• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Elemental DTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

moseslmpg

Lexy;265287 said:
In the archaic European sense a 'knight' was a warrior (or member of feudal warrior nobility) following a code of honour/sworn loyalty to a lord or king, so I always assumed Sparda was known as the LDK for being the loyal warrior elite of Mundus, and later for being a legendary protector of humans (just transferring his status from one sworn loyalty to another I guess). The word knight has literal and metaphorical connotations, like "white knight" and such.

Yeah, that's why I don't think it should be connected to literal armor.

In his demon form he definitely does appear to have elements of a typical knight's armour plating built into his design, although obviously it looks more demonic and slightly less basically functional than human armour. His head appears to have a feature above the eyes suggesting the upper half of an armet to which his horns are attached or grow out from, and if you check out the DMC1 intro there is a large symmetrical (shiny) spike jutting directly out of his chest (modified breastplate?), and he appears to wear ornate poleyns on the knees and some kinds of pauldrons on the shoulder(s).
I agree about that, but my personal interpretation of demons and their interaction with humans is informed by a certain euhumerism inspired by the tales of Watchers in the books of Enoch. That is, many of the similarities demons have to human war paraphernalia, armor, weapons, tactics, are actually things that humans have learned or reverse-engineered. I even fancied that maybe Sparda brought the katana style of sword to Japan, and that demonic energy technology formed the basis for the discovery of electricity and so forth. It does make some sense.

About the DTs, I agree with KOH. I think all that is needed is the mixing of Sparda blood with either weapon for awakening to occur. The twins were not destined or forced to choose their respective weapons, and the Yamato could have awakened Dante if he had chosen it, etc.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
^Not possible,the Force Edge is the incomplete Sparda sword and has no personal/unidentyfied Demonic power whatsoever.It is Sparda's own trademark.They would possibly die.Their DT's would be the same colour and very little would change.Even if the weapons are different their DT are almost identical...they only have the weapons key differences.And once they get to identify themselves with the said weapon...they grow with it and so does their DT.

King of Hell

Must Die
it was more of "asleep", not incomplete, the amulet awakened it, it didn't give it power.
anyway, why would they die? they've been stabbed by everything you can think of, Dante's been stabbed by the Force Edge in the original.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
The Force edge is the incomplete Sparda,the two amulets are part of it.

Dante had already awakened awakened as a Devil in the original.Vergil was nearly dead and he would be if the enemy didn't stab him with the Yamato.If Vergil didn't run him through withe Rebellion at the top of the tower but with the Yamato instead,Dante would probably have died.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Devil Bane;265546 said:
The Force edge is the incomplete Sparda,the two amulets are part of it.

Dante had already awakened awakened as a Devil in the original.Vergil was nearly dead and he would be if the enemy didn't stab him with the Yamato.If Vergil didn't run him through withe Rebellion at the top of the tower but with the Yamato instead,Dante would probably have died.

no, it's been established that Dante has always been nearly impossible to kill. it's got nothing to do with Devil Trigger. Impalement is simply not enough to kill a Half-Demon. Vergil could have stabbed Dante with any sword he wanted and Dante would have still gotten up. whether it would have awakened Dante's DT or not is unknown.

there is no proof that being stabbed with Rebellion was the condition to awaken Dante's DT. remember back in DMC1 when Dante suddenly became able to DT with Sparda. it was right after it looked like Mundus' killed Trish. Dante's awakening his original DT happened right after he was just beaten and humiliated by Vergil. what do those two events have in common. both were moments of great emotional stress. i have always been under the impression that the emotional stress of those moments was the cause of Dante being able to access that power. it makes more sense than saying one time Dante gained power from getting stabbed and another time he gains power because of his anger at Mundus'.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Since when did this go from a discussion about new DT forms to a discussion on how Dante got his DT?

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
DreadnoughtDT;265573 said:
Since when did this go from a discussion about new DT forms to a discussion on how Dante got his DT?

not sure. both are about Devil Trigger so i guess the transition makes sense. if anyone else wants to continue the discussion on the origin of Dante's DT i will be happy to make another thread. its probably best to try to get back on topic with this one.

i get the feeling that what i was picturing when i came up with my DT ideas is not what everyone else is picturing reading the description.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
darkslayer13;265572 said:
no, it's been established that Dante has always been nearly impossible to kill. it's got nothing to do with Devil Trigger. Impalement is simply not enough to kill a Half-Demon. Vergil could have stabbed Dante with any sword he wanted and Dante would have still gotten up. whether it would have awakened Dante's DT or not is unknown.

there is no proof that being stabbed with Rebellion was the condition to awaken Dante's DT. remember back in DMC1 when Dante suddenly became able to DT with Sparda. it was right after it looked like Mundus' killed Trish. Dante's awakening his original DT happened right after he was just beaten and humiliated by Vergil. what do those two events have in common. both were moments of great emotional stress. i have always been under the impression that the emotional stress of those moments was the cause of Dante being able to access that power. it makes more sense than saying one time Dante gained power from getting stabbed and another time he gains power because of his anger at Mundus'.

Even when they were ten year old boys with hardly any demonic power developed?Vergil was struggling against below than avarage demons in the manga before awakening.Dante is not wntirelly impossible to kill.He is mortal,like Sparda and everyone else,just insanelly hard to kill.But he got pretty owned by Vergil at the top,while Vergil didn't even break a sweat while toying with him.And yeah impalement is not the way to kill them,we've seen it many times,but not after taking this much damage.

But the emotional stress theory stands quite well.That could be the key for unlocking one's DT.But it doesn't stand that way with the Sparda...the reason(s) one can't transform with the Force Edge is becuase it's incoplete[and it's part of the gameplay].For the same reason,Vergil couldn't copy his father's DT when he was holding the Force Edge,even if he was holding the Yamato too.

King of Hell

Must Die
the amulets unlock the Sword, they don't give it power, once the sword is awakened, the sword & the amulet can be separated, & one thing important about the Sparda Sword is that in order fully use it, you need something that demons don't have, love & emotions. that's why Arkham & Sanctus couldn't use Sparda's power very efficiently. Dante's remorse over Vergil fully unlocked the Sparda Sword, & later over Trish fully unlocked the Sparda DT. but we can never tell what exactly awakened Dante, but I think a Sparda Sword + Sparda's blood awakened him, impalement isn't necessary really.

anyway, Dante said in DMC1 "even as a child I had powers", it means not only the DT gives him power, it just amplifies his power, he has shown us a lot of times that he can be a god without DTing, before & after his awakening, Dante & Vergil have amazing healing ability, after they weakened each other in the altar, it took them a few minutes to regain their powers, even though they were both almost equal & probably the only ones who could weaken each other at that time. I don't know why would the Force Edge kill them.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
^It doesn't that he was god mode as a child.I never denied that they had powers as children but the manga proved them far too feeble[the Vergil fight with the goons as 10 year old] in comparisson to when they were in their late teens and finally as adults.The DT doesn't "give them more power",it unlocks their full power.It unlocks the demonic half of their power.Their power is amplified by the years until they reach their natural peak,like the humans and they can augment their power further with experience,training[in the form of Demon Hunting jobs for Dante etc]and other means even during the adventure.[The styles are a good indication of this.]As for what is nessary to fully awaken...unless someone fully confirms it...I stay on my impalement by respective sword/sword the kids chose theory.

Just went back and watched each and every video of DMC1 and...you are right,the Sparda and the amulets can be sperated...weird.But yeah you are right.Maybe they can now be used as simple ornaments instead of unlocking the Sparda's power and awakening and raising the Temen-ni-gru now that they fullfilled their purpose?:huh

King of Hell

Must Die
the amulets allow entry to the underworld, that was their description in DMC1, so I'm assuming that once the amulets awaken Sparda, they can be used as a key on every demon portal. Dante used the perfect amulet to go after Mundus.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
^Yup,rechecked the files and you are correct...damn I suck.And was it really the amulet that let him chase Mundus?Didn't he already created some sort of space-portal wahtever and Dante just followed him with the Sparda DT.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
King of Hell;265661 said:
I meant it allowed him to use the portal to get into the demon world.

Actually, the item that unlocked the gate to the demon world was the Philosopher's Stone, not the Amulet.

King of Hell

Must Die
true. but also read the description:

16544053.jpg

it still served as a key.

moseslmpg

King of Hell;265635 said:
the amulets allow entry to the underworld, that was their description in DMC1, so I'm assuming that once the amulets awaken Sparda, they can be used as a key on every demon portal. Dante used the perfect amulet to go after Mundus.
I don't think that is true. The description in the game was specifically referring to its use in DMC1. It is like a Rusty Key that says "This key can unlock doors." That doesn't mean you can infiltrate Fort Knox or something just with that key.

I don't remember using the amulet as a key to the underworld though...

-----

But anyway, we're supposed to be talking about Elemental DTs here. Sort of related: Would people prefer that Dante resembled the element itself or is it preferable that he looks more beastly and demonic in his DT? Like he could have a weapon, hypothetically, based on a Yeti :p Would it be better for his DT to look Yeti-ish or to look just icy?

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
moseslmpg;265848 said:
But anyway, we're supposed to be talking about Elemental DTs here. Sort of related: Would people prefer that Dante resembled the element itself or is it preferable that he looks more beastly and demonic in his DT? Like he could have a weapon, hypothetically, based on a Yeti :p Would it be better for his DT to look Yeti-ish or to look just icy?

in general it would depend on what type of demon it would look like. as to your yeti example... no yeti DTs. Yeti's are not stylish or cool. they are just hairy. so let's avoid Yeti Dante.

King of Hell

Must Die
moseslmpg;265848 said:
I don't think that is true. The description in the game was specifically referring to its use in DMC1. It is like a Rusty Key that says "This key can unlock doors." That doesn't mean you can infiltrate Fort Knox or something just with that key.

I don't remember using the amulet as a key to the underworld though...

-----

"so, my mother's amulet is the key that unlocks the door to the demon world" Dante DMC3
"originally it was the key to the demon world but was given to humans as a gift" Vergil DMC3

I think it was a key way before Sparda's Rebellion, & still is I assume.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I agree with Moses, although his example was a bit silly. :p

It's like my water DT. In it, Dante looks NOTHING like a human, except maybe the fact that it's still bipedal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom