• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Hypothetical Scenario: DmC's PR

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
I thought you missed on those... I was under that assumption. Sorry to confuse you there!
The westernization really doesn't matter. DmC's setting is what can also be seen around Dante's office in the original DMC...
Only DMC3 and DMC4 had those anime/manga vibes and tropes. DMC1, and even DMC2 for that matter, does not have those...

In Capcom's eyes, the books aren't even canon. So the guys there want you to believe that. There are others who consider them more canon than, Say DMC3. One even said that DMC3 is a retcon and that DMC Novel Vol. 1 should've been the prequel.

I don't know what you mean. I haven't seen anything in DmC that looks much like DMC1. DMC1 had a slightly depressing horror style with gothic-looking environments. DmC just doesn't have that. Like I said, it's like Mania from Oblivion: everything is much brighter than in DMC1 and 2, and there isn't exactly a horror element to it either. At least, not a horror element that one should find scary. What little horror there is is more disturbing than scary.

Part of what I mean is that DmC is geared more towards what the western gamer finds appealing right now. And in the end, it doesn't matter that DMC1 didn't have very much an anime vibe to it, because DMC3 and DMC4 did. The series had changed to become anime-like, and people had accepted that. DMC3 is still known as the best DMC. Then DmC comes along and decides to change everything about the series except for its gameplay and some story elements. A lot of people got ****ed because of that.

- anime style
I'll have to disagree. DMC1 Dante was pretty much a posterboy for manga-type protagonists. He even looks the part. Aside from that, the game plays out like a manga, sort of. Flying away in a plane with some corny dialog... being really gaudy and flashy... it all seems anime-like to me. Though, like somebody else said, I do see influence from Van Helsing and such things.

- the novels
Fair enough. Though I would rather just stick to the story the games have laid out for us, and disregard all the books altogether, because bringing the novels into the mix just makes everything more confusing than it should be. Most people haven't even read the novels (unless they're fans of manga).

Last edited:

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
I don't know what you mean. I haven't seen anything in DmC that looks much like DMC1. DMC1 had a slightly depressing horror style with gothic-looking environments. DmC just doesn't have that. Like I said, it's like Mania from Oblivion: everything is much brighter than in DMC1 and 2, and there isn't exactly a horror element to it either. At least, not a horror element that one should find scary. What little horror there is is more disturbing than scary.

Part of what I mean is that DmC is geared more towards what the western gamer finds appealing right now. And in the end, it doesn't matter that DMC1 didn't have very much an anime vibe to it, because DMC3 and DMC4 did. The series had changed to become anime-like, and people had accepted that. DMC3 is still known as the best DMC. Then DmC comes along and decides to change everything about the series except for its gameplay and some story elements. A lot of people got ****ed because of that.

- anime style
I'll have to disagree. DMC1 Dante was pretty much a posterboy for manga-type protagonists. He even looks the part. Aside from that, the game plays out like a manga, sort of. Flying away in a plane with some corny dialog... being really gaudy and flashy... it all seems anime-like to me. Though, like somebody else said, I do see influence from Van Helsing and such things.

- the novels
Fair enough. Though I would rather just stick to the story the games have laid out for us, and disregard all the books altogether, because bringing the novels into the mix just makes everything more confusing than it should be. Most people haven't even read the novels (unless they're fans of manga).
You're missing my point! ><
Take a good look at Limbo's streets and buildings. They look so similar to the surroundings outside the DMC office, the buildings and roads I mean! DMC3 and DMC4 were even brighter than DMC1 and DMC2 too... -_-

Gameplay and some story elements unchanged for DmC were fine enough! I really don't give a damn on the rest of what you're saying, especially on the 'DMC3 is the best DMC'. I used to believe in that, but now I dont't care... -_-

I hardly sense any anime vibes in DMC1... But yeah, looks like there's Van Helsing in that Dante vibe too, not just Blade or even Space Captain Cobra (also one of Original Dante's influences).

But I'm sticking to nothing unlike you and most fans! I don't care what's even canon anymore! The continuity sucks big time now!

If you think I'm being all but uncaring and getting all agiated by your views, think again! This is my disdain, disillusionment, dissatisfaction, and disappointment towards the DMC franchise as a whole! T_T

I'm really tired right now... Gonna go to sleep. Good night, new DMC.org user!
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
^While I don't share all of Migs views, I definitely see where he's coming from.

There are areas of Limbo that seem similar to the city in the classic DMCs.

And while I adore 3 and 4 (I've said it before, I always have to reiterate, in case someone misinterprets; I love DMC1, as well), they were pretty bright, and what DMC game is the best is pretty subjective, since not everyone is going to feel the same way-which is completely fine, provided they're civil toward one another (pfft, like that happens a whole hell of a lot; welcome to the internet, folks...).

You've both made some pretty good points though, overall. :)

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
You're missing my point! ><
Take a good look at Limbo's streets and buildings. They look so similar to the surroundings outside the DMC office, the buildings and roads I mean! DMC3 and DMC4 were even brighter than DMC1 and DMC2 too... -_-

Gameplay and some story elements unchanged for DmC were fine enough! I really don't give a damn on the rest of what you're saying, especially on the 'DMC3 is the best DMC'. I used to believe in that, but now I dont't care... -_-

But I'm sticking to nothing unlike you and most fans! I don't care what's even canon anymore! The continuity sucks big time now!

If you think I'm being all but uncaring and getting all agiated by your views, think again! This is my disdain, disillusionment, dissatisfaction, and disappointment towards the DMC franchise as a whole! T_T

I'm really tired right now... Gonna go to sleep. Good night, new DMC.org user!
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

And you're missing my point: some environments might look a bit like the DMC1 environments, who knows. I haven't seen anything that's very DMC1-like though. Maybe some small things. I don't care if 'roads' look like the surroundings outside the DMC office. It's not surprising if they do: they're roads... how many looks can roads have? I'm talking about the environments in the *entire* game. There were not many floating environments in DMC1. They also were not bright and manic. DmC also has a 'punk' feeling to it. The DMCs do not.

DMC3 and DMC4 were even brighter than DMC1 and DMC2 too... -_-

Only a little bit. They still had a gothic feel to them. And DMC3 and 4 also had an anime feel. So again, you're missing my point. DmC changed Devil May Cry almost entirely aside from the gameplay, and it was unnecessary.

dmchdrevpic1.jpg

DmC does not look like this.

images

DmC does not look like this either.

I really don't give a damn on the rest of what you're saying, especially on the 'DMC3 is the best DMC'.

If you don't give a damn about what I say, then why respond? And why be so hostile? I was just giving you a fact, I wasn't saying anything about what *you* should think. You sound conflicted.

''But I'm sticking to nothing unlike you and most fans! I don't care what's even canon anymore! The continuity sucks big time now!''

Sucks bigtime now? It always sucked - that didn't suddenly change with DMC4. DMC3 also didn't make much sense continuity-wise. Sounds to me like you've been deceiving yourself about the games for years.

''If you think I'm being all but uncaring and getting all agiated by your views, think again! This is my disdain, disillusionment, dissatisfaction, and disappointment towards the DMC franchise as a whole! T_T''

Sorry if this sounds annoying to you, but you *are* projecting your anger towards me. I've done nothing wrong, so please have some respect. And again, sounds like you've been deceiving yourself for years. Anyway, the fact that the DMC franchise doesn't always make complete sense doesn't mean you should abandon it. If you like DmC, fine.

Yeah, the DMC series has errors sometimes, but I realized that when I picked up DMC4. And you know what? I didn't care that DMC is flawed. We create our own story of DMC in our minds. I like to think that Dante *did* meet Vergil when he was 19. Even with the fight against Nero Angelo in DMC1, it's not impossible that he did. I see no continuity problems with DMC2; it's just Dante beating Arius. In DMC4, we have the problem of Nero. But his origins can also be explained, if they put some effort into it. The game itself was also not that bad. So all in all, there's not much reason to hate the DMCs.

Last edited:

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Again, the point is that the DMC games all had some kind of gothic and horror feel to it, even DMC4 (albeit less). The characters were all a bit anime-like. Even characters like Lucia from DMC2, even though DMC2 and DMC1 indeed have very little anime-ness to them.

To me, a game is more than just its gameplay. I've heard so many people say ''well, it's got the Stinger attack in it, so I think it's good''. F*** that! Devil May Cry is the sum of all its parts: story, gameplay, graphics, characters, soundtrack, and acting.

- Change the soundtrack? Fine, as long as it doesn't become Rihanna nonsense. Soundtrack is probably the least important part of it.
- Change the actors? Alright.
- Change the story to make it start over, or change it to tell a new story? No problem.
But you *can't* change the type of characters, the types of environments, the overworld and all those kinds of things. Well, you can, but you should do it *after* the DMC series ended, not replacing the DMC games with DmC. I also see people call DaNTe 'Dante', and I just think that is so wrong. Sure, he is called Dante, but he is not the same guy as from DMC. Somebody on this forum even called him 'unrecognizable'. If he is unrecognizable, and if DmC itself doesn't look much like Devil May Cry, then why call it Devil May Cry? Why isn't it a spin-off instead of a reboot? It makes little sense.

I can't enjoy DmC as much as the previous games because it does not have the type of characters I fell in love with or the world I fell in love with. It isn't a bad game, in fact it's quite decent, but it's not a Devil May Cry game to me. And many people feel the same way. It's not about Dante's hair, it's not about his clothing, it's about his soul and the soul of DmC in its entirety. Do you really think DmC got disappointing sales due to 'bad PR'? Obviously not. Do you think it got bad sales just because it's a reboot? One look at Batman should convince you that's bull. DmC just wasn't Devil May Cry-like enough for most people. And when it's essentially *replacing* the DMC games, that's a big problem.

I understand that might sound like 'fear of change', but if that were true, I would not have enjoyed DMC2 after DMC1, nor DMC3 after 1 and 2. Or DMC4 after DMC3, because they were all a bit different.

Last edited:

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
And you're missing my point: some environments might look a bit like the DMC1 environments, who knows. I haven't seen anything that's very DMC1-like though. Maybe some small things. I don't care if 'roads' look like the surroundings outside the DMC office. It's not surprising if they do: they're roads... how many looks can roads have? I'm talking about the environments in the *entire* game. There were not many floating environments in DMC1. They also were not bright and manic. DmC also has a 'punk' feeling to it. The DMCs do not.

DMC3 and DMC4 were even brighter than DMC1 and DMC2 too... -_-

Only a little bit. They still had a gothic feel to them. And DMC3 and 4 also had an anime feel. So again, you're missing my point. DmC changed Devil May Cry almost entirely aside from the gameplay, and it was unnecessary.

dmchdrevpic1.jpg

DmC does not look like this.

images

DmC does not look like this either.

I really don't give a damn on the rest of what you're saying, especially on the 'DMC3 is the best DMC'.

If you don't give a damn about what I say, then why respond? And why be so hostile? I was just giving you a fact, I wasn't saying anything about what *you* should think. You sound conflicted.

''But I'm sticking to nothing unlike you and most fans! I don't care what's even canon anymore! The continuity sucks big time now!''

Sucks bigtime now? It always sucked - that didn't suddenly change with DMC4. DMC3 also didn't make much sense continuity-wise. Sounds to me like you've been deceiving yourself about the games for years.

''If you think I'm being all but uncaring and getting all agiated by your views, think again! This is my disdain, disillusionment, dissatisfaction, and disappointment towards the DMC franchise as a whole! T_T''

Sorry if this sounds annoying to you, but you *are* projecting your anger towards me. I've done nothing wrong, so please have some respect. And again, sounds like you've been deceiving yourself for years. Anyway, the fact that the DMC franchise doesn't always make complete sense doesn't mean you should abandon it. If you like DmC, fine.

Yeah, the DMC series has errors sometimes, but I realized that when I picked up DMC4. And you know what? I didn't care that DMC is flawed. We create our own story of DMC in our minds. I like to think that Dante *did* meet Vergil when he was 19. Even with the fight against Nero Angelo in DMC1, it's not impossible that he did. I see no continuity problems with DMC2; it's just Dante beating Arius. In DMC4, we have the problem of Nero. But his origins can also be explained, if they put some effort into it. The game itself was also not that bad. So all in all, there's not much reason to hate the DMCs.
You focused on those parts a little too much already! Sure, DmC didn't even have those. But so freaking what? I was entirely focused on the entire city where the DMC office is. And I saw some things similar between that and Limbo. At least @Rebel Dynasty here saw where I'm coming from... T_T

First four DMCs had gothic themes? Yeah, I like sure. Buth, meh, what do I care? In the end, the setting really doesn't matter as long as there are demons who lurk...
And no floating environments in DMC? Do please check the beginning of Mission 16 of DMC3 as an example. It's a hellacious bit of platforming. It's even more complex when doing the 12th and final Secret Mission there too in which the environment is the same as of Mission 16.
That being said, I'll openly admit older DMCs also has platforming; otherwise, what else is the purpose of Dante jumping asides from him dodging attacks?

Sure, you said a fact... Long ago, I accepted that fact. DMC3 is still my most fav DMC game to date. As time goes by, I discarded that fact. There's no such thing as best or worst anymore, for nothing is without flaws...

Deceiving myself? Projecting my anger on you? What's wrong with me saying my disdain for this?
If I did direct the anger I've held for years to you, then let me apologize... I'm tired. I'm burned out. I'm saddened. There's neglect all over me. So yes, I got conflicted, not exactly deceiving myself... :(
I knew of its original intentions for this. This isn't what the original team wanted! Capcom made DMC2 without them knowing! It's a cold hard truth I have seen and it hits me really really hard! I got disillusioned and that's it... Maybe it would've been better if DMC was just one game, a one-hit-wonder which would soon be forgotten, like Chaos Legion after it... But I never said I'd disassociate myself from the entire franchise. No no no...
Also, I've seen others who felt the same things as me, even before I got disillusioned. I began to understand them when I saw their points... Points most people, including yourself, may not even know... They hit me reslly hard!

Top Bottom