just no point getting into an argument about a wig joke, little less anything else on the game for that matter.

Kam

Really, if anyone's picks fights about it, the best thing to do is just ignore them. There's just no point getting into an argument about a wig joke.
responding to this thread's OP is doing the exact opposite of ignoring it.

Bazilican

if tomorrow I started making a huge deal about how you refuse to play classic DMC because the shape of dante's ass is too different from reboot dante's ass, would you find that funny?

I actually would, since I never cared about Dante's ass.

Whenever you talk about classic dmc, how about I jump in and go "Tl;DR you just don't like how his ass looks".

Then I'd ignore you and move on. Simple.

People start talking on forums about how pathetic it is that you judge an entire character because of his ass. Capcom thinks it's funny and in DmC2, they make a cutscene where silicone implants fall down dante's pants and he examines his ass in the mirror.

I still wouldn't care.

Months later, someone makes a thread saying that you just need to get over the ass joke because it was never meant to be an insult to you. Nobody listens to you when you tell them you honestly give no ***** about dante's ass, and you liked the character for other reasons.

I'd probably be the maker of such a thread.

If you don't find this funny; it was just a joke and if you can't mature enough to get over it, it's your fault.

I did find it funny though because why would I care about his ass?

responding to this thread's OP is doing the exact opposite of ignoring it.

Then stop responding.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
LOOK!!! I'M NOT HERE TO START A WAR. IF I OPENED AN OLD WOUND, I'M SORRY. lets just chill the **** out alright. ****
Don't listen to Kam. He and Incarnated Demon (the local loco) take these things way too seriously.
Just relax and watch this video based on the expertly-written dialogue that DMC3 has to offer. :ermm:

Oh, and this Soul Calibur vid is also pretty decent:

This vid is... ok. Could have been better-edited though.

Reactions: Jak

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I'm gonna be honest, if you actually got offended by the wig thing then you should lighten the f#ck up and quit taking this crap so goddamn seriously. It's stupid.

It was meant to be ironic and also the white hair is significant in DmC because it symbolizes Dante's growth being an origin story and all. Dante getting that full head of white hair at the end of DmC was like Batman putting on the cowl for the first time.

Him dismissing the look not only was the ironic joke that's punchline would show up at the end of the game but also showing Dante not caring about playing hero and ****. At the end however you even have to go Devil Trigger to defeat Vergil also allowing the player to make that full transition becoming the white haired hero he was destined to become.

Yea so.

berto

I Saw the Devil
it was probably the first joke they came up with for the game before the reveal.

There was nothing before the reveal. The first year of development was spent redesigning the character of Dante and the world. Development, scripting, even casting, didn't begging till after the reveal. So, look at it however you want, this little joke was made during the height of the backlash, not before.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
There was nothing before the reveal. The first year of development was spent redesigning the character of Dante and the world. Development, scripting, even casting, didn't begging till after the reveal. So, look at it however you want, this little joke was made during the height of the backlash, not before.

i meant it as after capcom telling them that they wanted NT to reboot the series, and after they got dante redesigned and everything, they said "wouldn't it be funny if a wig fell on his head...". that kind of thing. i'm sure it wasn't to spite anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom