• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Game Informer Trolling Our Fandom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
Seriously, have anyone read the new issue of Game Informer and it's list of Top 30 Influential Characters of the Decade? Its a travesty. But I know you guys are probably wondering, "WTF does this have to do with DMC Esura?"

Well, first, I'll copy the list.

1. GLaDoS, Portal
2. John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
3. Nathan Drake, Uncharted
4. Master Chief, Halo
5. Niko Bellic, Grand Theft Auto 4
6. Alyx Vance, Half-Life 2
7. Kratos, God of War
8. Andrew Ryan, BioShock
9. Loghain Mac Tir, Dragon Age: Origins
10. Ezio Auditore, Assassin's Creed II
11. Ethan Mars, Heavy Rain
12. Commander Shepard, Mass Effect
13. Jimmy Hopkins, Bully
14. Captain John Price, Call of Duty 4/Modern Warfare 2
15. HK-47, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
16. Elena Fisher, Uncharted
17. The Illusive Man, Mass Effect 2
18. Tommy Vercetti, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
19. The Boss, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
20. Tim, Braid
21. Auron, Final Fantasy X
22. Razputin, Psychonauts
23. Kaim Argonar, Lost Odyssey
24. Jade, Beyond Good or Evil
25. KOS-MOS, Xenosaga
26. Professor Latyon, Professor Layton Series
27. Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney Series
28. Wander, Shadow of the Colossus
29. Bonnie MacFarlane, Red Dead Redemption
30. King of All Cosmos, Katamari Series

Characters Missing The Mark wrote:

Dante, Devil May Cry
Michael Thorton, Alpha Protocol
The Rookie, Halo 3: ODST
Tingle, Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Shadow the Hedgehog

Wait...WTF?
This is what Game Informer said about him....

"Devil May Cry features some of the best controls and tightest gameplay seen in the hack-and-slash genre, while highlighting one of the lamest main charasters around. Dante is never without a wisecrack, even though most of the time he comes across as a two-bit Peter Parker. Fortunateely, he has the weapon skills to back up his shtick - otherwise he would be irredemable."

WTF!?
Discuss...

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Actually, I find them right. Dante's jokes suck, and I absolutely hated his personality after DMC1. Just my opinion.

Esura

Storm Silves;290141 said:
Actually, I find them right. Dante's jokes suck, and I absolutely hated his personality after DMC1. Just my opinion.

He still should of been on the list over King of All Cosmos and Bonnie....seriously.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
That's true. Perhaps I shouldn't have said I agree with them. But you have to admit, character-wise, Dante is pretty much 1-dimensional.

Esura

Storm Silves;290143 said:
That's true. Perhaps I shouldn't have said I agree with them. But you have to admit, character-wise, Dante is pretty much 1-dimensional.

Kratos is up there...and he's pretty one dimensional too.

You can sum up Kratos in a few words...angry motherfuc...:lol:

moseslmpg

The only time Dante has been 1 dimensional is in DMC4. In DMC1 he was fine, in DMC3 he was appropriate for his age and his character actually developed, and in DMC2 he at least wasn't lame and corny even if they didnt explain why he was acting that way.

It seems like the memory span of the industry is getting shorter and shorter every year. I heard Bayonetta made the cut in some way though, which is ridiculous, since she is so 1 dimensional she almost doesn't exist in Euclidean space.

Esura

moseslmpg;290151 said:
The only time Dante has been 1 dimensional is in DMC4. In DMC1 he was fine, in DMC3 he was appropriate for his age and his character actually developed, and in DMC2 he at least wasn't lame and corny even if they didnt explain why he was acting that way.

It seems like the memory span of the industry is getting shorter and shorter every year. I heard Bayonetta made the cut in some way though, which is ridiculous, since she is so 1 dimensional she almost doesn't exist in Euclidean space.

If you noticed, alot of the games on the list are more recent than not. They are also more Western focused too. I swear I thought I would of saw some other JRPG characters alongside KOS-MOS and Auron (screw Kaim).

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
Yeah I haven't liked Dante since 1 he knew when to pick and choose his moments and was never the same again.
Esura;290140 said:
"even though most of the time he comes across as a two-bit Peter Parker."
What's that supposed to mean?

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Darth Angelo;290211 said:
Yeah I haven't liked Dante since 1 he knew when to pick and choose his moments and was never the same again.

What's that supposed to mean?

He cracks jokes like Peter Parker except even worse. Basically, he's like a really bad version of a comic book hero.

Darth Angelo

Storm Silves;290216 said:
He cracks jokes like Peter Parker except even worse. Basically, he's like a really bad version of a comic book hero.

Aha sounds like the usual 'played 3 and 4 and now thinks he knows everything about Dante/DMC' attitude.

Meg

I subscribe to Game Informer. The list is far from perfect, but I do think they got some stuff right. Nathan Drake, Elena Fisher both from Uncharted as well as Andrew Ryan. Some characters I didn't play the game, but from what I know about it I agreed with them, like including Mr. Drak- I mean Mr. Marston. :lol:

I was surprised by how few eastern characters were on the list to. Personally I would include Ratchet or Captain Quark from Ratchet and Clank as well as Sly Cooper.

And I wub Dante. :(

wallE156

The Devil's Advocate
I personally didn't mind Dante's attitude in 1 and 3. It kinda bothered me how he had very, very few if ANY serious moments in 4. And he had like a whole three lines of dialog in 2. (I'm exaggerating of course) While some of his wisecracks might be kind of dumb I wouldn't put him anywhere near Peter Parker's level. Has anyone here played Shattered Dimensions?? If so then I think you know what I mean...

Esura

Meg;290258 said:
I subscribe to Game Informer. The list is far from perfect, but I do think they got some stuff right. Nathan Drake, Elena Fisher both from Uncharted as well as Andrew Ryan. Some characters I didn't play the game, but from what I know about it I agreed with them, like including Mr. Drak- I mean Mr. Marston. :lol:

I was surprised by how few eastern characters were on the list to. Personally I would include Ratchet or Captain Quark from Ratchet and Clank as well as Sly Cooper.

And I wub Dante. :(

FYI, Ratchet and Clank is a western made game.

But Nathan Drake and Elena Fisher did not define a decade...at...all. Well made characters? Yeah. Characters that defined a decade...hell no. Kratos, Master Chief (even though I did not like him), Dante, Phoenix Wright....those are iconic characters that defined a decade. Uncharted was made damn near the end of the decade...so how the hell they define a decade? Game Informer just chose the recent popular stuff and ran with it. They are so made of fail right now and didnt mention games that ACTUALLY impacted anything. Where the **** is Leon Kennedy? RE4 was game of the year, mostly because of the different feel of the control and stuff, but Leon was also well developed in that game and it made him even more popular than RE2 ever did.

Meg

Esura;290295 said:
FYI, Ratchet and Clank is a western made game.

But Nathan Drake and Elena Fisher did not define a decade...at...all. Well made characters? Yeah. Characters that defined a decade...hell no. Kratos, Master Chief (even though I did not like him), Dante, Phoenix Wright....those are iconic characters that defined a decade. Uncharted was made damn near the end of the decade...so how the hell they define a decade? Game Informer just chose the recent popular stuff and ran with it. They are so made of fail right now and didnt mention games that ACTUALLY impacted anything. Where the **** is Leon Kennedy? RE4 was game of the year, mostly because of the different feel of the control and stuff, but Leon was also well developed in that game and it made him even more popular than RE2 ever did.

Whoops! I didn't mean Ratchet and Clank was an eastern game, I was just saying that I think he should have been included. I guess I wasn't to clear on that.

With Nathan Drake and all, I think the Uncharted games, especially the second one brilliantly summarized where games have come from over the course of the years, so I think they are worth mentioning because of that.

I agree about Leon Kennedy. I didn't like Resi 4, but there is no denying how important it was to other games. I also agree that they just chose some recent popular characters and threw a list together. I don't think there were to many characters from the early 2000s. Lame.

Darth Angelo

Esura;290295 said:
Where the **** is Leon Kennedy? RE4 was game of the year, mostly because of the different feel of the control and stuff, but Leon was also well developed in that game and it made him even more popular than RE2 ever did.

Similar to the Dante thing in that repect Leon in 2 and Leon in 4 were more or less complete opposites so to anyone who played RE from the start and created this impression of Leon as a rookie cop who is a bit unsure of himself bringing him back as an invincible secret agent is a bit hollow regardless of how cool he is. It's harder to see it as anything but a "hey look we made him supercool in this one so you better like him now"

Esura

Darth Angelo;290355 said:
Similar to the Dante thing in that repect Leon in 2 and Leon in 4 were more or less complete opposites so to anyone who played RE from the start and created this impression of Leon as a rookie cop who is a bit unsure of himself bringing him back as an invincible secret agent is a bit hollow regardless of how cool he is. It's harder to see it as anything but a "hey look we made him supercool in this one so you better like him now"

I understand that....but...

They got King of All Cosmos and Bonnie from Red Dead Redemption on the list. No amount of explaination is enough to deem them worthy of being on the list. Even with what you said about Leon...he STILL deserve to be on the list over them two. Dante and Leon or a crapload of other early 2000 characters deserve to be on the list before them. Ratchet and Clank deserve to be on there before them two.

And Tommy Vercetti? Seriously? Over CJ from San Andreas? What...the hell? And Logain....over Morrigan and Alistair or even Leilana? And Tim from that overhyped to all hell game, Braid? Wow...Tingle is more important than him...thats how insignificant he is to me.

11 years worth of games and these ****ty ass characters are on the list...most of them being recent as hell. Game Informer is as bad as IGN now.

Let me stop ranting...I'm not going to post no more...cause I dont think I could add any more insight other than Game Informer is retarded and went for more hits instead of making a list that actually makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom