• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How will Vergil come back in the next game?

DDutchguy

DmC hype
I'm gonna be that one guy to say that I think it's better if Vergil doesn't come back in a next DMC game (assuming it takes place after DMC1 and thus after 3 too).

One, it would make his defeat in DMC3 and 1 meaningful so it doesn't feel like Vergil keeps reappearing because the plot needs him to stay alive. Two, the story would have to find new ways to make itself interesting instead of relying on Vergil to do that. Sure the Dante/Vergil dynamic is interesting enough, but we already went through that in the third game. Instead a potential DMC5 could try to find new ways to build on its lore, most notably by talking about the elephant in the room: Sparda.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
it would make his defeat in DMC3 and 1 meaningful

You gotta look at the last moment we saw him in the timeline though. And that was in DMC1.

Now, his downfall (literally) in 3 was meaningful enough, cause we do see him rushing at Mundus in his weakened state, which leads to how he became Nero Angelo.
But in DMC1, honestly, I don't think his death was all that. He pretty much went down like a chump, without even much of a final fight scene, he just... exploded. Which I found pretty anticlimactic and looking back at it 16 years later, it doesn't feel like a proper sendoff.

I ain't saying he should come back over and over (except for being a playable character...), just once to give him that proper sendoff.

Of course, I would also be content with a spinoff or hell even a DLC campaign a la Vergil's Downfall, narrating his journey to meet Mundus between DMC3 and 1. The idea of visiting the Demon World as Vergil intrigues me, as well as seeing how he would interact with bosses or demons in general, as opposed to Dante. We had glimpses of that in DMC3 but not much.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I don't think Vergil's story is done, to be perfectly honest. I see a lot of fans not wanting him to return because they think he'd be pointless to the series now, but DMC 3-1 was just Vergil's downfall. And furthermore, his supposed 'death' if that's what it was, it was anticlimactic (as Foxtrot said). Definitely not the right way they should've ended his story.

Keeping him dead is extremely unfair to him as a character and as a part of DMC.

Top Bottom