• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fallout 4

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
men_fake_orgasms3.jpg

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I like colourful setting. Looks much diverse than Fallout 3

I'm torn on that. I mean, one of the reasons why I loved Fallout 3 so freaking much was because of its moderately gritty color palette, which gave me the feeling of being in a post apocaliptic environment. This, on the other hand, while being more colorful, kind of a la New Vegas, does look nice in atmospehere too...

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I'm torn on that. I mean, one of the reasons why I loved Fallout 3 so freaking much was because of its moderately gritty color palette, which gave me the feeling of being in a post apocaliptic environment. This, on the other hand, while being more colorful, kind of a la New Vegas, does look nice in atmospehere too...
Apparently we will get both this time:
1281126214362894632.png

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
I wanted know if they are still are using their old Bethesda engine? We are on next generation right now and one thing that i learned from modding is that Skyrim's engine is very, very flawed in a lot of ways. It's simply just cannot support many NPCs one at a time and even if it does, the whole game will crash. Granted this was kinda resolved by the modding community by memory patches but it took a looong time before that to happen. Noticed how Vanilla Skyrim's town and even large cities' have so few NPCs? NPCs is not even only it's problem, that old and flawed engine is also the reason why Skyrim's launch was so buggy that there are so many game-breaking glitches, bugs and crashes. That, and some of their programmers are just being lazy.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I wanted know if they are still are using their old Bethesda engine? We are on next generation right now and one thing that i learned from modding is that Skyrim's engine is very, very flawed in a lot of ways. It's simply just cannot support many NPCs one at a time and even if it does, the whole game will crash. Granted this was kinda resolved by the modding community by memory patches but it took a looong time before that to happen. Noticed how Vanilla Skyrim's town and even large cities' have so few NPCs? NPCs is not even only it's problem, that old and flawed engine is also the reason why Skyrim's launch was so buggy that there are so many game-breaking glitches, bugs and crashes. That, and some of their programmers are just being lazy.

If I remember correctly Skyrims engine (Creation Engine) was updated from Oblivion to Skyrim and Fallout 3 so I would imagine it will be updated and optimised again for Fallout 4.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
I'm not a big fan of this... animated (for lack of a better word) style they're going with. It sort of reminds me of Borderlands, as well as other 'happy' games. It just feels a bit too upbeat and clean for a Fallout game. I like the Fallout games exactly because they're so dark and gritty, and sometimes bombastic. I think a realistic graphical style would suit Fallout's gritty and gloomy (and sometimes horror-ish) atmosphere very nicely. But these graphics... I dunno, I think it would take a lot of the edge off of creepy encounters with bloodthirsty raiders and mutated creatures. I had hoped that Fallout would become more realistic with each new installment, not become some kind of almost cel-shaded cartoon.
This reminds me of Warcraft 3 and Diablo 3 all over again... Diablo III lost a lot of its graphical 'edge', its horror oomph, because it was turned into a cartoony style. It felt less serious, less menacing (and almost every level in Diablo 3 is a color soup). Almost the same as with WC3. And now this?

But, if they greatly improve on the gameplay and take some of the lessons New Vegas taught to heart, then the graphics might not be a dealbreaker.

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@Daimon Leon you forget that a considerable aspect of Fallout is the humor. It's not THAT gritty.

My first impression was like yours too, but then I thought... if this is set after F3 and NV, Earth should be healthier than it was in those titles so the choice of a more colorful palette (although it's not THAT colorful, come on) would be more understandable.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@Foxtrot94
Would it really be healthier ?
How long would nuclear fallout of that magnitude last if nuclear bombs were dropped everywhere & everything was killed by toxic radiation.

Fallout from the tests spread across much of the country, but based on mathematical models and earlier studies, exposure rates were highest in 12 states east and north of the Nevada desert, where the bomb tests were conducted.

If the entire country or the world is nuked then world 200yrs be enough for things to start gaining color?

Plants near Pripyat are able to grow today. And Chernobyl disaster happen way less than 200 years ago. Heck, some people even grow their own food there.

Besides it's not like Fallout is a super realistic game. Devs can take their liberties with it.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
1. There's still traces of radiation.

2. Yea i know but that just means they can exaggerate either way, most likely in the worst way possible for FallOut lol.

Also back to 1. You forget things like Radioactive Ghouls, places like Camp Searchlight surrounded by toxic radiation, places in the underground filled with radiation.

Unexploded but still live nuclear bombs.

There's still living & non-living things producing levels of radiation & toxins.

Radiations are still there in Pripyat, what did you think? But that doesn't stop plants to grow.

And it's not like they showed you oasis or lush environments, world is still pretty dry, just seems a little bit healthier than previous titles, which makes sense.

Neigh Bird

SSStrange!!!
Everything looks amazing. The only thing I'm not a fan of is how we might have a fixed protagonist character and may not be able to create our own. Hopefully they will pull a Shepard if suspicions are right.

Dark Drakan

Admin
With Broken Steel DLC it let you continue after the ending of Fallout 3 & have different final outcome...

In this add-on pack, the Lone Wanderer joins the ranks of the Brotherhood of Steel to rid the Capital Wasteland of the Enclave remnants once and for all. The pack allows them to get to see the fruits of their father James' work, Project Purity's completion, and clean water flowing into the tidal basin for the first time in centuries.

In Broken Steel the purifier is activated, and the Brotherhood of Steel (along with the security team from Rivet City) begins distributing Aqua Pura (purified water) to the various regions of the Capital Wasteland. In addition, the small body of water directly in front of the Jefferson Memorial (the area before the bridge) known as the Tidal Basin is free of radiation.

Any water beyond the bridge is still irradiated as Project Purity will take some time to purify all the water in the Potomac River. If the Modified FEV was inserted into the purifier, then the Aqua Pura will be infected with it.

Project Purity

So depends what ending they work from...

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
@Daimon Leon you forget that a considerable aspect of Fallout is the humor. It's not THAT gritty.

My first impression was like yours too, but then I thought... if this is set after F3 and NV, Earth should be healthier than it was in those titles so the choice of a more colorful palette (although it's not THAT colorful, come on) would be more understandable.
I didn't only say that Fallout was gritty, I also said that Fallout is often generally gloomy or at least foreboding, and often tense. I don't think a cartoony style would work well with things like creepy Deathclaws and other enemies that are supposed to make you at least a bit frightened. For example, in the trailer I saw a bunch of raiders attacking you in some kind of dark supermarket, (which reminds me of a place in Fallout 3 btw). But from what I can tell, almost all the tension has been sucked out of it. I really don't think an upbeat cartoony style would work well with tense and violent situations, or scary or frightening situations.

Fallout can be humorous just as well as it can be dark. It doesn't need to have this animation style of graphics in order to be humorous: it can have realistic graphics and still be very humorous, so I don't see your point. You said it yourself, if Fallout has been humorous all this time, then clearly it doesn't need to have animated graphics.

Also, yeah, it looks pretty colorful to me, no offense. It reminded me a lot of Borderlands when I first saw it. That's just not what I want from a Fallout game.

Top Bottom