• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Does anyone love this Dante?

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Well, chaps are for riding, it's not that they're weird, just that they're not for everyday use unless you got a bike or a horse, and like all other rider related things they tend to be expensive.

Dante drives motorbikes man and his outfit is basically the same as the DMC1 one just with chaps over the red pants and the red waist coat is gone and his top underneath has buckles instead.

I personally like this dante , him and DMC1 dante are my favorite

scionicspectre

He wasn't bad, by any means. There was just a lot to him we didn't get to see. You could tell every time he touched Yamato or started to have a real conversation with Nero, he had a hard time being quite so silly. He just figures that if he's got to save the world, why not have a little fun doing it? I mean, even DMC 1 Dante was known to smart talk, although not quite to the same level as perhaps DMC 3 Dante.

On the other hand, his playfulness in 4 only seemed to highlight the fanservicey feeling to the game in general. While it was nice to get a sense of continuity that wasn't really strong in previous titles, it kind of gave the feeling that it wasn't a real improvement outside of the visuals. Of course, given Dante's complete lack of character development (especially compared to Nero), I can see why this feeling would extend to Dante himself.

Still, I think it's reasonable that Dante could have at least one game to cool off and stop worrying about his family issues, although that's not necessarily a great thing from a storytelling point of view.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Dante drives motorbikes man and his outfit is basically the same as the DMC1 one just with chaps over the red pants and the red waist coat is gone and his top underneath has buckles instead.
He took a boat to Fortuna, ese, not a motorcycle. He took a boat. In 1 it was his bike that Trish drove through his front door but I saw no bikes in Fortuna.

scionicspectre

In 1 it was his bike that Trish drove through his front door but I saw no bikes in Fortuna.

The only explanation is that he didn't realize they were a good idea until some time after DMC 1, then continued to wear them as a fashion statement even when they were impractical, much to Trish and Lady's chagrin.

(or, you know, they're pointless)

Viper

Premium
He took a boat to Fortuna, ese, not a motorcycle. He took a boat. In 1 it was his bike that Trish drove through his front door but I saw no bikes in Fortuna.
Since we don't know where Fortuna is in regards to his city, he could have rode a bike and then got on a boat. Fortuna is a tight-knit community and vary of strangers, it is possible he left his bike somewhere safe and opted for jumping across rooftops for convenience and to not raise as much attention as a roaring engine would. In fact, he has once been seen ditching a vehicle he owns because it was no longer safe to ride in it, so why wouldn't he do it again.

LoyalDanteFan

He wasn't bad, by any means. There was just a lot to him we didn't get to see. You could tell every time he touched Yamato or started to have a real conversation with Nero, he had a hard time being quite so silly. He just figures that if he's got to save the world, why not have a little fun doing it? I mean, even DMC 1 Dante was known to smart talk, although not quite to the same level as perhaps DMC 3 Dante.

On the other hand, his playfulness in 4 only seemed to highlight the fanservicey feeling to the game in general. While it was nice to get a sense of continuity that wasn't really strong in previous titles, it kind of gave the feeling that it wasn't a real improvement outside of the visuals. Of course, given Dante's complete lack of character development (especially compared to Nero), I can see why this feeling would extend to Dante himself.

Still, I think it's reasonable that Dante could have at least one game to cool off and stop worrying about his family issues, although that's not necessarily a great thing from a storytelling point of view.

I like this response. I honestly would like to see Dante be a little more serious, but not like DMC2. I don't want him to lose his humor. ^w^

Devil Player

He was ok for the first couple of missions. Then, he got annoying fast!

When our hero stops caring about what's going on, why should I care about what will happen to him? Zero character development, zero danger, zero challenge for Dante.

There's a difference between being funny and thinking you're being funny. Dante had way too many snide remarks for my taste. It's almost like they did the opposite of what happened to DMC 2, on purpose.

Dante barely talked in DMC 2. Now Dante barely keeps his mouth shut in DMC 4.

Dante is a guy who knows how to be serious and how to use his clever snide remarks and sarcasm at the right moment. That worked in DMC 1. DMC 3 I forgive, because he was young and not mature yet. However, Dante lost his touch in DMC 4. He got boring, dull and over the top. I hope they hire a doctor to help during his character development for a future game. He keeps changing attitude in each damn game, lol.

LoyalDanteFan

He was ok for the first couple of missions. Then, he got annoying fast!

When our hero stops caring about what's going on, why should I care about what will happen to him? Zero character development, zero danger, zero challenge for Dante.

There's a difference between being funny and thinking you're being funny. Dante had way too many snide remarks for my taste. It's almost like they did the opposite of what happened to DMC 2, on purpose.

Dante barely talked in DMC 2. Now Dante barely keeps his mouth shut in DMC 4.

Dante is a guy who knows how to be serious and how to use his clever snide remarks and sarcasm at the right moment. That worked in DMC 1. DMC 3 I forgive, because he was young and not mature yet. However, Dante lost his touch in DMC 4. He got boring, dull and over the top. I hope they hire a doctor to help during his character development for a future game. He keeps changing attitude in each damn game, lol.

DMC2 is the last one chronologically, and I have no idea HOW he got like that. He looked and sounded sexy, but he was too dull and quiet for my taste. I guess that's why I love DMC4 Dante. I adore him, but I do get your points. I've been noticing his lack of challenge and character development, but it doesn't ruin it for me. I love him. Now if he became more realistic, character-wise and when in situations, I would love him more! Lol But nevertheless, I don't have problems with him.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Im not a fan of either the anime or 4's direction but I would admit this Dante is way better than anime Dante because he was fun to watch.

His outfit is not as bad as people claim it to be because Lars from Tekken takes that cake (he is an anime monstrosity:grumpy:).

I think my main issue with Dante is that he is more of a static figure here and in the anime but thats more because the writers then him.

Last edited:

scionicspectre

He's a fun guy- I've got nothing against him. I think it's the history of the character that brings such fondness for him. I mean, this is the most realistic original canon Dante we've had (visually), and you can see bits and pieces of his past in his reactions to things related to his family and Vergil in particular. It's hard to forget who he was so I still have a soft spot for the guy, even if he's being a bit of a goofball from time to time.

Besides, if he weren't having so much fun during the game, I doubt I would have enjoyed it as much, either.

Frazz

General gamer
I love Reuben Langdon as the character but I admit that Dante in this game is too infallible. Too perfect. I understand that it's more Nero's story but he just isn't as interesting as Dante and watching the growth that he had in DMC3 is marred by a lack of mature qualities in 4. I still think he's likeable but if they make a DMC5 he needs to be more mature whilst being fun so that he may remain engaging. He is at least not as bad as DMC2:)

LoyalDanteFan

Im not a fan of either the anime or 4's direction but I would admit this Dante is way better than anime Dante because he was fun to watch.

His outfit is not as bad as people claim it to be because Lars from Tekken takes that cake (he is an anime monstrosity:grumpy:).

I think my main issue with Dante is that he is more of a static figure here and in the anime but thats more because the writers then him.

I honestly would love to see him have character development. I never had a problem with him, but it would make me love him more. ^w^

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
What do you expect from character made by Naruto maker :/

As for DMC4 and DMC3 Dante character development, basically it's like difference (not talking about tone now) between old Dredd film and new one. In old Dredd was central character and story spinned around his personal struggle. In new one he basically remains same for the whole film acting as teacher to Anderson. Same happens to Dante. In DMC3 he is main character and all spins around him. In DMC4 he is supporting figure and doesn't have character development, because it's game about Nero not about him. Perhaps if we get DMC5 we can see more Original Dante development.

Top Bottom