• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is there hope for a Devil May Cry 5?

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
I think there's hope for a DMC5. The simple fact that they decided to make a Special Edition for a seven year old game told me that Capcom is at least sending the message ''we haven't forgotten about classic DMC''.
Also consider that they're catering to the fans with DMC4 SE Vergil. If they wanted to stop making classic DMC games, I doubt they'd give us all these things. If they're trying to keep classic DMC popular, then yeah, I think DMC5 is on the horizon. Some people even speculate that DMC4 SE was made to build hype for DMC5, which *might* be revealed at E3.

Besides, Itsuno said he wanted to make DMC5 someday, and there's been no word of anyone wanting or planning to continue with DmC. So if they don't want to lose one of their popular game series, I'd say they're going to make a good sequel to DMC4 or DMC2. Actually, DMC5 could be a sequel to both DMC4 and DMC2, if Nero is the one who shows up at Dante's shop at the end.
They could even do something with their old idea of Dante being in hell, and Nero needing to find him/save him whatever. Or just Dante beating a boss in hell, and Nero beating a boss in the human world.

Last edited:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
@Innsmouth
I was talking about the whole universe, , where humankind is left alone to fight off demon hordes. When I talked about the savior of Humankind I was refering to Sparda´s rebellion and his fight for humans against his own kind. There were no angels, no god, only a demon who thought humans were worth saving.
Well there are no implication religion in the form of our world even existed in DMC games. Only Sparda cult.

outoftheblue

@Innsmouth True, there aren´t and that´s how I would like it to stay. No matter if they don´t exist or just don´t care, I would like angels as far as possible from the DMC universe, that´s the core of what I wanted to say.

Frazz

General gamer
There is a decent chance of a DMC5 but I don't think we'll be hearing about it for a while. Given the interviews with the producer wanting an 'Indiana Jones style adventure' I would suspect that work started on it very recently if it has started at all as he could have said 'no comment' but the fact that he speculated on what could happen indicates to me that work hadn't started yet.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
I don't know, there's been reports that somebody had already made a trailer for DMC5. So I wouldn't be surprised if an announcement for DMC5 turned up at E3.
Maybe they did make Dante older like that guy from Capcom wanted (Rey Jimenez), but I don't even know this person... so I would assume he has no influence on the path DMC will take. From what I've looked up, it seems he doesn't have the authority to change DMC, and he hasn't even worked on any DMC game. He's just a minor *producer* who worked on Rockman X, Dead Rising etc. Who knows, he might not even know how far Capcom is with DMC5 in the development process. Considering he doesn't work on DMC, I wouldn't be surprised if he's kept out of the loop.

With that said, I haven't seen any indication that Capcom will show a game at E3 besides Street Fighter V. No mention of an action game or anything like that, so I wouldn't get my hopes up for DMC5.

Last edited:

Frost

Demon of Icy Wind
I think there's hope for a DMC5. The simple fact that they decided to make a Special Edition for a seven year old game told me that Capcom is at least sending the message ''we haven't forgotten about classic DMC''.
Also consider that they're catering to the fans with DMC4 SE Vergil. If they wanted to stop making classic DMC games, I doubt they'd give us all these things.

Exactly. It seems that Capcom has finally started to realize what their fans want and expect from them. DMC4 sold much better than any of the different iterations of DmC, so it makes sense that they try to cater to the old fans by releasing a remastered version of their latest classic DMC game.

I presume the future of this series is largely dependent on the sales of DMC4: Special Edition. If it solds well enough we will probably see a continuation.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Exactly. It seems that Capcom has finally started to realize what their fans want and expect from them. DMC4 sold much better than any of the different iterations of DmC, so it makes sense that they try to cater to the old fans by releasing a remastered version of their latest classic DMC game.

I presume the future of this series is largely dependent on the sales of DMC4: Special Edition. If it solds well enough we will probably see a continuation.
- Yup.

- I used to think that the future of DMC relied on DMC4 SE too... and maybe it does, but I dunno. DMC has always sold really well. Even DMC1 sold better than DmC, and each installment has made a good profit. Especially DMC4. I can't imagine Capcom needs to develop DMC4 SE just to know if it's worth continuing with the classic series. IMO, Capcom should already know. If they do DMC5 right, it will probably make 3 million just like DMC4, if not 4 million or something.

Wajpa

Also Viper339 on Twitch!

Lets hope Capcom doesn't have unreasonable expectations when it comes to sales. I wish it would sell well but it's a product aimed at only DMC and other Beat 'Em Up fans so I'd say it will sell 350k max. Still, there's an action and an adventure title confirmed from Capcom to be shown at E3 so there's probably a pretty decent chance for DMC5.

If they do DMC5 right, it will probably make 3 million just like DMC4, if not 4 million or something.

I just want to say that DMC4 has probably sold a lot more than 3 million on consoles alone since Steam doesn't release it's sales data and it has been pretty high on the top sellers list every time it's on sale.

Frost

Demon of Icy Wind
- I used to think that the future of DMC relied on DMC4 SE too... and maybe it does, but I dunno. DMC has always sold really well. Even DMC1 sold better than DmC, and each installment has made a good profit. Especially DMC4. I can't imagine Capcom needs to develop DMC4 SE just to know if it's worth continuing with the classic series. IMO, Capcom should already know. If they do DMC5 right, it will probably make 3 million just like DMC4, if not 4 million or something.

It looks like making a profit from a hack 'n' slash game is much more difficult these days. Remember what happened to Bayonetta 2? Nintendo was the only publisher who was confident enough in the game's potential to support it, while other major publishers turned it down.

The sales expectations of games have risen astronomically during the past few years, so 3 million for a AAA game probably wouldn't be enough for Capcom. But I really hope the success of DMC4: SE helps them see the popularity DMC still has today, and at least give the series one final chance to wrap everything up.

Wajpa

Also Viper339 on Twitch!
It looks like making a profit from a hack 'n' slash game is much more difficult these days. Remember what happened to Bayonetta 2? Nintendo was the only publisher who was confident enough in the game's potential to support it, while other major publishers turned it down.

The sales expectations of games have risen astronomically during the past few years, so 3 million for a AAA game probably wouldn't be enough for Capcom. But I really hope the success of DMC4: SE helps them see the popularity DMC still has today, and at least give the series one final chance to wrap everything up.

The way both Platinum (and I assume Capcom) does it is that they don't have a gigantic budget for theses types of games so they make a profit so it wouldn't matter for Capcom.

I agree that people lost interest in Hack 'N' Slash types of games which is pretty sad. The diversity of game genres in general is pretty weak right now. Every game is either open world whatever or a DotA clone. I don't want to speak badly about open world games because some of them are incredible but it's getting a little bit dull.

Frost

Demon of Icy Wind
The way both Platinum (and I assume Capcom) does it is that they don't have a gigantic budget for theses types of games so they make a profit so it wouldn't matter for Capcom.

I agree that people lost interest in Hack 'N' Slash types of games which is pretty sad. The diversity of game genres in general is pretty weak right now. Every game is either open world whatever or a DotA clone. I don't want to speak badly about open world games because some of them are incredible but it's getting a little bit dull.

The budgets definitely aren't as big as they can get in this industry where developers and publishers often strive to achieve unnecessarily photorealistic graphics and celebrity casts. Not to mention completely overblown marketing budgets. However, the games are still definitely high quality, even if some corners were cut for graphics and other more insignificant assets. So they aren't cheap to make; they aren't Platinum's Legend of Korra.

And I agree that the diversity in game genres has definitely dwindled, which is extremely sad. Some of it is due to the aforementioned fact of cost. Games are so much more expensive to produce these days that publishers are averse to risks, so instead of introducing a new untested IP they prefer to just release a yearly sequel to their popular shooter franchise.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel

I don't know, games like Dragon's Dogma (which is considered an AAA game, I think) only sold 1.3 million. According to Capcom, sales of Dragon's Dogma were very good. Capcom even said that DmC's sales (1.1 million at first) were 'solid'. So I don't think sales expectations have risen all that much for games in general. Maybe hack-and-slash games are losing popularity though.

Frost

Demon of Icy Wind
I don't know, games like Dragon's Dogma (which is considered an AAA game, I think) only sold 1.3 million. According to Capcom, sales of Dragon's Dogma were very good. Capcom even said that DmC's sales (1.1 million at first) were 'solid'. So I don't think sales expectations have risen all that much for games in general. Maybe hack-and-slash games are losing popularity though.

That is surprising, coming from the company that thought Resident Evil 6 "failed to meet expectations" after selling how much, 6 million units? It was a huge number.

Maybe they don't expect as much from their "lesser" franchises. That would be beneficial to DMC5. Though seeing as Dragon's Dogma failed to become a franchise, and how DD Online hasn't even been planned to release in the west, I think Capcom has changed their minds about the solidity of DD's sales.

Veloran

Well there are no implication religion in the form of our world even existed in DMC games. Only Sparda cult.
Different churches have shown up throughout quite a bit of DMC media, so it's probably safe to say some semblance of real religion exists in-universe.

I'd also swear that Dante, in either the novels, anime or manga, once said he was raised Catholic, but knowing him that could've easily been a joke anyway.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Different churches have shown up throughout quite a bit of DMC media, so it's probably safe to say some semblance of real religion exists in-universe.

I'd also swear that Dante, in either the novels, anime or manga, once said he was raised Catholic, but knowing him that could've easily been a joke anyway.
I highly doubt Dante is catholic :p

Viper

Premium
I highly doubt Dante is catholic :p
Being raised Catholic does not mean you will always end up as Catholic in your adulthood. People have been known to give up on religion once they reach age when they are allowed to decide for themselves.
In the manga he says: "Is this your idea of a date? Sit in a church and pray? I've done enough of that to last a lifetime." That could mean either Eva liked to pray in the church, or in my opinion more likely, Dante was placed in an orphanage run by nuns.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Being raised Catholic does not mean you will always end up as Catholic in your adulthood. People have been known to give up on religion once they reach age when they are allowed to decide for themselves.
In the manga he says: "Is this your idea of a date? Sit in a church and pray? I've done enough of that to last a lifetime." That could mean either Eva liked to pray in the church, or in my opinion more likely, Dante was placed in an orphanage run by nuns.
Well that can be true. I haven't read mange, so I wasn't sure about it.

Vinosh

Old DMC past:
There is no DMC 5 ,because old DMC dead.
DmC present/future:
Will DmC 2 , because DmC's good review/sales.

Top Bottom