• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Gamescom 2012 DmC Reveals

scionicspectre

Oh, they said in the demo that it was plural, so you have 'Eryks' on your hands, but I thought Eryx would've been a cooler spelling anyway- thanks for clearing it up. Also, I guess I was just hoping so hard for the combo chain I couldn't notice it. XD I'll head to the demo thread, then.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Since the official Japanese subtitles in the trailer were a little bit differently nuanced, I translated them and thought I could share them, even if it’s not that important in the end. Here:

Kat: Devils have slipped among humans… and they’re turning people into their slaves. No one is aware of that fact. That’s why we are fighting back. I’m a member from The Order. Have you heard about it?
Dante: That “crazy mask” chattering in the internet?
Kat: He’s the boss.
Dante: Ehh… wonderful…
Vergil: It really is you, Dante?! I am Vergil. You don’t remember me…?
Dante: Are you my brother?
Vergil: A twin brother. I’ve been looking for you the whole time. If I and you were to form an alliance… scary things wouldn’t exist to us anymore.
Dante: Ah… your intention… is that I, too, would fight alongside with you?
Vergil: It’s better than fighting alone.
Kat: You accompany us to the very end, right?
Dante: Leave it to me.
Kat: Do your best. Don’t shoot!
Dante: Stop it!
Vergil: Calm down, Dante! Are you going to risk a peril because of her?
Dante: Didn’t Kat get captured because she protected us? I don’t want to abandon her.
Vergil: Fine, got it. Let’s do as you like. This is a do-or-die situation. We’re entrusting our lives in each other’s hands... mutual trust is a must.
Dante: Didn’t expect you to say that, big brother. (this was actually tricky; Dante says a phrase that’s usually said when someone close to you does something you wouldn’t expect, or then for example, if someone close to you doesn’t tell you/tells very lately good news etc. Like, treating someone who is close as a stranger. In here, Dante actually implies it that he is maybe even a tad offended that Vergil didn’t take it for granted that Dante would give his complete trust and support to a family member).

So yep. The Jap text dropped out something (which is kind of a norm with subs) and changed something. The Japanese version sounded to have more endearment in it compared to the English one, in a way.
Yeah, it's a cultural thing. I've seen enough movies from all over the world to know that things are translated differently on subtitle. Some times it's to make a sentence that'll be easier to read, sometimes to mantain timing, bit alot of the times it's to not alienate the viewer/reader. You have to change it to something more culturaly relevant or else it'll sound strange in the other language.

Kammosjuttu

Yeah, it's a cultural thing. I've seen enough movies from all over the world to know that things are translated differently on subtitle. Some times it's to make a sentence that'll be easier to read, sometimes to mantain timing, bit alot of the times it's to not alienate the viewer/reader. You have to change it to something more culturaly relevant or else it'll sound strange in the other language.

Yes, of course. I've seen it that the subtitles do that (and other translations, too), so I wasn't surprised by the differences. And since languages are my hobby, I realize it that they work quite differently from each other and usually has their unique ways of expressing things. Especially Japanese. I just thought it'd be fun to see how it went in the Japanese subtitles, that's all.

Top Bottom