• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

If the next DMC game wasn't DMC5...

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I feel it be hard to say whether or not I want another reboot till I have it in front of me.

But the thing is DMC isn't really fleshed out alot so you have a lot of room to expand and build. Literally the only concrete thing I could tell you about Dante's past is his mom dies at some point. I even had a friend who thought she died a year before DMC3 So another reboot would feels unnecessary to me because you could just bring in whatever you want to the existing story (within reason).

I don't mind a remake I think i just need more bang for the buck, like if we got a story overhaul to go with the gameplay overhaul then I'd be OK with it. But DMC2 is the only one that would benefit from a story overhaul as 1 you don't really need to change much. Just give Trish a short campaign and figure out what you wanna do with Vergil (if you wanna bring him back, then just set that up).

You could bring back the first light novel as canon by having that be what happened a year before DMC3
but that requires rewriting the game. The game story could still happen but its a very different Dante and Vergil going to that tower and context matters. It could be a cool take but that feels like extra work that I dont see Capcom wanting to do so... ehhh.

Redgrave Kyo

Unusual sight
Hmmm. If it is not Devil May Cry 5, I would like a Devil May Cry 1 remake, and in 2nd place a Vergil spinoff about its whereabouts. Either before Devil May Cry 3 occurs (he went to Fortuna after all), either after he lands in the Nirvana, "ready" to fight Mundus. Holes are big enough to make both.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Rather than focusing on his failed fight with Mundus, I rather focus a game on Vergil coming back to life after DMC1 and dealing with all the story possibilities that could yield.

Focusing a whole game on his failed fight with Mundus feels like a waste to me. Thats more of a memory segment or a cool prologue etc not a whole game.

I do like the idea of doing a vergil prequel set before DMC3 but thats because there's more material there that interests me versus the failed fight which is pretty straight forward.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I rather focus a game on Vergil coming back to life after DMC1 and dealing with all the story possibilities that could yield.

Yeah that's a good idea and the one I would prefer when it comes to a Vergil scenario as well. However...

Focusing a whole game on his failed fight with Mundus feels like a waste to me.

I disagree on this one. Since what exactly happened between his fall into the Netherworld from DMC3 and his actual defeat by the hand of Mundus is not known, you can, in fact, make a game out of it. Maybe most of us just imagine that facing Mundus right away after his fall is what happened but they could make it so that before getting to Mundus himself, Vergil had to get through the whole Hell (Mundus is the Demon King after all, makes sense you gotta get deep into the Demon World to reach him) itself. So you could make a proper game, set in post-Sparda rebellion Hell (come on, how cool would that be... we've only ever had little segments in Hell from the games so far), with legit bosses and wicked as **** enemy and level design.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I rather focus a game on Vergil coming back to life after DMC1 and dealing with all the story possibilities that could yield.
I'm going to be controversial and say that I do not want Vergil to return (alive) in a future DMC game.

If I had to choose, I would much rather have a game that explores the relationship between Sparda and Mundus while expanding much of the lore.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I'm going to be controversial and say that I do not want Vergil to return (alive) in a future DMC game.

If I had to choose, I would much rather have a game that explores the relationship between Sparda and Mundus while expanding much of the lore.
A story could be told showcasing how a powerful, and once ruthless demon came to understand empathy and become of self proclaimed defender of humanity. And the fallout with his own demonic kind that ensued. Maybe take a "fish out of water" approach.

And since Sparda has never been anything else but a plot device in this series, there's a lot of creative freedom to actually craft a compelling character here to carry the story.

Unlike Vergil who has already been established and just isn't interesting whatsoever. Unless they change that, Vergil should just stay dead.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium

Yeah...that would sorta get into some soap opera territory, and also completely diminishes all previous weight to his death(s).

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Oh, and plus, having a game with Vergil in Hell would give them the oppurtunity to let us see how demons there would react to the presence of a son of Sparda in their own territory. They hate Sparda and his legacy's guts, so that would be cool to see.

Also, the most interesting trait about Vergil's character was his inner struggle between what he his - a human/demon halfbreed - and what he wants to be - a full, powerful demon. I see a game with Vergil in Hell having that coming even more into play. If they chose to use the approach I mentioned before, maybe they could play with the fact that he is rejected by his own kind, coupled with the fact that his human side is also rejected, by himself. Play with his identity crisis, so to speak. Exploring his character in that sense.

But a Sparda game set during his rebellion, I've always said it and I'll keep saying it, would also kick all kind of ass. There are so many possibilities to pick.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
No it isn't. There's not a single remake in the series.

Yeah I think I meant re-releases. My bad.
Rather than focusing on his failed fight with Mundus, I rather focus a game on Vergil coming back to life after DMC1 and dealing with all the story possibilities that could yield.

Focusing a whole game on his failed fight with Mundus feels like a waste to me. Thats more of a memory segment or a cool prologue etc not a whole game.

I do like the idea of doing a vergil prequel set before DMC3 but thats because there's more material there that interests me versus the failed fight which is pretty straight forward.

I see this more as DLC for a DMC5, like with Fetch's story in Infamous: First Light.

Reactions: Gel

Veloran

I disagree on this one. Since what exactly happened between his fall into the Netherworld from DMC3 and his actual defeat by the hand of Mundus is not known, you can, in fact, make a game out of it. Maybe most of us just imagine that facing Mundus right away after his fall is what happened but they could make it so that before getting to Mundus himself, Vergil had to get through the whole Hell (Mundus is the Demon King after all, makes sense you gotta get deep into the Demon World to reach him) itself. So you could make a proper game, set in post-Sparda rebellion Hell (come on, how cool would that be... we've only ever had little segments in Hell from the games so far), with legit bosses and wicked as **** enemy and level design.
It seems pretty unnecessary. I'd like a game exploring hell, but DMC3's ending really did seem all tied up with respect to Vergil facing Mundus. If such a game was made it should be set later on, after 4 or even 2.

Redgrave Kyo

Unusual sight
It seems pretty unnecessary. I'd like a game exploring hell, but DMC3's ending really did seem all tied up with respect to Vergil facing Mundus. If such a game was made it should be set later on, after 4 or even 2.

Obejection here, Your Honor. We have yet to understand what happened to Yamato during this set of time. Which is a question we all asked ourselves when we saw the weapon in Devil May Cry 4. If anything, it is necessary since we're talking about quite a hole : Vergil weapon gets BROKEN - it's a Sparda legacy weapon, nothing less - and it gets itself in Fortuna. Since Nero gets it, it's not something to be overlooked.

Veloran

We have yet to understand what happened to Yamato during this set of time.
Is that minor unknown really worth making an entire game about?

We already know the Order scavenged the remains of Mallet Island before DMC4, so the obvious conclusion would be that they recovered Yamato, most likely broken during Vergil's fight with Mundus and kept as a trophy.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Is that minor unknown really worth making an entire game about?

We already know the Order scavenged the remains of Mallet Island before DMC4, so the obvious conclusion would be that they recovered Yamato, most likely broken during Vergil's fight with Mundus and kept as a trophy.

makes you wonder how they found both parts of the broken blade

ReverofEnola

Your OP asks about what I would want to see, not about what "should" happen. Maybe that's not the question you intended to pose, but if so you should have worded it more carefully.
Oh no. I have no issues with your post.

It's just I wanted to know the reasoning behind it. Your answer was good & was still within the original purpose of my question.

Top Bottom