• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How come the Force Edge didn't awaken when Arkham got the 2 Amulets and awoke Sparda's power?

Ixbran

Smashing~
Or Sparda made it so only someone of his bloodline could use the sword Sparda.
There is a problem with this one ...

So yeah, its likely the first one

Viper

Premium
Most probably Sparda made it so that only someone of his bloodline could activate the sword. Trish got Sparda cause it was Dante that activated it before giving it to her. And it remained that way for even Sanctus to use it, though with not much success cause he lacked love and compassion.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Another plot hole really. So play around with head canons.

I like the idea of it being something like Thor's Mjolnir, but the whole "love and compassion" thing sounds so sappy here. It's cooler in Scott Pilgrim.

Viper

Premium
Another plot hole really. So play around with head canons.

I like the idea of it being something like Thor's Mjolnir, but the whole "love and compassion" thing sounds so sappy here. It's cooler in Scott Pilgrim.
Sparda (the devil, not the sword) made love and compassion a totally badass thing. Everyone that dared to tell him otherwise got their rear end introduced to a very hard foot. :3

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I dunno about love, but all Arkham achieved is to take appearance of Sparda before dissolving into goo due to him being to weak to control power of Sparda. I doubt somebody of his level would be able to reawaken the sword.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Arkham had the two amulets to create the perfect amulet and the sword to give him Sparda's power. But only through being a son of Sparda or having Sparda's blood can one really use that power. Arkham simply became something that was false. He never was a true demon anyway.

I would say that when it concerns the weapons, you need demonic blood within you to be able to fully utilise them. Force Edge didn't change to its true form because Arkham was weak and couldn't even control the power he unleashed. Also Force Edge again I would say needed someone from Sparda's bloodline to initiate the change.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I dunno about love, but all Arkham achieved is to take appearance of Sparda before dissolving into goo due to him being to weak to control power of Sparda. I doubt somebody of his level would be able to reawaken the sword.

Basically this.

Even in the game files (or maybe it was on the paper manual in the game box) it's said that the form Arkham acquired (the blob form) came out from the evil he held in his heart rather than the actual power of Sparda. Meaning that he didn't acquired that power (duh), and that's why the sword didn't transform.

Dante was able to turn Force Edge because he actually is capable of love and compassion and so on, you know the story. That made him worthy to awake Sparda sword. Most likely him belonging to the Sparda bloodline had a part too.

Also, being worthy of the sword thanks to human feelings plays a role in utilizing it at its full potential too, not only in activating it. Let's not forget that none of its wielders in the series, meaning Trish, Sanctus, and if you count Force Edge, Arkham, have been able to properly use the power of the sword. Only Dante in the first game could.

Khundy

Berserker
Also we have two versions of the sword in special edition, Trish has the Sparda sword that is combined with Force edge also Vergil has its original form. Have you guys notice that Vergils spirit swords are force edges? Could he have Sparda swords for his summoned swords?

KRSkull

I will go with this theory

Sparda made it so only someone of his bloodline could use the sword Sparda.

Think about it in DMC3 The Rebillion changed after Dante was impaled by it.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I thought it was because in DMC3, Arkham threw away his own humanity and therefore, his ability to love, and that's what made it so incomplete. Vergil couldn't awaken it because he needed the other half of the amulet, but even then, he too probably couldn't open it, because he had no love in his heart to protect anyone and only wanted power--a power he wouldn't even get.

in DMC4, the sword was already released with the amulets and Dante's bloodline put into it. However that's all that's been released; just its cosmetic form, but not the true power that comes with it. This can only come with the love for humanity and the will to protect not out of fame like Sanctus did, but to protect out of actual love from the heart.

This is one of the reasons I think Trish can use it and utilize its power.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Everyone keeps overlooking the fact that devil arms are not just clunks of metal. they, too, have souls and even wills of their own.

I have to look up where I read it but the reason Dante can't devil trigger with Sparda in DMC1 is because it's waiting to confront that one enemy. It won't release its full power against anyone else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom