• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ideas for a live action DMC movie?

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Wonder how you would make a good Devil May Cry live action movie series? Who to cast right? Original story? Adapt some games?

And please no making fun of it.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Can't see how a live action movie would work without heavily being edited with CGI

Human beings can't move at the speeds of the sons of sparda

That's why an animated movie would work better

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Normally I would be opposed to such a thing, but then I remember the horror show "Garo" being everything I would've wanted from a live action DMC series and that was in 2005.

If they produced something like that with updated effects and whatnot, then I'd be more than happy.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
This is probably the 7th or 8th time this thread has popped up :sneaky:

In my screenwriting book, the author describes adaptations as second drafts so that's how I'd approach the series. I'd try to highlight the series strengths and downplay/course-correct its shortcomings. As much as we like to rail against its shortcomings, DMC has a lot going for it that could translate well to screen.

The Hellboy movies would probably be a good inspiration. The movies are a mix of comic adaptations(2004 and the upcoming one) and original material (Hellboy 2: the golden army) so I'd probably go in that direction. I'll try and avoid doing another reboot tho- wouldn't want to give y'all a heart attack.

PS. I make no promises. :wink:

Last edited:

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Personally, movies based on games are a bad idea. But as a DMC fan, and a film school graduate. If by some miracle granted by every single deity from every religion and mythology known to man I were to get the chance to do it. Here's some ideas I got.
  1. The overall plot would be in-line with DmC's plot, but with some aspects from the classic series.
  2. Dante and Vergil's backstory would be the same as the classic series. (Sparda would have rebelled because he "awoke to justice" and died mysteriously, Eva would be human)
  3. Dante would have white hair from the beginning , and he and Vergil would actually transform into demons when they devil trigger. Besides this, they'd basically have their DmC outfits. (Also, obviously since Eva's human. They're just half-demons, not Nephilim)
  4. Rebellion, Ebony & Ivory, and Yamato would resemble their classic counterparts (Especially DMC5 in Rebellion's case, loved that damascus steel pattern)
  5. Mundus (Who's name would be pronounced like it was in the original series) would have a human form, but his demon form would look more like the original version
  6. Kat and Lady would basically be fused. She'd have Kat's psychic powers and would have some action girl moments, and I would try to squeeze in at-least one scene of her using a rocket launcher. Don't know if I'd name her Kat or Mary, but for the most part she'd be called Lady.
  7. Arkham would be a secondary antagonist and Mundus' right hand man. He'd have some aspects of Bob Barbas applied to him, and would have been Mundus' 'high priest' who sacrificed his wife in a ritual to become a demon. Yes he would still be Lady's father. Thinking his full name could be Robert Arkham.
  8. *EDIT*: I may try to work-in baby Nero lol
That's what I got for now

Last edited:

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Personally, movies based on games are a bad idea. But as a DMC fan, and a film school graduate. If by some miracle granted by every single deity from every religion and mythology known to man I were to get the chance to do it. Here's some ideas I got.
  1. The overall plot would be in-line with DmC's plot, but with some aspects from the classic series.
  2. Dante and Vergil's backstory would be the same as the classic series. (Sparda would have rebelled because he "awoke to justice" and died mysteriously, Eva would be human)
  3. Dante would have white hair from the beginning , and he and Vergil would actually transform into demons when they devil trigger. Besides this, they'd basically have their DmC outfits. (Also, obviously since Eva's human. They're just half-demons, not Nephilim)
  4. Rebellion, Ebony & Ivory, and Yamato would resemble their classic counterparts (Especially DMC5 in Rebellion's case, loved that damascus steel pattern)
  5. Mundus (Who's name would be pronounced like it was in the original series) would have a human form, but his demon form would look more like the original version
  6. Kat and Lady would basically be fused. She'd have Kat's psychic powers and would have some action girl moments, and I would try to squeeze in at-least one scene of her using a rocket launcher. Don't know if I'd name her Kat or Mary, but for the most part she'd be called Lady.
  7. Arkham would be a secondary antagonist and Mundus' right hand man. He'd have some aspects of Bob Barbas applied to him, and would have been Mundus' 'high priest' who sacrificed his wife in a ritual to become a demon. Yes he would still be Lady's father. Thinking his full name could be Robert Arkham.
  8. *EDIT*: I may try to work-in baby Nero lol
That's what I got for now

What about weapons? And what about altering Lilith?

And Trish? Lucia? And the Order of the Sword?

Last edited:

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
What about weapons? And what about altering Lilith?
No ideas yet for Lilith, I might just keep the weapons to the defaults. Not sure how many demon fights I can add in before the plot becomes incoherent EDIT* As for Trish, Lucia, and The Order of the sword?.....Hey man I gotta save some things for the sequel if there's one

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'm probably not gonna do the whole shared universe thing because I don't have that kinda time/energy to devote to it.

Although DMC x Darkstalkers could finally become a reality.....:whistle:

However, an expanded universe is fair game. Lady/Trish deserves a spinoff and it'll be a chance to make my V spinoff canon....:sneaky:

(Insert evil laughter)

To get back on track- some of the bosses/weapons/level would have to be cut for the sake of pacing. Granted some of it could be saved if we repurpose it for the story- ie- Lady/Dante reluctantly team up to solve a puzzle/fight Gigapede in 3.

Last edited:

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
So I read DmC's prequel comic. So back when Vergil and Kat first met, they actually developed romantic feelings for eachother. Before Vergil erased their memories of it Has me thinking (back to what I said about trying to add baby Nero). I may make her Nero's mom.

Side Note: Be cool if it turned out Nero's mom was the DMC version of Kat. Her name could be Katherine, and she could be a psychic, maybe Vergil got her attention because she sensed his connection to Sparda?

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
warmbodies-1352450364_600.jpg

My sister was clearing out all her DVD’s the other day and she asked me if I wanted to watch a zombie movie called Warm Bodies. It stars Nicholas Hoult (pictured above) and as soon as I saw the DVD cover I instantly got a DmC Dante vibe from him. He’d be an interesting choice if it was a DmC movie imo.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
warmbodies-1352450364_600.jpg

My sister was clearing out all her DVD’s the other day and she asked me if I wanted to watch a zombie movie called Warm Bodies. It stars Nicholas Hoult (pictured above) and as soon as I saw the DVD cover I instantly got a DmC Dante vibe from him. He’d be an interesting choice if it was a DmC movie imo.
Oh my god, I can't unsee it. lol, okay I only really know him as young Hank McCoy/Beast from X-Men, so hard to picture him with Dante's cocky sense of humor. But hey, who knows? That's why it's called acting.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Oh my god, I can't unsee it. lol, okay I only really know him as young Hank McCoy/Beast from X-Men, so hard to picture him with Dante's cocky sense of humor. But hey, who knows? That's why it's called acting.

Should it follow the story close to the game he’d only have to start out more cocky to begin with and then just work his way into being serious. Can’t really judge his work as only ever remember seeing him in About a Boy and he was a lot younger then.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Should it follow the story close to the game he’d only have to start out more cocky to begin with and then just work his way into being serious. Can’t really judge his work as only ever remember seeing him in About a Boy and he was a lot younger then.
Just remembered, he also played Nux in Mad Max: Fury Road.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Ronin I think you might have to drop the fact that they are identical twins or cast unknowns in the role.

----------------------
Josh Hartnett of Penny Dreadful and Ian Somerhaulder of Vampire Diaries are my picks for Dante.

I think you could do the movies from Nero's perspective but I don't think Nero can handle it as a character. He falls into the "Mini-me" trap most of the early DC sidekicks fell into. Granted that could be a boon as you could be more experimental with him going forward.

He and Lady/Trish work better as spinoffs than entries to me. V could also work but having him be the good part of Vergil killed his potential for me. Granted maybe just do a Vergil Spinoff?

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Ronin
Alex Garland would be a good choice. He has some good hits to his name, is a writer/director, and has a love of videogames/pop culture. He already has an existing relationship with NT over Enslaved and has a story advisor credit for DmC.

Screenwriters are harder to recommend because they get less recognition than Directors.

Joss Whedon could also work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom