• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How would like them to handle God in DmC2?

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
God was the typical invisible, all powerful being in DMC4 (Similar to the Judeo-Christian concept). Much like in reality "God" doesn't interact much in our world, same as in the DMC universe. SO basically its best to have Dante (like Nero) make some remark about "God" and leave it at that. You've played DMC4 right? Think about its religious tone.

berto

I Saw the Devil
God was the typical invisible, all powerful being in DMC4 (Similar to the Judeo-Christian concept). Much like in reality "God" doesn't interact much in our world, same as in the DMC universe. SO basically its best to have Dante (like Nero) make some remark about "God" and leave it at that. You've played DMC4 right? Think about its religious tone.
Sparda was God in DMC4. When Nero or anyone talks about God they talk about Sparda since he is the deity of Fortuna's religion.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Sparda was a demon they worshipped. Dante says and I quote "they worship a demon".
God is God and Sparda is Sparda in DMC4.
They worship a demon as a God. Their Savior is Sparda, they pray to Sparda and they await his return. If they have another God where are the images of him? If it's the Christian God why didn't I see a single cross in two temples? Their crest is the Sword of Sparda.

And I quote:

Last edited:

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
But Berial says about The Savior "A human posing as (a) God…? How ridiculous!"

This separates Sparda worship from a concept of "God."

berto

I Saw the Devil
But Berial says about The Savior "A human posing as (a) God…? How ridiculous!"

This separates Sparda worship from a concept of "God."
Berial was referring to Sanctus pretending to be God. Sparda was not a human so the statement was obviously not geared at him.

Sparda is the Savior in their creed and that statue was dubbed the Savior, meaning that Sanctus build it to stand in place for Sparda.

http://devilmaycry.wikia.com/wiki/The_Savior

Exejpgwmv

I don't know if I would be comfortable with the concept of God in a Devil May Cry game. It opens up a can of sticky worms.

If it is the idea of a higher being from the Abrahamic religions (Yaweh, Allah, God) then how would it be represented without causing upset or some kind of controversy? If that god is included, then how much more of the doctrines and dogma should also be included that also corroborates the existing DMC mythos?

Also, how would this fit in with demons running around in broad daylight and demon kings powerful enough to rule all humanity, kill a load of angels and drive the nephilim to extinction allowed to get away with it if an all powerful god existed in a DMC game? One would assume god would be powerful enough to step in and stop the demons, unless this follows the logic of 'god allows extreme suffering as a test' rubbish.
Well we ca
I don't know if I would be comfortable with the concept of God in a Devil May Cry game. It opens up a can of sticky worms.

If it is the idea of a higher being from the Abrahamic religions (Yaweh, Allah, God) then how would it be represented without causing upset or some kind of controversy? If that god is included, then how much more of the doctrines and dogma should also be included that also corroborates the existing DMC mythos?

Also, how would this fit in with demons running around in broad daylight and demon kings powerful enough to rule all humanity, kill a load of angels and drive the nephilim to extinction allowed to get away with it if an all powerful god existed in a DMC game? One would assume god would be powerful enough to step in and stop the demons, unless this follows the logic of 'god allows extreme suffering as a test' rubbish.
Handling the concept doesn't mean god has to represented in the typical way. You can even choose to make it so that there is no God.

Exejpgwmv

God enslaves humanity through religion? I can already see the cons of that turn out.

The reason why that would be a bad idea is that it will cause a lot of controversy by not only making God a bad guy, but also having to fight God as if he were an enemy and beat him. That would indicate that God is beatable, and would thus p*ss a lot of Christians, Catholics, and other religious groups that follow a single god off. And that's not something DmC needs.

There's a reason why God of War doesn't use Christianity deities as opponents.
As right as you may be. It'd be hard to just ignore something like this. I mean we have angles, demons, heaven and hell. So it'd be only natural for someone (not necessarily Dante himself) to ask, "Ok, what's God doing while all hells breaking lose on earth?"

Railazel

God enslaves humanity through religion? I can already see the cons of that turn out.

The reason why that would be a bad idea is that it will cause a lot of controversy by not only making God a bad guy, but also having to fight God as if he were an enemy and beat him. That would indicate that God is beatable, and would thus p*ss a lot of Christians, Catholics, and other religious groups that follow a single god off. And that's not something DmC needs.

There's a reason why God of War doesn't use Christianity deities as opponents.

You're also forgetting that God is defined as a philosophical Absolute which would make him impossible to beat.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
If they bring him into it, they're going to have to very, very careful where they tread.

(I'm actually seeing a double-standard with that, but honestly, I'm not as bothered as I thought I would be by it; huh, weird).

Anyway, they don't have to paint him in the most loving, perfect light, but it would be remiss to paint him negatively, either. Perhaps if they showed him as being a sort of impassive, "I've done all I can, the rest is up to you" type, that would soften the blow; not a bad guy, but a God that is uninterested in the goings-on between angels, demons, and humans (perhaps out of anger or self-pity that they disappointed him so much...I don't know, I'm grasping at straws, here).

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Sorry ya Scantus a human was posing as "God." Sparda was known as a powerful demon but not a or the"God". Berial is talking about the concept of "God". When Nero says he hated God for making his arm like that he was not referring to Sparda or the Savior but rather "God".

EllDawn

I'd rather he not be included, but if they did they should do the same as was done in Supernatural. God was more in the background, giving some signs while not really getting involved. Otherwise it's something that's too likely to cause even more negativity about this game, and it really doesn't need more.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I'd rather he not be included, but if they did they should do the same as was done in Supernatural. God was more in the background, giving some signs while not really getting involved. Otherwise it's something that's too likely to cause even more negativity about this game, and it really doesn't need more.

That was kind of my thought too; Supernatural was the first thing that came to mind. Not a malevolent God, but one that took a backseat, and let everyone sort their own messes out.

EllDawn

That was kind of my thought too; Supernatural was the first thing that came to mind. Not a malevolent God, but one that took a backseat, and let everyone sort their own messes out.
That's probably the best way to go about it. I'm sure people will take offense anyway, there's no way to avoid it, but this would also be closer to what we see in reality. And it also goes more with him being a father with children that don't listen and need to learn on their own.

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
If they do handle it......they should do what Futurama did.

No! Here me out! In Futurama, God is portrayed as a Chessmaster extraordinaire, a force of good, but subtle and slick. His most remembered quote from the episode that shows him is "If you do everything right, they wonder if you did anything at all"

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
If they do handle it......they should do what Futurama did.

No! Here me out! In Futurama, God is portrayed as a Chessmaster extraordinaire, a force of good, but subtle and slick. His most remembered quote from the episode that shows him is "If you do everything right, they wonder if you did anything at all"
Morgan Freeman?

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
I'd rather see God helping Dante and Vergil.

And reveal that after Christ's birth, death & resurrection. Plus after Paul was beheaded.

God appeared to Sparda in dreams. This'll be what made Sparda turn against his kind.

In Castlevania, Gabriel now Dracula said to the paladin that God showed him another path and that he is His chosen one.

In DmC, perhaps Dante will become one of God's chosen.

Snarks

There isn't a "God" or a Satan in the DMC games There isn't even any religion to be seen aside from the Order of the Sword. There are just demons, angels, and humans.

Top Bottom