• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

how would YOU have directed DmC?

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
Another lengthy post incoming, reader beware! Skip to the TL;DR if you don't have time for this ****

Some of the more obvious fixes that could be done:
No more platforming, puzzles, keys, or grapple swinging. This is an action title, so if there has to be something that takes away from the action, I would only pick one or two important things (like story, or a customization element), but all of those things together is a really bloated, inelegant way to pace the game. It's like if someone just wanted to play peggle, but after every milestone they were forced to play a round of excite bike before continuing the game. It's a really lazy way to handle the intensity curve, which is to say they didn't know how to handle it so they just make you play a different game every now and then to avoid fatigue.

I would also bring back the DMC3 loadout system, where a character has to pick which weapons and styles they want to equip at the start of the level. Having access to every style and weapon at the same time meant everything had to be nerfed heavily, to account for players suddenly having access to all of those things at once. In DMC3, the "baseline" difficulty curve was dante using zero styles. Every fight had to be balanced for a dante that might not be using swordmaster, or might not be a gunslinger, or might not be guarding, which meant that if you did use any of those things, you were extra powerful. Compare that to DMC4, where a player in melee can deal swordmaster damage, royal guard an attack, trickster to range, and then deal gunslinger ranged damage. Suddenly using all of these styles isn't bonus utility any more, it's become the norm.

Compare this to some of the crazy/clever bullshit you could see people pull off in DMC3, not to mention very unique playstyles based on loadout. A gunslinger using nevan bats as shields to buy time for artemis charges was completely different from an elemental swordmaster using A&R/cerberus, or a beowulf royal guard. In DMC3, gunslinger was so powerful that it was actually possible to clear the game only using guns, and still look stylish doing it. Similar things have been attempted in DMC4 and DmC, but nothing even remotely successful.

TL;DR - remove the non combat elements from the game, use different kinds and intensities of combat to meter the game, instead of splicing in different games. Bring back loadouts, because players mix and matching their characters was a lot more interesting than everybody having equal access to fewer and weaker weapons/styles.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Honestly, with all of these "Potential of DmC as a franchise threads", I'm thinking of doing a mrrandomlist thread centered around the games with the most wasted potential, not only including games that didn't get sequels, but games with sequels that missed the potential that the series had

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Well, I'm not sure a reboot was ever really necessary. I mean, if a reboot was inevitable, it should've been rebooted after DMC3, or even DMC2, since it pretty much retconned Dante when it comes to personality.

I would've gone back to a DMC1-like Dante, with maybe some elements from DMC2 Dante's clothing. His personality would be somewhere between DMC1 Dante and DMC3 Dante, I think. Less juvenile cussing, more witty remarks that really put enemies in their place. Vergil should be alluded to, but not immediately thrown into the first game: they need to build up suspense first, and they need to focus on building Dante's backstory and personality first. No sudden stuff like 'Hey Vergil, now I'm the great hero who will protect all of humanity from you!' I would remove the half-assed Illuminati social commentary and instead create a simple plot that focuses on some mature themes - and by mature I mean intellectually mature, not the movie theaters' 'gore and t!ts' definition of mature.
I don't know exactly what the story would be like, but Dante could be stuck in hell, needing to fight his way out of a prison. Or he just starts out in the human world, hunting his first demons, that suddenly appeared from a hell gate. That could be the tutorial. Maybe a general who knew Sparda and thinks of him as a traitor, would try to find you later. A spectacular battle ensues XD Maybe some other demon generals will try to beat you later, or in the sequel. Haven't figured out what else will happen... I'm not good at creating stories.

The gameplay would be comparable to DMC4, but maybe it should give you the chance to combine styles. For example, instead of needing to switch between Trickster and Swordmaster, you could be a Sword Trickster. Or a 'Trickslinger', lol. It could work like a specialization.
I would remove all the pointless platforming: only if the platforming introduces fun gameplay would I allow it. I wouldn't just use it for bridging gaps. I kind of liked Nero's Exceed mechanic, so maybe Dante could use that somehow. Maybe it would be his first use of his demonic power.

The soundtrack would maybe be a dark kind of rock, or at least something that gets your blood pumping. It doesn't always have to be hyperactive - I like it when it sounds disturbing or even eerie too. I don't really like dubstep, and call it corny, but I liked The Only Thing I Know for Real from Metal Gear Rising. Only without the singing.

The graphics would be like a more manic version of DMC1. Less dark all the time, but still disturbing, and sometimes as beautiful as paradise. Moody, I suppose.

Having said all that, I really like the idea of a reboot that focuses on Sparda first. He would be like a combination of DMC1 Dante and DMC3 Vergil, I guess. His story really is pretty interesting, and it makes a perfect prologue to the sequel - that's when Dante should be introduced. Anyway, Sparda could fight entire legions of hell, or the generals I mentioned earlier. It could be a pretty dramatic story if he had to fight some of his friends.

Last edited:

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
If most of these post are just post of how they would stick with the same stuff from DMC, then why comment on how you would do DmC?

You're just missing the entire point of reboot.
The question was how you would do a *reboot*, not how you would do DmC.
A reboot can be very similar to DMC, and it would still be a reboot. All the word reboot means is that it's a reboot of the story, viewed from a different angle. That angle doesn't have to be drastically different. Just like when you reboot your PC, it doesn't all of a sudden morph completely into a MacBook. I guess nobody really understands what reboot means.
Most of the answers here are about what *they* would like a reboot to be like. I don't see why it's not allowed for me to post what I would like the reboot to have been like.

Also, nobody said they would ''stick with the same stuff from DMC''. Nobody wants to rehash all the DMC games' plots. I just gave my view of what I would've liked the reboot to be like.

NessPSI

Tony Redgraaaave!
If i could i would have made DmC or another form of reboot focus around vergils story. We got to see dante's story already, multiple versions even thanks to the novels, manga, ect. I really wish we could go through vergils story for once! Starting off with a game about gilver(vergil from the novel), going through the next game as vergil. And finally ending off with the Nelo angelo in a climactic final battle against Dante! It would be a MUCH darker game though considering we all know how depressing Vergils ending is...But that would be my dream trilogy... :tongue: Or a game about Tony! Theres a whole novel about Tony and Gilber anyway, and it was even brought up in the anime!

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
If i could i would have made DmC or another form of reboot focus around vergils story. We got to see dante's story already, multiple versions even thanks to the novels, manga, ect. I really wish we could go through vergils story for once! Starting off with a game about gilver(vergil from the novel), going through the next game as vergil. And finally ending off with the Nelo angelo in a climactic final battle against Dante! It would be a MUCH darker game though considering we all know how depressing Vergils ending is...But that would be my dream trilogy... :tongue: Or a game about Tony! Theres a whole novel about Tony and Gilber anyway, and it was even brought up in the anime!
That comes just a bit too close to the old DMCs to me. Like Chancey said, it needs to be a reboot (a slight reimagining), not a prequel. What you're describing is like a prequel to the old DMCs, only from the perspective of classic Vergil.

That's not to say the reboot couldn't be much like the old DMCs, though. I'd still have DmC1 be an origins story, with Sparda being the main character. Then DmC2 would focus on the type of Dante I mentioned in my previous comment. It'd be all about building up Dante as a character. Maybe introduce Vergil somewhere 2/3 of the way in, or maybe in DmC3. Then in DmC4 you'd have the conclusion to the overall story, maybe with a battle against Mundus or some kind of corrupted Sparda. Or Vergil who has corrupted himself with the power of Sparda.

Well, any story is possible, really. You could come up with all kinds of ideas, and they'd all be pretty acceptable. I just threw some ideas out there. In any case, I would've made DmC more similar to DMC (preferably DMC3, with a DMC1-like Dante).

Last edited:

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel

Also, nobody said they would ''stick with the same stuff from DMC''. Nobody wants to rehash all the DMC games' plots. I just gave my view of what I would've liked the reboot to be like.
What I meant to say in that comment is that the question was basically 'how would you have made DmC?' My answer is that I would keep it more true to the old DMCs, but I would still reimagine the story and characters a bit. Like I said, Dante would be like a combination of DMC1 and 3 Dante, with some elements of DMC2 Dante's clothing. Gameplay similar to DMC4 only improved, and the possibility to combine styles... etc etc. Sorry, I'm repeating myself now :banghead:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
A reboot can be very similar to DMC, and it would still be a reboot. All the word reboot means is that it's a reboot of the story, viewed from a different angle. That angle doesn't have to be drastically different. Just like when you reboot your PC, it doesn't all of a sudden morph completely into a MacBook. I guess nobody really understands what reboot means.
Most of the answers here are about what *they* would like a reboot to be like. I don't see why it's not allowed for me to post what I would like the reboot to have been like.

The question is how would you have done DmC. I see mostly post of personal fanfictions to add to the original's canon.

And I know what a reboot is. It's just you guys who think DmC is drastically different. I've been playing since the inception and can honestly say, it really isn't a huge change. Sure it's not what you personally want, but I also think your idea of what defines Devil May Cry as a whole is just different from what I truly think really defines it.

Last edited:

Railazel

Personally, I would have made the game darker and more serious in tone with an even younger Dante, giving it the same feel as a survival horror by focusing on Dante's vulnerability.

Domenic93

Well, if I had to reboot the series, I would've still kept that Japanese-y over-the-top anime style instead of westernizing it.
Though I liked the concept of Limbo, but I wasn't overly fond of social satire that DmC did.
it's not like devil may cry didn't have limbo or something similar to limbo before, just look at that precission in the DMC3 intro when they all just break through and impale Dante, they obviously knew where they were going to show up before they got there

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
If I direscted it

1: Dante would be more "Constantine" than he already is! That's right, ladies and gentlemen EVEN MORE SWEARING AND WISECRACKS! With a side order of Genre savvy.

2: Kat would be more proactive, and slowly go darkside from overuse of black magic.

3. EVIL ANGEL ENEMIES!

4. While humans and demons call the twins "Dante and Vergil", Angels will call them "Samael" (Dante) and "Azazael" (Vergil)

5. Lady Cameo!

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
As much as like how DmC turned out, I definitely would've included more of the dark and sinister elements that were depicted in the early concept art. I also would've had Dante retain his original look, as well as the more horriffic elements.

In addition:
  • The tone of the story would be less of a contemporary demon story like the final product, and more of a hellish-noir like the Spawn HBO TV Series.
  • Have Vergil play a more active role in the missions alongside Kat (maybe having him communicate with Dante via radio signals, like Oracle from Arkham Asylum).
  • Have the Order Headquarters be the hub where Dante can buy upgrades and practice moves (and maybe buy enemy data and concept art from Vergil's humongous library).
  • Have an entirely new, more villainous, and original villain instead of recycling Mundus
  • Have two endings---an Angelic ending, and a Demonic Ending---based on which powers you used most often as the player. Look up Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II for a better example of what I'm talking about.
  • Make Dante poke fun at some of the old series' tropes some more (a lot of people got offended by the infamous wig scene, but I found it to be hilarious, and a nice homage. Some more little references like that would be cool).

Captain Xin

As much as like how DmC turned out, I definitely would've included more of the dark and sinister elements that were depicted in the early concept art. I also would've had Dante retain his original look, as well as the more horriffic elements.

In addition:
  • The tone of the story would be less of a contemporary demon story like the final product, and more of a hellish-noir like the Spawn HBO TV Series.
  • Have Vergil play a more active role in the missions alongside Kat (maybe having him communicate with Dante via radio signals, like Oracle from Arkham Asylum).
  • Have the Order Headquarters be the hub where Dante can buy upgrades and practice moves (and maybe buy enemy data and concept art from Vergil's humongous library).
  • Have an entirely new, more villainous, and original villain instead of recycling Mundus
  • Have two endings---an Angelic ending, and a Demonic Ending---based on which powers you used most often as the player. Look up Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II for a better example of what I'm talking about.
  • Make Dante poke fun at some of the old series' tropes some more (a lot of people got offended by the infamous wig scene, but I found it to be hilarious, and a nice homage. Some more little references like that would be cool).

That awkward moment when somebody on the Internet just took every words you wanna say away right before you're about to hit the reply button.

And I love the Spawn HBO TV Series, even though it honestly gave me nightmares back in the day.

*EDIT: Okay, just saw that original look you posted, scratch that, If there's anything I'm glad the developer left during the development of this game, it's THAT.

Last edited:
Top Bottom