• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

F-bombs; What's the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railazel

Because clean comedy is in a way smart cause it shows you don't have to swear to be funny. Granted I do like Lee Evens (He swears a lot) but I also like Ken Dodd (Never swears)

It is like most songs now have swearing in never had that many in the 70', 80's compared to now which is a lot.

Most people would say that cussing just makes things funnier, like how cussing is supposed to make Dante more realistic. So it's really a question of whether cussing improves anything? Maybe. I guess it goes back to preferrences.

we have characters in games who commit genocide (ok thats ME making them do it but they give me the option so why not), are alcoholic, drug dealers, drug addicts, kill hookers and god knows what else. i honestly DO NOT mind him swearing AT ALL nor do i think anyone should

That's because Grand Theft Auto was ridiculous to the point of being comedic and mind- blowing.

Anyways, you have to remember that people dodge games like that for a reason. Some have moral obligations, some have familial. A good game should cater to these obligations and provide an enjoyable experience without a person having to worry about whether their kids are around or having to twist their morals.

Zargus

Do you know how to install true FEAR?!
Premium
Most people would say that cussing just makes things funnier, like how cussing is supposed to make Dante more realistic. So it's really a question of whether cussing improves anything? Maybe. I guess it goes back to preferrences.

If used correctly swearing can be funny and it can work but if used incorrectly then it can put people off.

Railazel

If used correctly swearing can be funny and it can work but if used incorrectly then it can put people off.

So, its "make it or break it" deal, huh? Let's just hope for Dante's sake that NT does just use it when its possible. I've had encounters where characters would say something just because they could. Those encounters irked me.

Zargus

Premium
So, its "make it or break it" deal, huh? Let's just hope for Dante's sake that NT does just use it when its possible. I've had encounters where characters would say something just because they could. Those encounters irked me.

Them encounters are probably where it was used wrong. If used right and not all the time it can work.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

Why wouldn't he curse whenever he wants? He was raised on danger and demons wanting to kill him.

Zargus

Premium
Why wouldn't he curse whenever he wants? He was raised on danger and demons wanting to kill him.

Because it becomes boring if you swear all the time and it becomes boring if it is used all the time in a game that some people do not care for the story then.

Which is why I said if it is used correctly it can work, if used wrong it will put people off.

For instance the intro to Lesbian Vampire Killers, you would not expect the Narrator to say about the hero killing the head Lesbian Vampire, "And then he lopped her ****ing head off." That worked because it was unexpected but funny.

The Wire to me in the first episode had too much swearing in it that I stopped watching the first episode of series one after 15 minutes.

DragonMaster2010

Because it becomes boring if you swear all the time and it becomes boring if it is used all the time in a game that some people do not care for the story then.

Which is why I said if it is used correctly it can work, if used wrong it will put people off.

Hold on, let me think this in another standing; You mean like how God of War always has a sex scene in their games?

Zargus

Premium
Hold on, let me think this in another standing; You mean like how God of War always has a sex scene in their games?

Actually they don't show any sex of any kind but you only hear the noises and see a vase or another scene. No sex at all. You are thinking of the mini game lol

DragonMaster2010

Actually they don't show any sex of any kind but you only hear the noises and see a vase or another scene. No sex at all. You are thinking of the mini game lol

Oh okay. So let me use another example; Is it like how some movies are trying to be serious and to the point, but they keep using the word "d*ck" all the time thinking it's funny, when it's really annoying sometimes? If so, 21 jump street is that for me.

Zargus

Premium
Oh okay. So let me use another example; Is it like how some movies are trying to be serious and to the point, but they keep using the word "d*ck" all the time thinking it's funny, when it's really annoying sometimes? If so, 21 jump street is that for me.

Yer that is a good example.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Geez whats the big deal so we seen Dante used the f-word like 3 times? Its not like they'll have him only just spouting off f-bombs constantly. Apparently his f-bombs only happen in story cutscenes & used like how it is portrayed in most mature real life American(well most other countries) media. I've seen the DMC anime & in that he(old Dante) cursed pretty often & his cursing went up in DMC4(not f-bomb level that was Nero).
Its a rated M game that is like a rated R game in video game terms. Cursing is to be expected. Yeah too much cursing can be a problem but NT seems to be a serious & responsible story telling company based on Heavenly Sword & Enslaved so I don't expect them to be all irresponsible with it. As far as I seen all vulgarity & slurs in this game have been used in realistic & mature context(except for when he punched the voucher that was supposed to be funny & rebellious).
When someone is mad its common they'll curse as shown when Dante told Lillith "to get the f*ck down here". He was ****ed because his friend was kidnapped & is currently being tortured by the demons. He said "f*ck you" back to Poison because she said it first but mostly to be a prick. He wrote down "f*ck you" because well they had captured his friend & holding her hostage plus it was funny.
No one said anything when Nero gave Dante the finger(which is like an implied f-you).

Agility

"Known"
I'm sorry did we not all deal with Prototype 2's dialogue?

I'm sorry did we all not hear the cursing in Last of Us?

Anyways, all I'm saying is, people NEED something to find in order to have SOMETHING BAD TO SAY about DmC.

It's why people get mad when Dante says "F You" because it sounds real and emotional like he's saying it to THEM. They are BOB's followers. Do not pay attention to them.

Like the bouncer, did you see how he looked at Dante and not look at the list at all nor did he ask him his name? Yeah, I believe Ninja Theory threw that in there for people who don't want to see DmC succeed. The transaction between the two is much like DmC's reputation at the time. People were complaining about it and that they didn't want it. Ninja Theory and Capcom were saying "We're going with it ANYWAY!"

Then Dante the demon killer wrote that little message that said "F you" on the invitation list. They complained about him not writing his real name after KOing a bouncer with an lazy uppercut.

In a way, they are trolling the trolls.

DragonMaster2010

Anyways, all I'm saying is, people NEED something to find in order to have SOMETHING BAD TO SAY about DmC.

It's why people get mad when Dante says "F You" because it sounds real and emotional like he's saying it to THEM. They are BOB's followers. Do not pay attention to them.

Like the bouncer, did you see how he looked at Dante and not look at the list at all nor did he ask him his name? Yeah, I believe Ninja Theory threw that in there for people who don't want to see DmC succeed. The transaction between the two is much like DmC's reputation at the time. People were complaining about it and that they didn't want it. Ninja Theory and Capcom were saying "We're going with it ANYWAY!"

Then Dante the demon killer wrote that little message that said "F you" on the invitation list. They complained about him not writing his real name after KOing a bouncer with an lazy uppercut.

I don't know about all that, but I do like trolling trolls.

I think your thinking a bit too much into this.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium

you know what? i love you haha (i've been saying that to alot of people today)
you've literally wrote everything i've been thinking about! your message = win!

Zargus

Premium

I don't think I am one of the trolls trolling the trolls (if that makes sense) to be honest. I have said all along if it is done correctly then the swearing can work and be funny. If done wrong it would not work and be boring.

Granted I have not seen the scene you mentioned about Dante writing '**** you' on the invitation list and then knocking out the bouncer in one lazy hit but that does sound funny. To be honest though it reminds me of Blade Trinity when Blade is saved by Hannibal King in the police station when he has a Name Tag Sticker on his chest saying 'Hello, my name is **** You.' and the other scene is when Abigail Whistler has '**** you' on a doll of a baby before the doll sprayed garlic in the vampire's face.

If the swearing is used mainly like that then it will be funny.

Geez whats the big deal so we seen Dante used the f-word like 3 times? Its not like they'll have him only just spouting off f-bombs constantly. Apparently his f-bombs only happen in story cutscenes & used like how it is portrayed in most mature real life American(well most other countries) media. I've seen the DMC anime & in that he(old Dante) cursed pretty often & his cursing went up in DMC4(not f-bomb level that was Nero).
Its a rated M game that is like a rated R game in video game terms. Cursing is to be expected. Yeah too much cursing can be a problem but NT seems to be a serious & responsible story telling company based on Heavenly Sword & Enslaved so I don't expect them to be all irresponsible with it. As far as I seen all vulgarity & slurs in this game have been used in realistic & mature context(except for when he punched the voucher that was supposed to be funny & rebellious).
When someone is mad its common they'll curse as shown when Dante told Lillith "to get the f*ck down here". He was ****ed because his friend was kidnapped & is currently being tortured by the demons. He said "f*ck you" back to Poison because she said it first but mostly to be a prick. He wrote down "f*ck you" because well they had captured his friend & holding her hostage plus it was funny.
No one said anything when Nero gave Dante the finger(which is like an implied f-you).

I don't know about America but in the UK I am sure that the people who do not swear or don't swear too often outweigh the people/kids who do swear all the time.

And yes swearing too much will be a problem as it will ether put people off the game or they would not care for the story as the swearing is in cut-scenes and then they would just probably skip them missing out on the story.

I know NT is a great storytelling company (I have played Enslaved myself and it is a good game) but even a company can have it's off days which in a way worries me.

Vezild

Taking Back Lordran One Boss At a Time
Wasn't swearing a no-no in video games until maybe five years ago? Besides, have you heard of Rogue Warrior or Bulletstorm? Jeez, Dante's a saint in swearing compared to the heroes of those games. I think swearing is appropriate because people swear when they're mad. It's normal. Now, if Dante suddenly becomes ghetto and cusses after every word, I'll just put the game on mute with subtitles.

Domenic93

Wasn't swearing a no-no in video games until maybe five years ago? Besides, have you heard of Rogue Warrior or Bulletstorm? Jeez, Dante's a saint in swearing compared to the heroes of those games. I think swearing is appropriate because people swear when they're mad. It's normal. Now, if Dante suddenly becomes ghetto and cusses after every word, I'll just put the game on mute with subtitles.
no they could swear in games posibly farther back then Duke Nukem, and bulletstorm is supposed to be straight up action comedy, it was never supposed to be taken seriously, Like I said before DmC wants to be an action drama. there are different set of unspoken rules for this genre. It's like they're trying to put Bert Gummer from tremors into a melodrama while he acts like he would in any tremors movie, it just doesn't work

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
It kind of annoys me when people assume that there will be no character development just because there's swearing.

More often than not, people will cite something like Dante and Poison's "F*** YOU!" exchange right before the fight and say something like, "IS THIS NINJA THEORY'S NARRATION SKILL AT WORK??" or "GOOD JOB NT YOU WROTE SOUTH PARK"
no, stop that.
We can't judge character growth by one conversation in one cutscene.

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer
People are mad at Dante's cussing because they are tired of complaining about hair. I mean let's just think about it, if you hate someone so much with your life then I don't think you will offer them chocolates and talk sweetly!

Just watch this video and..

GTA IV was the Game of the Year ....Do I need to say more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom