• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Hiroyuki "Japanese for FAIL" Kobayashi made DMC4 to appeal to Women (gamers)

moseslmpg

Hello. I saw tht this news had apparently not reached this forum and I suppose it is my unhappy duty to deliver it, alas.

First of all, I have to give props to Raz at the IGN board for bringing this to my attention, and I am going to basically just copy his post here:
Raz-Ma-Taz1 said:
http://thesilentchief.com/2010/07/14/hiroyuki-kobayashi-devil-may-cry-4-was-made-to-appeal-to-women-gamers/

S: It’s quite amazing that the Basara series, an action game series with a bunch of male leads, is so well received by both genders. It seems like companies are trying to figure out how to appeal to women, but are resorting to gender stereotyped games instead.

HK:I took similar steps while making Devil May Cry 4 as well. The first thing was to take away things girls don’t like, things that are disgusting and violent graphics or events. Also, big, buff, macho guys. There are girls that like that, but most girls like a realistic nice, sweet guy.

If we made someone like the Hulk, a big overly muscular guy, girls probably won’t be into that. If you take that character and tone him down a bit, make him more of a smart type, that little difference can change the perception of how females receive that character.

S:As a personal opinion, do you feel this is cross cultural or something just for Japan?

HK:With the characters we tested in Devil May Cry 4 the responses were very good. There wasn’t anyone saying ‘oh we wish you had this type of character’ and nobody said ‘oh we really wish you didn’t have this kind of character’. We were able to take the response from Devil May Cry 4 to fine tune the characters for this game.

=========================================================================================

Great, DMC4 was treated like a game of Twilight How i wish I could be hired and fired for 1 day at capcom so I can beat this guy up. I just love how he says this:

’"There wasn’t anyone saying ‘oh we wish you had this type of character’ and nobody said ‘oh we really wish you didn’t have this kind of character’

I dont know what fanbase hes been reading, but its pretty clear Nero was a whinny pain in the ass and certainly DID wish he wasnt in DMC.
All I can say is GOD DAMMIT KOBAYASHI, HOW CAN YOU BE SO STUPID AND SO EVIL AT THE SAME TIME.

I'll be back with a more in depth response.

OT and my longer response: http://boards.ign.com/devil_may_cry/b5258/193876557/r193886106/

Interesting discussion (pay attention to StuntXL's replies, especially on page 18): http://www.capcom-unity.com/devil_may_cry/go/thread/view/7401/25378105/Kobayashi:_DMC4_was_made_to_appeal_to_Women_(gamers)
-----------------------

So, how do people in this community feel about this?

moseslmpg

First response: DAMN YOU TO HELL* HIROYUKI KOBAYASHI. THAT IS NOT COOL DAMMIT. WTF NO. DMC4 JUST SUCKS AND SAYING IT IS FOR WOMEN JUST MAKES YOU AN INCOMPETENT PRODUCER AND A MISOGYNIST, YOU DONKEY'S RECTUM.

*Disclaimer: Hell and associated entities may not appear in your copy of DMC4. The Savior is not Hell nor should it be construed as any example, replacement, elaboration upon, or extension of Hell. Please see Dante's Inferno, GOW, DMC1, DMC2, DMC3, Wayne Barlowe, etc. for valid representations of Hell in the context of their respective fictional worlds.

Second response: DAMN YOU KOBAYASHI!!111! Ahem...now, for a more reasoned and thought out response. I hardly even know where to start.

First of all, in terms of business this makes no sense. Seriously, how much of the market base is constituted by female gamers? How many women don't play DMC only because it doesn't have a pretty(er) boy effeminate protagonist? How would alienating established fans for the sake of fickle women gamers help the series or company at all, especially considering that DMC4 was multiplatform and the 360 isn't even doing that well in Japan? Seriously, this makes as much sense as making Nero 3 gerbils in a human suit to appeal to the gerbil fanbase out there. WTF Kobayashi.

He has effectively removed the things that made DMC so unique so that it could appeal to people who were never going to be interested in the first place. Hell? It might scare the women. Extra costumes? They might confuse the women, I guess. Vergil? It might...I don't know, confuse them more? Realistic violence and scary demons? Again, scary for women. The problem is that the story of DMC4 was not deepened nor were the characters made any more relatable to appeal to the type og girl gamers who appreciate the emotional aspects of games such as RPGs. Sure, Nero cries a little, but I think generally the gamer is supposed to cry, not the character they are playing.

It is like you have a type of hotcake that everyone loves which is selling so well they even went and developed an idiom for it. And then you think, "hmm, how can I get people that hate eating cake to want to eat this hotcake?" and your solution is to take out the sugar, and flour, and hotness, but still keep it shaped like a cake but an upside down one. WTF Kobayashi.

Secondly, Kobayashi is obviously out of touch with women and has a severely underdeveloped Anima archetype. He said that he wanted to take away things girls don't like, like violence and disgusting graphics (must have missed Mitis Forest, ba-zing!) or events (I'm not even going to comment on dice and moving those whirling blade things). Hmm, last time I checked, this wasn't the 1950s when we had to shield women's fragile and inferior minds from things that aren't sugar and spice and everything nice.

Women are not dainty porcelain figurines made from treacle and lace, and to assume that girl gamers find violence or disgusting things insufferable supposes that they are somehow inferior from male gamers, who can handle those things. It is extremely offensive. The fact that girl gamers lack a penis does not mean they all want to play My Little Pony meets Barbie's Playhouse, and to think so is pure, unadulterated sexism. Girls play DMC, presumably for the same reason guys do: because they want a taste of Stylish Hardcore Gothic Action with a dose of badassery and demonic imagery.

Furthermore, unless mine eyes have deceived me all these years, fangirls are quite taken with the existing "macho" figures of Dante and Vergil, hence all the yaoi fanfics. I never saw any requests for more effeminate or androgynous protagonists, nor did I see any fangirls lamenting the disgusting sight of Vergil's chiseled abs and supermodel-like icy scowl, neither did I hear any complaints from them when they unlocked Dante's shirtless costume. This may be a stereotype on my part, but women generally find men with larger muscles more attractive (cf. Dan Southworth) than more effeminate versions of them, and given the hyperbolic nature of games, this would seem to apply even more so to games. Really, Kobayashi is skirting a paradox here: he claims to be making DMC4, ostensibly a stylish action game (by definition, full of things that women dislike according to him), appealing to women, by taking out things that make it a DMC game in the first place (violence, disgusting things, Hell, Vergil) for fear that it will put them off. What you end up with is a game that is too DMC for women who aren't already fans to be interested in, and a game that isn't DMC enough to appease the angry fans after such a dickhead move.

Thirdly, DMC4 is more offensive to women than any DMC game so far. Now, I recognize that DMC isn't known for its focus on the female element, and it is all macho, with the guns and sharp phallic symbols, but at least the previous games had the courtesy to ignore what they couldn't portray correctly. Like, for instance, I am a guy, so I recognize that I can't really write for a female character very well and I generally don't pretend that my attempts will be true to life at all.

If the previous DMC games ignored the feminine, then DMC4 basically sexually assaults in the workplace, slaps it around when it gets drunk, has sex with it for like 3 minutes then rolls over and asks for a sandwich, gets it a frying pan for Christmas because it knows how much it likes to cook and clean, and buys lingerie for its own birthday for the feminine to wear while cooking and cleaning. I guess you could say DMC4 rapes the feminine, but, as Kobayashi has been careful to assure, not in a violent or disgusting manner.

Oh DMC4, how dost thou offend women? Let me count the ways.
1. Kyrie. A stereotypical damsel in distress who has no admirable personal characteristics, and properly, does not speak out of turn or hardly at all, except in a trembling, small voice in accordance with her role subservient to all other men in the Order, who she also provides entertainment for. She is devout and submissive, and she is used only as bait for the main character to rescue, a mannequin made for the sole purpose of allowing the protagonist to understand his own destiny and resolve his own emotional issues. She even dies and is apparently remade specifically for this purpose. She also cooks and stuff for Nero, in the novel.
Message: Women should not speak unless spoken to, their place is in the kitchen and they get in trouble if they leave it, and women cannot do anything without the help of men, and women are perfectly acceptable objects to use as bargaining chips in the very important affairs of men and their institutions.
Also: Kyrie is saved by an effeminate man-child rather than a macho man, thus implying that women are weaker than even the softest, sissiest of men.

2. Whoria--I mean, Gloria. Do I really need to say anything here? An extremely inappropriately clothed tanned women with large (unnecessarily bouncy) breasts and very impractical places for storing weapons, and apparently a dislike for any kind of undergarments. She infiltrates and quickly rises through the ranks of the Order (I wonder how...hint: you an see it inside the Savior statue), a religious institution, for the purposes of destroying it. This is in contrast to the men who presumably worked hard to achieve their positions. Her clothes are extremely impractical, and even painful for actual women to wear, especially during combat situations and in frigid temperatures. This Whoria instantly changes into Trish in the game, with no comment or apparent surprise from males in the game.
Message: Women are either virgins or they are whores who use their sexuality to unfairly trick men into promoting them to positions they shouldn't ever have, and women's sexuality is evil, and women are nothing more than sex dolls with no personality or feelings; you've seen one whore, you've seen them all.

3. Lady. A previously respectable, strong women who dressed slightly more conservatively and practically given her occupation is given a boob job, a makeover, an outfit that is totally impractical and unnecessarily slutty, and an unhealthy fixation on money. Basically, Lady went form the most respectable and sympathetic and serious female character in the series, to a gold digging lazy slut. Her new outfit shows tons of cleavage and gives no support for combat situations, and has shorts that are so short that there is nowhere to store ammo and guns. She is apparently allergic to work now, doing absolutely nothing in DMC4, and cares only about money where she used to be serious and thoughtful and concerned with eradicating demons. She used to be troubled and conflicted, scarred by her past, but apparently, she got some laser resurfacing of those pesky scars about he same time as the boob job and Gucci shades.
She is seen, along with Trish, lounging around Dante's shop, flaunting her cleavage and backing Dante up in Charlie's Angels style.
Message: Women only really care about money and will suck your wallet dry for everything you have while you continue to do all the work, there is nothing in a woman's past that a boob job and some Gucci can't fix, it is more important for women you work with to be eye candy than to actually be productive and helpful, even complex women are really just shallow and materialistic.

4. Echidna. The only female boss, a she-viper, literally the mother of all monsters, and a grumpy bitch that whines and grates about things, and literally devours men. She is constantly concerned with only reproduction and really has no depth beyond that. Slap her around enough and she stops bothering you.
Message: Women are annoying bitches who only care about "devouring" men for their seed to reproduce with. Slap women around enough and they will stop bothering you.

5. Savior and the rest of the game. The game is based on the Order which is about as male dominated as it gets. They might as well just call it the Order of the Penis. Yamato penetrates so many things in this game that it should make heterosexual men uncomfortable (Kobayashi says: WOMEN LOVE IT!!!). Lucifer acquisition scene shows Dante is a male chauvinist pig. There is a giant vagina (Kobayashi says:EEWW GROSS) inside of the Savior (penetrated by Yamato) which traps Nero and which he has to escape from. Oh yeah, and total disregard for the feminine principle in general (Eva is not even mentioned)

Fourthly,
Kobayashi said:
HK:With the characters we tested in Devil May Cry 4 the responses were very good. There wasn’t anyone saying ‘oh we wish you had this type of character’ and nobody said ‘oh we really wish you didn’t have this kind of character’. We were able to take the response from Devil May Cry 4 to fine tune the characters for this game.
Is he serious? He doesn't answer the question, and then says that there was no negative feedback at all for characters in DMC4? WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON? IS THIS THE TWILIGHT ZONE?
Koba said:
A lot of the same staff that made Devil May Cry 4 are making this game, as well. We have all of the experience of making an action game and know how to create really good characters.
I think I missed the part where they made a really good character? Did he make Arkham? Dante? Vergil? Lady? No, then STFU Kobayashi.

Fifthly: Kobayashi, you suck. You are a grossly inept and incompetent worker in the game industry whose involvement in projects inevitably and necessarily leads only to their debasement and devolution, and to top it off, you are clueless about this effect to the point that you praise yourself for supposed developments, which are really on the result of the rest of the team pulling enough weight to balance out your deathblow to the game for long enough for it to tread water before taking the entire ship down with it. And even then, you don't have the integrity or character to go down with the ship that you sabotaged and refuse to admit to any shortcomings on your part, to the detriment of the gaming community worldwide. Do not work on DMC5. Do not work on any game that is not already a colossal failure lest you make it a colossal failure.
----

I would say that Kobayashi was doing this just to get some, but since this wouldn't attract any women, I don't think so. I think Kobayashi is possibly just into more effeminate guys personally, and he couldn't really get into the twins, so he made Nero. I don't know. I am at a loss for words. I am dumbfounded that this man could make DMC4 such a pile of slop, congratulate himself for it, and then say it was all part of his plan to do something which is the opposite of what actually happened. I did not know that he could do so much damage to one series in such a short time.

If the above has not been explicit enough, it is apparent that Kobayashi is extremely dense, grossly incompetent in his judgment as a producer, and is on top of that an egotistical misogynist. Someone needs to shove a DB right up his ass (but not in a violent or disgusting manner).
Pasted my longer response here, in case people don't want to go to the links. I do recommend looking at the Capcom-Unity link however. Stunt is far more articulate than I am.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Hey Koba troll: You took out the best bits.
Koba admitted that most DMC fans were p***ed at the fact a new character was added, and admitted that it shouldn't have happened.

I suppose putting the whole 'romance' they put into would make it appeal to women gamers. WRONG!
I think Gloria was a bit over-the-top too... but then again, you gotta keep the male fans interested.

Come on, the dude's a jackass anyway. He hated Vergil. So Vergil wouldn't have been in DMC4 anyway

(I'll have a rant when i start making sense)

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
The game didn't suck just because Nero was introduced. I wish people would get that through their thick skulls... Koba was right on one count. Nero being put in was a GOOD idea.

moseslmpg

VB: Where is this admission? I have never seen Koba admit to being wrong about anything.

Dread: Including Nero was a bad idea, even if he is a good character on his own. But this isn't even about Nero.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
Including Nero wasn't a bad idea, because in my honest opinion, they've used up all of the decent story paths they can do with Dante. I assume that if they make a game that takes place after DMC2 in the storyline, and it's ALL about Dante, it will suck, because there's simply not much else to do with Dante except send him on the vague, demon bounty hunt.

With Nero...not only a new style of swordplay has been introduced, but because of the difference in his character, he is likely to have different story options than Dante, because he's the softer, non-veteran, man-in-love hero. Dante is the super c0cky (yes, Nero is c0cky too...but still), sarcastically overtoned, powerhouse, veteran demon hunter...who has basically kicked probably every major demons ass ever, and has nothing to do anymore.

moseslmpg

Dante does have a brother, you know...Nero is essentially Dante Lite for newcomers to the series. I feel they could have made his character more unique by making less of an imitation, and perhaps incorporating more aspects connected to the Order, or even made him a (FMA) Scar-like character, conflicted and cursed.

But again, this isn't really so much about Nero.

Edit: I think the overpowered Dante too much and they have really run his character into the ground. He's like the Steven Seagal of DMC now. I blame the lack of Vergil.

moseslmpg

Don't put too much effort in it. Do you know if it was recent? This interview is fairly recent, and as far as I know, he has never admitted making any mistakes with DMC4. He accepted an award, I remember that...

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
The whole thing with DMC4 really boils down to this. As you basically implied in the first post, Koba was trying to get girl-appeal for DMC higher...to do this, he basically turned DMC4 into the more cleanly side of the DMC universe

I really think that's what it boils down to. DMC4 is visually CLEANER looking than the others. The others are really dark, gothic and sometimes vile. DMC4 was still slightly gothic, but appearances for everything (Demons, Characters and Environments) were generally more pleasant looking.

As for the whole "I hate Nero thing"...as DT continues to point out, he's a teenager. He will whine, and he will sometimes cry at things that he feels are out of his control at the moment. I know I would bust a damn blood vessel if someone stole my girlfriend >:[...and call him an imitation if you will. I feel differently v_v

moseslmpg

VB, alright, that makes sense. Inafune, I have no problem with. Kobayashi, on the other hand, is evil.

BD: Yeah, that is the problem. DMC4 was trying to please too many different groups of fans, while basically watering down everything. So, we don't have dark gothic themes, we don't have Hell, no Vergil, etc. This is the problem, because Kobayashi is so out of touch with what fans actually want, which one can only assume he thinks is the same as what he wants. With DMC4, he made the series into a Shonen anime, essentially,and not a very good one.

And, let me state this unequivocally: I do not hate Nero. His biggest offense IMO is that he was unnecessary and basically a walking plot device. As a stand-alone character, however, he is actually alright. If he had his own series, it would be a non-issue.

Edit: With that said, I think Nero could have been done better as a DMC character for sure.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Kobatroll only wants what he wants. He could care less about the fans. So long as he has his slavering wolves (I.E. the REALLY desperate/stupid fans) he'll continue to do whatever the hell he feels like. And that ticks me off to no end.

Nero's biggest offense was BEING there? That's highly unfair.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
Vergil'sB*tch;262125 said:
I think Gloria was a bit over-the-top too... but then again, you gotta keep the male fans interested.

Personally T&A doesn't interest me at all in female game characters I play games to see cool things not sexy things. The only thing I found appealing about Gloria was the awesome moves she was pulling off the "regal look" wasn't needed..
Lara Croft may have caught the attention of male gamers with her Jessica Rabbit rack and her toilet roll size waist but her staying power was down to her attitude and character.

I liked Lady in DMC3 because of how she came across as this hardened warrior. Like an innocent child who was thrown into adult world too soon with an allmighty thud. The prospect of her getting her boobs out in the next installment never even entered my mind. I connected with her on a deeper level than that.
And in male characters I like to see the opposite, the kind of character who has to overcome an obsticle too big for them and shows cracks in the process. I have always hated Dante's c0cky side and Solid Snake's tough, emotionless veteran personality.

I guess you could say that in games I like women to act like men and men to act like women :lol:

moseslmpg

Dread: Yes, it is highly unfair. But I'm just saying Nero's offense is one of context, not essence. Nero was created without much depth in a series that didn't really need him, just as a way to ease new fans into the series. I wish it wasn't that way, but it is. And there is only one man to blame...

I had assumed you guys were calling me Kobatroll :p But I guess that is your name for him.

Darth: Yes, that is the weird part about it. If Koba was trying to appeal to women, it is strange how DMC4 has the most misogynistic depictions of women in the whole series. It is just a clusterf*** of conflicting influences and design decisions. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the reason they left the demonic DT for Dante out.

None of the things that Kobayashi added or took away would really interest people who weren't already interested in the series. Hving a love story isn't going to convince random female gamers that they should get DMC4, and having boobs isn't going to convince male gamers to buy it either. So it was just fail all around.

Kittn

Dante's Lapcat
I've already responded to this on the unity site.

But on what's wrong with Nero: Without going into his character - which is a matter of taste anyway - I think it's not so much his presence but the delivery of it that sucked so bad. We were forced to play as him from the start. Of course this is going to rub old fans the wrong way - especially those who favor Dante. If they would have swapped the order of appearance, and had Nero playable in the middle instead, I think he would have gotten a more favorable reception. (This could of been done by switching their roles a bit - after all the trap was to bait Dante, and Nero just ended up walking into snare first.) But then their marketing gimmick to paint Dante as having gone rogue would have to of been scrapped.

Not that that worked either, mind.

Anyway, per my response on the unity site:
This girl wants Dante back.

PS: I loved it when Dante lol'd at "Gloria". It was the same response I had when she fell out of the sky in front of Nero. :p

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Where is the man's brain? He lost it somewhere. Under the desk maybe, with the crumbs and fluffy sweets. There were plenty of existing female fans before he tried 'catering' for them.

For the record I want more disgusting and violent events, Hell, grosser lowlevel demons, moral ambiguity, Oedipus complexes, decent endbosses, blood, gratuitous impaling, dysfunctional families, fast play in DT, Gothic architecture, brotherly fighting, Sparda & Eva, night-time, giant moons, rain, pain and strong heroines... and definitely less soaring ass shots and cheapening of characters.

That's all I got to say about that.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
OBJECTION!

Neither Hiroyuki nor Kobaysashi are names "japanese for fail".Jeez.Don't you that his true name is Kobacross "Universal for FAIL" Kobatroll,King of ye old TROLLS.Or Koba for friends...except that he doesn't.

Yup...just like Sengoku BASARA 1,2,3 and 2H he though DMC 4 should appeal mainly to females.MEGA mistake.The fanbase,both male and female is a big one both of his series.But as the troll king,he loves doing that on us.The proof was at comic-con where he faked everything during the "interview" with the western fans of BASARA.He thought we were actually japanese.LOL.

And that's that.

Top Bottom