• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Eva was a Witch?

Human or Witch?

• A Witch i Tell You! Let's Burn the Witch!

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Human

Votes: 14 70.0%

• Total voters

berto

I Saw the Devil
If Eva was a witch, that would mean she had sold his soul to a devil, for whatever reason, she would be exactly like people Dante despise: those who sell their soul for power or other egostical reason.
According to Bayonetta the demon she made a contract with was Sparda. You could surmise that she didn't do it for selfish reasons but rather for love.

How would Dante deal with it? As the story of his parents.

And if that Bayonetta reference somehow became true then the history of Eva and Sparda we know already will suddenly not be true. It doesn't work.
How does it not work? For all we know the romance of Sparda and Eva involved a contract as opposed to a marriage, the rules that one places on humanity do not rule them, they don't go to school, get jobs, get married, and reproduce; what you and I consider the norm doesn't restrict them.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
In the DMC1 it was explained Sparda married a human; she was always refered always as his wife. While a marriage is a contract, a contract isn't always a marriage. If it was a diabolic contract, an unholy one, It is not a marriage and she could not be called her wife.
The same way we could assume Sparda only impregnated a human only because he wanted children.
It was explained too that first Sparda fight Mundus and close the the hell gate, and only much later married a woman, not that woman helped him to fight the demon forces or whatever.
So Chancey is right, some of the core story change considerabily.

berto

I Saw the Devil
How? Nowhere does it say that she helped him fight Mundus or that she was there at all. The marriage of Sparda and Eva have no coloration to the battle of Sparda against Mundus. Along with that it also doesn't mean that because Eva and Sparda shared a contract that that nullifies the prospect of marriage.

Just because, hypothetically speaking, she is a witch doesn't mean she was born centuries ago, nor that the contract that her and Sparda shared was unholy, remember that Sparda turned his back on the hordes of hell, therefor, any contract he'd enter would not be classified as unholy; it might not fall under holy, ether, but it certainly wouldn't be sanctioned by the devil.

IncarnatedDemon

but we barely kno anything about eva, so how can we conclude that? based on her painting she seems to be a priestess or something with ties to demons.

Gel

Premium
So , are you saying she first offered her soul and later she married him?I was only saying I don't consider a contract with a devil a marriage per se.
I'm still having some conflicts on Eva selling, offer or whatever her soul.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Sparda turned his back on his demon brethren on his own accord. There was no woman that convinced him. Sparda "waking up to justice" is an important element to the story. The title Devil May Cry is all based on the alleged belief that demons can't cry or feel emotions. Trish and Sparda are the prime examples of why that isn't true. Devil MAY Cry.

IncarnatedDemon

Earlier i didn't have opportunity to give a post with depth.

Eva being a witch isnt proven or have anything valid backing it up, but there is nothing saying "She was not a witch". And considering we barely know of Eva dismissing the possibility of this is absurd.
For one...aliens dont exist in DMC universe.
Second, witches would fit into DMC universe.

And a witch is a class of a human not a race. Eva may been a human but the class of human she was have not been said.

Also a witch in DMC and a witch in Bayo have different applications. In Bayo a witch may had to sell their soul to demons, meanwhile a witch in DMC might be different.

I dont have any evidence saying she was a witch. I just think it's odd for whoever responsible for Bayo easter egg (Eva being a witch) to not have thought of Eva if she is mentioned i.e Eva's backstory.

Besides, how did Sparda and Eva meet? What, did Sparda just teleport into human world and fall in love with first woman in sight?

As i said i dont have evidence for Eva being a witch, but if you ask me looking at Eva's painting (her clothes) and knowing there must been a connection that made Eva and Sparda meet:
Id say Eva may been a priestess or a human who knew of demon activity.

Yes, i know it's invalid for me to say "There hasnt been mentioned Eva was not a witch", but really...what do we know about Eva? Absoutely nothing.
And because of this i think the argument of "Its not mentioned Eva wasnt an alien but that doesnt mean she was one" isnt that valid to use against my argument.
Especially considering Bayo easter egg.
In DMC there exists no aliens and the focus of DMC is about humans and demons for most part with other supernatural beings. I know this because its common sense what kind of creatures was meant to be in DMC.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
How is it absurd?

We're choosing to believe the Devil May Cry history and not a game that has nothing to do with the DMC franchise.

True not much is known about Eva in specifics but, that reference is a no no. Sparda fought and defeated Mundus's legion long before he even met Eva. Looks like it took him about 1000 years to get a date. If it were true then it throws the Devil May Cry history off even more. Eva is not a supernatural being.

If this contract reference were true then that means Eva would have to be hundreds of years old. It's implying Sparda's battle took place along with a woman and also that he didn't "wake up to justice" but, was summoned by another person who entered some kind of contract to get him to fight for them. This would be long before they allegedly met though. That means Eva couldn't be a normal human. So this humanity thing the DMC franchise can't help but try to hammer in the plots every chance it gets also I guess was totally pointless.

Do you see now why it doesn't work? Not only does it not make sense timeline wise but it changes what we already know about these characters and their role in the history of this series.

IncarnatedDemon

THAT REFERENCE comes from Team Little Angels
a team consisting prolly mostly of Team Little Devils, the same team who made DMC 1.

I for sure as hell would take it into consideration.

Creators never forget their work. That is why Kamiya was sad that he couldnt direct DMC 2.

And we dont know anything about Eva's history:
Eva was the human wife of Sparda and mother of the twins Vergil and Dante. Little is known about Eva. She appears only as a photo on Dante's desk and as a voice in a flashback in the first Devil May Cry game.

Anyway, witch or not...i dont think Eva was a ordinary human.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
THAT REFERENCE comes from Team Little Angels
a team consisting prolly mostly of Team Little Devils, the same team who made DMC 1.

I for sure as hell would take it into consideration.

Creators never forget their work. That is why Kamiya was sad that he couldnt direct DMC 2.

And we dont know anything about Eva's history:

Anyway, witch or not...i dont think Eva was a ordinary human.
Why are you not trying to connect the dots with the other references to Okami and Viewtiful Joe?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
picard-facepalm.jpg

Gel

Premium
First , if everything Kamiya says is true, so Bayonetta ( only a witch) can easily beat Dante and wip the floor with him.

Second, the classic image we have from Eva is that she was fully and simply woman, with a strong soul, but a weak body and that's the beauty of the story: a powerful Demon falls in love with a normal woman and marries her. She was so normal she dies trying tro hide his little boys, not in a badass fighting.
Sparda turned his back to his race and came to human world to live like a human, because he wanted too, not because of a love interest.
Now, Eva being a witch in Kamiya's terms:
Eva, a truly extraordinary witch entered a contract with a legendary dark knight and then faced( herself) the amassed armies of Inferno" Now our Eva is not only a "guile heroine" but " army of only one woman".This insinuation is absurd.
Why I have problems with Eva "selling" her soul: Sparda becomes a human, so it would be logical if he married her was on human ways, not taking her soul( whatever it could means) to him, like the other demons usually do.Now if Eva was a witch similar to Kat( who never lose her soul and have human weaknesses I could swallow), but what Kamiya is implying is absurd.
From her part, giving her soul, even if for love, is not different from giving her soul for whatever mundane reason, like any other human would do.It was no better than Vergil wanting power and do whatever it takes to get it.

Kamiya does this act of despise towards the fact of Capcom continued DMC without him. He, with his intromissions, is corrupting whatever DMC canon says, because he is full of himself, making almost impossible to Capcom continue DMC original canon, since he knows whatever he says , people are willing to follow.He even says Lady and Nero doesn't exist when asked by fans.

Sorry for the long post...

Gel

Premium
In that I agree you : she's more than a common woman.She was impressive enough to become Sparda's wife.

IncarnatedDemon

He should have been sadder that he went over-budget in DMC1. That's a cardinal sin in the game-development community. People still talk about Denis Dyack's faux pas in "Too Human".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Too_Human

"The budget for the game has been estimated to be between US$ 60-100 million."
Creating a new ip requires alot of money. Besides DMC 1 was a success wasn't it?

A video game in Game history that defined Hack and Slash.

And the many games that were inspired by it emulated this same game.

Top Bottom