• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is Vergil evil or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroLove

Okay, my personal view on this that Vergil is evil in that sense that he is very selfish and only thinks about what he wants and doesn't care about anyone getting hurt in the process. Vergil wants power. The power to protect those he care about. And I think he wants this after feeling helpless from when his mother was killed and he wasn't able to protect her, so now he is seeking the power of Sparda. In order to do so, he awakened the Temen-Ni-Gru which keeps the gateway to Hell where all the demons are sealed into. On his quest he releases alot of demons into the mortal world, demons who will most likely kill alot of people, but Vergil doesn't care about that as long he gets what he wants. To me, that is evil.

His intentions might be good, but the means he uses are evil. Another thing I wonder is; Who is it Vergil wants to protect?

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Vergil is not evil for obvious reasons.

A evil person would have killed Dante when he had the chance.

A evil person would have killed Lady when he had the chance.

A evil person would have let Arkham loose on the human world instead of helping his brother kill him.

A OBSESSED person would do something unethical such as open a Demon Portal inorder to get what he wants like "Power".

A OBSESSED person does not care about the results of his actions. only the final result and getting what it is he is obsessing over.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
but he doesn't care who gets in his way.
vergil didn't do the dirty work, arkham did it all for him.
It's not immature its cold hearted. Immature is something completely different

johntoreno07

but he doesn't care who gets in his way.
vergil didn't do the dirty work, arkham did it all for him.
It's not immature its cold hearted. Immature is something completely different

no one is getting in his way he is unleshing evil but yet he doesn't think what would happen to humans so this isn't any immaturity ??

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
no, i don't think his is being immature, i think he is being reckless. Like i said, immaturity is something else

ZeroLove

Vergil is not evil for obvious reasons.

A evil person would have killed Dante when he had the chance.

A evil person would have killed Lady when he had the chance.

A evil person would have let Arkham loose on the human world instead of helping his brother kill him.

A OBSESSED person would do something unethical such as open a Demon Portal inorder to get what he wants like "Power".

A OBSESSED person does not care about the results of his actions. only the final result and getting what it is he is obsessing over.

I see your points, but I would still call it evil not to care if people die along the way. To know that people die because of you, because of the things you do, but you simply don't care about that as long you get what you want. I would classify that as evil. He is not evil for the sake of evil, he is evil because of the consequences his actions have. Vergil is responsible for unleashing demons upon the world and those demons will kill people, because that is what demons do, and he doesn't give a sh*t about it as long he gains power. To me, that's being evil.

johntoreno07

I see your points, but I would still call it evil not to care if people die along the way. To know that people die because of you, because of the things you do, but you simply don't care about that as long you get what you want. I would classify that as evil. He is not evil for the sake of evil, he is evil because of the consequences his actions have. Vergil is responsible for unleashing demons upon the world and those demons will kill people, because that is what demons do, and he doesn't give a sh*t about it as long he gains power. To me, that's being evil.

That's what i call childish mommy mommy i want that candy no matter what !! yes vergil never grew up and never lost his childish attitude to fight with his brother poor vergil i just feel sorry for him

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium

Who is to say that Vergil did not fully intend to kill those demons he unleashed AFTER he gained the power he seeked?

After all, it has been shown that Vergil is not to fond of demons himself. One did kill his mother so I'd imagine he hates them just as much as Dante.

And considering the fact that he helped Dante kill arkham shows that he might have intended on handling the demons he released afterwards.

ZeroLove

Who is to say that Vergil did not fully intend to kill those demons he unleashed AFTER he gained the power he seeked?

After all, it has been shown that Vergil is not to fond of demons himself. One did kill his mother so I'd imagine he hates them just as much as Dante.

And considering the fact that he helped Dante kill arkham shows that he might have intended on handling the demons he released afterwards.

As I said, his intentions might be good, but his actions aren't. In the end, Vergil failed to gain the power he wanted anyways and became Mundus' puppet, so those demons he unleashed to begin with had free reins to kill whoever they wanted. I don't think Vergil wants to be evil, he doesn't strive to be, but because of the things he did on his quest to get what he wants, I consider him to be evil. He might not have killed Dante, but he stabbed through Dante's chest with two swords to prevent him from stopping Vergil, that's kinda evil as well. That would be the same if I hammered a nail through my sister's hand so she couldn't stop me from getting something I wanted. That's a f*cking wicked and psychotic thing to do!

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
He might not have killed Dante, but he stabbed through Dante's chest with two swords to prevent him from stopping Vergil, that's kinda evil as well. That would be the same if I hammered a nail through my sister's hand so she couldn't stop me from getting something I wanted.

That example is flawed for obvious reasons.

For one Dante and Vergil can take ALOT of damage.

Dante got impaled 5 times by scythes at the beginning of the game and was fine. I'm pretty sure Vergil knew Dante would be fine after the stab. He just wanted to keep him from getting up for the time being.

Comparing it to putting a nail into your sister's hand seem ridiculous in comparison when you consider how much damage these 2 can take and still be fine.

Its more like punching your brother in the face and knocking him down so you can get away.

Sure its cruel and mean but not evil.

And its not like Vergil had a choice in getting controlled by Mundus.

So saying he is evil because he got controlled and could not do anything about the demons he unleashed does seem kinda "off".

Its like if I where to start cooking dinner and left to go outside. afterwards I get kidnapped and my house as well as my neighbors house catches on fire killing people.

Does that mean I am a evil person for being kidnapped and be helpless to do anything?

I don't think so.

johntoreno07

That example is flawed for obvious reasons.

For one Dante and Vergil can take ALOT of damage.

Dante got impaled 5 times by scythes at the beginning of the game and was fine. I'm pretty sure Vergil knew Dante would be fine after the stab. He just wanted to keep him from getting up for the time being.

Comparing it to putting a nail into your sister's hand seem ridiculous in comparison when you consider how much damage these 2 can take and still be fine.

Its more like punching your brother in the face and knocking him down so you can get away.

Sure its cruel and mean but not evil.

And its not like Vergil had a choice in getting controlled by Mundus.

So saying he is evil because he got controlled and could not do anything about the demons he unleashed does seem kinda "off".

Its like if I where to start cooking dinner and left to go outside. afterwards I get kidnapped and my house as well as my neighbors house catches on fire killing people.

Does that mean I am a evil person for being kidnapped and be helpless to do anything?

I don't think so.

Right ON !!

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Good and evil is kind of relative here.

Lady kills her own father.
Vergil almost kills his own brother, is happy to kill Arkham at the door of the Lair of Judgement, and helps raise a tower that gets a lot of townspeople killed.
Dante is willing to kill his own brother to stop him having more power, and more than happy to kill Arkham.
Arkham is willing to kill just about anyone to get what he wants.

So they're all willing to murder someone else to get what they think is right. The only difference is what the belief is. Whether you kill someone to save other people, or for your own purposes, you're still doing it because of personal belief.

Vergil isn't evil, he's selfish. At no point does he directly kill anybody who doesn't rightly deserve it, he only kills those who are a threat to himself or are putting themselves in the way of his plan. He is not a sadist, or revelling in 'evil' as Arkham is. He indirectly kills people with the raising tower, but he probably considers that collateral damage for the greater good. Dante considers Vergil's death collateral damage for the greater good, and Lady her father's death, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom